Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Tactical Challenge

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> The War Room >> Tactical Challenge Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tactical Challenge - 8/31/2009 11:57:26 PM   
Russian Guard

Thought this might be entertaining for some. These types of posts seem to be more common with WWII games, but I found this an interesting tactical situation.

Here’s the story: Game is single-player 1805 scenario, it is currently Oct 1807. I’m playing Russia. Advanced Econ. Marshal level combat.When the French invaded Austria in Sept 1805, the war dragged out until mid-1806 (the Russians contributed only materiel and diplomatic support, not our troops). Austria lost Transylvania to revolt during their war with France.

As an Ally of Austria we did not plan to intervene in Transylvania, figuring the Austrians would eventually reclaim those lands.

However, the Ottomans caused a diplomatic furor when they declared war on Transylvania. Better us than the dastardly Turks expanding there, and since we were in a position to intervene, we did so, declaring war on Transylvania ourselves.

Russia moved strong forces into Transylvania, arriving ahead of the Turks. The same turn the Capital fell, the Turks warned us off of our war with Transylvania – or else. We refused their ultimatum, and war erupted with Turkey. Something we did not anticipate or really prepare for, unfortunately. Our Generals are out of position and not properly assigned, and we had to scramble to cover our supply line – which runs from Odessa through Bessarabia into Upper Moldavia.

The next turn, Russian and Turkish forces did battle in Transylvania, our 130,000 against 98,000 Turks. It was a harder battle than you might imagine, because Russia does not have the Formation Drilling Upgrade yet, and the Turks formed Lines as well as we did. Still, we prevailed, and the Turkish forces retreated to Greater Wallachia.

The situation:

Russian forces as follows:

Transylvania:
1st Army, 115,000 under Kutusov, including the I, II, and III Corps
Upper Moldavia:
4th Army (Army of the Danube), under Platov – 39,000
3 un-attached weak Cavalry Divisions
Bessarabia:
I Cossack Corp, no General – 40,000 Cossack Cavalry
Odessa:
2nd Army, under Bennigson – 27,000

Turkish Forces as follows:
Gr. Wallachia:
Approx. 70,000 under Selim III
Silistria (below the Danube River):
Unknown forces, during the movement phase I saw this Army and I suspect it is between 75,000 and 100,000.
Off-snapshot:
A Turkish “?” Flag in Constantinpole

Question:

What should the Russians do? If the Turks attack Bessarabia or move into Upper Moldavia, Russia forces there are not strong enough to defend. The supply will also be cut. Our desire is to press the war and end it quickly, as another French war looms.

If I leave Transylvania with my large Army, I may lose the protectorate. The unit you see in the city is one I moved there this same turn, so it isn’t really “there” yet, and may not make it to the province before the Turks do, should they attack there and I have moved. I could detach a troop from the 1st Army…

If I do move the 1st Army, where should it go? Into Lower Moldavia, to support any other attacks? To Gr. Wallachia, to smash the Turkish Army there? Retreat all the way to Bessarabia to play it safe?

There are other options – and I have a plan, but I’m curious to hear recommendations!

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Tactical Challenge - 9/1/2009 12:24:41 AM   
Mus

I would detach the weakest unit from 1st Army instead, and then move as pictured.

This places you on two Turkish cities to siege them next turn and places your forces in "front" of your supply line. 1st Army is centrally located and could be called to assist either wing if the Turks move that way, and if the Turks move through Lower Moldavia to sever your supply line will run right into it.

I would send one of the detached cavalry units to Lower Moldavia to help protect the supply line from a militia sally or a quick cavalry raid. The other two would stay where they are to to bolster the Cossack Corps and 2nd Army until 1st Army comes in to reinforce in case both Turkish armies move there. If only the eastern Turkish army attacks Bessarabia the forces already there should be able to win.

Next turn if the Turks had been defeated in a battle and were still at Greater Wallachia I would attack there with 1st and 4th Armies. If they had vacated Greater Wallachia and were concentrated in Silistria I would attack Silistria with 1st and 2nd Armies, leaving the Cossack Corps to guard my supply lines and move 4th Army to Greater Wallachia. If the Turks had just pulled back all along the front I would push 1st Army up to Greater Wallachia and move spread 4th, 2nd and Cossack Armies across Lower Moldavia and Bessarabia to siege those places in 1st Armies rear.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Mus -- 9/1/2009 12:37:54 AM >

Mindset, Tactics, Skill, Equipment
Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

(in reply to Russian Guard)
Post #: 2
RE: Tactical Challenge - 9/9/2009 4:21:04 AM   
Mus

Well? What did you end up doing and how did it work out?

Mindset, Tactics, Skill, Equipment
Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

(in reply to Mus)
Post #: 3
RE: Tactical Challenge - 6/9/2010 8:04:36 PM   
Tophat1815

So what did happen here almost a year ago?

(in reply to Mus)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> The War Room >> Tactical Challenge Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI