Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

ASW??

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> ASW?? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
ASW?? - 8/14/2009 12:13:27 PM   
Flying Tiger

in WitP ASW was easy - using subs effectively was a challenge. Now it seems the situation has reversed. How do i perform effective ASW? I have half my AF on ASW search, plus several ASW TFs running around uselessly, but no success. The ASW TFs do not seem to react to subs, but subs definitely react to other TFs.

Any suggestions would be helpful. I'm playing Allies in campaign 1, and the jap subs are killing me.
Post #: 1
RE: ASW?? - 8/14/2009 12:19:10 PM   
EUBanana

Theres a thread on it in the war room.

But it's not easy, subs are mean in AE. 

(in reply to Flying Tiger)
Post #: 2
RE: ASW?? - 8/14/2009 12:28:40 PM   
spence

"Olde Vanillie" promoted behavior by the players that was exactly opposite of what proved effective IRL.

In 1939 the Brits had all sorts of TFs running around hunting the U-boats from one end of the empty ocean to the other finding nearly nothing and sinking somewhat less than that. Finally by 1943 it was found that flying a/c in direct support of individual convoys and having support groups of warships which joined specific convoys which were actually under attack located and sank lots of U-boats.

A lot of the USN success in the Pacific which did not follow this pattern followed another pattern (ULTRA said "meet the IJN submarine at x,y...sink it".

Such success as the Japanese had was mostly with a/c and ships assigned to support convoys that were actually under attack by Allied submarines (in the manner of the Allies in the Atlantic).

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 3
RE: ASW?? - 8/14/2009 12:36:51 PM   
John Lansford

ASW TF's will react to strongly identified subs; the only places I've had reactions is around Pearl Harbor (have about 4 squadrons on ASW there) and Los Angeles (about the same number there and a San Diego).  Otherwise they just cruise around on their patrol routes and keep the subs' heads down.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> ASW?? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI