Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

skip bombing

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> skip bombing Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
skip bombing - 6/7/2002 2:07:13 PM   
strollen

Ok why don't my bombers skip bomb.

Its late Sept. I select 2 experienced (71,73) Mitchell squadrons. Set altitude to 100 feet. Watch as the AP convoy sails from PM past my base in Gili Gili.

A20s, B26, SBD all score multiple hits. Even Hudsons and P39 get a couple of hits in. But my good experience, good morale B25 just strafe and score 0 bomb hits in 2 rounds of attacks. (The range was 3 hexes). Heck if they were only going to strafe I'll wait tell the B25J become available they at least have lots of forward firepower.

What I am doing wrong?
Post #: 1
- 6/7/2002 4:25:55 PM   
corbulo

I have been having the same problem getting my LBA to do naval attack in general. I dont know if it has anything to do with the naval search setting when you select naval attack. In any event, my commanders refuse to conduct skip bombing, ie, they just "skip" the whole mission!:(

virtute omne regatur

(in reply to strollen)
Post #: 2
Barge Busting - 6/7/2002 5:04:21 PM   
Ron Saueracker

For some reason, my LBA ignores barge TFs...not one instance of them attacking, despite the barge TF being the only "naval" target around. Possible bug?

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to strollen)
Post #: 3
Re: Barge Busting - 6/7/2002 5:52:26 PM   
Spooky

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ron Saueracker
[B]For some reason, my LBA ignores barge TFs...not one instance of them attacking, despite the barge TF being the only "naval" target around. Possible bug? [/B][/QUOTE]

Hum, see p.83 of the manual

LBA (except fighter-bombers) must be given an altitude of 100' in order to strike barges or PT boats

PS : my fighter-bombers (P-39, P400) are quite effective againt japanese barges :)

(in reply to strollen)
Post #: 4
- 6/7/2002 5:57:58 PM   
HARD_SARGE

For AG's, my Wirraways have been tearing them up, strange though, off the top of my head, I can't really remember if any of my twin or four engine bombers have ever gone after them ?, may be they are FB type targets, not importent enough for the big boys ??

for skip bombing, I also have never seen it work, seen where you suppost to set to 100 ft, but notice after the attack that my bombers came in at 1000 ft, check the unit and they were set for 100 ???

also for the Beufighter, notice that when it strafes, it only hits with the 303, have never seen a 20 mm hit

now that I got high exp squadrons, I seem to of run out of targets to use them on :(

HARD_Sarge

(in reply to strollen)
Post #: 5
- 6/7/2002 7:06:42 PM   
AlvinS

[B][QUOTE]I have been having the same problem getting my LBA to do naval attack in general. I dont know if it has anything to do with the naval search setting when you select naval attack. In any event, my commanders to conduct skip bombing, ie, they just "skip" the whole mission![/QUOTE] [/B]

Naval search level does have an effect on LBA performing a naval attack. I normally set my PBY's to 100% naval search and leave my other aircraft set to 0 for naval search. With this set up, my LBA that are set for naval attack seem to attack rather well. I turned back an entire IJN landing at Gili Gili with this setting.

I misunderstood the manual in the beginning and thought that a higer naval search level would increase the chance that my LBA would attack. Then I realized that if everyone is on a naval search mission no one is available to fly the attack missions.

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." ---Mark Twain

Naval Warfare Simulations

AlvinS

(in reply to strollen)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> skip bombing Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI