Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

no cursor

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Tech Support >> no cursor Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
no cursor - 6/10/2002 2:09:12 AM   
Hairog

Tried to install UV twice and have had no luck because when I get to the start screen there is no mouse cursor to select anything. I have a Toshiba Satallite 2805 s201 laptop with windows ME, 256 mb ram,PIII 650, S3 savage video with 8mb video, sound blaster compatable sound card, 24x dvd/cd:(
Post #: 1
- 6/10/2002 7:36:58 AM   
David Heath

Hi

I forward Keith you problem to see what we could do.

David

(in reply to Hairog)
Post #: 2
Suggestions... - 6/10/2002 8:04:28 AM   
Erik Rutins

Please take a look through the Troubleshooting FAQ at the top of this forum. Make sure you've checked through the points there for your system.

I would also check to see if you have a custom mouse cursor enabled. If so, switch it back to the windows default. Try checking for newer mouse drivers or testing different settings for your mouse pointer. Laptop pointing devices sometimes have unusual mouse/pointer settings and drivers that can cause compatibility issues.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Hairog)
Post #: 3
- 6/10/2002 11:29:25 AM   
David Heath

Hi

Here is the reply I got back from Keith

David:

If he puts his desktop in 16 bit mode he could use the -w parameter and see if it works in windowed mode.

What version of DirectX does he have installed, and does he have the latest video drivers ?

KB

(in reply to Hairog)
Post #: 4
Lost cursor - 6/10/2002 11:48:09 AM   
Hairog

I have the latest S3 drivers, dx 8.1 but I don't know what -w is. thnx

(in reply to Hairog)
Post #: 5
- 6/10/2002 2:38:03 PM   
Spooky

Have you tried to directly launch UV (UncommonValor.exe) instead of going through the start screen (UV.exe) ?

(in reply to Hairog)
Post #: 6
Re: Lost cursor - 6/10/2002 4:05:16 PM   
Marc von Martial

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hairog
[B] ... but I don't know what -w is. thnx [/B][/QUOTE]

Do a websearch on "command line parameters" for desktop/startmenu shortcuts. That will give you an idea. In this special case the "-w" command makes UV playable in a windowed mode.

(in reply to Hairog)
Post #: 7
- 6/11/2002 12:44:35 AM   
Hairog

Thanks guys for all your suggestions but I'm used to Macs and don't know what a "websearch" is. Sorry:confused:

(in reply to Hairog)
Post #: 8
- 6/11/2002 1:02:26 AM   
Marc von Martial

[QUOTE]and don't know what a "websearch" is. Sorry[/QUOTE]

Ehrmmm, searching the web with a search engine like Google ;)

[url]www.google.com[/url]

(in reply to Hairog)
Post #: 9
- 6/11/2002 12:47:44 PM   
Hairog

Still no luck. Tried to load it my desktop and get almost through tutorial when it craps out. I see from the forums that a lot of people are having this problem. Hope you fix it soon. Its very unerving not to be able to play a game I payed $49 on either of my expensive computers.

I do not have enough knowledge to understand what this whole business is about the netsearch for -w if you could please explain further it would be a great help.

thnx Harry

(in reply to Hairog)
Post #: 10
- 6/11/2002 3:22:58 PM   
Marc von Martial

Hi,

actually very very few people have this problem.

All I want you to do is to read how to apply a "command line paramter" to a desktop icon. It´s really no rocket science, just a few mouseclicks, but unfortunatly I really do not have the time at the moment to make up screenshots and guide you through it. So, I suggested you to do a websearch on adding command line parameters to a desktop icon.

(in reply to Hairog)
Post #: 11
Response... - 6/11/2002 9:05:54 PM   
Erik Rutins

Harry,

Sorry, we've all been working long hours getting the first patch ready. I hadn't heard of any significant number of folks having the cursor problem you describe, but there are a few folks having problems that we hope the patch will address. We're doing our best, given the various sytem configurations that are possible, to make UV work perfectly on everyone's computer.

You mentioned that both of your computers could not run UV. You gave us the specs for the laptop, what is the other machine's configuration?

What you want to do to run the game with a command line parameter is to create a new shortcut on your desktop. Have the shortcut point to the uncommonvalor.exe in your UV directory. Then edit the properties of the shortcut to add a -w to the end of the uncommonvalor.exe line. So the line used to run the program would look like:

uncommonvalor.exe -w

As far as I know, windowed mode is also only meant for 1024x768 and only works well in the patch. However, feel free to try it if that's your resolution. It may help.

The most important thing for us to compare is the video, sound and mouse specs of your two systems. If they are both having exactly the same problem, I still suspect that this may be a user configuration - in other words, that you may have a custom mouse cursor of some kind enabled on your systems that isn't showing up well with UV and DirectX.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Hairog)
Post #: 12
- 6/11/2002 11:15:40 PM   
iancollins

Eric,

For information: I've been successfully running UV in windows mode (with the -w switch). But I had to lower the colour pallette from True Color (32 bit) to High Color (16 bit) to make it work.

It's been very stable on the Win2000 OS I have.

Ian Collins

(in reply to Hairog)
Post #: 13
Thanx for all the help - 6/12/2002 12:51:26 AM   
Hairog

Thanx for all the help guys attached is a dxdiag for my desktop machine. Hope that helps

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Hairog)
Post #: 14
Got it for Laptop - 6/12/2002 1:20:08 AM   
Hairog

Finally figured out how to add "-w" to comand line parameters. When you tell people to do it in the future tell them to put the "-w" outside the " marks with a space and to start from a completely new shortcut. thanx for your time and help. Harry

(in reply to Hairog)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Tech Support >> no cursor Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI