Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

sluggish performance (even with tips from sticky enabled)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich >> Tech Support >> sluggish performance (even with tips from sticky enabled) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
sluggish performance (even with tips from sticky enabled) - 9/24/2009 4:49:53 AM   
jspec

hi all -

I'm having very bad performance with the game - sluggish side-to-side/up-down map movements, at least 1, sometimes 2 seconds going by after each mouse click before the 'click' is registered; zooming in and out of the map has a long delay as well.

I read the sticky regarding slow performance, I have tried setting the game priority to high and setting affinity to just one of my two cores, but things are still way to slow. I haven't even 'officially' started a mission to know what setting 'show night' to off does, but I've set it to off too.

I've been watching the games progress for a while and was really looking forward to learning it, the way it's playing now there's no way I could see continuing with it without going crazy.

Hoping I could get some assistance, or maybe this can be taken care of in the near future with a patch or something? Seems like the problem was known about (to some extent at least) from reading the sticky.

My system is winXP sp2 with a core2duo e8600, 4 gigs of ram, geforce gtx 285. Mostly play flight sims so things on my computer are pretty up to date (of course there could be something I didn't think of that's out of date or what have you.)

Thanks very much -

< Message edited by jspec01 -- 9/24/2009 4:51:37 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: sluggish performance (even with tips from sticky en... - 9/24/2009 4:58:02 AM   
harley

Show night has been in the game since the original, all it does is dim the screen during the night phase, which causes a big drain on the processor. I thought I had this defaulted to OFF... Changing this under "options" will help your scrolling speeds.

The other one Ron kinda mentiones was "Highlight Target Damage", which is the crosshairs icon on the right of the screen. Turn this off to make it speed up a bit.

I had our other programmer working on the highlight issues, I'm not sure where he's up to at present.

gigiddy gigiddy gig-i-ddy

(in reply to jspec)
Post #: 2
RE: sluggish performance (even with tips from sticky en... - 9/24/2009 5:48:09 AM   
jspec

hi harley, thanks for writing back -

I did have 'show night' set to off, what I meant by not knowing what good it would do was that I had barely started a game so I wasn't sure it was 'in effect' yet.

I mean, all I have done so far literary is install the game, start the recommended one day campaign, and try to get a feel for the buttons, moving around, zooming in/out - basically just "checking the game out". While doing so I noticed the very slow performance on my system. There's no way I could actually play for a stretch with the way it is preforming right now - the delay when pressing any button, the way the map inches along, the delay when zooming in/out.

Thanks again for writing -

< Message edited by jspec01 -- 9/24/2009 5:49:39 AM >

(in reply to harley)
Post #: 3
RE: sluggish performance (even with tips from sticky en... - 9/24/2009 12:57:16 PM   
Erik Rutins

Out of curiosity, can you please give this a try:

Start -> Run -> Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.
On the Display tab, once it starts, next to "DirectDraw Acceleration" click "Disable"

Exit and start up the game, does that make any difference for you?

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to jspec)
Post #: 4
RE: sluggish performance (even with tips from sticky en... - 9/24/2009 4:54:26 PM   
mr.plastic

I was having exactly the same problem as jspec01 (got win xp 32 sp3, E6600, GTX 260, 3 GB RAM). I tried that dxdiag thingy and it works! The game was crawling like a dying mule and now it runs like stalion! You have my deepest thanks, Sir.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 5
RE: sluggish performance (even with tips from sticky en... - 9/24/2009 5:21:57 PM   
Erik Rutins

No problem, we know what causes this and we'll work to implement the fix in the game itself rather than using this work around.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to mr.plastic)
Post #: 6
RE: sluggish performance (even with tips from sticky en... - 9/24/2009 5:27:51 PM   
Hard Sarge

hmmm, that is odd, they speeded mine up also, but I got graphic glitches now, but it is running game fine, with everything turned on

(don't work too well in the forum)

(in reply to mr.plastic)
Post #: 7
RE: sluggish performance (even with tips from sticky en... - 9/24/2009 6:13:57 PM   
alfredtc

I having the same slow performance problem. Also the hour glass on the mouse pointer never go away.
I am running Vista with 4GB ram, 3Ghz Core 2 Duo CPU.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 8
RE: sluggish performance (even with tips from sticky en... - 9/24/2009 6:15:37 PM   
jspec

thanks guys, I'll try the disabling DirectDraw trick when I get home from work tonight and post back with the results.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 9
RE: sluggish performance (even with tips from sticky en... - 9/24/2009 6:22:18 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: alfredtc
I having the same slow performance problem. Also the hour glass on the mouse pointer never go away.
I am running Vista with 4GB ram, 3Ghz Core 2 Duo CPU.

Have you tried the affinity and DirectDraw work-arounds?

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to alfredtc)
Post #: 10
RE: sluggish performance (even with tips from sticky en... - 9/24/2009 8:08:53 PM   
mikkey

thanks Erik, disabling DirectDraw Acceleration helped me!

Post #: 11
RE: sluggish performance (even with tips from sticky en... - 9/25/2009 12:09:15 AM   
jspec

Disabling directdraw worked as advertised, game is very responsive now (almost too responsive, moving the map around with mouse cursor if you're zoomed in can get pretty exciting!)

Thanks for the help, looking forward to an update to the game that takes care of it internally.

(in reply to mikkey)
Post #: 12
RE: sluggish performance (even with tips from sticky en... - 9/25/2009 4:46:58 AM   
alfredtc

Disable the DDraw work fine on by XP machine, but I can't find a way to disable it on my Vista laptop.
The hour glass still there. Tks for help.

< Message edited by alfredtc -- 9/25/2009 4:49:31 AM >

Post #: 13
RE: sluggish performance (even with tips from sticky en... - 9/25/2009 10:20:39 AM   
anthonykevinluke

Evening all and greetings Erik,

I have left WITP-AE for a while to download this old/new favourite. I am also having the slow reaction time and the hour glass symbol remaining beside the mouse pointer. Are both these issues being addressed in the patch?

Regards,

Tony

< Message edited by tony luke -- 9/25/2009 10:23:14 AM >

(in reply to alfredtc)
Post #: 14
RE: sluggish performance (even with tips from sticky en... - 9/25/2009 12:32:31 PM   
LeeChard

I have similar problems.
I have a fast computer using Intel Quad-core running vista
Saving the game got rid of the load circle(hourglass on xp) and mouseclicks became nicely responsive.
Sidescrolling is still extremely sensative.
I have no sound after the start screen.
This is based on playing the tutorial.
Neither of these problems are gamestoppers for me.
Hopefully the sidscroll can be tamed down in the first patch but as I understand it making games whose engines were designed for old OS's run smoothly is not as simple as it sounds.

(in reply to jspec)
Post #: 15
RE: sluggish performance (even with tips from sticky en... - 9/25/2009 1:23:19 PM   
Hard Sarge

quote:

Disable the DDraw work fine on by XP machine, but I can't find a way to disable it on my Vista laptop.

the hour glass does not mean anything, you can go to the save screen, save the game and the hour glass will go away, that is on the list for the first patch

(in reply to alfredtc)
Post #: 16
RE: sluggish performance (even with tips from sticky en... - 9/25/2009 1:25:20 PM   
Hard Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ranger5355

I have similar problems.
I have a fast computer using Intel Quad-core running vista
yea, those are the ones that seem to have some trouble, working on a fix for that now
Saving the game got rid of the load circle(hourglass on xp) and mouseclicks became nicely responsive.
Sidescrolling is still extremely sensative.
I have no sound after the start screen.
do you have sound/music turned on ? on the side panal, bottom two buttons ?
This is based on playing the tutorial.
Neither of these problems are gamestoppers for me.
Hopefully the sidscroll can be tamed down in the first patch but as I understand it making games whose engines were designed for old OS's run smoothly is not as simple as it sounds.

(in reply to LeeChard)
Post #: 17
RE: sluggish performance (even with tips from sticky en... - 9/25/2009 2:34:47 PM   
LeeChard

Turn the sound effects on.
Now I have sound effects.
Maybe I should have thought of that myself

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 18
RE: sluggish performance (even with tips from sticky en... - 9/25/2009 2:38:09 PM   
Hard Sarge

:)

more then a few people have missed that, with those buttons, everything is OFF to begin with, and pushing and making them Highlight, means they are on

(in reply to LeeChard)
Post #: 19
RE: sluggish performance (even with tips from sticky en... - 9/25/2009 2:53:08 PM   
cap87

I was wondering if this happened to somebody else: everytime Im playing the game my mouse pointer appears with a vista blue circle on its right, just like if its trying to load something; the issue is that it goes on without stopping and it`s really annoying me. any ideas?

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 20
RE: sluggish performance (even with tips from sticky en... - 9/25/2009 2:54:32 PM   
Hard Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: cap87

I was wondering if this happened to somebody else: everytime Im playing the game my mouse pointer appears with a vista blue circle on its right, just like if its trying to load something; the issue is that it goes on without stopping and it`s really annoying me. any ideas?
quote:

quote:

the hour glass does not mean anything, you can go to the save screen, save the game and the hour glass will go away, that is on the list for the first patch

(in reply to cap87)
Post #: 21
RE: sluggish performance (even with tips from sticky en... - 9/26/2009 12:39:27 AM   
Arnir

I might have missed the answer, but I can't figure out how to turn of DDraw either on my Vista64 machine.  Mine is running very sluggish as well.  I'm trying to fix that problem first.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 22
RE: sluggish performance (even with tips from sticky en... - 9/26/2009 8:09:07 AM   
Baron von Beer

XP, DXDiag setting to off isn't night and day, it's night and the sun going supernova.  Instead of 2 seconds per "tick" of scrolling, it is actually, fluid! 

And add another to the CPU affinity makes a world of difference gang. With the above change, all is good, until turning on the highlight occupied airfields. Then it's back to a crawl. Changed affinity to a single core, and smooth sailing again. Night, highlighted, etc on, and no issue.

< Message edited by Baron von Beer -- 9/27/2009 12:55:47 AM >

(in reply to Arnir)
Post #: 23
RE: sluggish performance (even with tips from sticky en... - 9/26/2009 2:47:11 PM   
Erik Rutins

Ok, for Vista my main suggestion for now is to set the process priority to its highest setting and to set the affinity. The DirectDraw fix for Vista should be built into the first update.

To see how to do the first two, go here:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2248141

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Baron von Beer)
Post #: 24
RE: sluggish performance (even with tips from sticky en... - 9/27/2009 12:35:09 AM   
mikkey

I have problem with flickering hint panels. Every change in-game time, resulting in flash displayed hint (information about object, hotkey hint...)

Post #: 25
RE: sluggish performance (even with tips from sticky en... - 9/27/2009 7:47:59 AM   
davidjruss

Erik

quote:

The DirectDraw fix for Vista should be built into the first update.

I assume the fix will also be for XP systems as I have graphics and slow down problems when disabling the DD at present on XP and have had to revert back to DD

DavidR

Post #: 26
RE: sluggish performance (even with tips from sticky en... - 9/27/2009 11:06:47 AM   
harley

Yes, David.

The WITP:AE guys designed this fix to be OS independent, and allow the game to run without changing system settings.

(in reply to davidjruss)
Post #: 27
RE: sluggish performance (even with tips from sticky en... - 9/27/2009 11:21:42 AM   
mikkey

harley, adjust this fix flashing hint panels too?

(in reply to harley)
Post #: 28
RE: sluggish performance (even with tips from sticky en... - 9/27/2009 2:30:14 PM   
Frandoxxx

One thing I found out not being a "tech head," is when you disable the directdraw, it does NOT enable again by a reboot. You have to go back in and manually enable it again. I found this out the hard way as I tried to play another game after i had disabled the directdraw and had a nasty CTD. I manually enabled directdraw and this game ran fine again.

SO remember, to always reenable the directdraw after your ED/BTR sesssion is over to avoid bad surprises with other software.

(in reply to mikkey)
Post #: 29
RE: sluggish performance (even with tips from sticky en... - 9/27/2009 2:42:26 PM   
harley

quote:

ORIGINAL: mikkey

harley, adjust this fix flashing hint panels too?

I need more info on this one. Where, what? I'm not sure what you mean from your first post.

(in reply to mikkey)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich >> Tech Support >> sluggish performance (even with tips from sticky enabled) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI