Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: HOI3

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: HOI3 Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: HOI3 - 8/13/2009 9:20:32 PM   
carnifex

Lol CT north of NJ? New York and Danbury on the wrong side of the Hudson? Sigh.

(in reply to RyanCrierie)
Post #: 181
RE: HOI3 - 8/13/2009 9:37:08 PM   
Widell

quote:

ORIGINAL: carnifex
Lol CT north of NJ? New York and Danbury on the wrong side of the Hudson? Sigh.

Those are embarrassing errors that should have been fixed! I'm a form believer in HoI (still including III which I have bought and installed but not tried yet...) but while software bugs is one thing that I can accept to a certain degree, these kind of map errors really takes a lot of the fun out of playing the game (at least for me).

(in reply to carnifex)
Post #: 182
RE: HOI3 - 8/13/2009 11:40:37 PM   
Arctic Blast

quote:

ORIGINAL: jackx

quote:

ORIGINAL: RHoenig

My gripe with this is:
If they can patch all that stuff within 4 weeks after release, why not just postpone release for 4 weeks and give me a playable and enjoyable game.
[...]
Pdox is, after all, developer AND distributer, so no one is pointing a gun at their head, forcing them to RELEASE NOW!

Could be their bank accounts/budget pointing the gun, though I guess even if that is the case, with them being developer and publisher, you could argue that prior preparation and planning... could've helped alleviate such a situation to an extent. ;)

What also strikes me as odd (but still entertaining, as is the rest of this huge flaming barbecue) is the number of "I know it's not playable until after 3-6 months and a truckload of patches, but I bought it right away regardless" posts...

I would suspect perhaps they had a hard and fast release date set with Valve, Stardock, IGN network and the bigger retail stores.

Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.

(in reply to jackx)
Post #: 183
RE: HOI3 - 8/14/2009 1:40:11 AM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: RyanCrierie

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

I really don't mind people with the game sayign what they see - but it really is irking me to see people on here who don't have the game just regurgitating the same old stuff.

JD: explain these then:

See problems?

And the best part is, the Beta testers caught these glaring bugs, notified Paradox of them. Paradox said "No, we won't fix them. The Map is set in stone." and thus, the beta testers began a map mod project BEFORE the game's release.

I love how they could misplace stalingrad by several hundred miles; and put the Port of BALTIMORE in Washington DC.

How in the name of....... could the map designers ever of missed that one? It isn't as if there is a shortage of maps from that era.
On second thought, I think I'll keep my money. Wonder how the fanbois explain this away...

(in reply to RyanCrierie)
Post #: 184
RE: HOI3 - 8/14/2009 2:06:25 AM   
Torplexed

The screw-ups like Buffalo being located in Canada one might be able to attribute to a Swedish company's ignorance with American geography. But Stalingrad hundreds of miles out of place in WW2 Cash Cow Mark III? Plus, why are their maps always so dang blocky and ugly?

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 185
RE: HOI3 - 8/14/2009 4:17:33 AM   
Aurelian

Heh. IIRC, playing the US in the first HOI, one of the CVs being built was named Forrestal.

That error I did let pass. But really, cities and ports where they don't belong???

Love their new rule too. Must be either a member of their forums for awhile, or a registered owner of CashCow mk.III to post there.

And the excuses......."Other companies do it too."

Every game I've bought here I could play right out of the box. No game stopping bugs that I've ever run into.

(in reply to Torplexed)
Post #: 186
RE: HOI3 - 8/14/2009 2:54:51 PM   
Zakhal

I can only imagine that paradox devs are not fans of geography. I bet they hated it in school.

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 187
RE: HOI3 - 8/14/2009 8:17:53 PM   
Hard Sarge

Greesh

I couldn't get the Czech trigger, then can't get the Poland trigger, as N. China had DOW on me (?) (allied with C. China ?)

July 23 I DOW on Poland, that pushes me over the edge, so I DOW on the Czechs too (only don't have much forces on there border)

July 25th and all is going well

July 25th, N. China joins Russia, Russia is now at war with the Axis
July 25th, the USA joins the Allies
July 25th, Sweden joins the Allies

maybe they didn't test the 36 campaign ?

of course, now the issue is, I lose the game, the system is pretty screwed up, if I win, well, it is even worse !!!!

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 188
RE: HOI3 - 8/15/2009 12:02:10 AM   
bairdlander2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Torplexed

The screw-ups like Buffalo being located in Canada one might be able to attribute to a Swedish company's ignorance with American geography. But Stalingrad hundreds of miles out of place in WW2 Cash Cow Mark III? Plus, why are their maps always so dang blocky and ugly?

I llooked I dont see Buffallo NY in Canada.I grew up there and its where it is supposed to be,Now Stalingrad is a totally different story.

(in reply to Torplexed)
Post #: 189
RE: HOI3 - 8/15/2009 1:37:36 AM   
Lützow

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hard Sarge

Greesh

I couldn't get the Czech trigger, then can't get the Poland trigger, as N. China had DOW on me (?) (allied with C. China ?)

July 23 I DOW on Poland, that pushes me over the edge, so I DOW on the Czechs too (only don't have much forces on there border)

of course, now the issue is, I lose the game, the system is pretty screwed up, if I win, well, it is even worse !!!!

Czech trigger is a decision, not an event and it's possible to keep the USA neutral by diplomatic influence. I like the new system, because it is more flexible than the rather predictable outcome of HoI 2. When war began, there were merely UK, France, Poland and South Africa allied, while I had Italy, Japan, Hungary, Jugoslavia and some puppets in my axis. However I failed with Bulgaria and for my next game I rather try to get Denmark. Can't tell about Danzig trigger though, as I assaulted Poland, France, Netherlands and Belgium already 6 months ahead, before they could mobilize their troops.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 190
RE: HOI3 - 8/15/2009 6:22:07 AM   
CheddarLover74

One question.

If you buy online does the downloadable version require you to stay connected?

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 191
RE: HOI3 - 8/15/2009 6:59:23 AM   
Feltan

quote:

ORIGINAL: CheddarLover74

One question.

No. However, you need an online connection to check for updates, etc.

Regards,
Feltan

(in reply to CheddarLover74)
Post #: 192
RE: HOI3 - 8/15/2009 7:33:35 AM   
CheddarLover74

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feltan

quote:

ORIGINAL: CheddarLover74

One question.

No. However, you need an online connection to check for updates, etc.

Regards,
Feltan

Thanks.

I still remember the mess after i bought HOI2 online and you were required to stay connected to play it.The company that handled that had a giant hiccup and no one could play their game for several days.Adding insult to injury was that you had to download a fix from that company afterwards in order to be able to play a game you bought from paradox.

I won't buy any game anymore that requires me to stay online for verification purposes.

Not just because of that incident but as a paying customer i hate being treated like a possible thief.

(in reply to Feltan)
Post #: 193
RE: HOI3 - 8/15/2009 10:40:06 AM   
Hard Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lützow

quote:

Greesh

Czech trigger is a decision, not an event and it's possible to keep the USA neutral by diplomatic influence. I like the new system, because it is more flexible than the rather predictable outcome of HoI 2. When war began, there were merely UK, France, Poland and South Africa allied, while I had Italy, Japan, Hungary, Jugoslavia and some puppets in my axis. However I failed with Bulgaria and for my next game I rather try to get Denmark. Can't tell about Danzig trigger though, as I assaulted Poland, France, Netherlands and Belgium already 6 months ahead, before they could mobilize their troops.

think we just mincing words, trigger/event/decision, what ever, the game took it away from me and wouldn't let me do it

(I think it was based on threat level, and with doing something to raise your threat, nothing happens, and to be honest, the stuff going on with the Czech, is what raises the level)

overall, the Diplo/spy/leader system is interesting, but it shouldn't of been added into the tech section

and overall, I think the Diplo area was very poorly thought out

C China and N China, shouldn't be allies, they are allies because they go to war with Japan, Japan joins the Axis, now they are at war with the Germans, they join the Russians, now the Russians are at war

it shouldn't be easy for Spain to join the Axis, it shouldn't be easy for Ireland to join the Allies, or Sweden

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 194
RE: HOI3 - 8/15/2009 10:51:56 AM   
Hard Sarge

LOL

interesting, you like the diplo side of Influence, well, guess what, it don't work :)

they are working on correcting it

lots and lots of issues in this game (as most people expected)

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 195
RE: HOI3 - 8/15/2009 11:53:44 AM   
Lützow

quote:

think we just mincing words, trigger/event/decision, what ever, the game took it away from me and wouldn't let me do it

(I think it was based on threat level, and with doing something to raise your threat, nothing happens, and to be honest, the stuff going on with the Czech, is what raises the level)

Unlike events which pop up a window and let you either confirm or decline, decision means a certain game mechanic, PI introduced with their last EU III expansion. In HoI 3 decisions occur in diplomacy window when they're due and can be triggered, once the requirements are fulfilled. I can positively confirm this for Rhineland Occupation, Anschluss Austria, Spanish civil war, Sudetenland and Czech crisis.

Anyway, if Czech joins the Allieds pre war, this decision probably is not available. So you should raise threat level of UK and France, in order to make them look bad.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 196
RE: HOI3 - 8/15/2009 2:17:19 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hey guys, I just read through this thread and I've seen a lot of bashing of Paradox/HOI in here. I realize a lot of folks are interested in discussing HOI 3, but if you have criticisms please keep them constructive and specific, general bashing is not ok with us, but criticisms a developer could reasonably use to improve the game are fine.

I do not want to see any more comments like "the devs are lazy" or "the devs don't care" etc. I've yet to meet a lazy dev team that didn't care about their game. If you want to discuss HOI3 and Paradox, discuss based on the facts of the game, not any other assumptions.

Regards,

- Erik

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 8/15/2009 2:19:56 PM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 197
RE: HOI3 - 8/15/2009 3:22:18 PM   
Hard Sarge

Sorry, Erik, but other then saying they are Stupid, it is easier to say they are lazy

from what I have seen so far, this game is not even out of alpha yet

(I find it interesting that N China can be allied with C China, join the Russians and force me to go to war with Russia, then N China decides to join the Allies, and now I am no longer at war with the Russians, you can defeat a sea landing, only to have the landing happen again and again, what is scary, is 80,000 Yanks can't defeat 10,000 Germen, they have landed about 15 times so far, of course it is winter, be glad when my other troops get there (what not trains in this war ?)

simple stuff, units in Reserve, years after you have moblized, Strat bombers being able to do ground attack, but if picked, won't fly a mission, but other options are greyed out

but, enough is enough, I think this is going to be a fun little game, once it gets to Beta, maybe a great game, once it is ready for release

what is scary, the lead guy for the main set of mods for the game, was/is a Alpha testers on the game, makes you wonder if there were not cross ideas going on

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 198
RE: HOI3 - 8/15/2009 3:24:39 PM   
pvthudson01

Well if anyone cares, it on sale the next 48 hours

http://www.gogamer.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=77793649&extid=August1409

Matrix Member since 2003!

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 199
RE: HOI3 - 8/15/2009 3:25:52 PM   
Hard Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lützow

quote:

Unlike events which pop up a window and let you either confirm or decline, decision means a certain game mechanic, PI introduced with their last EU III expansion. In HoI 3 decisions occur in diplomacy window when they're due and can be triggered, once the requirements are fulfilled. I can positively confirm this for Rhineland Occupation, Anschluss Austria, Spanish civil war, Sudetenland and Czech crisis.

Anyway, if Czech joins the Allieds pre war, this decision probably is not available. So you should raise threat level of UK and France, in order to make them look bad.

yes, as I said, i understand Decision vs Event, and know where to look for it and how to read what is needed, the game didn't allow me to do any of the things that were needed,no the Czechs never joined the Allies (never seen what was needed for this one, so maybe C China DOW on me, shut me out of it, but C China should never of went to war with me to start with)

Rhineland Occupation, Anschluss Austria, Spanish civil war, I did get the first two, looked like the 3rd was either a event or just the pop up telling me what happened, I never got the last two

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 200
RE: HOI3 - 8/15/2009 3:29:47 PM   
Hard Sarge

LOL, Sorry Erik, not sure my post comes across that I understand and follow

will be a good boy

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 201
RE: HOI3 - 8/15/2009 3:47:21 PM   
SuluSea

Holy smokes, being a lifelong resident of  Maryland I don't know where to start with this map Philadephia, Atlantic City,  and North East being south of Baltimore?  I'm almost curious enough to get the demo for a few laughs..............On second thought why waste my time and their bandwidth?

< Message edited by SuluSea -- 8/15/2009 3:51:27 PM >

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 202
RE: HOI3 - 8/15/2009 4:17:50 PM   
mllange

quote:

ORIGINAL: SuluSea

Holy smokes, being a lifelong resident of  Maryland I don't know where to start with this map Philadephia, Atlantic City,  and North East being south of Baltimore?  I'm almost curious enough to get the demo for a few laughs..............On second thought why waste my time and their bandwidth?

As a lifelong (42 years and counting) roaming resident of almost every state west of Minnesota (but never east), I couldn't give a flying rat's ass whether North East is south of Baltimore and so forth. In fact, I didn't even know North East existed, and my life has been pretty darn enjoyable in spite of this apparently tragic ommission.

The last time I checked HOI3 was created as a game, and pretty much a sandbox game at that. It appeals to a wide audience (and judging by the # of sales, it is wildly successful); not grognards. From the first time you press 'unpause' in 1936 you are in an entirely alternate reality in terms of history - that's the point of the game. Strange how there are few if any complaints about the ability for Germany to completely change their faction (over a LONG time) if desired or to research only naval techs if desired, or to seek peaceful alternatives to every problem instead of war - and so much focus on relatively small issues with geography. (A few hundred miles is a small issue on a global scale - I used to drive 45 miles for my groceries!)

Pretend the fine citizens of North East moved their community south of Baltimore because they wanted a better view if it bothers you - you're pretending everything else in the game anyway. If you are willing to allow a miniscule issue like that keep you from an otherwise excellent game it is your loss. The map will eventually be corrected in all likelihood for those who care; the rest of the world will enjoy themselves while they wait.

There's a simple answer to every complex question - and it's wrong.
-Umberto Eco

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 203
RE: HOI3 - 8/15/2009 4:41:15 PM   
SuluSea

My point is if someone is careless  with the map which requires nothing more than a google search , I'd guess that other aspects of the game don't get the sort of attention to detail I like my wargames to have.  If you're able to enjoy the game good for you, I know people that love Risk, congratulations. I'm playing Admiral's Edition and soon Eagle Day  so to describe my not playing HOI3 as "your loss" rest assured it's anything but....

"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer

(in reply to mllange)
Post #: 204
RE: HOI3 - 8/15/2009 5:06:51 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: pvthudson01

Well if anyone cares, it on sale the next 48 hours

http://www.gogamer.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=77793649&extid=August1409

Too bad they don't take returns from other vendors...

(in reply to pvthudson01)
Post #: 205
RE: HOI3 - 8/15/2009 6:22:37 PM   
mllange

quote:

My point is if someone is careless  with the map which requires nothing more than a google search , I'd guess that other aspects of the game don't get the sort of attention to detail I like my wargames to have.  If you're able to enjoy the game good for you, I know people that love Risk, congratulations. I'm playing Admiral's Edition and soon Eagle Day  so to describe my not playing HOI3 as "your loss" rest assured it's anything but....

I have no problem with that. I'm playing AE and I'm sure I'll play Eagle Day as well, just as I've played WITP and the Grigsby games they originated from for the last many years. Which is exactly my point... both games are essentially re-makes (or much-enhanced and glorified patches) of the original games years and years ago; the original games had errors, bugs and problems galore (or maybe you forget?) I guess everyone has a limit to their patience - it's just that I'm enjoying both AE and HOI3 at present, and I have plenty of patience for both. I just don't understand the vehement irritation directed toward Paradox on this forum, when the subject of so much adoration (AE for example) has undergone years of correction, fine-tuning and adjustments to make games like AE or Eagle Day possible. WITP was a work in progress when it was released and the air-war over Europe games were even worse - almost unplayable, I should know - I bought them the day they were released.

There's a simple answer to every complex question - and it's wrong.
-Umberto Eco

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 206
RE: HOI3 - 8/15/2009 7:30:18 PM   
Hard Sarge

well, I am still more concerned with gameplay, then with the map, the map is nagging, but can live with it

but the game play, something is wrong

the Yanks in Dec of 1939 tried to land in Cherbough, it is now May 1st 1940, they are still trying to land, 12 or more landings a day, for the last 5 months (that is a lot of clicking, which would shut those boxes off, but other battles are going on that I would like to know about)

which the Yanks then also landed in Brest, in fact, almost won that one, got ashore at least, but my Armor Div drove them back into the sea

at the same time, the Yanks and Swedes landed in Denmarck (my fault, got lazy and didn't seal off the bottleneck)

I think the English are trying to make a landing in Holland, but I have hammered that fleet every time it puts to sea

I have well over 600 PP, but nothing to buy, don't have any manpower, ran out back in 38
(the Mod for Austria, handing over it's troops would of been nice, if I had seen it before I got past the event)

now it is bad, I am bored, so DOW on Russia, figure I may as well get that started

I wounder how many AA guns I have built so far ?

(in reply to mllange)
Post #: 207
RE: HOI3 - 8/16/2009 1:10:01 AM   
Hard Sarge

overall, I think it is going to be a good game of this type !

AI is good, gives you a decent fight

clean out some of the bugs

Aug 8th 1940, took the last of the big 3 cities in Russian (I hope that don't mean I got go all the way around the world to get the other Cap ?)

the Yanks can't get ashore at Cherbough, but have landed twice at Brest, the 2nd time, after I had to rush all my Armor in France down into Spain to save there butt

LW is doing some nasty's around the English ports, some major Airbattles when the Yanks start sending planes across

last I looked, I got 35 units of Tac Air, anything that gets a shore, pays, but oddly, it looks like you can't hit them at the beach, it is either naval attack or nothing ??

of course, those battles ruin your Airforce :)

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 208
RE: HOI3 - 8/16/2009 8:50:56 AM   
RHoenig

Sorry, but I just read this at Pdox´ forum and I couldn´t resist

quote:

pearl harbor captured! by germany!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so i was browsing through the diplomacy screen and I paused for a minute when I noticed that the US had some surrender points, a whole 1.7% of its national cities occupied.

i was surprised, but figured 'ok this is the german AI landing in NY'... so i look all over mainland USA, nothing. I check alaska, nothing. I think maybe the caribbean or panama? nope!

so then i skim over into the pacific, and to my surprise PH is occupied by germany!

some few game weeks earlier I had seen the GER bismarck fleet in the dutch east indies, i thought they were helping me out. guess the AI had an alterior motive.

i've been delaying joining the axis war against the allies because of pearl, so i suppose i should be thankful of the AI

"Tell the King: After the battle my head is at his disposal, during the battle he may allow me to use it!
GenLt. Seydlitz to Frederik the Great after disobeying an order to attack

R. Hoenig, Germany

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 209
RE: HOI3 - 8/16/2009 12:43:07 PM   
Joram

quote:

That's a fair point Sulu. Wish more people would construct their arguments like that instead of simply troll like they have been. HS's comments reflect what I was worried about from the demo but if he thinks some patches could clean it up, then I may get it at a later date knowing our tastes are similar.

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: HOI3 Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI