Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: HOI3

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: HOI3 Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: HOI3 - 9/13/2009 4:49:44 PM   
Obsolete

Hmm, I'll probably wait then to find this in the Bargain Bin.  On the other hand, I wouldn't mind reading the manual etc. before hand to see for myself the working details.  Unfortunately I see the strategy guide is only available for users who have registered their product...  Groan....

And the fact that it takes many months if not years just to build a unit, and the demo only gives you 4 months.... I don't see where the hell Paradox is getting these brainiac ideas from. 

King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 271
RE: HOI3 - 9/13/2009 5:30:20 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: Obsolete

Unfortunately I see the strategy guide is only available for users who have registered their product...  Groan....

The strategy guide is over 29 megabytes too, so it can't be spread around easily.

(in reply to Obsolete)
Post #: 272
RE: HOI3 - 9/14/2009 12:43:26 AM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: LarryP

With being able to turn all the managing to AI, I've been able to learn the game better. I then turned each one off at a time and played with managing each singly myself. I still haven't played with more than two on at a time though. I'm still learning. It is a busy game.

Yep Larry, that's the smart way to go about learning this game-especially if you are not familiar with the previous versions. To try to learn "Politics. Diplomacy, Production, Research while trying to control your forces is a bit much to start with. One or two at a time is a good way to go.

Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 273
RE: HOI3 - 9/14/2009 2:30:50 AM   
bairdlander2

While I realize game is very buggy,but I find it entertaining what bugs me is Paradox is releasing a stand alone HOI2 in a few months.Not an exspansion pack but more or less the best ideas from mods etc over the years and very much improved ai and interface.If I had known I wouldnt have got HOI3 lol

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 274
RE: HOI3 - 9/14/2009 3:21:56 AM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: bairdlander

While I realize game is very buggy,but I find it entertaining what bugs me is Paradox is releasing a stand alone HOI2 in a few months.Not an exspansion pack but more or less the best ideas from mods etc over the years and very much improved ai and interface.If I had known I wouldnt have got HOI3 lol

Just where did you read that?

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to bairdlander2)
Post #: 275
RE: HOI3 - 9/14/2009 3:36:59 AM   
bairdlander2

quote:

ORIGINAL: 06 Maestro

quote:

Just where did you read that?

Paradox forums,the game title is Arsenal of Democracy.Also expands the timeline to include korean conflict.Didnt read all but general idea was the best of ideas from mods etc and realism improvment mods over the years all in one package.

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 276
RE: HOI3 - 9/14/2009 3:55:33 AM   
Arctic Blast

AoD stems from them opening up the code for their earlier titles for development by mod groups, with the idea that anything marketable to come from that could be sold for a low price down the road. There's a second game coming out that's basically a modified EU2 as well.

Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.

Post #: 277
RE: HOI3 - 9/14/2009 3:55:41 AM   
06 Maestro

quote:

Paradox forums,the game title is Arsenal of Democracy....

Ah so-I was looking for something with a HoI title. I recall that a year or two ago there was some talk of opening up the code to a select and restricted group for the purpose of HoI improvements -it looks like it actually came about. I was expecting an add-on.

I will be obligated to buy that one just to compensate those modders that have worked so hard through the years for nothing. I suspect it will be one of the best PI titles ever (not even considering stability/bugs).

Thomas Jefferson

Post #: 278
RE: HOI3 - 9/14/2009 7:32:48 AM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

Hmm, I'll probably wait then to find this in the Bargain Bin.  On the other hand, I wouldn't mind reading the manual etc. before hand to see for myself the working details.  Unfortunately I see the strategy guide is only available for users who have registered their product...  Groan....

And the fact that it takes many months if not years just to build a unit, and the demo only gives you 4 months.... I don't see where the hell Paradox is getting these brainiac ideas from. 

I have no problem with registration for access to the Tech forum or access to documentation. It's their way of trying to prevent theft of their product and in terms of copy protection methods, it's far better than others. I fired up Far Cry 2 last night and was looking for my tin lid as I heard the disk spin up and thought it was incoming!

As for the demo being only 4 months and years to build things...the demo was designed to show you the mechanics. By accessing the screens and starting things off, you saw the mechanics. I don't really see what the beef is.

sheesh......"Why can't Matrix Games give demos?"..."Why is this demo not playing FOREVER"...talk about mixed messages! You got a demo and it shows you the mechanics...what's the problem? Just because you don't see your "tech" come to fruition doesn't mean the demo has failed.

The demo shows you how the game works...unfortunately, the tutorials do not

(in reply to Obsolete)
Post #: 279
RE: HOI3 - 9/14/2009 12:31:54 PM   
Hard Sarge

quote:

Alright, I've been putting off HoI for YEARS now.  I decided to FINALLY give the HoI III demo a trial.  Well, unfortunately, I am totally lost by the tutorial.  Perhaps this was not created for those with no experience?  Second of all, I then find out from others that 4 months is not enough time to even get to use most the options anyhow... so much for the demo.

Then I find out my super-duper new computer LAGGS greatly with this product.  But the fact is.... even if I try to put in an effort here I am just lost.

Looking at this video... I THINK he's hit things right on the head, or am I wrong?  The fact that he found the tutorial useless, and he's a HoI II player doesn't give me much hope.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxwHk92Mj4s

I would have to say, if he played HoI II and can't figured out what to do, he is mentally challaged and shouldn't be playing games

(in reply to Obsolete)
Post #: 280
RE: HOI3 - 9/15/2009 5:09:42 AM   
Rosseau

Hey LarryP,

Looks like I found the HOI3 thread. It should have been me apologizing to Erik instead of you.

Okay, I'm weird, but I just started modding "regional" scenarios knowing I would be initially frustrated with a campaign game. Never yet played with more than 30-40 divisions and it never even occurred to me to use AI HQs. Imagine a beefed up Finland in '44 taking pressure off the Germans. The Finnish front is manageable for me. Or Romania with 35 divisions helping out the Axis at the start of Barbarossa. Completely ahistorical, but fun.

The first thing I did was increase the HQ C&C distances in the "defines" file in Hearts of Iron III\common\
The delay-until-next-combat penalty has never been more than a day or so max, and not aware of any other penalties when controlling units yourself. All I know is it plays smooth, you can flank and envelop, and react when the AI does it to you. I do pause when reading the battle reports though.

I'd be happy to email you the required modded files to swap in there. To be honest, I would be embarrassed to admit how I'm playing the game to those hardcores at the Paradox forum :}

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 281
RE: HOI3 - 9/15/2009 5:43:52 AM   
bairdlander2

quote:

ORIGINAL:
The delay-until-next-combat penalty has never been more than a day or so max,

By researching operational combat techs the penalties are eliminated or greatly reduced.A lot of what is said about the game is true(bugs,etc,) but more of what is being said is false and a lot of reported "bugs" are simply not understanding the game mechanics.One poster recently thought because they couldnt control their production sliders it was a bug.On further investigation turns out player had given ai control and didnt realize it.Lots of posts like that.Should be a lot better with the third patch.No ETA but they are working on it.

< Message edited by bairdlander -- 9/15/2009 5:45:50 AM >

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 282
RE: HOI3 - 9/15/2009 5:52:29 AM   
bairdlander2

quote:

Building units does not take "years".The demo is garbage compared to the actual game with the 1.2 patch.It still has problems mostly a very dim witted ai and crazy weather.Next patch was announced today.No eta,most likely 1 month.There having a difficult time sifting through the bug reports a lot of which are not bugs,but players think they are.

(in reply to Obsolete)
Post #: 283
RE: HOI3 - 9/15/2009 6:48:53 AM   
Rosseau

True bairdlander, plus if you're impatient to have a unit built, go into the text file and change 160 weeks to six weeks. Again, totally unrealistic, but few other games allow this kind of flexibility. Over the past three weeks, I've modded HOI3 into the game I want to play, and had a great time doing it. And I am no expert modder!

Post #: 284
RE: HOI3 - 9/15/2009 7:26:58 AM   
Hertston

Is it possible to be thoroughly bored of a game you've never even played?

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 285
RE: HOI3 - 9/15/2009 8:40:56 AM   
Rosseau

Speaking of boring, that Napoleonic spinoff of CEAW defines the word for me. Not as moddable as advertised and the combat mechanics made the Risk boardgame seem complex. Still, Matrix is the best place to be these days!

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 286
RE: HOI3 - 9/15/2009 10:24:20 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: rosseau

Hey LarryP,

Looks like I found the HOI3 thread. It should have been me apologizing to Erik instead of you.

I posted there too. We both did a no no. I get replies to my postings by email, and when I got that one talking about HOI3, I thought it was from this thread. I clicked the link in the email thinking it went here, and it went to the Operation Barbarossa thread. The older I get the more I make mistakes like that. Getting older stinks.

quote:

ORIGINAL: rosseau
I'd be happy to email you the required modded files to swap in there.

If you want you can PM me, then we can swap emails. However, I'm not playing HOI3 right now, and won't be for a while. I am playing WW2-ToW since the 1.60 patch came out. I have a bad habit of playing too many games at once, and never finishing any. So I am going to play the grand campaign of 450 turns before I can play HOI3. I could be a while... I'm giving it a good try anyhow.

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 287
RE: HOI3 - 9/16/2009 1:55:49 AM   
Rosseau

Smart move on HOI3. By then 1.3 or greater will be out and you will be facing less difficulties. When you are ready, just check out the game's text files and you will figure out yourself what you want to mod.

I am the same, playing several games at once, and a master of none! I am enjoying WW2-ToW as well. Clumsily modded a WWIII scenario and the game system adapted to it amazingly well. Still sometimes have a problem with the naval routines, but probably my ignorance.

When you get back to HOI3, feel free to email me if I can be of any (little) help!

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 288
RE: HOI3 - 9/16/2009 2:14:35 AM   
Obsolete

LOL @ Larry.  I almost replied to your HOI post in the Barbarossa forum as well.

Anyhow, HoI so far hasn't impressed me in the least.  I even tried to make an account over at their forums... just to give them the benefit of a doubt routine, but I can't even post for some silly reason. I don't know what's going on, but with all the locked threads and complaints of deleted posts, I guess it's the KGB running things over there.

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 289
RE: HOI3 - 9/16/2009 2:33:34 AM   
Titanwarrior89

Since the subject of this thread is HOI3. What is the over thought on Supreme ruler 2020. Seems to be close to HOI but in the present day.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to Obsolete)
Post #: 290
RE: HOI3 - 9/16/2009 2:42:57 AM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: Titanwarrior89

Since the subject of this thread is HOI3. What is the over thought on Supreme ruler 2020. Seems to be close to HOI but in the present day.

It's far from being like HOI3 in game type. I like Supreme Ruler 2010 much better. Both are hardcore strategy games with tons of micromanagement. You can play in either real time or turn based.

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 291
RE: HOI3 - 9/16/2009 2:47:01 AM   
LarryP

quote:

LOL @ Larry.  I almost replied to your HOI post in the Barbarossa forum as well.

Anyhow, HoI so far hasn't impressed me in the least.  I even tried to make an account over at their forums... just to give them the benefit of a doubt routine, but I can't even post for some silly reason. I don't know what's going on, but with all the locked threads and complaints of deleted posts, I guess it's the KGB running things over there.

Getting off topic for a few posts is an easy thing to do and I see it all the time. I just got caught.

I have been a member of Paradox forums for years. I see a lot of complaints, some bad enough to deserve a spanking. Then there are others I don't understand why they did not get banned.

HOI3 I think is better than most players know. It takes a lot of time and trying things different. Also another patch would help.

(in reply to Obsolete)
Post #: 292
RE: HOI3 - 9/16/2009 5:56:55 AM   
mllange

Larry,
Have you tried SR 2020 or the expansion? If so, how do they compare to SR 2010? (Which I also enjoyed)

There's a simple answer to every complex question - and it's wrong.
-Umberto Eco

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 293
RE: HOI3 - 9/16/2009 3:00:40 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: nim8or

Larry,
Have you tried SR 2020 or the expansion? If so, how do they compare to SR 2010? (Which I also enjoyed)

I sent you a PM so we are not off topic here.

(in reply to mllange)
Post #: 294
RE: HOI3 - 9/16/2009 10:39:18 PM   
Arctic Blast

quote:

Larry,

Not to keep this too far off topic, but there is actually a demo for SR 2020 Gold out now, nim8or. Worth checking out.

Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.

(in reply to mllange)
Post #: 295
RE: HOI3 - 9/16/2009 11:07:58 PM   
Titanwarrior89

Ive just started playing SR2020 and I am enjoying it. Kind of got me hooked right now.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Arctic Blast

quote:

Larry,

Not to keep this too far off topic, but there is actually a demo for SR 2020 Gold out now, nim8or. Worth checking out.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to Arctic Blast)
Post #: 296
RE: HOI3 - 9/17/2009 12:40:34 AM   
killroyishere

Hoi III is like any other Paradox games. It's not what it should be out of the box and by the time they are finished fixing it it will never be what it was out of the box. If you buy Paradox games upon release you are just giving them money to finish what they should have finished to begin with and you get to join in on all the headaches and frustrations and the same things that comes along with every release of a Paradox developed game. The pattern has been set long ago and it has never changed.

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 297
RE: HOI3 - 9/17/2009 1:05:10 AM   
Rosseau

True, although Paradox is not the only one that releases early. Having dug into the complexity of HOI3, I can forgive them for that.

Credit to Matrix for releasing a similarly complex game like AE with much less issues (I think). Bottom line is that Matrix, Paradox, Ageod and some others are very good with patches and supporting most of their games.

Fact is, I didn't get into HOI1 at all, felt HOI2 was on the ugly side, but am obsessed with HOI3. Maybe it's the modding potential and scope of the simulation. SR2010 and SR2020 Gold are similarly good, but the latter is not quite as easy to mod. Then there's Superpower II. Not good, despite the developers' best intentions.

(in reply to killroyishere)
Post #: 298
RE: HOI3 - 9/17/2009 1:11:54 AM   
Obsolete

Well I still don't know what on earth is going on over at their forums.  First I tried to post some questions over there.  Nope, can't post without an account.

So I go through that process...  nope, still not good, I need to verify account (as though I really need them to know my private e-mail).

So I go through all that... and now I am verified as well.  You'd think that should still entitle me to make a post.  Nope.... apparently I still don't have priviledges for some reason.

This must be a really fancy way to get new customers. 

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 299
RE: HOI3 - 9/17/2009 2:39:33 AM   
Rosseau

I've been there, and it's really annoying.

Forgot what I did to finally get signed up, but it was worth it, as the downloads from some of the modders are key. Be sure to get the "99 Problems" graphics mod, despite the title! AI improvement pack is good too, provided you're into the game.

(in reply to Obsolete)
Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: HOI3 Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI