Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Aircraft fly away to edge of target range

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Commander's Edition >> Tech Support >> Aircraft fly away to edge of target range Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Aircraft fly away to edge of target range - 9/2/2009 11:40:57 PM   
COBLU

I've noticed this a few times now across different scenarios but have had problems recreating it as it seems to be dependant on factors I'm not sure I fully understand.

The problem is most noticed with aircraft loadouts that have a very long strike range, such as LACMs. In most other loadouts the range to target is usually longer than the weapon range anyway. Anyway....

When an air group is launched and the range to target is inside the weapon range the air group will sometimes fly away from the target until it reaches the maximum range for the weapon. I've tried this with different scenarios/aircraft/loadouts and it seems consistent across those factors but it doesn't always happen. I think it works properly for the first attack using the initial scenario loadout but not thereafter and I've usually got it to happen after any change in loadout.

Apols if that has been reported before but I can't find anything in the bug trackers I know of.

I've sent a saved game where it is in the process of happening to hc3@harpgamer.com but you may have to play across scenarios/loads/changes to loads/etc to recreate it yourself.

Mostly it is easily solved by just ordering the group to fire but in a heavy duty scenario it is possible to miss that an aircraft is going the wrong way for a while so if it can be easily fixed then great.

Regards,

Guy
Post #: 1
RE: Aircraft fly away to edge of target range - 9/3/2009 12:38:07 AM   
donaldseadog

Hi Guy,
I've seen weapon launch straight after aircraft launch in this situation, not the going out to max weapon range, what version of the game are you using and is it the supplied database?
Can you upload your saved game here (or at harpgamer) so we can all have a look?
Don Thomas

< Message edited by donaldseadog -- 9/3/2009 1:14:18 AM >

(in reply to COBLU)
Post #: 2
RE: Aircraft fly away to edge of target range - 9/3/2009 8:47:38 AM   
COBLU

Don,
I'm using 2008.044 with the standard DB.

The save file was mailed in as above so should be available (though I don't know who 'owns' the address, I know it is one that Tony has suggested using before now so I hope it goes to those who need to see it). For anyone who wants to try to replicate the effect though then just set up half a dozen bases in any scenario within a couple of hundred miles of each other and equip them with Blackjacks and BUFFs.

I agree that at least some of the time the aircraft do launch and fire immediately as you say and I think that the bug only shows up after a change in loadout or, possibly, a reload. As ever, intermittant bugs are the worst so if anyone has the time to play with all the various potential factors (which may include scenario size - I only recall seeing it in larger scenarios - though that may just be because that is where lots of LACMs turn up ) and check that out then all power to them .

Cheers,

Guy

(in reply to donaldseadog)
Post #: 3
RE: Aircraft fly away to edge of target range - 9/3/2009 6:22:01 PM   
TonyE

Brad, Scott, and I get the mail sent to hc3@harpgamer.com. Don was referring to a slightly less Tony intensive process of posting an Issue Report at http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.php?autocom=bugtracker&showproject=6

I haven't had a chance to look at your save yet, soon though!

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to COBLU)
Post #: 4
RE: Aircraft fly away to edge of target range - 9/3/2009 11:27:49 PM   
Warhorse64

I don't have any saved games to back it up, but I can recall seeing this sort of behaviour myself, fwiw.

(in reply to TonyE)
Post #: 5
RE: Aircraft fly away to edge of target range - 9/4/2009 3:21:39 AM   
TonyE

From Guy's saved game I can verify this is happening. What would really help is if someone would crack open the SE and make a test scenario. Make it in GIUK EC2003, add Kola airfields as one side's base and Jan Mayen as the other side's base. Put some Tu-160 at Kola and arm them with the Kh-101 (one of the Precis-LR loadouts). Then post up an issue report with the scen to HG Issue Tracker or send it to hc3@harpgamer.com. There is too much happening in Guy's scen for me to use it for debugging.

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to Warhorse64)
Post #: 6
RE: Aircraft fly away to edge of target range - 9/4/2009 8:39:17 AM   
COBLU

I've created a very stripped down scenario and sent it to the mail address (only posting here so that no one else feels the need to create the scenario requested).

Cheers,

Guy

(in reply to TonyE)
Post #: 7
RE: Aircraft fly away to edge of target range - 9/4/2009 3:44:19 PM   
TonyE

Thank you sir, much cleaner and easier to follow in the debugger. I should have some thoughts later today.

By the way, that scenario was terribly addicting. It took me nearly three hours to stop playing your save, talk about action! That was the first time I've really played the game in months so thank you, good to rekindle the passion now and again .

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to COBLU)
Post #: 8
RE: Aircraft fly away to edge of target range - 9/4/2009 5:46:17 PM   
COBLU

Glad to hear it

I can't take credit for the scenario itself though as it is from the Yahoo file sharing group (http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/FilesOfScenShare/ - sure you know it Tony, just including it in case any other reader hasn't found it yet) care of Palex80.

Works pretty well from both sides as a nice little slugfest though doesn't it

Cheers,

Guy

(in reply to TonyE)
Post #: 9
RE: Aircraft fly away to edge of target range - 9/4/2009 11:36:43 PM   
TonyE

Issue report created with Guy's stripped down scenario @ http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.php?autocom=bugtracker&showbug=129

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to COBLU)
Post #: 10
RE: Aircraft fly away to edge of target range - 9/5/2009 2:12:14 AM   
TonyE

Issue updated, I addressed it as fairly as I thought possible. Debug GE with the fix is posted in beta area at harpgamer.

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to TonyE)
Post #: 11
RE: Aircraft fly away to edge of target range - 9/5/2009 4:14:37 AM   
donaldseadog

quote:

ORIGINAL: TonyE

Thank you sir, much cleaner and easier to follow in the debugger. I should have some thoughts later today.

By the way, that scenario was terribly addicting. It took me nearly three hours to stop playing your save, talk about action! That was the first time I've really played the game in months so thank you, good to rekindle the passion now and again .

That sounds like something worth having a look at
Don

(in reply to TonyE)
Post #: 12
RE: Aircraft fly away to edge of target range - 9/7/2009 7:42:08 AM   
mack2

Harpoon CE - Even our bug test scenarios are kickass! 

(in reply to donaldseadog)
Post #: 13
RE: Aircraft fly away to edge of target range - 9/7/2009 8:37:18 AM   
COBLU

Tony,
just had a look at the bugtrack comment and I think you've made a good call there. Re-firing against air targets is usually a lot less necessary than against surface targets so it makes sense to have differing actions for the two processes. That said, if you do find that there is a general view that it is an annoying change then I'll happily wind my neck in and say go back to the previous code as it isn't that debilitating a 'bug' really.

Thanks for the fix though.

Guy

(in reply to TonyE)
Post #: 14
RE: Aircraft fly away to edge of target range - 9/7/2009 7:48:31 PM   
TonyE

quote:

ORIGINAL: mack2

Harpoon CE - Even our bug test scenarios are kickass! 

Being a holiday weekend and I needed a break, I played the scenario from the start and had a ball, see my AAR at http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.php?showtopic=6183 (somewhat of a spoiler alert).

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to mack2)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Commander's Edition >> Tech Support >> Aircraft fly away to edge of target range Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI