Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/18/2009 1:15:15 AM   
Jeffrey H.

Better yet, maybe it, (the Russian armada) will will enter Istanbul and then Istanbul will be captured by the Turks !

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to Joshuatree)
Post #: 121
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/18/2009 9:45:14 PM   
HamburgerHill

Here is a shot of the Turkish front after I have finished my turn for just the SAG. I haven't played the other fronts yet so you can see how much damage I was able to inflict on the Turks.

I conducted a counterattack against the Turks in an effort to reduce there offensive capabilities in hopes that they will not be able to break my lines. I have to buy more time to hopefully let them get more of there land forces across the river and into the kill zone. I would be helpfull if the Russians would clear out and let them through up around Istanbul.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by HamburgerHill -- 9/18/2009 9:47:47 PM >

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 122
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/18/2009 9:48:38 PM   
HamburgerHill

I fired some of my artillery at the Super fleet of Soviet Battleships.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to HamburgerHill)
Post #: 123
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/18/2009 10:09:56 PM   
HamburgerHill

On the Western front the WAG was able to take Venice. French forces around Munich are still a force to be reconed with.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 124
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/18/2009 10:14:52 PM   
HamburgerHill

Prague is taken after heavy fighting!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 125
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/18/2009 10:51:45 PM   
HamburgerHill

Production for round 22.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 126
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/18/2009 11:53:22 PM   
HamburgerHill

Here is the situation map at the end of round 22

Attachment (1)

Post #: 127
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/19/2009 12:14:16 AM   
HamburgerHill

More coming soon.

The AI's turn going into round 23 was very active. I will assemble the highlights and post them later tonight.

Preview:  A massive air battle takes place in the North between Balkin and Scandanavian forces followed by a large counteroffensive on the ground and Turkish forces poor across the the newly repaired bridges. Two great battles in particular take place where Balkin forces fight a desperate and heroic ight.

Post #: 128
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/19/2009 12:24:49 AM   
Barthheart

Russia should fall part soon as it looks like the Swedes have Moscow.

Beware the Sewedes!!

And the Spainish!!!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

Post #: 129
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/19/2009 9:31:47 PM   
HamburgerHill

Balkin forces in the South distinguish themselves in battle against an overwhelming Turkish assualt.

Unit citations were given to the 104th and 105th anti-armor Corps and the 26th Infantry Corps for bravery and Valor under fire.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 130
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/19/2009 9:41:35 PM   
HamburgerHill

Massive Air battle takes place over Northern front with Scandanavian air assets.

General Bonehead has issued a request to the Balkin joint chiefs to have the Commander of Northern air Forces replaced. General Bonehead feels that Balkin fighters have not been able to properly protect his forces on the ground from Scandanavian divebombers. Chairman of the joint chiefs "General Know-it-all" is taking his request under advisement.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 131
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/19/2009 10:05:30 PM   
HamburgerHill

A terrible day for the NAG in Prague.

2 Corps stand and fight for the City under relentless assault by the Scandanavians.
Only a few dozen men from the 66th Infantry Corps escape to survive and the Second Infantry Corps commanded By "Colonel George Armstrong Custer" stays and fights with bravery down to the last man.

Medals of Valor have been awarded to many brave Balkin soldiers posthumously.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 132
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/19/2009 10:07:02 PM   
HamburgerHill

Here are the total losses taken during the AI turn.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 133
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/20/2009 11:50:34 AM   
british exil

HH you seem to have too few SMG's for city fighting. If I understand the SFT's correct then thr rifle is better for plains and "normal" fighting, whereas the SMG is better for woods and urban fighting. Rifles do not fight as well in close quarters as compared to the SMG.

Maybe that might help you in your NAG. EAG will need the rifles as they advance in the vast Russian steppes.
But NAG have a lot of urban fighting ahead of them, retaking the cities where so many Balkan troops sacrificed themselves.

You seem to be doing quite well in your air war. Shooting down over a quarter of Scandinavia's fighters in their last attack.

Really enjoying your AAR. Keep up the hard work mate, as you have a lot of people following your campaigns.

"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

Post #: 134
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/20/2009 7:55:29 PM   
Joshuatree

You're spot on Exile! I missed that one, but Hamburger has far too few sMG's to defend the city. In cities, woods, bunkers and ... hills I think, they are 50% more effective. For city defence or the capturing of a town I create special sMG units, 30-40 sMG's and some AT or Mortars (yes Mortars are better but sometimes an AT gun is nice to have too for defence. Combined with a staff, and avoiding crowding penalties, you have the best available defence possible. If you create a HQ in that town you can always "deliver" the things you produce so to speak. Because when the town is cut off, so is the production line to your Supreme HQ cut off. It's still being produced... but doesn't arrive at your HQ... untill supply lines are open again.
And your Fighter defence is okay. The AI will attack without mercy, but only the first few attacks are hurting you. After you shot down a few Fighters/Bombers a couple of turns his Bombers will decrease their efficiency, read suffer from low readiness and experience. So keep your Fighter force intact, because if you loose that one you'll be history. Some Flak would be nice too though :-)

(in reply to british exil)
Post #: 135
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/22/2009 5:16:03 AM   
HamburgerHill

Thanx for the advice guys.

I actually did have a lot of SMG's serving in the NAG towards the begining of the scenario. I started out the scenario with something like 300 SMG subformations, nearly all of which were sent to the North to fight in the HEAVY forest. They were fazed out with rifles as I was looking ahead at the terrean in southern Germany. Although I probably should have built some for taking Prague I wasn't to concerned about leaving rifle to defend Prague as they have the same defense modifier as SMG's. It is on attack that the SMG has an advantage in urban.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Joshuatree)
Post #: 136
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/22/2009 5:30:18 AM   
HamburgerHill

Here is the situation map at the start of round 23.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 137
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/22/2009 6:02:49 AM   
HamburgerHill

After very heavy Naval bombardment Balkin marines were able to take Istanbul. Gallipoli was taken without a fight as the Turks left it empty.

Now the rest of the SAG will go on the attack and hopefully the 2 units on Istanbul and Gallipoli are able to hold there ground.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 138
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/22/2009 6:27:18 AM   
HamburgerHill

Alright. I begin to close the vice.

I have to admit, I'm a little nervous about what the AI is going to do on his turn.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 139
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/22/2009 8:44:27 AM   
HamburgerHill

Here's the situation at the end of round 23

Attachment (1)

Post #: 140
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/22/2009 3:15:58 PM   
Joshuatree

You're right, it's only in the attack that they an advantage.
Excellent the way you sprang the trap. Now hopefully those lone units will hold out the next turn.... After that the Turkish units will start to lose their supply and readiness...

Post #: 141
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/22/2009 4:12:22 PM   
HamburgerHill

LOL.

(in reply to Joshuatree)
Post #: 142
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/22/2009 4:15:59 PM   
HamburgerHill

A Soviet fleet attacks. Thank God it wasn't the one with 72 Battleship II's

I have some very large formations of submarines that will be dispatched to the black sea soon to deal with all those Russian BB's

Attachment (1)

Post #: 143
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/22/2009 4:29:05 PM   
HamburgerHill

Gallipoli Falls!

But Istanbul holds out.

I think I'm still ok thought. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks as though AT does it's supply check at the beginning of the turn. If that is the case then I have til the end of this turn to break through the Turkish lines and recapture Gallipoli to cut the Turkish supplies for another turn.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 144
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/22/2009 4:34:07 PM   
HamburgerHill

Other attacks that took place in the South.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 145
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/22/2009 4:43:14 PM   
HamburgerHill

Situation at start of round 24.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 146
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/23/2009 4:19:35 AM   
Jeffrey H.

Boy, that attack is not going to be a slam dunk if you can't cut them off @ Gallipoli. It doesn't look like you've got much to follow up with either....

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

Post #: 147
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/23/2009 7:23:29 AM   
springer

The battle of Gallipoli is a nice sideshow to see how playing against the weakness of the AI engine works. I think HH will be able to break up the Turkish forces. The question for me is whether the payoff is worth the build up. Will this open up the road to Ankara. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Though the Dardanelles is interesting, I think the key to the game- gaining production- is currently elsewhere.

In my opinion, the critical midgame action is HH's strategy of grabbing up the cities that are easy pickings from the dying powers (France, Italy, and Germany Russia). It'll make the final showdown that much easier.

I'm particularly interested in how things will go in Italy. With that power's final gasps, looks like Rome could be on the menu if the Balkans can seal off the peninsula before the Spanish get there. This could be a major boost to the war effort.

The war with the Swedes is also interesting. Prague seems to be serving as the Swede's aerial Verdun, as Joshuatree noted. Casualties may be high, but with HH's favorable 4 to 1 aerial kill ratio, it's clear that the skies will be filled with HH's aces and the ground with the wreckage of the AI's rookies.

The path to glory continues!

< Message edited by springer -- 9/23/2009 7:48:55 AM >

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 148
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/23/2009 3:18:29 PM   
Joshuatree

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

Boy, that attack is not going to be a slam dunk if you can't cut them off @ Gallipoli. It doesn't look like you've got much to follow up with either....

Oh my, I failed to notice the bridge that still survives... that way the Turks are still being supplied. Any volunteers to take that bridge out? For the Fatherland?

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 149
RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ - 9/23/2009 6:26:11 PM   
HamburgerHill

quote:

ORIGINAL: springer

In my opinion, the critical midgame action is HH's strategy of grabbing up the cities that are easy pickings from the dying powers (France, Italy, and Germany Russia). It'll make the final showdown that much easier.

I'm particularly interested in how things will go in Italy. With that power's final gasps, looks like Rome could be on the menu if the Balkans can seal off the peninsula before the Spanish get there. This could be a major boost to the war effort.

Yes, Rome has begun to look like a tasty morsal. Munich will soon fall I hope and then if I can seal off Northern Italy as you have mentioned and Rome will be on the menu for sure.
Italy has been of increasing interest to me lately as I have already taken Venice and soon can possibly add Munich and Rome. There is a lot of potential to increase my production with Italian cities.
My biggest concern with Italy is just how powerful the Spanish may be. Will I have to face another massive Air force like the Scandanavians?...
I have already ramped up my fighter production to 24 subformations a turn expecting an increase in air battles in the North.

(in reply to springer)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: European Diplomacy v2 AI+ Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI