Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Brett Favre vs the Packers

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Brett Favre vs the Packers Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Brett Favre vs the Packers - 10/6/2009 12:09:54 AM   
KG Erwin

Never thought I'd see it, but here it is. I remain a Green Bay fan, but this is a scenario that pains me as no pro football game ever has. I didn't regret Brett leaving, but last year it was different. NOW, he plays for a direct rival, the despised Vikings. Yeah, Brett will play against some old friends, but I hope that the reacquaintence will be as one of the Packers' defensive linemen puts Favre on his butt , or if Al Harris intercepts one of his passes.
Post #: 1
RE: Brett Favre vs the Packers - 10/6/2009 12:12:26 AM   
killroyishere

Go Vikings!!

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 2
RE: Brett Favre vs the Packers - 10/6/2009 12:15:47 AM   
Yogi the Great

It is kind of strange, but I haven't let it upset me at all.

I'm an old Fart anyway I guess, living in Wisconsin my whole life.  I always preferred Bart Starr to Favre and the Lombardi Packers over anything of more recent years.

Do hope the Pack wins however, a new T-Shirt may be in the works,

"Minnesota - The land of 10,000 interceptions"

Hooked Since AH Gettysburg

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 3
RE: Brett Favre vs the Packers - 10/6/2009 12:29:11 AM   
KG Erwin

Well, Yogi, I started following the Pack in the early 1970s, after the glory years of Lombardi had passed. Hoewver, I learned the history, read "Instant Replay", and have stuck with them for nearly 40 years. For me, Favre became an idol, as I was too young to remember Starr. 1996 was such a special year, as we won the Super Bowl, my daughter was born, and I earned a job promotion.

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 4
RE: Brett Favre vs the Packers - 10/6/2009 1:30:27 AM   
Phatguy

Hope Woodson takes one to the house!!

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 5
RE: Brett Favre vs the Packers - 10/6/2009 5:21:10 AM   
nelmsm1

Well I guess you poor saps are disappointed now aren't you.  Really wasn't thrilled to see Favre come to the Vikings but I've got admit they are a better team with him.  Go Vikes!

(in reply to Phatguy)
Post #: 6
RE: Brett Favre vs the Packers - 10/6/2009 2:10:41 PM   
Yogi the Great

Yes the Good Brett was back last night and you always have to feel good about an "old" guy doing well.  Maybe his old age also brings a little less recklessness.  He holds the records for most interceptions thrown along with all the good records.

The debate of if they should have let him go will have new life today I'm sure.

KG I sure understand your feelings about Favre.  When he was hot, there was no one better.  But I noted a national ranking this summer at a magazine store of the best quarterbacks of all time.  Brett was there, but finally someone agreed and rated Bart higher.  Montana was #1.  Bart was not as flashy by any means as Brett, but he got the job done, and had 5 championships to his name.  Reason enough to rate him high.  Also didn't screw up as often as Brett did.  Bottom line though, Green Bay can claim two of the greatest quaterbacks of all time in their history.

Hooked Since AH Gettysburg

(in reply to nelmsm1)
Post #: 7
RE: Brett Favre vs the Packers - 10/6/2009 3:06:23 PM   
killroyishere

Aikman and Staubach are the best quarterbacks of all time I don't care what some offbeat biased no one cares about review zine said. Who's the best is always and will always be subjective unless they have a national election lol and that ain't gonna happen. Montanna wasn't that great, he just had great players surrounding him. Kind of ticks me off when they start saying this guy was the greatest and that guy was the greatest but if those other 10 players hadn't of played great then those greats wouldn't have been so great. Take a lesson from Rodgers last night they are saying if's and butts about him being the greatest QB today, but, the old but is there if he had "protection". Well he got sacked 8 times last night so he's not so great now is he?

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 8
RE: Brett Favre vs the Packers - 10/6/2009 3:51:50 PM   
RedArgo

I could have thrown for 300 yards last night (okay, maybe not really) with the amount of time Favre had. I don't think GB got within 10 feet of him.

Rating football players is hard because football is so much a team sport. Put Montana on the Broncos in the late eighties with crummy receivers, mediocre running backs and o-line and see if he would do as well as Elway. Put Marino on Montana's 49ers and he may have been even better.

That being said, it is obvious that Elway is the greatest ever! And Orton is closing fast on greatness

(in reply to killroyishere)
Post #: 9
RE: Brett Favre vs the Packers - 10/6/2009 6:55:58 PM   
anarchyintheuk

Not a GB fan, but my favorite qbs of theirs were the rotating concussions known as Lynn Dickey and David Whitehurst. Always been partial to the 'he'll bend and he'll break but he won't die' qbs.

(in reply to RedArgo)
Post #: 10
RE: Brett Favre vs the Packers - 10/7/2009 2:05:07 AM   
sullafelix

I'm a diehard GB fan from the 60's on. But it was good to see them eat crow from BF. But really I don't think he has any feeling except he wanted to play for a better team.

About his interceptions and forcing plays. First his interception percentage is less than anyone near him in the HOF. Second except for 3-4 years out of 17 GB did not have good and never had a great team. The won the SB but it wasn't a great team. People don't get it GB had no running game, sure he could have played it safe and lost and lost and lost. But he tried to win and that's where the interceptions come in. When you can't run it they know you have to pass it.

Who did he play with on GB that is going to the HOF? Al Harris, Woodson and Reggie and Reggie was already going there. Now look at the 70's Steelers and 80's SF and 90's Dallas and how many of them are in or are going to be in the HOF?

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 11
RE: Brett Favre vs the Packers - 10/7/2009 12:34:23 PM   
killroyishere

Man the guy almost cried he was so emotional and happy he stomped Greenbay. He was very professional in his responses but I know he wanted to stomp them and also to Prove he's the better man. He can say whatever he wants to in front of the camara but behind closed doors I'd bet my house he was dancing with glee and being real enthusiastic about his stomping of the Packers. Hell I would.

(in reply to sullafelix)
Post #: 12
RE: Brett Favre vs the Packers - 10/7/2009 8:49:05 PM   
Arctic Blast

Personally, I'm sick of the whole story. He wanted to keep playing...they had already moved on to Rodgers. He made the move he needed to to keep going, they made the move they needed to at some point to see if the kid can play. Yet the sports media has to blow the whole stupid thing up every stupid year in to practically a 24/7 Favre watch. Ugh.

Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.

(in reply to killroyishere)
Post #: 13
RE: Brett Favre vs the Packers - 10/11/2009 3:42:40 PM   
killroyishere

And who will Brett get to stomp this weekend? Go Brett Go Vikings!

(in reply to Arctic Blast)
Post #: 14
RE: Brett Favre vs the Packers - 10/11/2009 5:52:08 PM   
Titanwarrior89

Thats one of the reasons I like the college ball much better. They may fold up and stop the program but they don't pack up and leave town(like the browns).
quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

Never thought I'd see it, but here it is. I remain a Green Bay fan, but this is a scenario that pains me as no pro football game ever has. I didn't regret Brett leaving, but last year it was different. NOW, he plays for a direct rival, the despised Vikings. Yeah, Brett will play against some old friends, but I hope that the reacquaintence will be as one of the Packers' defensive linemen puts Favre on his butt , or if Al Harris intercepts one of his passes.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 15
RE: Brett Favre vs the Packers - 10/11/2009 9:02:00 PM   
martok

I'm just happy to see the Vikings go 4-0 (now 5-0) for the first time in a while. While I admittedly have mixed feelings on Favre wearing the Minnesota Purple, there's little denying that him joining the team has already had a big impact....and for the better.

We'll see how the season continues to progress. Thus far, however, I'd say he's earned his paycheck.

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

(in reply to Arctic Blast)
Post #: 16
RE: Brett Favre vs the Packers - 10/11/2009 10:25:51 PM   
killroyishere

When he beat Greenbay he earned his paycheck. That was the game of the year so far to me and now I can't wait to hear the booing when he goes to play in Greenbay.

(in reply to martok)
Post #: 17
RE: Brett Favre vs the Packers - 12/28/2009 11:10:25 AM   
priya678

is that the Packers are one of the most over-rated teams in the NFL this year. You don't usually go from 6 - 10 to a winning record without much roster changes. The change to a 3-4 D won't matter against Peterson, because everyone is running all over the Packers. The Lions will beat them twice and the Bears will win the next one and should have won the first. The Vikings should take both games easily barring special teams mistakes._______________________________________________________
diesel injectors
importing car to canada

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 18
RE: Brett Favre vs the Packers - 12/28/2009 4:59:04 PM   
SlickWilhelm

As a young lad, I watched my beloved Vikes choke in four Super Bowls in the 1970's. Due to that deep emotional scarring, I've learned to cope by being merely a fair weather fan.

That being said, it would be such poetic justice to see Favre help the Vikes win their first ever Super Bowl. Knowing how much this would infuriate my friends and colleagues who are rabid Packer fans makes me all warm & fuzzy inside.

Beta Tester - Brother Against Brother
Beta Tester - Commander: The Great War
Beta Tester - Desert War 1940-42

(in reply to priya678)
Post #: 19
RE: Brett Favre vs the Packers - 12/28/2009 7:07:46 PM   
Qwixt

The only thing that ticks me off about it is that he isn't having his normal INT filled season. After watching probably %90+ of his INT as a packer fan, I am/was really looking forward to watching a bunch this year. But nooooo, the bitter headcase plays better when filled with revenge.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Slick Wilhelm

That being said, it would be such poetic justice to see Favre help the Vikes win their first ever Super Bowl.

That isn't going to happen.

< Message edited by Qwixt -- 12/28/2009 7:08:22 PM >

(in reply to SlickWilhelm)
Post #: 20
RE: Brett Favre vs the Packers - 12/30/2009 1:44:51 AM   
sullafelix

I'm a Packer fan from way back ( 60's ) but I take offense at your " normal INT filled season ".He wanted to win games so he took chances. The teams that we had for him except for 96-97 were not great.He very rarely had a running game so the other team knew he had to pass. He could have played it safe and not thrown but then the Pack would have no chance of winning those games. The Pack's salary cap was so low that it was a very stupid move not to get a receiver as good as Moss. The main reason by a large margin that we won all those games and went to the playoffs was Favre. The main reason that the Vikes are in contention is Favre. is he the greatest QB ever? I would have to say no. I saw Unitas play. But like him, losing going into the final drive you know you have a good chance with Favre.

(in reply to Qwixt)
Post #: 21
RE: Brett Favre vs the Packers - 12/30/2009 3:21:29 AM   
Qwixt

quote:

ORIGINAL: sulla05

I'm a Packer fan from way back ( 60's ) but I take offense at your " normal INT filled season ".He wanted to win games so he took chances. The teams that we had for him except for 96-97 were not great.He very rarely had a running game so the other team knew he had to pass. He could have played it safe and not thrown but then the Pack would have no chance of winning those games. The Pack's salary cap was so low that it was a very stupid move not to get a receiver as good as Moss. The main reason by a large margin that we won all those games and went to the playoffs was Favre. The main reason that the Vikes are in contention is Favre. is he the greatest QB ever? I would have to say no. I saw Unitas play. But like him, losing going into the final drive you know you have a good chance with Favre.

So in your opinion, Favre throwing literally 2x-3x as many INTs with the Packers was all due to his WRs?

No running game:

Green gained 1800 yards one season.
2001 - 1693 yds rushing
2002 - 1933 yds rushing
2003 - 2558 yds rushing
2004 - 1908 yds rushing
2005 - 1352 yds rushing
2006 - 1663 yds rushing
2007 - 1597 yds rushing

2009 - 1776 yds rushing with 314 of those yards from Rodgers

WRs: Sharp, Jackson, Jennings, Driver, Freeman, Brooks, Chewy, Green (out of the backfield), Walker before his knee and head problems.

Further more, Rodgers seems to be doing great with those poor WRs Favre had so many problems with, according to you. The only chance a team has in the playoffs with Favre is watching a stupid INT end the season. Favre is nothing without Holmgren on his case to keep him from playing stupid and selfish. He has no concept of team. The guy has so many moronic and completely bonehead INTs in the playoffs from this decade alone. Remember the chuck and duck INT into double or triple coverage against Philly with the game tied that eventually led to 4th and 26? His wonderful second half/OT against the Giants in the championship game? The 4 INT effort at home against the Vikings? Any game at Dallas?

Apologize for him all you want.

< Message edited by Qwixt -- 12/30/2009 3:22:24 AM >

(in reply to sullafelix)
Post #: 22
RE: Brett Favre vs the Packers - 12/30/2009 3:44:35 AM   
KG Erwin

Stop it, guys. Favre is doing well with his new team, while Aaron Rodgers has thrown for over 4000 yards in 2009. Both teams are in the playoffs. For me, the choice is simple. Go, Packers, go!

(in reply to Qwixt)
Post #: 23
RE: Brett Favre vs the Packers - 12/30/2009 4:25:25 AM   
Qwixt

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

Stop it, guys. Favre is doing well with his new team, while Aaron Rodgers has thrown for over 4000 yards in 2009. Both teams are in the playoffs. For me, the choice is simple. Go, Packers, go!

Yay!

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 24
RE: Brett Favre vs the Packers - 12/30/2009 5:45:13 PM   
sullafelix

I have no intention of making this personal. I'm sorry my views disturbed you. Have a nice life.

(in reply to Qwixt)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Brett Favre vs the Packers Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI