Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Command Vehicles

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Command Vehicles Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Command Vehicles - 6/9/2002 7:53:33 AM   
Kaz

Just wanted to know if vehicles such as Command Cars and other units which are "Leader" units for armour and other vehicles act in the sam e way as HQ units for morale/rally purposes?
Post #: 1
Re: Command Vehicles - 6/9/2002 8:27:18 AM   
Capt. Pixel

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kaz
[B]Just wanted to know if vehicles such as Command Cars and other units which are "Leader" units for armour and other vehicles act in the sam e way as HQ units for morale/rally purposes? [/B][/QUOTE]

I believe they can, if they were purchased as part of a pre-defined formation (platoon, company, etc.). But if you purchase them individually, they're only responsible and effective for themselves. As far as I know. :D

"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible. "
- Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to Kaz)
Post #: 2
Assign HQ - 6/10/2002 12:20:03 AM   
Camylarde

Maybe I'm carrying wood back to forest... But if bought individually, the ASSIGN HQ button should help, shouldn't?

(in reply to Kaz)
Post #: 3
- 6/10/2002 2:41:09 AM   
Capt. Pixel

I'm not sure. I generally use that switch to assign subordinate units to existing formations (extra MGs, trucks and the like). So I don't get into the situation you described.

It might work tho'. I'll try it out. :)

- Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to Kaz)
Post #: 4
- 6/10/2002 10:40:28 AM   
Kaz

Thanks for the feedback, I'd forgotten about changing the unit leader/formation button-guess I've not played with a need for it recently...
Still interested whether anybody finds any benefits for Command vehicles and morale boosting.

Kaz

(in reply to Kaz)
Post #: 5
- 6/11/2002 1:13:55 AM   
kevsharr

I don't know about that but I've got a related question.In the origanal steel panther's you could purchase a single halftrack for your main headquarters unit apparently you can't anymore it ,was nice to have your main commander in an armoured vehicle to move around the battle field to assist in suppresion reduction

(in reply to Kaz)
Post #: 6
- 6/11/2002 1:34:47 AM   
Jim1954

That's easy enough, just takes a little planning and a false start.
Start a campaign and see how much a section of APC's cost of the type you want . Exit campaign and restart. Purchase core forces as normal except make sure that you save less than the cost of a full section but at least half of it's value in points for your final buy. Make your last purchase that section and it will only give you 1 with a few points left over.

(in reply to Kaz)
Post #: 7
Place Holders - 6/11/2002 2:40:31 AM   
Capt. Pixel

Sometimes, if I want a single unit or some reduced portion of a platoon rather than all of the units, I'll purchase a 'place hoder' in the OOB. I'll purchase, say a Sniper, in the B0 slot.

Later, when I've completed the rest of my force purchases, I'll go back and delete that sniper. Then, assuming I've left enough purchase points, I'll fill that 'place holder' spot with the desired unit (like the halftrack, or a reduced platoon of whatever)

This way I can get the single halftrack, or the extra two cargo aircraft, or a platoon of three trucks rather than five, etc.

I tried that reassignment of units to new leaders suggestion I posted earlier in this thread.

The newly assigned leader will try to affect all rallys within his new platoon, just as any ordinary platoon leader would do. Command cars will function this way, as will snipers, et al. However, Command cars offer no advantage to Rallying others if they are not leaders of a platoon. :cool:

- Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to Kaz)
Post #: 8
- 6/11/2002 2:51:08 AM   
Jim1954

I had not thought of using a sniper as a place holder, good suggestion. I just bought it last and re-assigned it to the A0. Sometimes though, if you buy something and delete it, it may not be available for repurchase again if you use True Troop Cost/Rarity ON as I do, but how many snipers can you buy with that on anyway. Not many.

(in reply to Kaz)
Post #: 9
- 6/11/2002 3:09:24 AM   
Capt. Pixel

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jim1954
[B]I had not thought of using a sniper as a place holder, good suggestion. I just bought it last and re-assigned it to the A0. Sometimes though, if you buy something and delete it, it may not be available for repurchase again if you use True Troop Cost/Rarity ON as I do, but how many snipers can you buy with that on anyway. Not many. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, Rarity set On kind of blows that whole technique out the window. But you could put a section of trucks or whatever in that place holder slot, too. Just purchase any unit(s) you won't be wanting later for replacement.

The other night I wanted 6 - five plane cargo air platoons, so I bought seven platoons of 4 each and a section of trucks. At the end of the buy, I replaced the trucks with two more cargo planes. Then I reassigned those 6 extra aircraft to the previous six platoons.

Bingo! - 6 platoons of 5 cargo aircraft each. :cool:

- Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to Kaz)
Post #: 10
Reassign? - 6/11/2002 4:26:21 AM   
Camylarde

Cannot imagine what you exactly did. Made platoon instead of 4 rather of 5 units? How can be done this?

(in reply to Kaz)
Post #: 11
Re: Reassign? - 6/11/2002 6:08:39 AM   
Capt. Pixel

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Camylarde
[B]Cannot imagine what you exactly did. Made platoon instead of 4 rather of 5 units? How can be done this? [/B][/QUOTE]

Like this:

Buy five cargo plane platoons (four planes each)

Use the Assign New Leader button during deployment
(The Button with a man and arrow)

Select the fourth plane in the last platoon (F3), click the Assign New Leader, and then select the leader of the fourth platoon by clicking on the 'E0' unit . The fourth platoon now has five planes, and the fifth platoon now has three planes.

Repeat for the third plane (F2) to third platoon on the 'D0' unit, etc.

When you're done, you've got four platoons with five planes each. :)

You can do this with any units in you OB during Deployment.

Pick a unit to reassign, click the New Leader button, and select the new leader for that unit.

- Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to Kaz)
Post #: 12
I see - 6/11/2002 2:23:25 PM   
Camylarde

With that all fake units and placeholders during purchase phase to have platoon of less units than usual(discussed here), I didn't thought this way. I know, you didn't wrote the SELL part so I could figure out it IS the deployment :-) But does give it ou any advantage of having less platoons of more crafts if you have the same count of units? Is the deployment accuracy so affected? I just keep some of my guns and defensive platoons spread across the map not caring about their leader position and it still works somehow. Sometimes I have problems with rally but usually this I overcome with extensive tactics of flanking and arty supression or smoke cover. Know this has been discussed many times and me is a little prehistoric but just don't need to change it now still against computer.

(in reply to Kaz)
Post #: 13
Re: I see - 6/12/2002 3:45:39 PM   
Capt. Pixel

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Camylarde
[B]But does give it ou any advantage of having less platoons of more crafts if you have the same count of units? Is the deployment accuracy so affected? [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, no. In my example above, twenty planes is twenty planes. they carry the same number of units in either arrangement. I, however, am an anal retentive, and as such must organize things in the most logical way (at least to MY mind ;) ).

In this case, I wanted to drop two platoons of GE FJ with a section of Inf AT. Just exactly fits into five German cargo planes. So I reorganize to suit.

In another case, perhaps I only need three trucks to haul my six mortars. I could purchase two sections and use the extra fourth truck as a spare. Or I could strip down a platoon to the three trucks I needed, and use the extra points elsewhere.

Just another way to tweak your OOB during Purchase. Sometimes it's useful, sometimes it's not worth the trouble. :p

- Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to Kaz)
Post #: 14
- 6/18/2002 12:47:27 AM   
challenge

I guess I tend toward the same anal disorder..... Assigning transport and other units accross the board when C&C is on (which I prefer) means they may not always be in contact and have to go through hoops or expend valuable command points to move where you want them.

If you assign the transport directly to the AT gun section they are in contact and have the same objective hex as the guns you plan to move with them. Reassigning AT sections on defense directly to an infantry company or platoon puts them in the chain of command, moral and rally.

A unit's status will not change, however. An MG unit that isn't labeled "recon" will not pick it up just because you assigned it to a German Pioneer unit, for example.

Challenge

War is unhealthy for die-stamped cardboard and other paper products.

(in reply to Kaz)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Command Vehicles Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI