Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: PzLehr vs Feurer Krieg

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: The Longest Day >> After Action Reports >> RE: PzLehr vs Feurer Krieg Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: PzLehr vs Feurer Krieg - 8/23/2009 6:38:11 PM   
panzerlehr62

Sorry, going to mess around with a image host site to see if I can add multiple pictures to a post. Right now I got 1 to work above, but for some reason no matter what I do I cant shrink the picture to a smaller size when it shows up here. If you guys dont mind the massive size of these pictures I guess I can do it that way. If anyone knows how to make them appear smaller let me know, because if its possible it must be some type code used in these posts, because the image I downloaded has been shrunk down from its orginal size yet it doesnt display like that here.

Gz...

(in reply to GS_Schimpf)
Post #: 121
RE: PzLehr vs Feurer Krieg - 8/23/2009 10:33:12 PM   
DasHoff

every1 has broadband here so im sure it wont matter.

if u wanna resize and stuff, you should use an image editor like paintshop pro, or even photoshop

(in reply to panzerlehr62)
Post #: 122
RE: PzLehr vs Feurer Krieg - 8/23/2009 11:17:54 PM   
panzerlehr62

Yep. Well I made the image smaller (when I do that for a normal attachment it does show up here smaller, because normally I shrink them down about 10%), but for some reason when its gets downloaded back here (from web hosting site using [image] ) its expanded out again to fill the entire screen area again.

***EDIT UPDATE***

After screwing around with it the problem was with the website I uploaded to. Its free and that pretty much sums it up right there, but hey its better then nothing once you figuire it out.

Gz....

< Message edited by panzerlehr62 -- 8/24/2009 12:24:43 AM >

(in reply to DasHoff)
Post #: 123
RE: PzLehr vs Feurer Krieg - 8/24/2009 12:57:47 AM   
DasHoff

photobucket is one of the best sites to host images, id highly recommend it

Post #: 124
RE: PzLehr vs Feurer Krieg - 8/24/2009 1:34:23 AM   
panzerlehr62

Thats the one I am using (free version)... Maybe it takes time, but one of the images I have out there is not the way its showing up here (showing up way I first uploaded it, but later deleted it). Other picture out there displays here correctly, but shows as the way I first uploaded it still at their site...Its about time to have a beer so this all makes sense...

Gz...

(in reply to DasHoff)
Post #: 125
RE: PzLehr vs Feurer Krieg - 8/29/2009 1:34:49 AM   
panzerlehr62

Merville Battery:

Turn 1, Day 2.

WN 20 / 716th INF DIV vs 8th BDE/ 3RD British ID

If this were football, this battle was like going for it on 4th and inches and we didn't move the chains. Pathetic is all that needs to be said! Time is running out on 3rd Para, so if this map is not secured in the next few turns it never will be!

Ouistreham:

Turn 1, Day 2.

192nd PzGr/21st PD vs 7th BDE/ 3RD Canadian ID

Thanks Tobin and Digby!

I played this pretty conservative considering the outcome of off shore artillery to start this fun fest, but the fact is I don't have the armor to waste here in a careless attack. This is definitly not the matchup I wanted for the 192nd and I only have myself to blame for that.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by panzerlehr62 -- 8/29/2009 2:12:32 AM >

Post #: 126
RE: PzLehr vs Feurer Krieg - 8/29/2009 2:07:56 AM   
panzerlehr62

Special note:
Sadly 501st (101AB) reserves have all come down with H1N1 (swine flu). It caused me to waste 2 days of my life plodding thru endless hex till my eyes wanted to pop out! In the end I did find were they are stored and how to add them back. Still not able to figuire out why they keep vanishing at a rate of 15 per turn however.

Hermanville Sur Mer:

Turn 1, Day 2.

642nd Ost/716st ID vs 8th BDE/3rd British ID

This type of battle pretty much sums up the type of oppenent I have. He could have used morale to keep me from taking this map in one turn fairly easy, but he chose to play it like it would have actually went down. Class act my friends!

I don't have a lot going in the Caen area supply wise, so this map and the next one (Tailleville) are pretty important for me to secure in a single battle.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by panzerlehr62 -- 8/29/2009 2:54:11 AM >

Post #: 127
RE: PzLehr vs Feurer Krieg - 9/6/2009 1:15:18 AM   
panzerlehr62

Command team from Amfreville with one of the few medals awarded so far.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 128
RE: PzLehr vs Feurer Krieg - 9/6/2009 1:38:38 AM   
panzerlehr62

My hard luck team, with the 8/3 Brits currently at Hermanville Sur Mer.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 129
RE: PzLehr vs Feurer Krieg - 9/6/2009 2:42:09 AM   
panzerlehr62

Best allied at-gun so far, part of the 508/82. By the actions of this gun, 1057/91 retreated off La Fiere Causeway the very next turn. The situation was so grave up to that point, that Hq had basically writen off this entire BG as a casualty of war due to its poor drop locations! I salute this team, and wish them well for the remainder of this conflict.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by panzerlehr62 -- 9/6/2009 8:10:07 PM >

Post #: 130
RE: PzLehr vs Feurer Krieg - 9/6/2009 3:16:06 AM   
panzerlehr62

My final team post is from the 18/1 that landed on Easy Red, June 6th, 1944. The other tanks you see listed with this Bg did not arrive until the early morning hours of June 7th, after all the hard fighting for this beach had already taken place.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by panzerlehr62 -- 9/6/2009 11:31:02 PM >

Post #: 131
RE: PzLehr vs Feurer Krieg - 9/6/2009 3:09:12 PM   
GS_Schimpf

Interesting names... 

Post #: 132
RE: PzLehr vs Feurer Krieg - 9/6/2009 8:58:37 PM   
panzerlehr62

You think!...

At this point after logging so many hours into this game I figuired why not have some fun with it. Some of you guys have been really supportive of these posts so I figuired why not honor you. I can tell you I will not treat these teams lightly. Having the teams spread out over basically the entire normandy area should make it interesting. Some of the names are from excellant oppenents ive played in the past too, not to mention the slacker soldier I am currently playing right now..hehehe...just kidding Bob!

Basically things have been slow battling wise this past week and with a small issue with the game file needing to be resolved before we continue this was the perfect time. Hopefully things will be going again Monday night and new posts will start appearing through out the week. Its given me some time to understand a little how the saved game file works and actually add back a few German teams that just vanished early on in our campaign, although in one case for Bob its about 2 turns to late.

I also want to point out one incredible ongoing post at the forum for the Pacific War.
Its called "Small Ship, Big War", its writen by Cuttlefish. Its by far the best post ive ever seen. The link is listed below, if you have time (a lot of time actually ) check it out.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1363103&mpage=162&key=

Gz...

< Message edited by panzerlehr62 -- 9/6/2009 11:09:49 PM >

(in reply to GS_Schimpf)
Post #: 133
RE: PzLehr vs Feurer Krieg - 9/7/2009 4:19:50 AM   
Senior Drill

I can has Bronze Star! Gots to be more kereful now!

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre.

Post #: 134
RE: PzLehr vs Feurer Krieg - 9/7/2009 2:36:01 PM   
panzerlehr62

Yeah its corny I know. Just killing some time before the action starts up again. If most of these teams are around by the end of day two I will be amazed (Omaha at this point might be the one area were a team could make it all the way thru to day 4). Specially the team at Amfreville, it was almost taken out last turn. The last remaining area to be secured on that map will come at a high price.

Gz..

(in reply to Senior Drill)
Post #: 135
RE: PzLehr vs Feurer Krieg - 9/7/2009 4:08:23 PM   
Pz Leader

Hi Lehr. Thanks for putting me in the gunner's spot. ;) Would you try and get me a medal? Can't let those anti-tank gun heads out perform the armor! :)

Keep up the good work on the AAR. I re-read it from beginning to end again after playing the bloody Omaha mini campaign for the first time (not there yet in GC). I got massacred. I didn't know that I had naval artillery to allocate during the strategic stage, and then 9 out of 10 of my tanks lost their armor duels against those darn ATG heads. Seems like a lot of luck involved on the beaches although I'm sure there's more to it than that (I just haven't figured it out yet) To make matters even worse, my opponent set-up on the beaches and flanked me as I crawled inland.

I'd like to hear from the designers as to why the Americans have such a small deployment area to begin from on the beaches. It's my fault for not clearing my flanks along the shore line. On the other hand, it seems.....well..... absurd that the Germans would deploy on the beaches instead of in their bunkers and trenches. I'd like to see the Allies get to deploy all along the beaches instead of in the center boresighted by the German ATG's and artillery. Thoughts anyone? And not just that I suck please. :)

Perhaps I should start a new thread as I don't want to hijack Lehr's spectacular AAR. That is if anyone responds. ;)

Post #: 136
RE: PzLehr vs Feurer Krieg - 9/7/2009 7:26:06 PM   
panzerlehr62

HiJack away, not a issue at all with me and the more input here the better. Good,bad or just tell me to STFU its all good and I would totally understand.

Yeah I tryed to explain how tuff it was at Omaha for me and why I took such narrow paths to get to thous summits(looking back at thous maps I am still not sure how I finally secured them). I held back using any tanks on most of thous maps in the begining so I would have them later on once I had gotten a good foothold (only get 1 to 3 so you cant waste them).

I tried in a few simulation games to duel it out and my tanks lost everytime to the at-guns inside the bunkers. Offshore does little to damage anything in the bunkers so its a real ball buster the first few turns just using infantry. Hoff or anyone else for that matter I would love to see some screen shots from you on Omaha as to were you placed your tanks to knock out at-guns inside the summit bunkers so easily at easy and dog red beaches. If you post please tell us what turn it was?

It seems to me it takes about 4 solid turns before you can start to breath easier in the Omaha sector, thats basing it off playing Chopper and Bob in GCs(progress was almost identical). Matter of fact I was looking back over Choppers game at turn 4 and the only 2 beach spots that were still unsecured were in the Omaha sector (easy and dog red) and that was using "obey" all orders which as it turned out gave a huge advantage to allies side (Choppers rule not mine).

PzLd I cant really say I had a major problem with deployment areas on the beaches. All the deployments seem a little too small when I am the attacker and a little too big when I am the defender...

First thing to me anyway when you enter a beach map is make sure you have at least 2 or 3 mortar teams that first turn, so when you do your flank sweeps any defending german teams out in the open will be easy prey and plus dont forget to bring along a little offshore arty too (that will clear one flank for sure)... Bob tended to save his infantry and not waste them on the beach the first turn so only rarely did I run into a rouge team on my flanks. Chopper on the other hand liked to deploy around the perimeter more so it kinda gave me two diffrent looks at how one could defend the beaches when playing the german side. Both defenses worked equally well the first turn, but I think saving teams pays off a little more as the day progresses.

Yes, welcome to the "I suck invading Omaha beach club". If you see the other posts from the german at-guns at Omaha you will know that its a large club!

Its funny, it seems like the game gives out medals to the german side like candy on halloween. On the allies side its like pulling teeth, then add in having to constantly attack and the way teams are wiped out in seconds, makes it almost impossible to accrue anything. I will do my best for you, just don't expect much....

Gz...

(in reply to Pz Leader)
Post #: 137
RE: PzLehr vs Feurer Krieg - 9/8/2009 6:30:22 AM   
DasHoff

EASY RED: the guns have horrible LOS. this was actually the hardest map for me, because the gun in the middle does have great LOS; it just cant shoot over the bridge to the troops on the beach. i did what i always do to knock it out: deployed 2 x 57mm guns in the little bunkers near the beach in the second battle, and had a gun to gun battle to take it out. the top bunker has dreadful LOS, and the only place u can put the 3rd gun is in the house, where it will get killed straight away by tanks anyway

DOG RED: one of the hill bunkers and the small round bunker have perfect LOS on the beach. i think it was just dumb luck that i killed the pak40 on the hill bunker in this map, if i recall. i kinda remmeber my opponent raging about it, because it dueled with my tanks for like 3 minutes, before finally being knocked out, i think it got a couple of my tanks. at close range, even in the bunker, the pak38 didnt stand a chance.

so yeah these are definately the 2 hardest beach maps, but taking out the pak40 in the 2nd one was just good luck. i did lose all my tanks on easy red tho, and ended up having to take the rest of the map without tank support, tho i had 2 x 57mms in the little bunkers which can basically fire on anything in the map

< Message edited by DasHoff -- 9/8/2009 6:32:24 AM >

Post #: 138
RE: PzLehr vs Feurer Krieg - 9/8/2009 6:53:26 AM   
FeurerKrieg

Interesting Hoff. Clearly your opponent and I don't play the same way.

On Easy Red, firstly, you don't have to take all three guns on the first battle.
Secondly, the place you show the pak40 in the center is good, but then the other pak can go in the large bunker in the middle and it has LOS to the south, so that those two guns effectively cover each other. And on the first turn, Allied opponent is going to hammer the lower center bunker with tanks, so I just put an inf team there initially, put a pak40 in the big bunker (that one is pretty safe), and maybe put the 5cm in the building just to see if you get a lucky shot. Save the other pak40 for round two, and leave the bunker on the southern hill for MGs/Inf to defend. If you use all guns in first round, one good turn by Allies and the rest is easy for them since they don't have to worry about AT guns.

Same thing for Dog - I wouldn't want to put the 5cm so close to the beach. it is guaranteed to get hammered faster then it will get a shot off. Reason being, Allied player can target it before battle starts, where as gun has to be on defend and/or manually acquire a target. Better to put it on the north hill or in the large bunker near the center of town.

Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks

(in reply to DasHoff)
Post #: 139
RE: PzLehr vs Feurer Krieg - 9/8/2009 11:10:16 AM   
DasHoff

that big bunker on easy does have LOS to the south; but i'm a cheap bastard so i know the LOS before the battle; i avoided getting into its firing arc completely. it has absolutely no LOS to the front, so i was inside it before his guys could even fire on me. as i said before, i managed to take the front of the beach first battle, after that i just put my own guns in all the bunkers and blasted him out in the 2nd battle

also, big edit on DOG, i remember what i did now. i brought 2-3 at guns and deployed them right on the beach. the best thing to kill guns in bunkers is other at guns, for some reason. they made short work of the pak40 in the hill bunker, i think i only lost one of the guns. you can bet my opponent raged that a gun in a bunker lost to guns sitting on the beach, but that's how it was

< Message edited by DasHoff -- 9/8/2009 11:11:38 AM >

(in reply to FeurerKrieg)
Post #: 140
RE: PzLehr vs Feurer Krieg - 9/8/2009 11:12:51 AM   
DasHoff

also, that big bunker is pretty epic. i remmeber on the 2nd battle i had like 3 squads in it, but it was still contested. he had one guy left hiding in it; it took ages before they finally found him

(in reply to DasHoff)
Post #: 141
RE: PzLehr vs Feurer Krieg - 9/9/2009 12:17:28 AM   
panzerlehr62

Thanks for posting Hoff, it makes for a good discussion of two of the hardest maps in this game for the allies. I want you to re-look at one of the bunkers. Try moving the at-gun in that bunker just a tad down from were you have it and tell me what you find.

Also let me point out somethg important about bunkers. Dont always think putting an at-gun in one will just give you that LOS everytime. By positioning it a diffrent direction before you place it inside can give you "sometimes" a totally diffrent LOS. So always test, test and test some more before you decide that bunker is worthless. Ive also had a bunker that wouldnt let me put a gun inside the first try (sword beach, round bunker, top area in the forrest) it took like 10 trys and it finally went inside. May not always work, but never give up until you try a few times or you run out of #$@## words!

Yes Ive had very good luck using at-guns in the water on the beach too. Mortar rounds are muted by the water and dont have near the deadly blast effect when they hit on land.

Gz...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by panzerlehr62 -- 9/9/2009 12:32:07 AM >

(in reply to DasHoff)
Post #: 142
RE: PzLehr vs Feurer Krieg - 9/9/2009 1:37:59 AM   
DasHoff

ah, yeah i just quickly threw that together, if i was the german player i guess i would have to look harder at the LOS.

Post #: 143
RE: PzLehr vs Feurer Krieg - 9/9/2009 3:32:42 AM   
panzerlehr62

Limited action at best. Second battle of the night crashed (my computer no less) at about the 3 or 4 minute mark and that put an end to the night. What we ended up with was a pretty boring first battle, outside of the limited at-gun vs tank duel (overall it wasn't much). Top it off it seemed like the movie groundhog day replaying that map again!

Tailleville/Taineville:

Turn 1, Day 2.

WN 29 / 716th INF DIV vs 9th BDE/ 3RD Canadian ID

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by panzerlehr62 -- 9/9/2009 3:38:14 AM >

Post #: 144
RE: PzLehr vs Feurer Krieg - 9/11/2009 12:40:21 AM   
panzerlehr62

Buron:

Turn 1, Day 2.

25thSS PzGr./12SS Pz vs 8th BDE/ 3RD Canadian ID

First tank duel resulted in a draw: 5 German and 5 Canadian losses. It also looks like 2 more German tanks were damaged so maybe one of them fails to return.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by panzerlehr62 -- 9/11/2009 8:52:08 PM >

Post #: 145
RE: PzLehr vs Feurer Krieg - 9/11/2009 11:34:38 AM   
GS_Schimpf

Do you have a screen showing the losses at the Buron battle? Just out of curiosity.

Post #: 146
RE: PzLehr vs Feurer Krieg - 9/11/2009 4:46:47 PM   
panzerlehr62

Sadly I didn't grab a snap shot after this battle(I forgot about using the print screen key). Ive got a program I can run to do just that, but with the last crash on this map and the fact my machine is so old there was no way I was going to run any extra prgrams in the background. I almost think it crashed on us the first time just because almost every unit was moving at the same time for the first several minutes of the game.

I put together some pic's from the game map of what the BGs look like now. As it turned out we both had a tank with 2 kills. Germans only lost one infantry team and by the looks I probably did too (only 2 men left in a rifle group).

Two factors that could have swung this game either way were one I couldn't switch out the centaur and two the German 234/1 arm car lost a wheel and never joined the battle. Fuel played an overall effect because I didn't want to risk losing more tanks to fuel so I was pretty much limited myself to 5 plus the Centaur (first battle that crashed I had 6 of 7 out of fuel at the start, unreal odds for just being low). Last time I had battle with low fuel I lost all 3 tanks in that game so I don't have great luck there either.

Gz...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by panzerlehr62 -- 9/11/2009 4:53:38 PM >

(in reply to GS_Schimpf)
Post #: 147
RE: PzLehr vs Feurer Krieg - 10/1/2009 11:33:28 AM   
GS_Schimpf

Any news on this GC?

Post #: 148
RE: PzLehr vs Feurer Krieg - 10/1/2009 4:46:18 PM   
FeurerKrieg

Interestingly enough, we just played a couple battles last night.

At Crepon the Germans reopened their supply route through Cruelly, and at Bayeux Schelle brigade was nearly run over by the veterans of the beach landings.

I'm sure Pz will have the details at some point for you.

Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks

(in reply to GS_Schimpf)
Post #: 149
RE: PzLehr vs Feurer Krieg - 10/2/2009 2:16:42 AM   
panzerlehr62

Crepon:

Turn 1, Day 2.

915th RGT/ 352nd INF DIV vs 231st BDE/ 50th British ID

Let me give a special thanks to Steve and Jim who go the extra mile for us when we have problems. They fixed our game file and now things will continue again for the good or bad of it!

Losing the initiative in a battle makes for a long 20 minutes. I didn't look forward to this fight and all I can say is I am glad its over. The extra wait only added to the agony. The only good news to come from this, the German attack was very mild and supply is on its way.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by panzerlehr62 -- 10/2/2009 2:17:11 AM >

(in reply to FeurerKrieg)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: The Longest Day >> After Action Reports >> RE: PzLehr vs Feurer Krieg Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI