Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Why so dead around here?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> WW2: Time of Wrath >> Why so dead around here? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Why so dead around here? - 9/17/2009 7:34:56 PM   
willgamer

Somehow I thought lots of people were waiting for the patch.

The patch description lists over 130 changes.

Three days have now passed with the patch little remarked upon.

Where did everybody go?

Rex Lex or Lex Rex?
Post #: 1
RE: Why so dead around here? - 9/17/2009 8:00:00 PM   
gwgardner

busy playing?

I was expecting to see some bug reports at least.

As a playtester, I have done a lot of that in the dev forum.

I absolutely love the new features, especially the revised mechanics for air operations, and the addition of more and better reports.

(in reply to willgamer)
Post #: 2
RE: Why so dead around here? - 9/17/2009 8:27:35 PM   
H. Hoth

I am enjoying the game.  The AI is greatly improved.  I am playing the with "sprites" on, and it is Jan 1942 and just right outside of Moscow, but my forces are thin and spread out....waiting for the Soviet winter offensive.

"in the absence of orders, go find something and kill it"
Generaloberst E. Rommel

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 3
RE: Why so dead around here? - 9/17/2009 11:47:30 PM   
gwgardner

screenshots! and AAR! your public demands it.

(in reply to H. Hoth)
Post #: 4
RE: Why so dead around here? - 9/18/2009 12:21:29 AM   
oldspec4

quote:

ORIGINAL: willgamer

Where did everybody go?

Still here but RL has interfered w/ my gametime

Based on my limited play, I really like what I see of the new patch additions. Great fun playing the Russians in the Grand Campaign.

Some very minor niggles...one CTD in 50+ turns, my video card seems to be running warm again, and counter numbers are hard to see when scrolled out.

(in reply to willgamer)
Post #: 5
RE: Why so dead around here? - 9/18/2009 2:11:18 AM   
H. Hoth

quote:

ORIGINAL: gwgardner

screenshots! and AAR! your public demands it.

I would like to, but I don't know how to capture the screen shot? , In this game without telling me, the Italians invaded England with 6 div, and wiithin two turns they are gone!.

Generaloberst E. Rommel

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 6
RE: Why so dead around here? - 9/18/2009 2:32:12 AM   
Flaviusx

I've been playing a Grand Campaign as the Soviets and am up to Oct 1942.

The AI is greatly improved and building more ground forces than before. The Wehrmacht I'm fighting is noticeably stronger and tougher. The new air game is interesting, but has one annoying bug: fighters cannot be repaired past level 5. At half strength they become mostly ineffective and I'm having to simply disband them at that point and purchase brand new fighters at full 10 point strength. I have to assume this is a bug and not intended. It doesn't happen for tac air or strat bombers, only fighter units.

Aircraft ranges start low and go up significantly with tech, which I like. You have to be somewhat careful now about placing them. At around tech level 3 they get ranges similar to what we see on 1.51.

I very much like the restrictions on paratroop range. They were a bit too good before.

The economic model of the game is also much better -- the Sovs start off slowly and take a while to build up, which is important in a grand campaign context. Production points are scarce early on for the Soviets. The Bolshevik industrialization event is interesting, too. Abuse it too much, and your national moral plummets. Ignore it altogether, and the economy won't grow enough before the Germans invade. You will not be sitting on a pile of thousands of production points and a large army in the pre 1941 period, you actually have to think hard about how to spend the PPs.

In my game the Germans were strangely slow in conquering Poland; took them until December of 1939, they had Warsaw surrounded for months.

The German AI still has a tendency to invade in the mud months of 1941 (while being engaged in Yugoslavia, to boot.) This is kind of a waste insofar as it fails to properly take advantage of Soviet disorganization. It would be much more dangerous if it waited for clear weather -- as they did in real life.

Another bug: reinforcements from prior turns in the deployment pool cannot be accessed in subsequent turns unless you build a new unit manually in the turn you are playing. The game grays out the deployment button for some reason even with old units in the pool. Not a serious problem, but still.

(in reply to H. Hoth)
Post #: 7
RE: Why so dead around here? - 9/18/2009 2:37:39 AM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: oldspec4

Some very minor niggles...one CTD in 50+ turns, my video card seems to be running warm again, and counter numbers are hard to see when scrolled out.

Oldspec4:
The other night when I installed the patch, my laptop after 30 minutes got hot again like it used to before I fixed it. The patch must have overwritten a file that I changed. I changed it back and now I can play for hours and it stays cool as if the game was not running! This is a post from Kurak that fixed this for me, and you might remember it because you posted right after this one:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kurak
Try this: open file fpslimit.txt (with Notepad) from the game's installation directory, remove it's content and insert "30" (only the number, without quotation marks), save and close file and then run the game.

Here is the link to this post, and it's #36: Game makes laptop HOT!

I went down to 25 instead of 30. Stays cooler. This number sets the maximum FPS, but setting this to zero tells the game to run it full bore. No FPS limit.

I hope this helps. It sure did help me. Thanks to Kurak.

(in reply to oldspec4)
Post #: 8
RE: Why so dead around here? - 9/18/2009 2:40:28 AM   
oldspec4

Thank you sir...I will try this fix ASAP.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 9
RE: Why so dead around here? - 9/18/2009 2:48:20 AM   
Bleck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flaviusx
The new air game is interesting, but has one annoying bug: fighters cannot be repaired past level 5. At half strength they become mostly ineffective and I'm having to simply disband them at that point and purchase brand new fighters at full 10 point strength. I have to assume this is a bug and not intended.

It will be fixed in official 1.60 patch.

quote:

Another bug: reinforcements from prior turns in the deployment pool cannot be accessed in subsequent turns unless you build a new unit manually in the turn you are playing.

Will investigate and hopefully also fix for official patch.

Wastelands Interactive member (Programmer)

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 10
RE: Why so dead around here? - 9/18/2009 6:33:54 AM   
cpdeyoung

There is a bug report on the deployment button issue from the beta testing.

0001174, assigned.

Chuck

(in reply to Bleck)
Post #: 11
RE: Why so dead around here? - 9/18/2009 10:39:24 AM   
Magpius

been busy modding it. now comes playing it.
(and tweaking some more!!)
-love this game.
looking forward to the new AAR's

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 12
RE: Why so dead around here? - 9/18/2009 7:40:39 PM   
Flaviusx

Bleck, thanks for the quick response.

Another thing that's long annoyed me, not a bug, but in terms of historical flavor: the Soviet leadership ratings seem to me wildly off.

For example, Voroshilov, an incompetent crony of Stalin's, might rate a two on a warm day with a breeze at his back; the game considers him a 5. Nor does Budenny merit a 6, unless it's for his mustache. The we have leaders like Vatutin and Zhukov rating a 3, which is simply baffling; these guys surely belong somewhere near Rokossovsky's 7.

This doesn't make any difference in terms of gameplay, to be sure, but it's disconcerting for us Soviet military history buffs.

(in reply to Magpius)
Post #: 13
RE: Why so dead around here? - 9/19/2009 2:58:37 AM   
H. Hoth

quote:

Another thing that's long annoyed me, not a bug, but in terms of historical flavor: the Soviet leadership ratings seem to me wildly off.

For example, Voroshilov, an incompetent crony of Stalin's, might rate a two on a warm day with a breeze at his back; the game considers him a 5. Nor does Budenny merit a 6, unless it's for his mustache. The we have leaders like Vatutin and Zhukov rating a 3, which is simply baffling; these guys surely belong somewhere near Rokossovsky's 7.

This doesn't make any difference in terms of gameplay, to be sure, but it's disconcerting for us Soviet military history buffs.

Yes I agree, I changed Zhukov to a 9, he was by far the best Russian general. I also added H. Hoth one of Germany's best tank commanders of WW2.

Generaloberst E. Rommel

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 14
RE: Why so dead around here? - 9/19/2009 3:05:16 AM   
H. Hoth

quote:

It makes all the difference, the higher the number the better the units do, A leader with a 7,8,9 with exp of 10++ can turn a tank corps into uber tank corps.

Generaloberst E. Rommel

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 15
RE: Why so dead around here? - 9/19/2009 4:44:09 AM   
Flaviusx

Nah, for game purposes it doesn't matter much because you could just swap Vatutin and Zhukov's rating with those of Voroshilov and Budenny, and get the same basic result. I'm just irked by the sheer ahistoricity of the ratings themselves with the commanders in question. The gave the good ratings to civil war relics and Stalinist cronies and severely underrated most of the good new commanders of the second world war. (Except Rokossovsky, who is doubtfully Polish...)

(in reply to H. Hoth)
Post #: 16
RE: Why so dead around here? - 9/19/2009 12:40:01 PM   
H. Hoth

quote:

Nah, for game purposes it doesn't matter much because you could just swap Vatutin and Zhukov's rating with those of Voroshilov and Budenny, and get the same basic result. I'm just irked by the sheer ahistoricity of the ratings themselves with the commanders in question. The gave the good ratings to civil war relics and Stalinist cronies and severely underrated most of the good new commanders of the second world war. (Except Rokossovsky, who is doubtfully Polish...)

From what I see in the game a commander who is 2-6 will give a div/corps a +1 advant. (in size of a unit)a commander with a number of 7-9 a +2 advant. When they gain exp, it goes even higher. Leaders are very important, and that is why I changed the numbers of most leaders.

Generaloberst E. Rommel

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 17
RE: Why so dead around here? - 9/19/2009 2:12:53 PM   
Michael the Pole

quote:

ORIGINAL: H. Hoth

quote:

From what I see in the game a commander who is 2-6 will give a div/corps a +1 advant. (in size of a unit)a commander with a number of 7-9 a +2 advant. When they gain exp, it goes even higher. Leaders are very important, and that is why I changed the numbers of most leaders.

Like everything else, opinions are subjective. Rather than blind denunciations, why don't ya'll publish your commander files on the modding board so we can actually evaluate what you think.

"One scoundrel is a disgrace, two is a law-firm, and three or more is a Congress." B. Franklin

Mike

A tribute to my heroes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fRU2tlE5m8

(in reply to H. Hoth)
Post #: 18
RE: Why so dead around here? - 9/19/2009 4:26:05 PM   
Flaviusx

I'm having a difficult time understanding anybody who genuinely believes that Zhukov is a 3, and Voroshilov a 5. Voroshilov better than Zhukov? C'mon. Budenny equal to Konev at 6? Some opinions just don't pass the laugh test.

(in reply to Michael the Pole)
Post #: 19
RE: Why so dead around here? - 9/19/2009 5:05:33 PM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: willgamer

Where did everybody go?

Hey Will I cant answer for others but I personally do not like Beta's, I will wait for the official patch before I download anything, by reading some posts I am glad I didn't.

Bo

(in reply to willgamer)
Post #: 20
RE: Why so dead around here? - 9/19/2009 6:58:28 PM   
gwgardner

You're making a mistake not to get 1.6. It is like 100% better than 1.5.

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 21
RE: Why so dead around here? - 9/19/2009 7:20:25 PM   
bo

quote:

You're making a mistake not to get 1.6. It is like 100% better than 1.5.

Hey GW I do not doubt for one second what you are saying and as soon as the official patch comes out I will, didn't I read that if you have a saved game and you download the new patch that the saved game won't work?

Bo

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 22
RE: Why so dead around here? - 9/20/2009 12:26:37 AM   
H. Hoth

quote:

ORIGINAL: Michael the Pole

quote:

ORIGINAL: H. Hoth

quote:

Like everything else, opinions are subjective. Rather than blind denunciations, why don't ya'll publish your commander files on the modding board so we can actually evaluate what you think.

Or you could just play the game and see for yourself. Blind denunciations, wow thats good. Do you think before you write, or write then think. You seem one minded, dull and to wit, Ignorant.

Generaloberst E. Rommel

(in reply to Michael the Pole)
Post #: 23
RE: Why so dead around here? - 9/20/2009 10:36:22 AM   
Anraz

To discuss Russian commanders rating is like to open  a can of warm.

Some of those who lived behind the iron curtain, and I hope some who lived on the other side of it,   known how huge was  (and still is) difference between propaganda (which so common and unfortunately is perceived as "historic") image  and the truth (yeah, the real historic!) image of this isolated red realm.

For example if we consider a division led by Zhukov and average American, British or German leader I assure you no matter what task  is to perform Zhukov's division would fall as first, because there was no skill in his "genius" just blind human wave approach which led to monstrous losses among solders. Moreover most of other soviet generals were more or less of the same quality (probably Rokosvsky's skill is too high). So why should he have bigger skill then generals in other nations who can use subjected units and owned military resources in a better way? [Also it worth remembering we have the same kind of units on both side of front.]

Finally if anyone asked me what were are two biggest hoaxes connected with ww2 which still deceive people I would answer: myth of T-34 and Zhukov'v skills. Even though I'm not sure which one is bigger...

Most probably I will be too busy making the third project to participate actively if a discussion arise, so consider this post not only as developer's Sunday reflections, but as "official "words written in order to let you know the reasons for such ratings.

Anyway we have democracy (haven't we? :)) and anyone can have his own view on the matter... so the game allows players to mod easily those ratings, so every gamer can set his own values. This the best way to satisfy everyone :)

(in reply to H. Hoth)
Post #: 24
RE: Why so dead around here? - 9/20/2009 12:32:36 PM   
Flaviusx

Anraz, even if you consider Zhukov's reputation overinflated, it's difficult to understand how he is worse than a Budenny or the especially egregious Voroshilov. (Who couldn't even manage to get anything out of human wave attacks, see Finland 1940.)

If Zhukov is a 3, they ought to be twos and ones. Not a 5 or 6.

Some of these guys contrived to get better results out of human wave attacks than others. Besides that, Zhukov perfectly understood the importance of maneuver and flanking schemes, as demonstrated in Kalhkin Gol in 1939, Moscow in 1941, and Stalingrad in 1942 (which he coauthored with Vasilevsky.) It is true that Zhukov, like virtually all Russian commanders, tended to fall back to mere mass with poor results as in Berlin 1945, and the Rzhev salient in 1942, but he ought to be judged on the entire record.

Rokossovsky's rating is perfectly fine, he was an excellent front commander. He was, indeed, among the relatively few Soviet commanders who didn't favor the mass approach and actually cared about his own casualties.

Nor would I rate the commanders in the game based on divisional leadership; I look at them as Army/Front commanders.  

But if the this is the developer's final stance on the matter, so be it. I will modify the ratings for myself based on the weight of historical opinion.

(in reply to Anraz)
Post #: 25
RE: Why so dead around here? - 9/20/2009 12:41:38 PM   
Severian

Flaviusx - soviet generals topic is very hard and unclear to understand. For nearly 70 years leaders like Zhukov or Vatutin are described as billiant generals comparable to Patton or Alexander. It's not true. Soviet strategic and tactical skills in World War 2 was poor. Really. Winter War against Finland was first stage of Red Army incompetence. Because of lack of leaders skills whole divisions were preparing frontal attacks against bunkers even without winter uniforms. It was complete disaster - over 120.000 dead soldiers, over 2200 destroyed tanks and 500 aircraft inf war with small country. You can say - and what? Later they were winning almoste everywhere but you know how cost of life? One day of soviet offensive took more than whole Overlord landing in Normandy. Every offensive when Overlord was only once. The main tactic of soviet generals was human wave - push as much soldier as we can and if they pass first line, send then tanks to make breaktrough deeper. So admired Zhukov lost over 2000 tanks when he was advancing to Berlin becuse he doesn't want to be second in the city. Soviet Union lost 12.500.000 dead soldiers. A half of total killed soldiers of every country involved in World War Two.

Why Voroshilov or Budenny were experienced in russian civil war when they had many big units under they command. Only one younger commander had comparable units in fight before WW2 - Zhukov in Khalkhyn Gol which isn't so clearly russian victory as we suppose. So only few soviet generals had enough experience to command fronts.

War, war never changes... but are you sure? Bitter Glory

Put an apple in your mouth, we'll play Wilhelm Tell - "Hawkeye" Pierce to Frank Burns

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 26
RE: Why so dead around here? - 9/20/2009 2:26:04 PM   
Anraz

quote:

Moscow in 1941, and Stalingrad in 1942

Are 100% you sure those two were pure Zhukov achievement not laurels stolen post factum form other soviet commanders?

< Message edited by Anraz -- 9/20/2009 2:53:08 PM >

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 27
RE: Why so dead around here? - 9/20/2009 4:40:45 PM   
gwgardner

quote:

H.Hoth

Or you could just play the game and see for yourself. Blind denunciations, wow thats good. Do you think before you write, or write then think. You seem one minded, dull and to wit, Ignorant.

... and Miss Congeniality strikes again.

< Message edited by gwgardner -- 9/20/2009 4:42:45 PM >

(in reply to H. Hoth)
Post #: 28
RE: Why so dead around here? - 9/20/2009 4:47:22 PM   
Flaviusx

Well, the Stalingrad operation was planned by Zhukov and Vasilevsky, although Zhukov didn't execute it. At the time the Stalingrad offensive actually went down, Zhukov ran Operation Mars up north to clear out the Rzhev/Vyazma salient as a companion offensive. It was a total fiasco, not one of his finer moments. Nevertheless, he was clearly one of the minds behind the Stalingrad concept.

The Moscow counteroffensive was of course not solely a Zhukov show, but his Western front was the largest one involved.

Severian, the thing you need to understand about the Finnish War is: the theater was being run by Voroshilov when it started. This is the guy who the game considers better than Zhukov. He completely bungled the assignment and had to be replaced by Timoshenko. Nor did Voroshilov do any better running the Northwestern theater later on against the Germans in 1941. He was eventually replaced there by Zhukov, barely in time to stop the drive on Leningrad, but not before the city got cut off and blockaded.

By 1942 he was more or less kicked upstairs and removed from any further field commands. The guy was just a total incompetent and never managed to do anything right on the field, but was protected from his failures of command by his close ties to Stalin, which went back to the Civil War days. Much the same can be said about Budenny, although Budenny wasn't a total booby at least, and had once been a highly effective cavalry commander. But by the 1940s he was a fossil and ineffective.

(in reply to Anraz)
Post #: 29
RE: Why so dead around here? - 9/20/2009 5:34:28 PM   
H. Hoth

quote:

quote:

H.Hoth

... and Miss Congeniality strikes again.
Is that your best? You seem to be a one trick pony.

Generaloberst E. Rommel

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> WW2: Time of Wrath >> Why so dead around here? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI