Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Enquiring weathermen want to know...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Enquiring weathermen want to know... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Enquiring weathermen want to know... - 8/13/2009 12:59:06 PM   
2Stepper

So how's the weather in the Pacific Region? :)

Aka, how's the weather model in the game? As a now retired weather man I didn't have any hand in it's work unfortunately (despite wishing I could), but from the earliest tells I've seen, it seems good.

Certainly the graphics of it are far better rendered, which I appreciate. I just wanted to see generally what people thought, and/or if it had an impact. Once I can actually find some magical spare time, I'm looking forward to delving into it further.

Respectfully,
2Stepper

"Send in the Infantry. Tanks cost money... the dead cost nothing..." :)
Post #: 1
RE: Enquiring weathermen want to know... - 8/13/2009 1:08:10 PM   
Mike Scholl

Truthfully, it still likes to get "too wet".  It's something that is being worked on..., and if you are offering to help out, you should contact J Wilkerson.

(in reply to 2Stepper)
Post #: 2
RE: Enquiring weathermen want to know... - 8/13/2009 4:36:44 PM   
Terminus

Yeah, "2Step" to it...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 3
RE: Enquiring weathermen want to know... - 8/13/2009 6:19:58 PM   
Dili

It doesn't appear to have much influence in attacks and mission abortion.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 4
RE: Enquiring weathermen want to know... - 8/13/2009 6:20:47 PM   
Terminus

Yeah, well... Appearances are deceiving...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 5
RE: Enquiring weathermen want to know... - 8/13/2009 6:36:49 PM   
Iridium

Like most tropical areas they are always giving a chance of rain, thunderstorms etc.(except this forecast is everywhere)...I guess it actually happens sometimes. Hasn't stopped war from occurring though.

Yamato, IMO the best looking Battleship.

"Hey, a packet of googly eyes! I'm so taking these." Hank Venture

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 6
RE: Enquiring weathermen want to know... - 8/13/2009 6:43:02 PM   
John Lansford

I have to disagree that weather isn't influencing my combat reports.  I've seen many, many TF's report that they cannot launch scout planes due to the weather, and have seen LBA do the same (or not find the nearby enemy TF because of overcast conditions).  It does appear that the entire Pacific is one big monsoon region, though, given the number of rainy/overcast days I've seen.

(in reply to Iridium)
Post #: 7
RE: Enquiring weathermen want to know... - 8/13/2009 7:15:47 PM   
Erik Rutins

Weather definitely affects combat results as well, even when it does not prevent a combat from occurring.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to John Lansford)
Post #: 8
RE: Enquiring weathermen want to know... - 8/13/2009 7:28:33 PM   
witpqs

The mouse-over that shows the weather that just occurred in a given hex with units/TF's (if I interpret the mouse-over info correctly) is quite nice and helps to explain what just took place with combat or lack thereof.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 9
RE: Enquiring weathermen want to know... - 8/13/2009 7:42:00 PM   
Knavey

I have always thought the best weather forecast was the 50/50 one...either it will rain, or maybe it won't.

You are always batting 1.000 when you toss that one out there.

I love the 7 day forecasts that look like this (Florida) 50/50/50/40/50/50/40

Come on guys...what gives with those 40 percents? Its Florida!

x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 10
RE: Enquiring weathermen want to know... - 8/13/2009 8:08:15 PM   
MadmanRick

I've noticed that the weather seems to affect combat a great deal, particularly A2A, but others as well. I kept the KB near the Hawaiian Islands for 3 straight days and the only attack on Pearl that was launched took place the very first day, the rest of the time the attacks were aborted due to weather. Seems a bit too excessive to me.

"Our lives begin to end the moment we become silent about things that matter". Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

(in reply to Knavey)
Post #: 11
RE: Enquiring weathermen want to know... - 8/21/2009 12:01:45 AM   
awadley

I have noticed that my CV patrol in the Indian Ocean is always under a cloud.  They are unable to launch air search or ASW patrol because of weather.  That is every turn for the last 13 straight days.  This seams like a bit much.  The patrol zone is 4 hex by 4 hex by 3 hex, a triangle.  Other ships outside of this area by about 4 to 6 hexes are not effected.

Gunner USMCR
Post #: 12
RE: Enquiring weathermen want to know... - 8/21/2009 12:29:28 AM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: awadley

I have noticed that my CV patrol in the Indian Ocean is always under a cloud.  They are unable to launch air search or ASW patrol because of weather.  That is every turn for the last 13 straight days.  This seams like a bit much.  The patrol zone is 4 hex by 4 hex by 3 hex, a triangle.  Other ships outside of this area by about 4 to 6 hexes are not effected.

Basically, "Variable Weather" ISN'T. For some reason, things all over the map tend to get wetter and wetter over the course of the game.

(in reply to awadley)
Post #: 13
RE: Enquiring weathermen want to know... - 8/21/2009 8:58:13 AM   
moose1999

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

The mouse-over that shows the weather that just occurred in a given hex with units/TF's (if I interpret the mouse-over info correctly) is quite nice and helps to explain what just took place with combat or lack thereof.

Could anyone verify if this is true?
I thought the weather-info in the mouse-over were a forecast for the coming turn.
It would, however, be very helpful if it described the weather from the previous turn...

regards,

Briny

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 14
RE: Enquiring weathermen want to know... - 8/21/2009 9:35:39 AM   
jomni

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: awadley

Basically, "Variable Weather" ISN'T. For some reason, things all over the map tend to get wetter and wetter over the course of the game.

Haven't played a whole year but if you look at it, the game covers both the northern and southern hemisphere. You will definitely find rain at any time of the year. And rainy seasons in the tropics last months so you can definitely have cloudy days for 13 straight days. But I'm also not sure if the game models weather as in real life but so far I don't think it is overdone.

But I do think that scouting is a bit overly sensitive to clouds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_rain_belt

< Message edited by jomni -- 8/21/2009 9:48:27 AM >

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 15
RE: Enquiring weathermen want to know... - 8/21/2009 10:28:12 AM   
tacfire

It seems to me that the weather is really impacting air patrols heavily.  I do like the new graphics.  It would be nice if the forecast could predict "morning showers" or "afternoon showers" or "night storms"  leaving some windows of opportunity for improved visibility in a 12-hour phase even though there is a thunderstorm on that day. 

I also wish the weather patterns could be more localized, and tracked so you can get a better idea where the storms are and in what direction they are moving, right now the zones are so big and it seems to me kind of random where the storms hit from day to day making it hard to predict where the weather is going to do next.  But that would probably be hard to do with the current game engine.

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Enquiring weathermen want to know... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI