Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Re arming of First Striking Force carriers

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Re arming of First Striking Force carriers Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Re arming of First Striking Force carriers - 9/6/2009 3:44:16 AM   
Tone

Are trying to figure which ports I can use to re arm my Striking Force carriers at

Have read the manual and get headache thinking

Is simple way to figure which port can be used please

Both the victor
and the vanquished are
but drops of dew,
but bolts of lightning -
thus should we view the world.
Ôuchi Yoshitaka
1507-1551
Post #: 1
RE: Re arming of First Striking Force carriers - 9/6/2009 3:48:54 AM   
oldman45

Simple way would be size 7 port or larger with supply and fuel.

(in reply to Tone)
Post #: 2
RE: Re arming of First Striking Force carriers - 9/6/2009 4:40:09 AM   
erstad

quote:

ORIGINAL: oldman45

Simple way would be size 7 port or larger with supply and fuel.

Simple, perhaps, but not very practical. Japan starts with only two size 7+ ports outside the Home islands: Port Arthur, in Korea; and Shanghai, in China. Neither is well positioned to rearm the striking force, especially if it attacked Pearl.

Your basic choices are places like Kwajalein or Truk. Truk starts as a level 6 port, so needs an additional 160 naval support to reload torpedo sorties (you can find this on p. 287 of the manual). It has that at the start. Kwaj is a level 3, so it needs 292 naval support squads. It only starts with 224 (plus 16 disabled); fortunately Truk has an excess at the start so ship some to Kwaj at the beginning and both ports can fully rearm the CVs. (Without the extra naval support at Kwaj, it can rearm bombs but not torpedos).

Note you generally want a little extra naval support because you don't want one squad to become disabled and make it impossible to rearm. Note also the naval support has to be in combat mode. (I think. I know for sure it *can't* be in rest mode)

< Message edited by erstad -- 9/6/2009 4:41:11 AM >

(in reply to oldman45)
Post #: 3
RE: Re arming of First Striking Force carriers - 9/6/2009 2:10:46 PM   
ny59giants

Besides the combination of port and naval support to reload KB, you can start off by converting a few xAKs to AKEs. There are a large number of xAK Aden Class in Japan that can do this. They will have a cargo capacity of just over 3700 after the 21 days to convert.

You need to look at the table on pages 284 thru 288. The "Rearm Cost" column tells you how much supplies you must have in your tenders to be able to reload that weapon while the "tender" column tells you which tenders can reload. The AKE and AE are the jack of all trades when it comes to reloading. The second row on page 288 has the 18 inch torpedo. It has a reload cost of 1090 and can be done by 4 different types of tenders (AE, AKE, AS, AD). But only the AE and AKE can do so for CVs.

A question that I don't have the answer to, is how many AKEs does it take to reload KB's torpedoes?? It would seem to be possible, but Ihaven't gotten that far in my games to know if this is certainty. Is it??

Once the AKEs uses it on board supplies (in this example if your AKE gets below 1090 supplies, then it is unable to reload those torpedoes), you will need to form them into a "Support TF." I have them set to load supplies and automatic disband once that is done.

(in reply to erstad)
Post #: 4
RE: Re arming of First Striking Force carriers - 9/6/2009 2:52:17 PM   
SireChaos

quote:

ORIGINAL: erstad

Note you generally want a little extra naval support because you don't want one squad to become disabled and make it impossible to rearm. Note also the naval support has to be in combat mode. (I think. I know for sure it *can't* be in rest mode)

Can´t be in Strategic mode, either.

(in reply to erstad)
Post #: 5
RE: Re arming of First Striking Force carriers - 9/6/2009 3:24:37 PM   
Shark7

If Truk, Pescadores, Takao and Saigon have enough naval support, they should be able to re-arm them. Also, you will be able to capture a few larger size ports down the road, and improve enough to allow re-arming closer to the front lines if you like. I haven't fully tested this, but you do need to remember that Naval support and naval HQs have the effect of increasing port size.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Tone)
Post #: 6
RE: Re arming of First Striking Force carriers - 9/6/2009 4:17:43 PM   
Tone

Thank you for the answers

Yes I will build up Truk then Babeldaob as base for re arming of the Combined Fleet

I feel that the carriers will have most work to do in Southeast Fleet area

Both the victor
and the vanquished are
but drops of dew,
but bolts of lightning -
thus should we view the world.
Ôuchi Yoshitaka
1507-1551

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 7
RE: Re arming of First Striking Force carriers - 9/7/2009 6:15:13 PM   
Herrbear

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

Besides the combination of port and naval support to reload KB, you can start off by converting a few xAKs to AKEs. There are a large number of xAK Aden Class in Japan that can do this. They will have a cargo capacity of just over 3700 after the 21 days to convert.

You need to look at the table on pages 284 thru 288. The "Rearm Cost" column tells you how much supplies you must have in your tenders to be able to reload that weapon while the "tender" column tells you which tenders can reload. The AKE and AE are the jack of all trades when it comes to reloading. The second row on page 288 has the 18 inch torpedo. It has a reload cost of 1090 and can be done by 4 different types of tenders (AE, AKE, AS, AD). But only the AE and AKE can do so for CVs.

A question that I don't have the answer to, is how many AKEs does it take to reload KB's torpedoes?? It would seem to be possible, but Ihaven't gotten that far in my games to know if this is certainty. Is it??

Once the AKEs uses it on board supplies (in this example if your AKE gets below 1090 supplies, then it is unable to reload those torpedoes), you will need to form them into a "Support TF." I have them set to load supplies and automatic disband once that is done.

Looking at the same chart you are referring to above, should you not be looking at the Torp Sorties row for rearming CVs(page 288) and not the 18in torpedo? It would take supplies of 1500 in the AKE instead of 1090.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Re arming of First Striking Force carriers Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI