Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

I Keep Coming Back... when's TOAW 4?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> I Keep Coming Back... when's TOAW 4? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
I Keep Coming Back... when's TOAW 4? - 8/18/2009 5:03:36 AM   
geozero

TOAW is one of those classic computer wargames that I find myself coming back to over and over. I think few PC wargames compare to that, though some of my other favorites are Steel Panthers, Panzer General, WitP, and maybe HOI II (HOI III needs a lot of fixing)... but I digress.

The point I'm trying to make is that with TOAW being such a great system where you can model just about ANY battle (albeit a few glitches here and t here), the question begs to be asked... when is TOAW 4 going to see the light of day.

Yes, I've read a lot of posts about how it's a labor of love, how there could be legal issues, etc. But someone, somewhere must have the ability to code a new game along the lines of Norm Koger's classic and bring it to a modern finish playable game.

Matrix should have the sales data history to show how many gamers would buy this NEW TOAW, and even if it came out as a $75 game, I think a lot of people would buy it IF enough changes were made so it was truly a new game engine, graphics, and design.

So aside from time constraints, would it not be to the company's best interest to invest in a new TOAW title by putting some resources to it... a full time programmer, graphics artists, testing team, etc? Maybe this is already happening and I haven't paid attention, but when you have a great game that you can re-make and make it better, it sound to be like a formula for success...

I guess for now I'll go back to finishing yet another map...

JUST SAY NO... To Hideous Graphics.
Post #: 1
RE: I Keep Coming Back... when's TOAW 4? - 10/3/2009 4:09:01 PM   
redwolf

What do you think would set TOAW4 apart from TOAW3?

Personally I long for a WEGO TOAW with multiplayer and an interface to plug in your own AI. But that' just one person's preference, I am not sure there is a real direction set to what the next "real" installment of TOAW the game would be.

(in reply to geozero)
Post #: 2
RE: I Keep Coming Back... when's TOAW 4? - 10/3/2009 8:26:18 PM   
V22 Osprey

TOAW IV will be no different from TOAW III.If you want new features, it would just be in a future patch.No sense in making a new game for essentially the same thing, plus TOAW III hasn't even been out that long.

Art by rogueusmc.

(in reply to redwolf)
Post #: 3
RE: I Keep Coming Back... when's TOAW 4? - 10/9/2009 3:53:52 AM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: redwolf

Personally I long for a WEGO TOAW with multiplayer and an interface to plug in your own AI. But that' just one person's preference, I am not sure there is a real direction set to what the next "real" installment of TOAW the game would be.

That's more than just one person's preference.

Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to redwolf)
Post #: 4
RE: I Keep Coming Back... when's TOAW 4? - 10/11/2009 9:56:00 PM   
ralphtricky

quote:

ORIGINAL: redwolf

I went ahead and wrote a blog post instead of posting it here so I can laugh at what I wrote in a couple of years ;)

The AI interface should make it into the next game, but the documentation probably isn't going to be very good. You'd be able to do map analysis (with the same limits as hiumans) and set formation tracks, but would have to let the current code deal with making sure that the units followed the tracks. (that't the interesting and least well done piece anyway.) You'd also have the same control that you have with events, but be able to use a language like C# to code the events in as well as the current process. That means that things like unit creation, etc. should be possible, and the overall coding of events should be simplified.

Multiplayer and WeGo is probably going to be the game after. There is a LOT to do for that, and none of it is simple, that's probalby 6 months to a year of effort in those pieces alone. As I say there, a multi-player game is going to feel a lot different. I can't see two people being online for 120+ hours to play a game of FitE.

http://www.operationalwarfare.com/post/Future-Game-ideas.aspx

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.

(in reply to redwolf)
Post #: 5
RE: I Keep Coming Back... when's TOAW 4? - 10/12/2009 9:13:06 PM   
jmlima

quote:

ORIGINAL: ralphtrick

Multiplayer and WeGo is probably going to be the game after. There is a LOT to do for that, and none of it is simple, that's probalby 6 months to a year of effort in those pieces alone. ...

Bloody hell Ralph. You're an eternal optimist. 6 months for WEGO? eh,eh,eh... tell that to the Combined Arms team...

(in reply to ralphtricky)
Post #: 6
RE: I Keep Coming Back... when's TOAW 4? - 10/13/2009 5:20:19 AM   
ralphtricky

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmlima
quote:

ORIGINAL: ralphtrick

Multiplayer and WeGo is probably going to be the game after. There is a LOT to do for that, and none of it is simple, that's probalby 6 months to a year of effort in those pieces alone. ...

Bloody hell Ralph. You're an eternal optimist. 6 months for WEGO? eh,eh,eh... tell that to the Combined Arms team...

Yes I am

Here's my vision today (it may change tomorrow) There are some libraries out now that make it easier, and even as WeGo, it's probably would be still almost the turn-based model, just with simultaneous resolution, kind of like combat mission. I could even use something like IM to ship files back and forth.

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.

(in reply to jmlima)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> I Keep Coming Back... when's TOAW 4? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI