Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Carrier Repair advice

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Carrier Repair advice Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Carrier Repair advice - 9/16/2009 6:38:31 PM   
Chijohnaok2

I am reaching out for people's opinions/advice:

Scenario:

CV Yorktown took some lumps in a carrier battle off of Canton Island. First impression was the damage was moderate, but not critical. IIRC, her floatation damage was at around 32 or so. I was going to return her to Pearl Harbor for repair. Next turn her floatation damage was up over 66% (perhaps a large gaping torpedo hole in her side?). I managed to get her to Palmyra Island and disbanded her into the port. I sent two AR repair ships to Palmyra and they have been nursing her back from the dead.

Her system damage will be zero within 4 turns. Her engine damage is zero. Her major floatation damage is 66. I built Palmyra up to a level 2 port (am 61% of the way to level 3).

Can I build the port up to the point where a shipyard is "hatched"? (I don't think so, but am checking).

I am worried that at 66% major floatation damage, she may not survive the trip back to PH.....

Any comments or suggestions would be most appreciated.

< Message edited by chijohnaok -- 9/16/2009 6:40:50 PM >

Feel free to drop by and chat about whatever is on your mind.
Post #: 1
RE: Carrier Repair advice - 9/16/2009 6:46:53 PM   
Dr. Duh

Well, from my (limited) experience with AE, you can sail pretty safely with even high float damage - but I've always followed what I thought was the advice - to repair float damage until only major damage is left. So I haven't intentionally tried a lot of tests to see how lots of minor float damage works.

i.e. if you've got 85 float dmg (85 major) you're probably going to make it, but if you've got 85 float dmg (10 major) you're probably not.

(in reply to Chijohnaok2)
Post #: 2
RE: Carrier Repair advice - 9/16/2009 6:53:52 PM   
Erik Rutins

The two key elements in your situation are getting System Damage down to zero, which means all the pumps will be working, and getting all the minor Flotation damage (which means actual water in the ship) out. The major Flotation damage is effectively structural - holes in the hull, warped bulkheads, etc. Once all the minor Flotation is gone, it's assumed emergency patches are in place and that the rest of the ship is watertight. With 0 System damage, at that point you have very good odds of getting her home.

There are a number of very low risk catastrophic events that can still happen when a ship has major flotation that high, but you should be fine as long as those don't happen and even if they do System damage at 0 gives you a fighting chance. I'd say on the way home stay fairly close to possible ports, just in case.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Dr. Duh)
Post #: 3
RE: Carrier Repair advice - 9/16/2009 7:48:05 PM   
witpqs

Remember to use "Cruise Speed" instead of mission speed.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 4
RE: Carrier Repair advice - 9/23/2009 2:16:23 PM   
Chijohnaok2

USS Yorktown made it back safely to Pearl.
She is looking at 110 days in the shipyard for repair and upgrades.

Meanwhile, it appears as if the IJN will attempt to invade Canton Island again. Lurking off the coast of Baker Island are what appears to be a small surface TF, the amphib TF, and a smaller CV TF (1-2 CVs).

Waiting at Canton, I have a 2 CV TF, and a larger CA TF than last time. Steaming towards Canton as reinforcement are a 1 CV TF and a 5 BB TF to hopefully mop up the remnants of the IJN.

Feel free to drop by and chat about whatever is on your mind.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 5
RE: Carrier Repair advice - 9/23/2009 5:09:29 PM   
John Lansford

The Allies don't get to "grow" new shipyards anywhere, at any time.  The ones you start with are the ones you have, and they don't get any larger either.  Now the standard pierside repair that's available at every port improves in capability every time the port gets bigger, but you won't "hatch" a new repair shipyard when the port reaches a certain size.

Post #: 6
RE: Carrier Repair advice - 9/23/2009 5:19:14 PM   
Remenents

quote:

ORIGINAL: chijohnaok

USS Yorktown made it back safely to Pearl.
She is looking at 110 days in the shipyard for repair and upgrades.

Meanwhile, it appears as if the IJN will attempt to invade Canton Island again. Lurking off the coast of Baker Island are what appears to be a small surface TF, the amphib TF, and a smaller CV TF (1-2 CVs).

Waiting at Canton, I have a 2 CV TF, and a larger CA TF than last time. Steaming towards Canton as reinforcement are a 1 CV TF and a 5 BB TF to hopefully mop up the remnants of the IJN.

Be warned, as a rule of thumb (and personal experience) do not put more than 1 US CV in a TF until later in the war. I would advise until after what would be Midway (June 4-12 or so). The Allies, until this point, really dont have much "real" experience with large CV TFs. My experience with more than 1 CV in a TF until around this time frame has always been extremely devestating. Read my post "US CVs massacred"...

Avenge the U.S.S. Houston (CA 30)

Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Carrier Repair advice Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI