Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: War in the East Q&A

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: War in the East Q&A Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/9/2009 5:01:51 PM   
Brady

How does Weather efect operations?

Can Rail transport/Rolling Stock be targeted/Interdicted? (By means other than Partasians)-Air Atack.

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depend on our point of view

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 121
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/9/2009 6:09:57 PM   
Hard Sarge

Clear and Snow, you will love

Mud, you will Scream

Blizzard, you will die

weather will effect MP, supply and range (the costs to reach a supply source)

Clear everything is good

Snow, is bad, but you can still get some supply and you can move

Mud is bad, unless you right on top of your supply line, you not getting much, with out supply, you not moving much, and with Supply, you still not moving much

Blizzard, you die

for the Russian, when the weather is bad, it is your friend, for the German, when the weather is good, it is your friend

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 122
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/9/2009 6:11:55 PM   
Hard Sarge

the 2nd part

well, you can break rail lines, as you move, if you break a line, one side or the other will need to repair it, to make a good line again, but, for one side or the other

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 123
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/9/2009 6:16:48 PM   
hank

quote:

ORIGINAL: jaw

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brady

The Turns are Weekly??? (wow)

If I miesed it I am sry, whats the Hex scale?

10 miles to the hex, a maximum of 3 units (regardless of size) can stack in a hex.

I was wondering what reason was used to limit hex stacking by unit count, regardless of unit size?

Does that mean you could stack three Div's in a hex OR three regiments in a hex (after breakdown) but you could not stack three regiments and one Div?
That's similar to SSG's games (Korsun Pocket, BiN, BiI, BF, Kharkhov) except they use a four stack limit. TOAW also has a limit but its 9 (I think).

I've never seen the logic behind that philosophy. PzCampaigns uses a different concept. It basically uses a hex density calculation if I remember correctly. (one or two large units with numerous men, equipment, etc could limit any other units from entering thier hex OR you can stack a dozen smaller units or more in a hex with less men and equipment)

< Message edited by hank -- 9/9/2009 6:18:00 PM >

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 124
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/9/2009 6:56:09 PM   
Brady

If the Axis advance beyond "X" point on the map does it mean that they will reduce or elimanate or delay certain soviet reniforcements, basicaly over ran their orgine points or the production centers.

Terain- Presumably when Mountains like the Caucasus are encountered specialaised troops like Gebirgsjager will preform better than non specialsied troops for movement determanations (or in Snow?).

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depend on our point of view

(in reply to hank)
Post #: 125
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/9/2009 9:47:14 PM   
jaw

quote:

ORIGINAL: hank

I was wondering what reason was used to limit hex stacking by unit count, regardless of unit size?

Does that mean you could stack three Div's in a hex OR three regiments in a hex (after breakdown) but you could not stack three regiments and one Div?
That's similar to SSG's games (Korsun Pocket, BiN, BiI, BF, Kharkhov) except they use a four stack limit. TOAW also has a limit but its 9 (I think).

I've never seen the logic behind that philosophy. PzCampaigns uses a different concept. It basically uses a hex density calculation if I remember correctly. (one or two large units with numerous men, equipment, etc could limit any other units from entering thier hex OR you can stack a dozen smaller units or more in a hex with less men and equipment)

I can't answer your first question except to say that was what Gary wanted and yes, the stacking is three units of any size period, no exceptions.

(in reply to hank)
Post #: 126
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/9/2009 9:51:58 PM   
jaw

quote:

If the Axis advance beyond "X" point on the map does it mean that they will reduce or elimanate or delay certain soviet reniforcements, basicaly over ran their orgine points or the production centers.

Terain- Presumably when Mountains like the Caucasus are encountered specialaised troops like Gebirgsjager will preform better than non specialsied troops for movement determanations (or in Snow?).

I've never succeeded in overrunning a deployment area so I'll have to leave that question for someone else. Overrunning factories will damage Soviet production and that will obviously negatively impact the ability to create or re-build units.

Mountain divisions pay lower movement costs when moving in rough or mountain terrain.

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 127
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/9/2009 10:06:23 PM   
Brady

Thanks again for the replys, I am getting more and more into the idea of this game as we go along

Are NKVD units represented in any way?

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 128
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/10/2009 5:51:57 AM   
Sabre21

quote:

Thanks again for the replys, I am getting more and more into the idea of this game as we go along

Yes..there is an NKVD division at the start up in the Baltic Military District and a large number of NKVD regiments scattered all over the battlefield. There may be additional divisions but I don't recall seeing any.

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 129
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/10/2009 7:13:58 AM   
Brady

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sabre21

quote:

Yes..there is an NKVD division at the start up in the Baltic Military District and a large number of NKVD regiments scattered all over the battlefield. There may be additional divisions but I don't recall seeing any.

Do they have any efect on units their stacked with, that is non NKVD units.

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 130
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/10/2009 8:12:59 AM   
Helpless

quote:

No. why they should?

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 131
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/10/2009 10:23:16 AM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

ORIGINAL: Helpless

quote:

No. why they should?

Because NKVD units were used to make other Soviet units fight harder (no retreat etc.), although I don't know if it made any real difference in the situation the Russians were experiencing during 41/42. The effect would be limited up until a general collapse, when NKVD units would be swept away with all other types of unit.

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 132
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/10/2009 10:35:14 AM   
jaw

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rasputitsa

quote:

ORIGINAL: Helpless

quote:

No. why they should?

Because NKVD units were used to make other Soviet units fight harder (no retreat etc.), although I don't know if it made any real difference in the situation the Russians were experiencing during 41/42. The effect would be limited up until a general collapse, when NKVD units would be swept away with all other types of unit.

The NKVD units you're referring to where not divisions but smaller formations called blocking detachments that do not show up at the scale of WitE.

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 133
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/10/2009 2:15:13 PM   
Iñaki Harrizabalagatar

How detailed is equipment in the TOEs? How many PzIV models, for instance? What about Artillery pieces, are different models listed or just generic types like "150mm Howitzer"?

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 134
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/10/2009 4:20:02 PM   
Brady

Uman Pocket, is this type of envelopment manuave posable in game? Can condations be created whear Very large forces can be forced to surender.

I asume horses are a "produced" Item, I beleave in the above (Uman) example historicaly some 4,000 horses were taken. (p.117 Alpine Elite,Lucas). (and 4700 lories).

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

(in reply to Iñaki Harrizabalagatar)
Post #: 135
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/10/2009 4:47:57 PM   
Hard Sarge

Uman should be doable, one of the pockets I made last week, netted me around 70,000 men, not counting the ones who escaped, my pocket around Lvov was larger, but took longer to mop up

as the Russian, I was able to trap a very large number of Romy/Germen troops, that may of been 150-180,000 POWed once it was cleared

my current game is interesting and could be called a battle of pockets, the Germans pocketed a large force around Kiev, then I pocketed two of the groups who had Kev circled, then it was a race to see who could break though the circles

I would say, I simi won the race, I opened a path to Kiev, but lost over half of the troops in the Kiev pocket, then lost another Army when the Germans started a new relief effort to the pocket that was formed with my breakthough

I may not be able to stop the next attempt that is forming, but there won't be anything left in the pocket by the time it gets there

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 136
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/10/2009 5:43:08 PM   
Brady

Sounds fun, How does the game handel the surender of the traped forces, is it a suply isue, presumably if you cut their rail and or road links back toward their suply they will evuantialy surender, or does it boil down to simply destroying the forces through engagement with them.

Can they be suplyed (to varying degrease) by air?

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 137
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/10/2009 6:25:54 PM   
Hard Sarge

quote:

Sounds fun, How does the game handel the surender of the traped forces, is it a suply isue, presumably if you cut their rail and or road links back toward their suply they will evuantialy surender, or does it boil down to simply destroying the forces through engagement with them.

morale and supply, they start failing morale checks, they will surrender, or you beat them over the head until they get the idea

Can they be suplyed (to varying degrease) by air?

yes, both sides has transports, and in a pinch Level bombers can also load up supplies, supply missions can be costly, but will help a pocket hold out

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 138
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/10/2009 6:45:37 PM   
Shupov

Questions about using air units in defense -

Can a fighter unit be assigned as CAP for a particular hex (like Moscow)?  Likewise, can fighters and bombers be assigned to defend a hex against ground attack? 

Or do fighters and bombers defend all hexes with a certain range?

How are flak units represented?  Are they attached to other units as support or are they separate (and subject to the three unit stacking limit)?

Count me in as a first-day buyer of this game!

STALINADE

The real RED soda!

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 139
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/10/2009 6:56:34 PM   
Brady

Why was Finland not included, or rather the northern sectors along the murmansk front ?

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

(in reply to Shupov)
Post #: 140
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/10/2009 8:35:07 PM   
Helpless

quote:

Why was Finland not included, or rather the northern sectors along the murmansk front ?

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2152979

Pavel Zagzin

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 141
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/10/2009 8:37:20 PM   
Helpless

quote:

Or do fighters and bombers defend all hexes with a certain range?

More like that.

quote:

How are flak units represented? Are they attached to other units as support or are they separate (and subject to the three unit stacking limit)?

As support units or integral part of divisional/brigade level AA

Pavel Zagzin

(in reply to Shupov)
Post #: 142
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/10/2009 9:15:07 PM   
jaw

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iñaki Harrizabalagatar

How detailed is equipment in the TOEs? How many PzIV models, for instance? What about Artillery pieces, are different models listed or just generic types like "150mm Howitzer"?

Detail is comparable to the original STEEL PANTHERS. For example, game includes the Panzer IVc, e. f, f2, g, h, & j. Artillery is detailed by caliber although if you click on an artillery piece you get the historical name of the gun. For example, 150mm sFH18 Howitzer.

Post #: 143
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/10/2009 10:39:42 PM   
Brady

quote:

I asume horses are a "produced" Item, I beleave in the above (Uman) example historicaly some 4,000 horses were taken. (p.117 Alpine Elite,Lucas). (and 4700 lories).

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 144
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/11/2009 2:04:25 AM   
jaw

quote:

quote:

The cost of horses is included in the cost of cavalry squads. The draft horses (the ones that pull wagons) are not separately produced.

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 145
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/11/2009 9:22:11 AM   
Iñaki Harrizabalagatar

What about movement and ZOCs? Do they stop any unit, or is their strenght dependant of the type and size of unit?

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 146
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/11/2009 1:11:52 PM   
jaw

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iñaki Harrizabalagatar

What about movement and ZOCs? Do they stop any unit, or is their strenght dependant of the type and size of unit?

Movement costs vary by terrain, weather, type of unit and, if moving into an enemy controlled hex, size and morale of moving unit.

All combat unit exert the same ZOC regardless of size.

Post #: 147
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/12/2009 3:34:03 AM   
Shupov

Does the "Pool" concept exist in WitE (like WiR)? Are the numbers visible to players?

STALINADE

The real RED soda!

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 148
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/12/2009 9:28:16 AM   
Helpless

quote:

Does the "Pool" concept exist in WitE (like WiR)? Are the numbers visible to players?

yes to both

Pavel Zagzin

(in reply to Shupov)
Post #: 149
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/12/2009 3:05:51 PM   
Pford

quote:

ORIGINAL: jaw
I can't answer your first question except to say that was what Gary wanted and yes, the stacking is three units of any size period, no exceptions.

This was done in the interests of organizational hygiene? One of the screen shots (December, '41?) looks pretty peculiar with the deep ranks of Soviet 3 unit hexes. A corps consolidation option for the Russkies would reduce clutter, no? Maybe the comparisons with Panzer General, the absence of player controlled production, the rigid ZOCs makes this version more of a beer & pretzels game and less a cousin to WITP.

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: War in the East Q&A Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI