Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Convoys. Please explain

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Convoys. Please explain Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Convoys. Please explain - 8/16/2009 9:50:03 AM   
Chris21wen

This has happened:
Convoy WS.12/OS.13 Supply Convoy arrives at Cape Town

First it appears as an LCU CD unit when its contains 30 AK and 1 TK.
Second I'm suppossed to withdraw it in 3 day but there's no withdraw button and page 63 that is supposed to describe ground withdrawal is a bag of rags.

So how is it done please.
Post #: 1
RE: Convoys. Please explain - 8/16/2009 10:02:15 AM   
Iron Duke

automatically.

the 'LCU' will be withdrawn on it 's stated date and the devices listed will be sent to the device pool

"Bombers outpacing fighters - you've got to bloody well laugh!" Australian Buffalo pilot - Singapore

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 2
RE: Convoys. Please explain - 8/16/2009 10:05:52 AM   
Terminus

Which is what the Convoy Command units are meant to do.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 3
RE: Convoys. Please explain - 8/16/2009 10:16:11 AM   
Chris21wen

That explains the lack of a button. Pity the manual isn't correct.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 4
RE: Convoys. Please explain - 8/16/2009 11:04:49 AM   
michaelm75au

8.1.7.1 SPECIAL COAST DEFENSE UNITS – CONVOYS
A Convoy is represented as a special type of CD Unit. These are units that are set to disband via the editor 3 days after their arrival. When the unit disbands, any devices attached to the unit are sent to the device pool.

What's not correct??

Michael

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 5
RE: Convoys. Please explain - 8/16/2009 1:57:00 PM   
Nomad

Do the supplies also offload when the Convoy disbands?

(in reply to michaelm75au)
Post #: 6
RE: Convoys. Please explain - 8/16/2009 2:09:28 PM   
Kumppi

Yes.

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 7
RE: Convoys. Please explain - 8/16/2009 4:03:16 PM   
mitchell2

I assume the amount of supplies and fuel provided by a convoy is given by the number of the devices "Merchant Ship" (device 1067) and "Tanker" (1068). However I could neither in the editor nor in the manual find information on how much supplies/fuel each of these devices will add to the pool. Does anybody here have more information on how much fuel/supplies a given device will provide?

(in reply to Kumppi)
Post #: 8
RE: Convoys. Please explain - 8/16/2009 4:13:58 PM   
Nomad

You can find the values in the editor:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to mitchell2)
Post #: 9
RE: Convoys. Please explain - 8/16/2009 4:57:28 PM   
mitchell2

Ah, thank you very much Nomad.

I compared the fuel/supply numbers with the device numbers. There seems to be no hard rule, but for quick ingame reference one can approximate that 1 Merchant Ship device equals 6000 supplies (not always correct, but variance is small).

For tankers the approximation is more unreliable. For many convoys 1 Tanker device equals about 18000 fuel, but the variance is much larger (between 1 tanker = 9000 and 1 tanker = 170000 fuel for some convoys)

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 10
RE: Convoys. Please explain - 8/16/2009 4:59:35 PM   
Andy Mac

Yuh that was me it started at 1 merchant ship = 6k and 1 tanker = 18k but it got a little out of sequence on occasion !!!

(in reply to mitchell2)
Post #: 11
RE: Convoys. Please explain - 8/16/2009 5:51:41 PM   
Chris21wen

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelm

8.1.7.1 SPECIAL COAST DEFENSE UNITS – CONVOYS
A Convoy is represented as a special type of CD Unit. These are units that are set to disband via the editor 3 days after their arrival. When the unit disbands, any devices attached to the unit are sent to the device pool.

What's not correct??

Thanks I missed that I was looking on page 63 re

5.1.3.10 GROUND WITHDRAWAL SCHEDULE (HOTKEY G)

The Ground Reinforcement Schedule lists all ground units that are expected to be withdrawn in the near future. From left to right, each unit’s Type (INF for Infantry, HQ for Headquarters, etc.), unit Name, which HQ it is Attached to when it arrives on map, the unit’s Assault value, current location, the number of Days Until Arrival, and Withdrawal.

The Load cost, Port of Arrival, and Days Until Arrival columns can help the player plan on having transport in that port for the day the reinforcements arrive, so that they may be immediately loaded and moved wherever needed.

Along the top of the screen is a list of ground unit types, which are not abbreviated and are self-explanatory. Click on each to bring up a list that pertains to that ground unit type.

Clicking on any of the yellow column headers at the top will sort the list by that item.

First there is no mention of ground units being withdrawn automatically. The Paras in bold don't appear to belong here.
Secondly carrying out a search of the manual for 'Convoy withdrawal' finds nothing. I searched for this as that is what its called, never expected ships to appear as LCUs.
The only devices in this convoy are 30 x AK and 1 x Tk so how are they returned to the pool?

(in reply to michaelm75au)
Post #: 12
RE: Convoys. Please explain - 8/16/2009 6:52:24 PM   
Blackhorse

quote:

original: Chris H
The only devices in this convoy are 30 x AK and 1 x Tk so how are they returned to the pool?

The vessel devices are "indicators" to give you a sense how much supply and reinforcements are arriving. Although they go into your pool after disbanding, you can't do anything with them. These are not "in game" cargo ships and tankers.

That first convoy only carries supplies and fuel. Check out the next convoy (7843), arriving January 8th. It's bringing in infantry reinforcements, Marmon Herrington and Matilda tanks, 25-pounder artillery, anti-tank and anti-aircraft guns. All those devices will show up in your pools and can be used to upgrade or build up your LCUs.

Next to his work on the AI, the "convoy" reinforcements -- built on Andrew Brown's elegant off-map system -- is my favorite of Andy Mac's brilliant innovations for AE. This one lets us account for 'surges' in reinforcements in a way that the WitP production system can't.

For example, the US gets a 'convoy' of devices in the Eastern US, in the summer of 1945, to simulate the war equipment released from the ETO and now available for the Pacific.

WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Convoys. Please explain Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI