Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Canadian campaign????????

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Canadian campaign???????? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Canadian campaign???????? - 11/2/2000 11:45:00 PM   
pops

Puleeeeease! If anyone of you fine fellers could make one I'd (we'd) be most eternally grateful!!!!!!!

Post #: 1
- 11/3/2000 2:06:00 AM   
Mr.Ed

Didn't the Canadians play more of a support role for the British, I mean they had some glory like in Ortona but did they really have there own campaign without the British?

(in reply to pops)
Post #: 2
- 11/3/2000 2:36:00 AM   
McGib

We sure did Mr Ed. The Canadian Army was on the right flank of the allied armies, advancing up the european coast. The Canadian Army liberated Holland. One of the more well known campaigns for the Canucks was the Scheldt Estuary, just west of Antwerp, clearing it allowed the allies to use the port without exposing ships to german gunfire. ------------------ McGib Ready Aye Ready

Ready Aye Ready

(in reply to pops)
Post #: 3
- 11/3/2000 3:12:00 AM   
Tankhead

And lets not forget The D-Day Dodgers. The Canadians in Italy, 1943-1945. Very brutal for the Canadians. Tankhead ------------------ Rick Cloutier [email]rcclout@telusplanet.net[/email] Coordinator: Tankhead's SPWAW Resources http://tankhead.home.icq.com

Tankhead

(in reply to pops)
Post #: 4
- 11/3/2000 3:43:00 AM   
Fabs

The Canadians fought in independent Canadian formations. They were first class troops, arguably more aggressive than their British counterparts. There is some controversy as to the quality of their high level commanders. They fought hard and bloody battles both in Sicily, Italy and in Normandy/North West Europe. They are represented separately in SPWAW, and there is no reason why they should not have a campaign of their own. I for one would welcome it. It would be good if there were more Canadian scenarios, too. Some of the battles fought by Canadians with distinction would be difficult to represent in SPWAW, because they were fought over extremely rough mountainous terrain. The action fought by the Hasty Pees against 15th Panzergrenadier Division at Valguarnera and Assoro is a case in point. There is an extremely good account of these actions in Farley Mowat's book, "And no birds sang" (alas, no maps...). Even the Granmichele ambush, which has been re-created for SPWAW, would in reality need more and steeper elevation levels. ------------------ Fabs

Fabs

(in reply to pops)
Post #: 5
- 11/3/2000 3:52:00 AM   
Tankhead

And here a song the Canadians sang in sunny Italy. Sung to the tune of their favorite, "Lili Marlene" it was entitled, "We Are the D-Day Dodgers" We are the D-Day Dodgers, out in Italy, Always on the vino, always on the spree. Eighth Army skivers and their tanks, We go to war, in ties and slacks, We are the D-Day Dodgers, in sunny Italy. We fought into Agira, a holiday with pay; Jerry brought his bands out to cheer us on on our way, Showed us the sights and gaves us tea, We all sang songs, the beer was free, We are the D-Day Dodgers, in sunny Italy. The Moro and Ortona were taken in our stride, We didn't really fight there, we went there for the ride. Sleeping 'til noon playing games, We live in Rome with lots of dames. We are the D-Day Dodgers, in sunny Italy. On our way to Florence, we had a lovely time, We drove a bus from Rimini, right through the Gothic Line. Then to Bologna we did go, We all went swimming in the Po, We are the D-Day Dodgers, in sunny Italy. We hear the boys in France are going home on leave After six months' service, such a shame they're not relieved. We were told to carry on a few more years, Because our wives don't shed no tears, We are the D-Day Dodgers, in sunny Italy. We are the D-Day Dodgers, way out in Italy. We're always tight, we cannot fight. What bloody use are we? Tankhead ------------------ Rick Cloutier [email]rcclout@telusplanet.net[/email] Coordinator: Tankhead's SPWAW Resources http://tankhead.home.icq.com

Tankhead

(in reply to pops)
Post #: 6
- 11/3/2000 5:48:00 AM   
Mr.Ed

Yes I guess you're right but what I meant is didn't the Canadian's recieve their orders from the British? I know I'm going to get flamed for this but it seems to me that Canadian people claim they did alot more than they actually did. Hey don't get me wrong the U.S.A. does it too though. I guess every country does it.

(in reply to pops)
Post #: 7
- 11/3/2000 6:03:00 AM   
Bonzo

The comment about higher Canadian command does have some merit, but it applies as well to all the Allied higher command. The worst offender was, undoubtably General Crearer (to whom political perceptions and promotion meant more than lives) who pushed hard for the Dieppe raid (Now there's and assault scenarion for the truly masochistic!!) Other Generals were much better. Andy McNaughton was a fine commander with an artillery background and good experience. He developed and coordinated a system of flash spotting and sound ranging during the first world war that resulted in very effective counter-battery fire for the assault on Vimy Ridge (Battle of Arras, April 9, 1917). Another good general (& arguably Canada's best in WW2) was Lieutenant-General G.G. Simonds. Highly thought of by the British High Command & the officer responsible for the development of the "Kangaroo" (the first true armoured personel carrier) developed for and first used in Operation Totalize, August 7, 1944. Bonzo ------------------ Robert (Bonzo) Lindsay, Coordinator 28th (North-west) Battalion Headquarters http://dreadnaught.home.icq.com [email]nwbattalion@icqmail.com[/email]

Robert (Bonzo) Lindsay, Webmaster 28th (North-west) Battalion Headquarters Main http://www.nwbattalion.com E-mail

(in reply to pops)
Post #: 8
- 11/3/2000 6:09:00 AM   
Drake

quote:

Originally posted by Mr.Ed: Yes I guess you're right but what I meant is didn't the Canadian's recieve their orders from the British? I know I'm going to get flamed for this but it seems to me that Canadian people claim they did alot more than they actually did. Hey don't get me wrong the U.S.A. does it too though. I guess every country does it.
So what do that have to do with the Canadians haveing their own campaign? Their were a number of british units under the commmand of the 1st canadian army two along with a polish armoured division. Do this in some way invalite the fighting they did? I think what the canadians did for such a small nation in WWII is outstanding. They ended the war with one of the larges navies in the world and the number of troops they pervided to the war is outstanding.

(in reply to pops)
Post #: 9
- 11/3/2000 6:35:00 AM   
rexmonday

You can take one of the current campaigns (eg. Utah to Rhine) and go into the campaign editor, and I believe it is as simple as changing the nation flag to change the core nationality. AUX forces and support will probably remain as US. I haven't tried it myself, but maybe it will do in the meantime?

(in reply to pops)
Post #: 10
- 11/3/2000 7:04:00 AM   
thor

If you did the number crunching you would see that Canada's commitment in WWII far exceeded many of the so called "MAJOR" nations. Of course this is on a per capita basis. You should also look at Canada's production numbers and you would see that if anything Canada is underrated by most historians. Another Crazy Canuck [This message has been edited by thor (edited November 02, 2000).]

(in reply to pops)
Post #: 11
- 11/3/2000 7:18:00 AM   
M4 Jess Housley

I'll take that callange... Cans, comming up, start in say... 1943?... 10 scenarios? All med size maps?? I love it ! M4

I remember the Tigers...poor lost kittys....Here Kitty..kitty

(in reply to pops)
Post #: 12
- 11/3/2000 7:52:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Since you are taking it, I'll give it to you Jess. The Canadians performed admirably in WW2, beginning at Dieppe (42) through to the end. I've always had the highest regards for the Canucks and felt that they have never gotten their just recognition for their heroic fighting in Western Europe. Their fighting from Juno on to Caen and beyond would make an EXCELLENT campaign. If I had a little more info on their activities from Sept 44 through May 45, I would have already done one. So Jess, we'll count on you to do it. I look forward to seeing it. ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to pops)
Post #: 13
- 11/3/2000 8:10:00 AM   
M4 Jess Housley

Thank you Wild Bill... I'll try to live up to your teachings... but you are right.. Sword to Caen and be-yound... :-) ------------------

(in reply to pops)
Post #: 14
- 11/3/2000 8:12:00 AM   
M4 Jess Housley

Or was that Juno... hmmm LOL... guess I hace some reading to do ! K-boom ! M4

(in reply to pops)
Post #: 15
- 11/3/2000 10:12:00 AM   
Toey

Didn't WB do an article on a Canadian Tank Company that attacked the wrong hill neat Caen and were surrounded by Jerries? That would make an interesting battle.

(in reply to pops)
Post #: 16
- 11/3/2000 10:19:00 AM   
Tankhead

Hi All! A Canadians campaign in Italy would also be great Wild Bill "hint, hint" . 1943-1945 very hard fighting in very rough terrain and weather. Tankhead ------------------ Rick Cloutier [email]rcclout@telusplanet.net[/email] Coordinator: Tankhead's SPWAW Resources http://tankhead.home.icq.com [This message has been edited by Tankhead (edited November 02, 2000).]

Tankhead

(in reply to pops)
Post #: 17
- 11/3/2000 10:47:00 AM   
Bonzo

Feel free to call on me for info on the Canadian campaign. I've got a copy of the official history - 3 volumes, 550-600 pages per vol, lots of maps. Vol 1 - Hong Kong (got our butts kicked there), Aleutians (there's a forgotten battleground, fighting the Japanese in the snow), France 1940 (as British pulled out at Dunkirk, the pushed others in at Brest, including Canadian 1st Brigade) & Dieppe. Vol 2 - Canada in Italy 43-45 Vol 3 - Northwest Europe 44-45 Bonzo ------------------ Robert (Bonzo) Lindsay, Coordinator 28th (North-west) Battalion Headquarters http://dreadnaught.home.icq.com [email]nwbattalion@icqmail.com[/email]

Robert (Bonzo) Lindsay, Webmaster 28th (North-west) Battalion Headquarters Main http://www.nwbattalion.com E-mail

(in reply to pops)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Canadian campaign???????? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI