Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Mine Warfare

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Mine Warfare Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mine Warfare - 6/8/2002 2:45:53 AM   
Toro

Okay, I must be missing something. I send out my minelayers (with retirement allowed setting, so they can lay mines) and give them a destination, but they don't lay mines.

I discovered this because then I sent out two DMW ships (together) to a location, and they DID lay mines (the little square appeared in the hex).

1. Why won't my minelayers do this?

2. Why can't I lay mines in a base (or potential base) hex?

:confused:
Post #: 1
- 6/8/2002 3:08:42 AM   
jhdeerslayer

16 miles SE of Hell like Ann Arbor maybe? Practically neighbors. May be a stupid question but are there mines loaded on board? Saw some earlier poast on this.

(in reply to Toro)
Post #: 2
Mines onboard - 6/8/2002 4:10:43 AM   
Toro

Deerslayer, how the heck are ya. Yep, just down 23 from you. We'll have to take on a PBEM game, soon as I iron out my play and game dynamics. Sound good?

Mines onboard... my understanding (could be wrong) is that by docking, weapons were auto filled. If not, then I missed that portion of the manual that told me how to load mines. I'll check again tonight with those DMWs that seem to be so successful.

Also, any thoughts on why a minelayer wants to dock in a port where I want it to lay mines instead?

(in reply to Toro)
Post #: 3
- 6/8/2002 4:44:53 AM   
jhdeerslayer

PBEM sounds good someday but I'm like you, very fresh and just started this game this week. I am no expert either and I thought mines should auto load at dock. As far as your other question... some expert can handle that one.

Lets keep in touch for future PBEM as soon as we abuse the AI for awhile :-)

(in reply to Toro)
Post #: 4
Mine Laying - 6/8/2002 6:02:05 AM   
Point Luck

I asked this same question I noticed that certain MSW vessels have mines onboard others don't (more don't) I can't figure out if I can load mines on MSW that don't have mines on board. As far as subs go I haven't found any sub chosen for mine laying OPs to have mines on board. Again I you have to load these units first I haven't see where this happens. I do know that any ship selected for mine OPs MUST have mines onboard as part of thier loadout.

(in reply to Toro)
Post #: 5
- 6/8/2002 11:51:51 AM   
Supervisor

[QUOTE]As far as subs go I haven't found any sub chosen for mine laying OPs to have mines on board.[/QUOTE]
When I have created SS minelaying TFs, when I choose the sub there is a pause while it says: Loading xx Type mine. After laying and when back in port, the only way to reload the sub is to disband and reform the TF. Refueling/replenishing it doesn't reload the mines.

[QUOTE]I noticed that certain MSW vessels have mines onboard others don't (more don't) I can't figure out if I can load mines on MSW that don't have mines on board.[/QUOTE]
The only ships that I've found that can lay mines are ML & DM. MSW & DMS will only sweep (not lay) mines. I have never seen a MSW that has mine loadout. (Not that says a lot :D :D ).

(in reply to Toro)
Post #: 6
- 6/12/2002 9:01:09 PM   
corbulo

This sounds right, that mls lay mines and mswes sweep mines, but why does the manual make such a big deal out of setting the retirement allowed function so as to lay mines. I have had the same problem as the japanese. I have an ML that has 60 mines on board but it wont lay mines, another ML close by has 45 mines on board and it lays mines - gives the message "will lay mines at DH". I have tried every conceivable setting and still will not lay mines, it is possible that there are mines already there.

virtute omne regatur

(in reply to Toro)
Post #: 7
- 6/12/2002 11:09:23 PM   
Mark W Carver

[QUOTE]Originally posted by corbulo
This sounds right, that mls lay mines and mswes sweep mines, but why does the manual make sure a big deal out of setting the retirement allowed function so as to lay mines.
[/QUOTE]

Because if a Mine Warfare TF with ML or DM (with mines loaded) is set to Patrol/Do Not Retire, once it reaches it's DH, it will not lay mines. They will only lay mines if the TF is set Retirement Allowed.

You sweep a minefield with Patrol/Do Not Retire and lay a minefield with Retirement Allowed...

(in reply to Toro)
Post #: 8
- 6/12/2002 11:48:28 PM   
corbulo

is the opposite true, an msw will not sweep unless
PATROL/DO NOT RETIRE
is set? (p. 44)

virtute omne regatur

(in reply to Toro)
Post #: 9
One last element - 6/13/2002 1:23:24 AM   
Toro

Thanks for the notes, all. Got the ML vs MS down now (I, too, was confused by the manual suggesting the "retire" setting would solve my problem).

HOWEVER: I've seen notes from folks able to lay mines in base (or potential base) hexes, but can't seem to convince my MLs to do this. Thoughts?

Thanks, Toro

(in reply to Toro)
Post #: 10
- 6/13/2002 2:22:15 AM   
Didz

I think I'm also right in saying that Subs do not load or reload mines unless the TF they are in is disbanded and reformed as a Sub Minelaying mission.

I've certainly noticed my subs travel all the way to the destination hex and back without laying a mine.

I'm not sure about DM's most of the time they seem to work fine but just occasionally they seem to forget to do something.

Didz
Fortis balore et armis

(in reply to Toro)
Post #: 11
- 6/13/2002 2:24:34 AM   
sitkis

I can only get a ML TF to lay mines at a base if I set the home port for the ML TF to something else. If you want to lay mines at your new Munda base you would need to have a ML task force with a home port close (say Shortland,) and have it do the run from there. If you set the home base to Munda it won't mine Munda. Basically, it looks like the routine for laying mines is much like a night bombardment dash. The ML task force will set up 5 or 6 hexes away, then dash in at night to lay the mines.

If you take a base a long distance from any other base (Japs taking PM without taking Gili for example) it is impossible to mine that hex. Unless someone can educate this old man.

(in reply to Toro)
Post #: 12
Thanks, sitkis - 6/13/2002 6:32:59 AM   
Toro

I'll give your idea a try.

(in reply to Toro)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Mine Warfare Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI