Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Tutorial Broken?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> WW2: Time of Wrath >> Tech Support >> Tutorial Broken? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tutorial Broken? - 9/26/2009 5:03:00 AM   
Happycat

After my initial difficulties with Digital River, I finally have this game downloaded and installed. Also patched to 1.60

When I start the tutorial, it says something about having fog of war set to level 3. How does one actually do that? I see nothing in the interface that looks like a FOW setting.

And even worse, when I select tutorial, with German set to "human", the list showing the unit types has nothing but zeroes. When I click ok to start the tutorial, I see a nice map of Poland, with absolutely nothing on it in the way of units.

It would also be nice if there was something in the blurb that goes with the 1.60 download that says whether or not I also need the 1.50 hotfix. I presume not, but it should be clarified.

Chance favours the prepared mind
Post #: 1
RE: Tutorial Broken? - 9/26/2009 9:30:26 AM   
Kurak

Fog of War setting is placed in Preferences screen.

quote:

And even worse, when I select tutorial, with German set to "human", the list showing the unit types has nothing but zeroes. When I click ok to start the tutorial, I see a nice map of Poland, with absolutely nothing on it in the way of units.
Click 'end turn' button, you'll get more instructions then :)

quote:

It would also be nice if there was something in the blurb that goes with the 1.60 download that says whether or not I also need the 1.50 hotfix. I presume not, but it should be clarified.
1.50 hotfix is not needed, just install 1.60

(in reply to Happycat)
Post #: 2
RE: Tutorial Broken? - 9/26/2009 5:54:59 PM   
Happycat

I see what you mean Kurak. Although I wonder why they don't call it "fog of war" underneath the slider then, so as to match the instructions for the tutorial. It's like telling someone, "turn the switch from on to off" and then labelling the switch "start and go". Intuitive this game is not...

As to the tutorial itself, I have uninstalled everything, and started from scratch. So, before applying the hotfix, therre does not even seem to be a tutorial

Now I will add the hotfix and see what happens. Hope this game is worth this amount of aggravation.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kurak

Fog of War setting is placed in Preferences screen.

quote:

quote:

1.50 hotfix is not needed, just install 1.60

(in reply to Kurak)
Post #: 3
RE: Tutorial Broken? - 9/26/2009 6:06:49 PM   
Happycat

Continuing the saga; I have now applied hotfix 1.50. No tutorial shows up in the selection menu. So it appears that the first instance of the tutorial occurring is with the beta patch.

It is curious too that nothing in the menu screen tells me what version I am using when the product is in its unpatched state, or after the hotfix is applied. The first instance of seeing a version number displayed is when the beta patch 1.60 is added.

Very strange

(in reply to Happycat)
Post #: 4
RE: Tutorial Broken? - 9/26/2009 7:41:19 PM   
Moltke71

My question is different.  Cab that single German division take Warsaw? Does the tutorial division continue after that?

Jim Cobb

(in reply to Happycat)
Post #: 5
RE: Tutorial Broken? - 9/29/2009 8:15:40 AM   
doomtrader

Happycat, Tutorial has been added in 1.60 patch.
Bismarck, Polish Army should be even weaker.

(in reply to Moltke71)
Post #: 6
RE: Tutorial Broken? - 10/9/2009 2:50:59 AM   
Happycat

The description of the new patch is very enticing, and I must admit after puttering around with the game, I do like it better now.

But the tutorial is still not giving Germany any units whatsoever. Does make the tutorial go by very quickly however. One does not actually learn anything from it, but at least it's not a huge investment of time

quote:

ORIGINAL: doomtrader

Happycat, Tutorial has been added in 1.60 patch.
Bismarck, Polish Army should be even weaker.

< Message edited by Happycat -- 10/9/2009 3:18:45 AM >

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 7
RE: Tutorial Broken? - 10/10/2009 1:11:04 AM   
Happycat

The support here is just amazing!

(in reply to Happycat)
Post #: 8
RE: Tutorial Broken? - 10/10/2009 8:35:30 AM   
Bleck

quote:

quote:

As Kurak wrote, after few turns you are told to buy some units and deploy them in and near Berlin (you need to learn everything, not just moving units) Just keep clicking "End turn" and follow the instructions given in events.

< Message edited by Bleck -- 10/10/2009 8:52:08 AM >

Wastelands Interactive member (Programmer)

(in reply to Kurak)
Post #: 9
RE: Tutorial Broken? - 10/10/2009 6:37:18 PM   
Happycat

Bleck, it's a good thing you came on and told me this. I would have never figured this out in a million years. Is this process actually documented somewhere in the manal?

It's a good thing that I had already tried the campaign game, and know how good this game is. Because the tutorial is terrible. I hate to sound like one of those people who is just never satisfied, because I am a very reasonable person. But I have never, in all my years of game playing (which predates the Atari 800/Commodore 64 days) seen such a peculiar approach to tutoring a game.

The biggest flaw in my opinion is that the player receives his instructions, and then clicks them off before doing what he has been told to do. Normally in a tutorial the instructions stay in an active dialogue display, so that they are there for quick reference.

It might also be an idea to get someone whose first language is English to proofread your online documentation and dialogues. It makes a bad impression on those of us who do not like to see our language mutilated

I do appreciate your help, and hope that you find my comments useful, and not offensive.

Thanks again,
quote:

ORIGINAL: Bleck

quote:

quote:

As Kurak wrote, after few turns you are told to buy some units and deploy them in and near Berlin (you need to learn everything, not just moving units) Just keep clicking "End turn" and follow the instructions given in events.

(in reply to Bleck)
Post #: 10
RE: Tutorial Broken? - 10/10/2009 6:55:04 PM   
Bleck

No problem :) Tutorial is not mentioned in manual because it was added in patch 1.6. As for approach to tutoring, we are aware of that, but it was the only way to do this back then (game engine limitations).

quote:

It's a good thing that I had already tried the campaign game, and know how good this game is.

We (Wastelands Interactive) are happy to hear that Have fun.

Wastelands Interactive member (Programmer)

(in reply to Happycat)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> WW2: Time of Wrath >> Tech Support >> Tutorial Broken? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI