Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Gettysburg games

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> John Tiller's Battleground Series >> Gettysburg games Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Gettysburg games - 9/23/2009 4:53:11 AM   
paplan

I'm looking for a Gettysburg game that most closely matches the old SSI "Gettysburg, the turning point".
Candidates that I can tell are:
1) Matrix Tiller series
2) HPS Tiller series
3) Sid Meiers Gettysburg
4) Mods for Take Command

What about Forge of Freedom? Does that have a Gettysburg tactical only map?

Others?

Open for all opinions.
Post #: 1
RE: Gettysburg games - 9/23/2009 6:35:38 PM   
cressy

take a look at this http://norbsoftware.com

< Message edited by AJRuss -- 9/23/2009 6:38:00 PM >

(in reply to paplan)
Post #: 2
RE: Gettysburg games - 9/24/2009 5:37:57 PM   
wiz_of_oz2006

If you are looking for something more like the ole SSI Gettysburg, you can't go wrong with the Matrix Battleground ACW or the HPS Gettysburg title. The HPS and Battleground are very similiar with better graphics for the Matrix BG, but I think you get more for your money with the Matrix BG series. The Matrix series also includes Antietam, Bull Run, Chickamauga, and Shiloh with Gettysburg, so it gives you a great collection of battles right off the bat. The units are primarily regiments, it is turned based with each turn 20 minutes of time, and hexes are about 125 yards. So, it is pretty close to scale of SSI Gettysburg. The A/I isn't very good though, you'll be disappointed there compared to SSI. PBEM is really the best way to enjoy the game, you get tired of beating up the A/I pretty quick.

Sid Meiers Gettysburg is a real time game with good graphics that has way too much going on to control effectively. I'm not a fan of the real time genre, so maybe I'm too biased. Take Command seems to fall along the same as Sid Meiers Gettysburg but I haven't actually played it. Both seem to be more action or "shooter" oriented. If you are looking for a grand tactical turn based Gettysburg game then look at the Matrix BG or HPS.

(in reply to paplan)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> John Tiller's Battleground Series >> Gettysburg games Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI