Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Best turn based air pc game?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Best turn based air pc game? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Best turn based air pc game? - 4/11/2009 2:50:44 PM   
Moster

Also would be interested in any other air game favorites.
Post #: 1
RE: Best turn based air pc game? - 4/11/2009 3:40:07 PM   
Custer1961

IMHO, Flight Commander 2 is the best turn based air game.  The game follows tactical air combat from Korea to the 1990's.  The modern era is not so fun in this game but if you play Vietnam era or even Korean era, it is amazing.  

I think this game was done by the same guys that did Combat Mission.  I would love to see World War II era covered in Flight Commander 2, but as it is, this game is tremondous. 

(in reply to Moster)
Post #: 2
RE: Best turn based air pc game? - 4/11/2009 3:47:30 PM   
Capt. Harlock

Oddly enough, I actually had more fun playing SSI's ancient "Fighter Command", than I did with "Europe Ablaze". A winter morning with a cup of hot cocoa and watching the German raids begin to show up on radar is one of my better memories.

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Custer1961)
Post #: 3
RE: Best turn based air pc game? - 4/11/2009 3:56:56 PM   
PunkReaper

Why on the Pc.... Try Wings of War miniatures. Great fun!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 4
RE: Best turn based air pc game? - 4/11/2009 8:57:04 PM   
JudgeDredd

My brother and I had this when we were young...loved it.

Battle of Britain by Talonsoft was kind of turn based

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 5
RE: Best turn based air pc game? - 4/11/2009 9:50:50 PM   
E

quote:

ORIGINAL: Custer

IMHO, Flight Commander 2 is the best turn based air game. The game follows tactical air combat from Korea to the 1990's. The modern era is not so fun in this game but if you play Vietnam era or even Korean era, it is amazing.

Yes, FC2 was done by the same guy as Combat Mission... FC2 is still on my hard drive and gets played every now and again. It really captures that "I'm playing a modern scenario in Avalon Hill's Air Force but with sound effects" feeling.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Custer

I think this game was done by the same guys that did Combat Mission. I would love to see World War II era covered in Flight Commander 2, but as it is, this game is tremondous.

They did do WWII in the guise of "Achtung Spitfire" and "Over The Reich," however the boardgame feel was missing from those titles. (they went to an isometric view that was still a flat playing field with no grids).

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

Oddly enough, I actually had more fun playing SSI's ancient "Fighter Command", than I did with "Europe Ablaze". A winter morning with a cup of hot cocoa and watching the German raids begin to show up on radar is one of my better memories.

I still love Fighter Command... it's still on my hard drive as well (for use with an Apple II Emulator). In fact I just got a hold of a second copy with unpunched counters and did a Vassal module for it!

(in reply to Custer1961)
Post #: 6
RE: Best turn based air pc game? - 4/12/2009 12:16:40 AM   
gunny

I still play Achtung Spitfire! works in XP. I have it on my older laptop for trips. I don't think this type of game could be redone any better without changing the game play. Really well designed Air strategy game. 

(in reply to E)
Post #: 7
RE: Best turn based air pc game? - 4/12/2009 4:48:50 AM   
madgamer2

In going through my board game collection I came across a copy of a old rare game covering the German air attack on England called "Eagle Day" It was a great game and was published in the early 70's.
There was a SPI game in one of there S&T's I think it was called Flying Circus" or something like that. We had a bunch of guys who got together to play games and I had a wing man who when He saw the Germans approach he turned around and ran away. I was so mad I did a few quick turns and such and shot him down myself and got one of the Germans before I got shot down.

Madgamer

(in reply to Moster)
Post #: 8
RE: Best turn based air pc game? - 4/16/2009 8:03:21 AM   
Moster

I remember a turn-based C64 game, I believe called USAAF, that was about world war 2 bombing runs. Is there anything out there like that now?

(in reply to Moster)
Post #: 9
RE: Best turn based air pc game? - 4/16/2009 12:21:17 PM   
sapper_astro

I wish I knew where to get a new copy of Achtung spitfire. I played that thing to death.

As for a strategic game, it would probably be my ancient C64 copy of SSG's battle of Britain game. I cannot remember the games name at the moment for the life of me. So many hours of fun.

(in reply to Moster)
Post #: 10
RE: Best turn based air pc game? - 4/16/2009 1:15:33 PM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: sapper_astro

I wish I knew where to get a new copy of Achtung spitfire. I played that thing to death.

As for a strategic game, it would probably be my ancient C64 copy of SSG's battle of Britain game. I cannot remember the games name at the moment for the life of me. So many hours of fun.

eBay

(in reply to sapper_astro)
Post #: 11
RE: Best turn based air pc game? - 4/16/2009 2:55:04 PM   
sapper_astro

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: sapper_astro

eBay

Judge, you are a legend.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 12
RE: Best turn based air pc game? - 4/16/2009 5:26:23 PM   
Hard Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Moster

I remember a turn-based C64 game, I believe called USAAF, that was about world war 2 bombing runs. Is there anything out there like that now?

Matrix has a game in the works, that is a "sort" of great-great grand son of USAAF

Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich (formerly Battle of Britain & Bombing the Reich)

from what I hear, it may be released some day

(in reply to Moster)
Post #: 13
RE: Best turn based air pc game? - 4/16/2009 6:31:45 PM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hard Sarge
...from what I hear, it may be released some day

from what I hear you are beta testing it, so I put some weight behind that statement

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 14
RE: Best turn based air pc game? - 4/16/2009 7:41:38 PM   
Widell

Any day..... or....some day?

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 15
RE: Best turn based air pc game? - 4/17/2009 6:26:53 PM   
Hard Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

quote:

...from what I hear, it may be released some day

from what I hear you are beta testing it, so I put some weight behind that statement

well, I am more then a beta tester for it, but yea, you got a point there :)

Widell

well, someday, should be good, it is not really at the any day stage, but it is better then, maybe or down the road

we are working on the Manual and what I hope is the last Exe for it

maybe some touched up artwork

or maybe not

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 16
RE: Best turn based air pc game? - 4/17/2009 10:25:21 PM   
andym

Best WW1 air game i ever played was "Richtoven's War" by Avalon Hill!MANY,MANY happy hours spent with that game. We used miniatures on a large Hex paper map instead of the counters,nothing like hammering around the skies in a Spad!

Press to Test...............Release to Detonate!

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 17
RE: Best turn based air pc game? - 4/19/2009 12:16:01 PM   
Arckon

HPS's Defending the Reich is great little sleeper game in my opinion

(in reply to andym)
Post #: 18
RE: Best turn based air pc game? - 4/20/2009 1:58:33 PM   
Widell

quote:

Widell

well, someday, should be good, it is not really at the any day stage, but it is better then, maybe or down the road

we are working on the Manual and what I hope is the last Exe for it

maybe some touched up artwork

or maybe not

I'm looking forward to it... regardless of what day it arrives. From what I've seen on the forum it'll be a great game!

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 19
RE: Best turn based air pc game? - 4/23/2009 4:10:06 AM   
105mm Howitzer

Amen to that, it was a very cool game. My earliest recollection for computer based game was B-17 on my old Intellivision with the voice module...." Bombs Awaaayyyy" " Fighter, 3 O'Clock, Fighter, 3 O'Clock" Ahhh, warm memories..

quote:

ORIGINAL: andym

Best WW1 air game i ever played was "Richtoven's War" by Avalon Hill!MANY,MANY happy hours spent with that game. We used miniatures on a large Hex paper map instead of the counters,nothing like hammering around the skies in a Spad!

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum" - Publius Renatus, 390 A.D.

(in reply to andym)
Post #: 20
RE: Best turn based air pc game? - 8/14/2009 2:34:42 AM   
E

This thread (and rewatching Baa Baa Blacksheep) got me to reinstall Achtung Spitfire and Over The Reich (the latter after re-buyng it... wonder what happened to my original?).   They're more fun than I remembered for quick dogfights, although it took me a bit to get past the v1.15 won't recognize a valid CD in XP.  I think in the original days I really wanted AH's Air Force (which Flight Commander 2 is closer to, in a way). But I bought the boardgame version of Achtung Spitfire awhile back and while I haven't played it, a read through of the rules got into my subconcious and helped me to appreciate Achtung Spitfire & Over The Riech for the PC more this time around.

(in reply to 105mm Howitzer)
Post #: 21
RE: Best turn based air pc game? - 8/14/2009 2:49:55 AM   
Hanal

quote:

Second that and AH's Luftwaffe was a fun game too........

(in reply to andym)
Post #: 22
RE: Best turn based air pc game? - 8/14/2009 3:13:48 AM   
E

quote:

ORIGINAL: J P Falcon

quote:

AH's Air Force w/Dauntless addon for me.

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 23
RE: Best turn based air pc game? - 8/14/2009 4:26:08 AM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: E

quote:

quote:

Yup, the old Battleline set with the expansion set was a lot of fun. We used to play massive games where each person picked any plane they chose and we all went at it. Fun. Until somebody smart figured out that a B-29 doing lazy ovals and climing away constantly was well nigh undefeatable....

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to E)
Post #: 24
RE: Best turn based air pc game? - 8/14/2009 5:14:09 AM   
sabre1

Is Flight Commander still available someplace? Legally that is...

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 25
RE: Best turn based air pc game? - 8/14/2009 6:35:48 AM   
mllange

Down in Flames is pretty enjoyable, though very different from the equally wonderful Flight Commander II.

There's a simple answer to every complex question - and it's wrong.
-Umberto Eco

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 26
RE: Best turn based air pc game? - 8/14/2009 4:35:09 PM   
SLAAKMAN

The air combat rules to World in Flames is the best wargaming experience Ive ever had. You can command almost all types of WWII aircraft of every side with their system and the battles become more intense as the game progresses. You have not lived until youve played this.

Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill

(in reply to mllange)
Post #: 27
RE: Best turn based air pc game? - 8/15/2009 3:13:55 AM   
E

quote:

ORIGINAL: sabre1

Is Flight Commander still available someplace? Legally that is...

Yes... Ferrengi-bay, I mean E-bay (sorry, the Trekkie in me). A bit pricey at times, so you may want to go into vulture mode for a bit. Also note that Flight Commander 2 does not suffer from the copy protection that prohibits use on later windows (ie. Achtung Spitfire & Over The Reich require hex edits to run the last versions & bypass the CD check that will not pass under XP, whereas FC2 has no problem with XP and or it's CD/DVD drivers... go figure that FC2 was an earlier program to boot)

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 28
RE: Best turn based air pc game? - 8/15/2009 3:36:15 AM   
E

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

Fighter Command! My favorite game of all time! The only thing lacking was a way to adjust or recall patrols (which Grigsby put into USAAF). I recently did a Vassal module for tracking Fighter Command for those with limited desk space. I never did get into SSG games. I still have all but maybe one of them (for the collection), but never got into them back then... it was the "RETURN, RETURN, RETURN, RETURN, Y, ESCAPE, ESCAPE, RETURN, RETURN," ad infinitum...

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 29
RE: Best turn based air pc game? - 8/15/2009 4:46:32 AM   
bradfordkay

quote:

ORIGINAL: E

quote:

quote:

This was originally released by Battleline Games (whose library was purchased by Avalon Hill) and a favorite of mine. Actually, I can't think of a game that the designers (Craig Taylor and Steve Peek) of Air Force/Dauntless created that I didn't like... Flattop, Wooden Ships and Iron Men, Air Force/Dauntless, Wings, Ironclads, Trireme... the list goes on...

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to E)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Best turn based air pc game? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI