Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Been a long time: Long Campaign, Germans in 1939

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW AAR/DAR >> Been a long time: Long Campaign, Germans in 1939 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Been a long time: Long Campaign, Germans in 1939 - 8/9/2009 4:46:29 AM   
azraelck

After Action Report: Sept. 6th, 1939

Polish forces launch a counter-attack to German rear, my battalion was ordered to hold them for about 2 hours. This was to allow German High Command a chance to organize a substantial response and defeat the main thrust. I decided that my battalion would be that response.

I opted for a classic envelopment. My center section, comprised entirely of B company backed by a detached squadron of light cavalry, would fall back into pre-planned positions, after their 88's destroyed most of the Polish armor. The flanking infantry would move to attack polish flanks, while my remaining cavalry would move to their rear.

In the end, things did not go quite as planned. My trucks were unable to extricate the 88's, and I would not allow them to be left. My additional cavalry refused to enter the fight, until I marched back there and personally gave the order after shooting the squadron commander. And the damn Poles attacked C company with far greater force than anticipated, requiring my right wing of cavalry to counter attack to save my infantry.

In the end, however, I only lost 106 men, 1 truck, 1 mortar, and a mortar that was abandoned by it's cowardly crew.

Notable events: One 50mm Mortar crew was assaulted by no less than two platoons of Polish infantry, supported by one section of cavalry. A lone squad of riflemen charged forward, and while we lost the crew, together they scattered the entire Polish force, and drove them back into the cover of smoke and shell holes. That same unit saved a Panzer IVc from destruction by engaging another Polish unit in hand to hand combat, then remained by that Panzer for the remainder of the battle, fighting off several attempts to destroy it.

One light mortar was abandoned by it's crew when they came under heavy mortar fire themselves. They have been shot for desertion.

Notes on Polish combat effectiveness: The poles seem to lack any competent AT capability. The only weapons they brought forth were their own tanks, and anti-tank rifles. One Panzer IVc withstood over two dozen hits from such rifles, with no real damage. Interestingly, after the battle we found several AT guns that were never brought forward.

Not enough data on how well Polish armor stands up to ours. Our 88's knocked out nearly the entire force prior to any major engagement, and what was left was knocked out by our Panzers and infantry.

They seem to focus in on large-scale infantry operations, with support from horse cavalry. While fairly mobile, they lack versatility. They simply had no answer for our heavy AA weapons being turned down on their heads. At least 5 companies worth of infantry were accounted for, with unknown numbers having retreated after only a half hour of fighting.

Note to self: Get a damn transport. It takes too long to run from place to place and give orders when the radio isn't working (which it usually isn't).

Recon indicates the Poles are not giving up, and have mustered a larger force to try and push through my sector. Again I have been ordered to delay, not stop, the enemy. Again, I fully intend to stop them cold.

As my left wing had scarcely entered combat before enemy forces broke and fled, I am planning a slightly different approach. We have a few days to select the field, and prepare it.

Other notes: Anti-tank rifles are useless. The crews I had in my battalion have been moved to replace losses in the infantry. They are being replaced by Panzer II's scavanged from another command. I need more trucks. And mortar crews that don't drop rounds on my men, and stay at their posts when they get hit with enemy fire.

On the other hand, I need more men like I have in my infantry, especially C company. One squad continued to fight when decimated down to only 3 men standing! Those 3 captured an enemy squad, and destroyed one tank.

"Wait... Holden was a cat. Suddenly it makes sense."
Post #: 1
RE: Been a long time: Long Campaign, Germans in 1939 - 8/9/2009 5:20:37 AM   
azraelck

After only around 20 minutes, we have some data on the effectiveness of Polish armor. Not very. A small group was able to close to within 50 meters, thanks to smoke obscuring the LOS of the nearest flak and panzer units. They very quickly found themselves wishing they were much farther away from my infantry. Now, they are in hell.

Of course, so am I, and ever other man in this God-damned battle. I wonder if the hell the tankers are in is better than this hell?

Otherwise, their tanks have found much the same fate as those used a few days ago. Destroyed before finding much use.

Again I find myself in the wrong place. The poles have learned quickly, choosing to attack during a thunderstorm to negate the advantage out 88's give us, as well as concentrating on the center instead of spread out from center to my right. One platoon is at nearly half strength already. Still, I'm waiting before ordering in my reserves. Only if they breach the line will I commit them earlier than I want to. I am moving, along with a couple of reserve PzkwIVc's, to the center where I can better direct the efforts there. A is not even fighting at the moment, while C, on my left flank, has only minor action to report. B alone shoulders the burden of this fight for the moment, and they are performing admirably.

Up close, the Poles are more effective. However, they still fall quickly to our MG34's and the recently "acquired" SiG33 15cm guns.

My new, shiny PzkwII's are proving less useful. Hopefully, that will change. I do not like deadbeat equipment.

*Edit*

My PzkwII's are becoming very useful. Isolated counterattacks with them have proven effective; the 2cm flak being good at tearing through enemy infantry and cavalry, and tolerable at taking out the light tanks we now face.

On a whole, I'm attempting to force my men to move forward, to no avail. We need to get close, and get out of this hellish artillery barrage. The poles came armed for bear. Most of B is routing despite my best efforts. If something doesn't happen soon, I'll be calling in the reserves.

C has finally engaged the enemy. Their forward observer attempted to assault a tank, and was pinned down under heavy fire. A Panzer II destroyed the tank, and is trying to retrieve the FO team.

< Message edited by azraelck -- 8/9/2009 5:36:16 AM >

(in reply to azraelck)
Post #: 2
RE: Been a long time: Long Campaign, Germans in 1939 - 8/9/2009 6:09:52 AM   
azraelck

It took some ass kicking, but I got something moving. I don't know what, but it's moving. I'm far too old and out of it for this.

While the poles opened a gap in my line, neatly wiping out an entire platoon, they have been in constant retreat since. I've ordered an all out assault, and have managed to thus far simply force them back inch by inch. The Panzer II's are coming into their own here, their 2cm guns wrecking havoc with the dense formations employed by the poles. What few enemy tanks have shown themselves have been quickly destroyed by my Panzer IV's.

And a goat, which seems to be wandering about the battlefield.

I now have them in a pincer, though it's far from being assured. I'm trying to teach my HQ staff how to load a K98k. Where do they get these people? Bah!

(in reply to azraelck)
Post #: 3
RE: Been a long time: Long Campaign, Germans in 1939 - 8/9/2009 6:55:24 AM   
azraelck

My second engagement is a success. The Polish troops have again fled, despite significant advantage in manpower.

This time, my losses were a bit more severe. 135 men won't be going home, and 6 tanks are scrap metal now. Three of those men were in my own HQ staff. I managed to kill three in return before being drug back into a Panzer and evacuated.

Recon teams observed at least 3 more companies of infantry leaving the area, as well as some artillery and field guns. Had they the heart to continue the fight they may have stood a chance.

Notable events were few; everyone fought like legends. No one deserted their posts. However, one FO did make some foolish mistakes, such as assaulting a tank. A lone Panzer II charged in, destroyed 4 tanks, and picked up the sole survivor of the team. They then continued to fight, inflicting heavy losses on infantry in the area even after the 2cm main gun malfunctioned.

Our tank armaments need to improve in that regard. Half my Panzer IV's lost their main gun, and a number of MG34's also failed in the heat of battle. This is unacceptable to me.

Our next mission is a change of venue. We are to take out a French blocking force at Cambrai. Or Camp Jerry, or whatever. Who cares. I "acquired" some halftracks in a poker game last night, so my plan is to use my mechanized forces to breach the French picket fence. Afterwards, the Cavalry will be sent with some armor to secure rear objectives and cut off French retreat, while the main force rolls up their flank. Any troops unable to gain transport will be picked up by returning halftracks at the staging area.

I was assigned a special-ops unit today as well. I have no idea why. I'm fairly sure I didn't win them in that poker game too.

If the halftracks work out, I may seek to get some on a permanent basis. Maybe replace one of my Cavalry squadrons with halftracks, then replace the other with more infantry. Who knows?

< Message edited by azraelck -- 8/9/2009 7:11:39 AM >

(in reply to azraelck)
Post #: 4
RE: Been a long time: Long Campaign, Germans in 1939 - 8/9/2009 11:35:17 AM   
azraelck

Well that sucks...

I had just stomped the French, and was wondering when and if the battle would officially end. I was literally wandering around locating artillery and other rear area units, and organizing the bulk of my forces for no apparent reason, when the game crashed. I don't think I saved either. :P

Whats bad is the game could have ended about 10 turns prior. All the thing did was give me a chance to nab the last 4 flags, and go hunting for about 7 turns.

(in reply to azraelck)
Post #: 5
RE: Been a long time: Long Campaign, Germans in 1939 - 8/10/2009 2:06:57 AM   
Riun T

hey AZ,haven't talked to u forever! just wondering why we didn't get any screenshots on this effort??

(in reply to azraelck)
Post #: 6
RE: Been a long time: Long Campaign, Germans in 1939 - 8/11/2009 3:57:06 AM   
azraelck

Because I have no functional artillery screen, and can't remember half the interface right now. :P Seriously, I just forgot to bring up UOSU before playing. I tend to do that unless I specifically am loading a game for screen shots. All of the above AAR was played in one sitting. One LONG sitting, from about 6pm to 5am the next morning. I haven't done that in years. 

(in reply to Riun T)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW AAR/DAR >> Been a long time: Long Campaign, Germans in 1939 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI