Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: List of User Requested Gameplay Changes

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: List of User Requested Gameplay Changes Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: List of User Requested Gameplay Changes - 8/31/2009 1:10:35 AM   
V22 Osprey

I don't understand how it is so much part of code.All we want is to be able to play our excellent game in fullscreen without having it look distorted, or with big ugly black bars on the side of the screen.

Look at this:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e5/Vector_Video_Standards2.svg

2 by 3 is basicly screwing everyone that doesn't a 4:3 aspect ratio.They can do better than that.I'm not saying have every single resolution out there, just enough that's enjoyable.My screen is 1440x900.Even at 1280x768, it atleast takes most of my screen, so much at even the small black bars at the top and bottom of the screen are very tolerable and in-game become unnoticable.With 1024x768, I have 2 big black bars on the side of screen in my face.

Art by rogueusmc.

(in reply to jazman)
Post #: 31
RE: List of User Requested Gameplay Changes - 8/31/2009 1:14:43 AM   
pompack

quote:

ORIGINAL: V22 Osprey

I don't understand how it is so much part of code.All we want is to be able to play our excellent game in fullscreen without having it look distorted, or with big ugly black bars on the side of the screen.

Well, until you get your CS degree, just accept their word for it: It's really, really embedded in the code and can't be changed without a level of effort roughly compatible with creating AE itself

EDIT: now if you want to discuss how it should NOT have been done that way, you will have a lot of people agree with you. However, that is just the way Gary does things. And because Gary has created about 98% of the games that I love I happily accept it as just the way Gary works

< Message edited by pompack -- 8/31/2009 1:18:04 AM >

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 32
RE: List of User Requested Gameplay Changes - 8/31/2009 1:20:35 AM   
jolly_pillager

Please, PLEASE STOP the (so called) AI from changing my fighter units to 100% LRCAP randomly and then having my Ops losses spike from fatigue

(in reply to pompack)
Post #: 33
RE: List of User Requested Gameplay Changes - 8/31/2009 1:22:01 AM   
Talon_XBMCX

quote:

Look at this:

2 by 3 is basicly screwing everyone that doesn't a 4:3 aspect ratio.They can do better than that.I'm not saying have every single resolution out there, just enough that's enjoyable.My screen is 1440x900.Even at 1280x768, it atleast takes most of my screen, so much at even the small black bars at the top and bottom of the screen are very tolerable and in-game become unnoticable.With 1024x768, I have 2 big black bars on the side of screen in my face.

Guess its all a matter of preference. I run 1920x1080 and have no problems running it windowed. Lets me have all my spreadsheets, WITPStaff and whatever else i need all visible at once.

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 34
RE: List of User Requested Gameplay Changes - 8/31/2009 1:23:35 AM   
pompack

quote:

ORIGINAL: jolly_pillager

Please, PLEASE STOP the (so called) AI from changing my fighter units to 100% LRCAP randomly and then having my Ops losses spike from fatigue

I'm beginning to lose track of the changes, but I thought that was already done in 1.083. At least I have not seen it happen in a while and it used to happen every turn

(in reply to jolly_pillager)
Post #: 35
RE: List of User Requested Gameplay Changes - 8/31/2009 1:24:33 AM   
jolly_pillager

More Fog of War on the Surface Combat Animations....make the entire ship side art not appear until the ship is spotted. Use the WRONG ship side art. Use the wrong names.

Ditto air attack animations...it does little good to have the combat report lie when I can SEE the name or class of the ship during the animation.

(in reply to Talon_XBMCX)
Post #: 36
RE: List of User Requested Gameplay Changes - 8/31/2009 1:35:37 AM   
Zebedee

quote:

More Fog of War on the Surface Combat Animations....make the entire ship side art not appear until the ship is spotted. Use the WRONG ship side art. Use the wrong names.

Ditto air attack animations...it does little good to have the combat report lie when I can SEE the name or class of the ship during the animation.

I would like to see the DL being used by your forces reflected in the art you see in combat animations. Maybe for WitP 7 though :)

Post #: 37
RE: List of User Requested Gameplay Changes - 8/31/2009 1:56:43 AM   
V22 Osprey

quote:

ORIGINAL: pompack

quote:

Well, until you get your CS degree, just accept their word for it: It's really, really embedded in the code and can't be changed without a level of effort roughly compatible with creating AE itself

EDIT: now if you want to discuss how it should NOT have been done that way, you will have a lot of people agree with you. However, that is just the way Gary does things. And because Gary has created about 98% of the games that I love I happily accept it as just the way Gary works

Ok.

Art by rogueusmc.

(in reply to pompack)
Post #: 38
RE: List of User Requested Gameplay Changes - 8/31/2009 2:07:41 AM   
Cribtop

quote:

ORIGINAL: Herrbear

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cribtop

I would like to see Naval Attack missions focus a bit more on transports and a lot less on DDs. If the strike mis-identifies the DD as a CL/CA that's fine, but too often planes waste their ordinance on fast DDs that they know to be DDs while ignoring fat transports. I think the tacticians of the period understood that targeting the transports was better than the DDs when attacking invasion or re-supply TFs.

I'd also like to see IJN SCTFs stop wasting torpedoes with Long Lance attacks greater than say 10,000 yds in daytime surface actions.

While they may be wasting torpedoes, that range is not unreasonable. In Japanese Destroyer Captain, author, Capt. Tameichi Hara writes "In manuevers we usually fired torpedoes at a range of about 2000 meters. In actual warfare, the average distance was probably 4000 to 5000 meters..."

Perhaps, but I've seen torps launched at over 20,000 yds. Seems high and I've never seen a hit at less than 9,000 yds

(in reply to Herrbear)
Post #: 39
RE: List of User Requested Gameplay Changes - 8/31/2009 2:29:23 AM   
Mynok

You should remember that this game is based on an engine born in UV a long time ago. Certainly long before widescreen was a common option.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 40
RE: List of User Requested Gameplay Changes - 8/31/2009 3:06:11 AM   
fbs

quote:

That's a very cool suggestion: I second that. I always make a conscient effort to not read the names of enemy ships and air units on the combat animations and reports, as that is too much information.

Cheers
fbs

Post #: 41
RE: List of User Requested Gameplay Changes - 8/31/2009 3:11:16 AM   
thunar

quote:

ORIGINAL: dhennin

It's funny how conspiracy theories sell. Here's an idea: let's stop thinking that all government things/bureaucrats are evil and may be admit that humans can be stupid and make dumb mistakes without the help of any anybody but also could fix them without the help of imaginary ghosts.

The Spaniards blew up our battleship. Nothing to do with yellow journalism of a minority that wanted to get the US into the Empire Business.
The Anarchists attacked our Parliament Building! Nothing to do with the ruling party wanting to ban elections and impose martial law from the beginning.
Sugiyama says to emperor one month to subdue China. Nothing to do with the fact he was a member of the Imperial Way and champing at the bit for territorial expansion, just giving his honest professional opinion.
Nigerian Yellowcake hoax resurrected and given credibility. Nothing to do with anything, it's just what "all" the intelligence agencies, our own and allied, thought about the memo.
Mentally Ill Defector no Intel Agency on both sides of the Atlantic believes reliable says bad guy has WMDs, but is presented to Public as confirmed fact from reliable source. Not because the admin was full of guys who believed that whacking out a dictator in the Middle East was an important part of their philosophy of fostering democracy and using US military power to make up for declining economic power, it was just a mistake on their part.

Governments only act in the best interests of the general populace, and never are guided by a cabal or grouping of special interests. They only screw up by mistake. The check is in the mail. She's only a little bit pregnant.

Tens of thousands of people were convicted of conspiracies last year, many of them government officials, in the USA. Guess all those juries and judges that found them guilty beyond a reasonable doubt didn't get the message that conspiracies don't exist, and certainly not in the government.

(in reply to olivier_slith)
Post #: 42
RE: List of User Requested Gameplay Changes - 8/31/2009 3:13:36 AM   
StoneAge

increase port, airfield and defence size to X.  Instead of just turn on and try to remember to turn it off when it gets to the size you want.

(in reply to fbs)
Post #: 43
RE: List of User Requested Gameplay Changes - 8/31/2009 3:15:28 AM   
fbs

quote:

ORIGINAL: thunar

The Spaniards blew up our battleship. Nothing to do with yellow journalism of a minority that wanted to get the US into the Empire Business.
...etc...
Tens of thousands of people were convicted of conspiracies last year, many of them government officials, in the USA. Guess all those juries and judges that found them guilty beyond a reasonable doubt didn't get the message that conspiracies don't exist, and certainly not in the government.

You forgot to add to that list Emperor Hirohito and the soy conspiracy, rightly exposed by famed Professor Demens (BSc,PhD,xAP,MSEE,AMc Honoris).

Cheers
fbs

< Message edited by fbs -- 8/31/2009 3:17:35 AM >

(in reply to thunar)
Post #: 44
RE: List of User Requested Gameplay Changes - 8/31/2009 3:18:56 AM   
V22 Osprey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mynok

You should remember that this game is based on an engine born in UV a long time ago. Certainly long before widescreen was a common option.

That's like them saying "War in the Pacific 4.0 won't run on systems younger than 5 years because the code is based on an engine from 2002 and we don't feel like updating the code to run on modern systems.Oh by the way, we are charging $200 for it".Yea, I doubt that will fly.

Anyway, it's still a great game.

Art by rogueusmc.

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 45
RE: List of User Requested Gameplay Changes - 8/31/2009 3:23:29 AM   
Zebedee

quote:

ORIGINAL: fbs
You forgot to add to that list Emperor Hirohito and the soy conspiracy, rightly exposed by famed Professor Demens (BSc,PhD,xAP,MSEE,AMc Honoris).

Cheers
fbs

I still say the space Nazis should come into the game if the war hasn't ended by 1945. I think we all know it makes sense.

(in reply to fbs)
Post #: 46
RE: List of User Requested Gameplay Changes - 8/31/2009 6:04:14 AM   
tacfire

I would like to suggest adding some new hotkeys (4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 0). They could be used to show more information on the game map. Some ideas:

4 = show AF size /Port size / Fort level
5 = Resource / Oil / Manpower / HI & LI factories / Refinery production levels
6 = Shipyard sizes
7 = Base's Shipping Docked Capacity
8 = Base Troop Capacity
9 = ?
0 = ?

The game currently only uses Hotkeys 1-3 for showing Terrrain, Zone Location, and Weather Forcast.

< Message edited by tacfire -- 8/31/2009 6:24:55 AM >

(in reply to jazman)
Post #: 47
RE: List of User Requested Gameplay Changes - 8/31/2009 6:09:24 AM   
pat.casey

Give me a 1 button "withdraw ship" button I can click on a ship at any time. Behavior should be:
1) If I'm in a withdrawl port, withdraw the ship.
2) If I'm not in a withdrawl port, split that ship into a new task force and have that task force head to the nearest legal withdrawl port. Upon arrival at said port, withdraw the ship.

Basic thing is, for me at least, its a nightmare routing ships back to their withdrawl ports when I need to withdraw them. It not a "fun" challenge, like chess, its more like when my daughter throws a pack of cards on the ground and I have to pick them all back up ... tedious and pointless.

(in reply to tacfire)
Post #: 48
RE: List of User Requested Gameplay Changes - 8/31/2009 6:29:58 AM   
scott64

quote:

Look at this:

I am happy with my 1280 X 768 No problems or issues. Have not tried the 1680 by 1050 which is the monitor max.

Lucky for you, tonight it's just me

Any ship can be a minesweeper..once !! :)

http://suspenseandmystery.blogspot.com/

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 49
RE: List of User Requested Gameplay Changes - 8/31/2009 7:15:40 AM   
Herrbear

quote:

ORIGINAL: scott1964

quote:

Look at this:

I am happy with my 1280 X 768 No problems or issues. Have not tried the 1680 by 1050 which is the monitor max.

My Samsung also is 1680 x 1050 and it covers the whole screen without any noticeable distortion.

(in reply to scott64)
Post #: 50
RE: List of User Requested Gameplay Changes - 8/31/2009 7:29:35 AM   
n01487477

OK, shameless plug for Tracker-AE, so it's not on the InGame interface, but Tracker-AE will do:(when it's released),the things below, plus many more (as some of you know from witp)...

If the devs had really overhauled the UI of AE, then there would be no need for Staff or Tracker and that would be fine with me...but I think we are stuck with most of it, until witpII. Regarding these things below however, they could be achieved IMO, with minimal(bar space)effort. But I'd rather have the game rocking before these things were tackled...

CR-2: Add # of days left based on industry consumption of resources and oil on the base screen [tacfire] - although may I say, this is a little redundant as you can't move these things unless shipping & res/oil move turn by turn anyway. So a little pointless, regional levels are more important.
CR-3: Add a warning to Ops Report "Heavy Industry/Light Industry is idle on xxx due to lack of yyy" [fbs] + Res,Oil and fuel warnings.
CR-15: Show the full HQ structure, including all units.[PzB].
CR-16: Get a summary of how many ships were sunk per type (AK, AP, etc..) [PzB]

In the Pipeline:
CR-14: Allow a line of comment by the player on LCUs and air groups just like with TF's. [Mistmatz]

--Damian--

(in reply to fbs)
Post #: 51
RE: List of User Requested Gameplay Changes - 8/31/2009 2:27:47 PM   
crsutton

Please just spell out the complete names of the ships class somewhere on the ship info screen. I can barely remember my wife's birthday, much less what the heck all of those ship class abbrivations are.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to jazman)
Post #: 52
RE: List of User Requested Gameplay Changes - 8/31/2009 2:40:29 PM   
Mynok

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mynok

That's like them saying "War in the Pacific 4.0 won't run on systems younger than 5 years because the code is based on an engine from 2002 and we don't feel like updating the code to run on modern systems.Oh by the way, we are charging $200 for it".Yea, I doubt that will fly.

Anyway, it's still a great game.

It's not a matter of 'feel like'. It's a matter of economics. They made the decision that their market base for this game would be more interested in substance than prettiness. And I would strongly agree with them on that.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 53
RE: List of User Requested Gameplay Changes - 8/31/2009 4:54:41 PM   
pad152

Engine production
Change engine production to be more scalable, I hate when I need 9 more of a specific engine type but, have to double a size 50 factory and then turn off repair when it gets to 59!

Show Engine and aircraft prodction totals correctly
The totals don't show correctly when factories are turned off!

A production screen that show which cities are building which engines and/or aircraft.

Daily totals of plus/minus on supply/resources/fuel/etc.

A way to find out what things cost, how much of resources/fuel/etc. is going to aircraft/shipyards/armaments/etc.

< Message edited by pad152 -- 8/31/2009 4:56:50 PM >

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 54
RE: List of User Requested Gameplay Changes - 8/31/2009 5:56:24 PM   
myros

Non player info releated text put on a seperate timer or fixed at 0.0, so that actual needed player feedback text can be put at a readable speed without having to pause for all the other rubbish.

ie Antyhing not about a specific event or specific hex set pemanently to 0.0 delay.

M

(in reply to jazman)
Post #: 55
RE: List of User Requested Gameplay Changes - 9/1/2009 3:46:36 AM   
Cribtop

I second the hell out of this. Especially in AE with all the AMc, ACMs, etc.

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Please just spell out the complete names of the ships class somewhere on the ship info screen. I can barely remember my wife's birthday, much less what the heck all of those ship class abbrivations are.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 56
RE: List of User Requested Gameplay Changes - 9/1/2009 5:33:30 AM   
fbs

quote:

ORIGINAL: pad152

Engine production
Change engine production to be more scalable, I hate when I need 9 more of a specific engine type but, have to double a size 50 factory and then turn off repair when it gets to 59!

Show Engine and aircraft prodction totals correctly
The totals don't show correctly when factories are turned off!

A production screen that show which cities are building which engines and/or aircraft.

Daily totals of plus/minus on supply/resources/fuel/etc.

A way to find out what things cost, how much of resources/fuel/etc. is going to aircraft/shipyards/armaments/etc.

Added up as CR-29 to CR-32. Didn't add the issue about production totals, as that looks like a bug. Please review CR-32, to see that is what you wanted.

Thanks!
fbs

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 57
RE: List of User Requested Gameplay Changes - 9/1/2009 5:36:41 AM   
fbs

quote:

ORIGINAL: myros

Non player info releated text put on a seperate timer or fixed at 0.0, so that actual needed player feedback text can be put at a readable speed without having to pause for all the other rubbish.

ie Antyhing not about a specific event or specific hex set pemanently to 0.0 delay.

M

Not sure I got that, Myros. You'll have to list out which events you want to change the way they are handled right now; things like "change all text that the player doesn't want to read to delay 0.0" can't be implemented, because different players want to read different things. Some want to read it all :D

Cheers
fbs

(in reply to myros)
Post #: 58
RE: List of User Requested Gameplay Changes - 9/1/2009 7:38:32 AM   
StoneAge

On the Base Information Screen make the facility expand buttons expand port, airfield and fortifications to X size.  Instead of just turn on and try to remember to turn it off when it gets to the size you want.

(in reply to fbs)
Post #: 59
RE: List of User Requested Gameplay Changes - 9/1/2009 8:16:18 AM   
Swenslim

Hm, is it possible to create some kind of ingame reminders with notes (or without) ??? For example , I mark base or ground  or air unit to remind me in 4 turns(change in color, note in new reminder menu) to check this object (for supply, change of mission etc.) ?

(in reply to jazman)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: List of User Requested Gameplay Changes Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI