Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/15/2009 7:55:52 PM   
Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sonny II

Play the game.

If you have to restart then do that when the time comes.

Don't sit around worrying about it.

Get some more turns in.

You are missing out on a lot of fun if you are not playing the game.

I agree to a point. The GC is a huge investment of time and energy, and restarting in order to incorporate a patch (whether necessary or not) is definitely a bit of a downer. However, that is NO EXCUSE for people not to be playing the scenarios. Frankly, it's much more likely that you'll want to restart the GC in order to undo your early game learning idiocies than to incorporate a patch, anyway! So play the scenarios until you have a good handle on the AE mechanics, and by the time THAT occurs, we'll be one or two patches into the release cycle. And for those who want to leap right into the GC anyway? Well, you were warned. And not just by me. The Devs have been pounding the "please start with the scenarios" drum from the get-go.

(in reply to Sonny II)
Post #: 31
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/15/2009 8:53:27 PM   
Sonny II

quote:

The GC is a huge investment of time and energy,

So you do the first turn and play and learn what you really want to do when you restart.

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 32
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/15/2009 9:05:37 PM   
jazman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kull
So play the scenarios until you have a good handle on the AE mechanics, and by the time THAT occurs, we'll be one or two patches into the release cycle. And for those who want to leap right into the GC anyway? Well, you were warned. And not just by me. The Devs have been pounding the "please start with the scenarios" drum from the get-go.

OTOH, there's nothing like learning the layout of the Pacific like playing the GC, so that's what I've been doing. I know full well that, patch or no patch, I'd be restarting.

BS, MS, PhD, WitP:AE, WitE, WitW

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 33
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/15/2009 9:26:16 PM   
rockmedic109

Play till the patch comes out to truly find out HOW the game is played.  Then restart once the first patch comes out.  I lost count of the number of times I restarted WITP.

(in reply to jazman)
Post #: 34
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/15/2009 9:55:52 PM   
Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: rockmedic109

Play till the patch comes out to truly find out HOW the game is played.  Then restart once the first patch comes out.  I lost count of the number of times I restarted WITP.

I'm not indicting those who are playing the GC. Actually that's a good thing as it's contributed enormously to the quality of the Patch - you guys have discovered a LOT of issues and problems and are to be commended for that. But the number of times you have to restart your way through the first few turns is something I personally would prefer to minimize.

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 35
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/15/2009 10:04:43 PM   
medicff

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sonny II

quote:

The GC is a huge investment of time and energy,

So you do the first turn and play and learn what you really want to do when you restart.

Absolutely. I have learned so much by playing. I also try things knowing I am going to restart so that I can learn and find bugs to help the developers make it better before I restart.

(in reply to Sonny II)
Post #: 36
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/15/2009 10:09:06 PM   
Kull

From the AE Naval and OOB Issues thread:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen

Post your save, and I will take a look. Hurry please.

Now I suppose it's possible that Don has a hot dinner date and is eager to slay one more bug before he heads out the door. Or perhaps....just maybe.....the patch is imminent?

(in reply to medicff)
Post #: 37
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/15/2009 10:17:14 PM   
JohnDillworth

My problem with the scenarios is that there are not enough of them. Stock had Cartwheel, and option to start in 42, 43 and 44 or close to it AE does not have that. I have put in many , many hours to get to April 42 and things are looking up. I don't feel like taking that beating again just yet. (although it would be nice to get more oil out of DEI this time)

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 38
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/15/2009 10:34:53 PM   
Terminus

quote:

quote:

Now I suppose it's possible that Don has a hot dinner date and is eager to slay one more bug before he heads out the door. Or perhaps....just maybe.....the patch is imminent?

Patch won't be out until the end of the month, but I suppose in geological terms, that's "imminent".

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 39
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/15/2009 11:14:37 PM   
Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Patch won't be out until the end of the month, but I suppose in geological terms, that's "imminent".

Spoken like a lawyer. Yes the "official patch" won't be out until the end of the month, but:

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

So for patch 01 I would expect public beta within about one week and then general release within two to three weeks.

That was written on 8/11, so five days later we are appoaching the "within about one week" target. In human terms, that might be considered "imminent".

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 40
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/15/2009 11:40:13 PM   
jwilkerson

Yeah we didn't make the schedule - got pushed out one week - patch build coordination got flubbed last week. Should be on schedule for about a 7 Sep 09 patch 01 release now. So potential public beta some time the week of 24 August 09.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 41
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/15/2009 11:44:50 PM   
jazman

quote:

Yeah we didn't make the schedule - got pushed out one week - patch build coordination got flubbed last week. Should be on schedule for about a 7 Sep 09 patch 01 release now. So potential public beta some time the week of 24 August 09.

Any hints what we can expect in Patch 02, since that is in the pipeline? Obviously there were things identified that would go in it.

BS, MS, PhD, WitP:AE, WitE, WitW

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 42
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/15/2009 11:55:38 PM   
jwilkerson

The only thing that we've specifically identified for patch 02 is what we call "the implementation of borders". This is something we've wanted since day one of WITP. This would implement national borders without need for artificial constraints and house rules as we have now. But we felt it was too complex for patch 01 and pushed it out for patch 02. Other than that we have lots of lists, but nothing concrete. Right now, we're focused on patch 01.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to jazman)
Post #: 43
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/16/2009 12:03:03 AM   
Kull

quote:

So that means Don DOES have a hot date AND I have to apologize to Terminus? Oh.my.god.

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 44
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/16/2009 12:36:11 AM   
jwilkerson

Don has a deadline with the buildmeister (Michael) ... as to apologizing to Mr. T. well I guess if you rolls the dice - you takes your chances ...

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 45
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/16/2009 5:19:31 AM   
Don Bowen

quote:

quote:

Hot date. Over now, but no work until tomorrow and little then. Another hot date. Retired life is hell.

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 46
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/16/2009 5:34:19 AM   
Fallschirmjager

I assume to get the benefits of changes done to the database and scenarios you would have to restart?

Will this also overwrite the scenarios we have edited?

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 47
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/16/2009 5:36:32 AM   
Buck Beach

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager

I assume to get the benefits of changes done to the database and scenarios you would have to restart?

I don't think so but then again those scenarios would not have the benefit of the Patch IIRC.

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 48
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/16/2009 6:55:21 AM   
Kull

quote:

Hot date. Over now, but no work until tomorrow and little then. Another hot date. Retired life is hell.

Us workin' slobs need something to inspire us. That will do.

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 49
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/16/2009 3:54:42 PM   
Sonny II

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager

Yes and Yes.

So before installing the patch be sure to save your work into another folder or file.

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 50
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/16/2009 3:57:37 PM   
fbs

quote:

ORIGINAL: rockmedic109

Or do like me and study every single little thing there is to study on the Dec 8, 1941 turn. I plan on not going past the first turn by the time when the patch comes, hahahaha

fbs

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 51
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/21/2009 4:19:44 PM   
jwilkerson

Current schedule:

patch01 - public pre-release week of 24 Aug ... real public release ... week of 31 Aug ... change list will be in both pre-release and real release.

patch02 - target date roughly - end of Oct 09.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to fbs)
Post #: 52
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/21/2009 5:35:33 PM   
Xargun

Any chance we could one day get the option to take unload fuel from ships to the port ? I don't mean ships carrying fuel, I mean the actual fuel in the ship's bunkers ? With fuel being the new oil, this option could be useful for both sides.

Xargun

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 53
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/21/2009 6:08:21 PM   
jwilkerson

Anything is possible, but I would say this one is a few "miles" down the list at this point ...

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 54
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/21/2009 6:10:06 PM   
Xargun

quote:

Anything is possible, but I would say this one is a few "miles" down the list at this point ...

Completely understood.. Would be a nice feature sometimes, but the game is completely playable without it.

Xargun

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 55
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/21/2009 6:11:33 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

Current schedule:

patch01 - public pre-release week of 24 Aug ... real public release ... week of 31 Aug ... change list will be in both pre-release and real release.

Joe, do you recommend we wait for the "real" release or do both? Will it matter? What's the difference between the two?

Thanks.

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 56
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/21/2009 6:24:29 PM   
jwilkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli
Joe, do you recommend we wait for the "real" release or do both? Will it matter? What's the difference between the two?

the public beta will be a "patch 01 candidate build". It will be patch 01 unless further testing reveals any show stopper issues with this build.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 57
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/21/2009 6:52:19 PM   
myros

When you say a restart would be required to use the full ai changes are you talking about things like certain ai TFs getting hung up in odd places?
Noticed that with my own TFs also, even with retirement allowed if you send them to a base hex as the turn-around point they can sometimes get hung up on the base hex and not retire/return.

Would that type of thing be a code change (ie no restart needed) or an ai change (restart needed) ?

M

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 58
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/21/2009 7:16:35 PM   
invernomuto

quote:

Current schedule:

patch02 - target date roughly - end of Oct 09.

Thanks for the update, very appreciated.

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 59
RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 - 8/21/2009 8:56:32 PM   
Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: myros

When you say a restart would be required to use the full ai changes are you talking about things like certain ai TFs getting hung up in odd places?
Noticed that with my own TFs also, even with retirement allowed if you send them to a base hex as the turn-around point they can sometimes get hung up on the base hex and not retire/return.

Would that type of thing be a code change (ie no restart needed) or an ai change (restart needed) ?

M

I THINK this has been solved in the patch. A code change.

(in reply to myros)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Patch 01 ... Patch 02 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI