Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Okay this is frustrating

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Okay this is frustrating Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Okay this is frustrating - 6/12/2002 8:41:37 AM   
Rob Roberson

In one of my Pbem games I came up with a hair brained scheme to attack truk with my only two carriers (it's early). First off, I had forgotton about that silly bug that lets him see me coming..he told me but I let the attack go forward anyway...I was curious. My two carriers managed to truck up to..well Truk with out incident. (We are playing two day turns). Now they are full of fuel..(I topped them off inbound) great pilot morale, doing a 100 naval search, oh what else...set to bomb the port. They get in range and ...nothing. Tied to the deck for two freaking days. Fortunetly truk had crappy weather or some such so his LBA (and his evil carrier suprise) didnt launch at me. Fine...**** lucky. SO my carrier begin their long trek home. I assume he will come after me and he doesnt dissappoint. He has two stinking carriers to my two. No problem I can hang with that. Both task groups spot and [B]react[/B] to each other. NO strikes in the 1st phase ..he gets one off in the second phase. Are you kidding me? Can my luck truly be this bad that I cant get a strike off?

Now what I want to know is where have I gone wrong. I assumed I would lose both carriers in this stupid (brillant if it worked :)) scheme. I can't for the life of me figure out why the hell the carriers didnt launch at all the ships the naval search clearly had found. I should of known something was horrible wrong when they failed to devasted a transport group I spotted inbound to truk. I have played this long enough to know weird things happen..but there was no reason for the strikes not to happen. Clear weather, everything.

help.

Rob :)
Post #: 1
Ow! - 6/12/2002 8:52:11 AM   
von Murrin

Who's in command? I've seen Sherman do that before.

I give approximately two fifths of a !#$% at any given time!

(in reply to Rob Roberson)
Post #: 2
- 6/12/2002 8:54:00 AM   
Jagger2002

I went into battle once with all my carrier aircraft set on training. So-no airstrikes, no CAP, no nothing... Complete massacre of both my carriers.

Don't know if that is your situation but I had to get the story off my chest.

Post #: 3
- 6/12/2002 9:07:38 AM   
von Murrin

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jagger2002
[B]I went into battle once with all my carrier aircraft set on training. So-no airstrikes, no CAP, no nothing... Complete massacre of both my carriers.

Don't know if that is your situation but I had to get the story off my chest. [/B][/QUOTE]

Ehh, that's actually painful to read. I check my squadrons about 4-5 times the day before they engage. I'll bet you're as paranoid as I am now. :p

Post #: 4
- 6/12/2002 9:15:33 AM   
Reiryc

It happened against me =)

Curious though rob, why trade a couple carriers for what might have been at best some transports/tankers/pc boats?

Thankfully I had just received both carriers in time, but no way would those be left at truk. So what were you looking to sink that would be worth 2 carriers? (he only lost 1 for the readers)

Also, have to agree it was a weird situation. I can see how neither his carriers, my carriers, or my lba launched since it was thunderstorms for both days. What I don't get is how in the next turn my carrier group reacts, attacks his (although it appeard the carriers were seperate tf's since my bombers sunk 1 carrier and then only attacked DD's leading me to believe he seperated them) doesn't. Im glad it didnt but odd how the second carrier didnt launch an airstrike.

Did you have your carriers split into 2 air tfs?

Did you have both set to react to enemy or was one or both on retire?

I think I read here or in the manual that TF's low on fuel set to retire...were all of your ships good to go on the fuel? I read you topped them off inbound, but did the DD's have enough fuel on the way out?

Reiryc

Post #: 5
- 6/12/2002 9:33:22 AM   
von Murrin

The only way fuel would affect the launch is if the CV's themselves didn't have the requisite endurance.

Post #: 6
- 6/12/2002 9:53:47 AM   
ExNavyDoc

[QUOTE]Now they are full of fuel..(I topped them off inbound) great pilot morale, doing a 100 naval search, oh what else...set to bomb the port. They get in range and ...nothing. [/QUOTE]

If all your strike aircraft are out searching (100 naval search); there won't be any left on deck to carry bombs to the target.

Post #: 7
- 6/12/2002 9:59:11 AM   
siRkid

Sounds like its time for a change in command:D

Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

Post #: 8
- 6/12/2002 10:05:37 AM   
Rob Roberson

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Reiryc
[B]It happened against me =)

:) Evil man!

Curious though rob, why trade a couple carriers for what might have been at best some transports/tankers/pc boats?

Well I honestly thought that your LBA would give me a hard time in, but with the cap I was able to put up I may at most lost one carrier. I honestly believe that in this game it's not the carrier that rules the waves...its the transports. You have done a masterful job at dispersing your troops all over creation (seriously Im impressed). It was my hope that through legitimate commerce raiding I would bag quite a few transports slipping in and out of Truk. When I spotted you landing on that one island (the spotting that gave away my task group) I was sure my planes were going to fill those transports with bombs. No launch. I shrugged it off. Then I spotted that tanker group leaving truk a turn later. Still no attack...I was getting worried (it was the same turn you said that the bug let you see me.).. at this point I got curious why my carriers werent launching against all this enemy commerce. SO I moved them as close to Truk as I could hoping that would trigger a launch...still no reponse. When I saw the two carriers in port (thanks to my little surface sortie oh those brave sailors) I thought JACKPOT...carriers IN port... I should be able to make my name here...still NO friggin launch. Now I assumed you would sortie out of port...and engage me...fine...I will exchange carrier for carrier...STILL NO LAUNCH...at this point my wife is yelling at me for yelling at the computer...I am astonished ...so as my carriers slink back to port (yes you pounded one but she is still making steam) I am off the wall with frustration. THere is no way I should of made at least one stinkin attack with my carrier air here....that is just wrong.

Did you have your carriers split into 2 air tfs?

Nope one big happy task force (well until now :))

Did you have both set to react to enemy or was one or both on retire?

Both set to react.

I think I read here or in the manual that TF's low on fuel set to retire...were all of your ships good to go on the fuel?

I did top off inbound, and I am sure I had plenty of gas (I very patiently moved oilers to key spots)

I read you topped them off inbound, but did the DD's have enough fuel on the way out?

That I will have to look at ...I have groups of unknown warships in 3 different places Im no longer sure of their fuel statis (some should top of this turn if I have this two day per turn counted right).

Oh and yes I feel that the sacrifice of 1 carrier for a bunch of transports is more then worth it to the Americans. If you can't supply your troops..they die and you can't afford to lose the merchants..in this humble admiral's opinion.

Reiryc [/B][/QUOTE][B]IF[/B] [B]if[/B]

Besides think how suprised you would of been if the bug hadnt alerted you to my sortie :).

Rob

Post #: 9
- 6/12/2002 10:06:49 AM   
Rob Roberson

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ExNavyDoc
[B]

If all your strike aircraft are out searching (100 naval search); there won't be any left on deck to carry bombs to the target. [/B][/QUOTE]

Nope...I had one squadron of dauntlesses on each carrier searching..everyone else was cocked locked and ready to go on the flight deck.

Rob

Post #: 10
- 6/12/2002 10:09:19 AM   
Rob Roberson

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kid
[B]Sounds like its time for a change in command:D [/B][/QUOTE]

Heh between this and my brave (note the sarcasm) army air and this little naval faux paus (yes the admiral will be put in charge of a garbage scow)

Reiryc is kicking my fanny....oh that and he is **** good. He has layed out a masterful plan and frankly IM pretty much being rolled back everywhere. Part of Operation Hairbrain was as much to lift my morale with a victory "Somewhere" as anything else. He is doing that well.

Post #: 11
"Pacwar attack bug" - 6/12/2002 5:19:22 PM   
ADavidB

"Now what I want to know is where have I gone wrong. I assumed I would lose both carriers in this stupid (brillant if it worked ) scheme. I can't for the life of me figure out why the hell the carriers didnt launch at all the ships the naval search clearly had found. I should of known something was horrible wrong when they failed to devasted a transport group I spotted inbound to truk. I have played this long enough to know weird things happen..but there was no reason for the strikes not to happen. Clear weather, everything"

Welcome to the wonderful world of the "Pacwar Attack Bug" which has somehow crawled over from that grand old game and into this grand new game. I used to see the same thing way too often in PW, and I'm starting to see it in UV now too. The only "encouraging" part is that it happened to you in a pbem game - I always assumed it was just an AI cheat.

It appears to me that there are some very subtle and un-documented factors that the players need to know ( and that the AI does know ) in order to optimize naval attacks. It's almost like the hidden "preparation points" in PW that your headquarters had to give to TFs and you never knew if you had enough. Now having seen this in two GG naval games, I'm going to hazard a guess and speculate that this is something inherent in GG's game designs.

So what are the real controlling factors, folks at Matrix and 2x3? What do we have to do to make certain that our TFs actually attack what we order them to attack? Are there "preparation points" hidden in UV somewhere?

Sigh - let's hope that some of this goes away in Patch 1.

Dave B

Post #: 12
WEll - 6/12/2002 8:17:41 PM   
vils

I had similair experience but vice versa against the AI yesterday. He never got any strike off, and i crushed him completely, ammo storage explosions and everything, CV Juno, CV Shokaku and CVL Sho-something..

They went under within hours..

;)

Take Command! - Lewis E. Lyle

Post #: 13
- 6/12/2002 9:01:39 PM   
Sabre21

Rob

I am sure that there was somebody back in '42 that said the same thing about the Doolittle raid being a "hair brained scheme", the only difference was that there mission was accomplished. But I'm sure that if it failed they would have found the poor guy that thought it up and put him in charge of that garbage scow:D

Andy

Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Okay this is frustrating Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI