Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Very disappointed

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Very disappointed Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Very disappointed - 10/8/2009 8:58:13 PM   
Mynok

quote:

ORIGINAL: Buck Beach

Yes, we get it Mynok!! If fact we get it over and over and over again. Why don't you just stop with your rhetoric. Nothing you say about the virtues of a PBEM game can be thought of as a religious revelation. El Cid was preaching this as has everyone else for years about WITP and now WITP-AE, what a surprise PBEM is better that solo play.

Do you think that your not going to get into heaven unless you succeed in your life's mission to convert the masses?

Rant over but really Jeez Louise!

Ain't ever shuttin up about it. Period. I encourage PBEM because there might be new players afraid of it. They might get enough courage to actually try it if given a little shove. You AI-onliers are the ones taking offense at nothing.

If you don't like reading me, there's a handy little green button down there. Use it. Just like I have.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to Buck Beach)
Post #: 31
RE: Very disappointed - 10/8/2009 9:16:03 PM   
Chad Harrison

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mynok

I encourage PBEM because there might be new players afraid of it.

I just wanted to echo this.

If you have not tried PBEM, it is the best way (in my opinion atleast) to enjoy this game. I have always played vanilla WitP and now AE against the AI, and I enjoy the game against the AI. But theres just something about PBEM. It turns it into an entirely different game. It becomes a much more challenging, much more interesting and much more captivating game. In reality, the only reason I play the AI is to get ready for PBEM.

Granted, everyone has personal taste and opinion. If you have tried PBEM with WitP and did not enjoy it, then enjoy the AI - the dev team has put a lot of work into it. If you have tried other games with PBEM and did not enjoy it, consider trying it with AE. Its a great exerpience and it really makes the game shine!

Chad

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 32
RE: Very disappointed - 10/8/2009 9:17:30 PM   
Mynok

Better said, but exactly what I've been trying to say.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to Chad Harrison)
Post #: 33
RE: Very disappointed - 10/8/2009 9:33:21 PM   
Ketza

Once you play PBEM you will never go back to playing the AI.

Nothing compares to the feeling of knowing the move you just made is making someone cringe in front of a monitor half way around the world.

< Message edited by Ketza -- 10/8/2009 9:35:32 PM >

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 34
RE: Very disappointed - 10/8/2009 9:41:47 PM   
Chickenboy

Gentlemen,

Again, thank you for your very positive feedback re: the PBEM experience that AE has to offer. I've done PBEM and it was fun. I also have had lots of fun with AI. Yes, I went back to AI after doing PBEM. I did it because of convenience, ease of scheduling, etc.

Please see my previous posts for why the "PBEM is better than AI" argument is not the crux of my initial post nor the spirit of this thread that I wished to invoke. Clearly the game HAS an AI experience that is, by all standards, improved over WiTP.

I'm hoping to discuss the limitations of the AI model and make this play experience more satisfactory. PBEM can be a good thing, but it's also a non-sequitor for purposes of this discussion.

Warm regards,

Chickenboy

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 35
RE: Very disappointed - 10/8/2009 9:47:53 PM   
treespider

To me the downside to PBeM would be that some players want to be able to sit down and crank out turn after turn for an extended period of time...which is not possible with PBeM.

With PBeM you have to wait for your opponent to reply which is both the downside and part of the beauty of PBeM...the waiting lends itself to anticipation.

With a game against the AI you can satisfy your anticipation simply by cranking out a new turn ... with PBeM you are forced to wait.

With PBeM you have to commit to a long term game with occasional pauses due to trips away ...with an AI game you can repeatedly walk away for days at a time.

I once was an AI only player ...but now I only PBeM. I play when I want, as often as I want and enjoy the anticipation of waiting for my opponents turn.

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 36
RE: Very disappointed - 10/8/2009 9:53:37 PM   
treespider

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Gentlemen,

Again, thank you for your very positive feedback re: the PBEM experience that AE has to offer. I've done PBEM and it was fun. I also have had lots of fun with AI. Yes, I went back to AI after doing PBEM. I did it because of convenience, ease of scheduling, etc.

Please see my previous posts for why the "PBEM is better than AI" argument is not the crux of my initial post nor the spirit of this thread that I wished to invoke. Clearly the game HAS an AI experience that is, by all standards, improved over WiTP.

I'm hoping to discuss the limitations of the AI model and make this play experience more satisfactory. PBEM can be a good thing, but it's also a non-sequitor for purposes of this discussion.

Warm regards,

Chickenboy

As Andy pointed out ...you did start the game on VERY HARD.

VERY HARD does not make the game VERY SMART.

The game is just as smart on HISTORICAL as it is on VERY HARD.

So certain benefits are given to the computer side to make the encounter VERY HARD.

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 37
RE: Very disappointed - 10/8/2009 10:00:29 PM   
Mynok

quote:

I guess the unsaid portion of my original post encouraging PBEM is the corollary that most of your AI concerns are not going away. I'm certain Andy and Matrix will continue to put effort into the AI, but it IS going to break the rules, and you ARE going to be able to tell.

I'm not trying to discourage you, just trying to lower your expectations for it.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 38
RE: Very disappointed - 10/8/2009 10:07:11 PM   
pmelheck1

I just don't enjoy 2 player in any game.  I have tried it and it's just not my cup of tea.  I don't think 2 player is bad.  I think it should be in AE for the folks who enjoy it.  I'm just not one of those folks.  I some times play games en masse for a while but then do some thing else for a while.  I like AE and might play it for a 2-3 week binge of solid playing but then might not pick it up for several weeks.  A testamony from me to WITP and AE is I have never removed them from my PC sense launch, the only program I can say that about.  I would like to see the AI improved and I know this has GOT to be a topic of discussion at patch meetings.  As I stated earlier AE is a VERY complex program and requires VERY complex AI.  Matrix has been very supportive of the community and I don't expect this to change.  All I do is voice my issues on the boards to try and improve an outstanding product.  But if at the end of the day I'm told something can't be done I will trust it's true (for what ever reason) and accept it.  We all can enjoy games vs. the AI and PBEM, after all it takes all types for the very diverse community we have here.  I know everyone wants as good a game as I want.  Matrix has delivered but it can use some tweaking with out detracting from what an excellent game it is.

I have 2 sons with 3 computers all networked and I really don't enjoy any kind of multi player with them (and yes I have tried several games).  They enjoy the heck out of it and I don't discourage them but I just don't enjoy it.

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 39
RE: Very disappointed - 10/8/2009 10:08:21 PM   
glen55

quote:

ORIGINAL: mullk

For some of us the issue of PBEM has nothing to do with time.  I don't care how long or short PBEM is.  If turns took 15 seconds I DON'T CARE.  I just don't like two player games and I never will.  I NEVER buy any game that is two player only.  I am so disgusted with 2 player games I will quit computers before returning to them.  I do believe Matrix will get the AI working better at some point.  If I didn't think they can fix the AI I wouldn't be here and wouldn't buy anymore games from matrix if they can't program an AI.  AE is a very complex game requiring a very complex AI and from my experience with Matrix they will correct the AI.  But for some of us PBEM is not an issue for AI issues.

I'm like this. I'm not even slightly interested in PBEM. I'm sure it's wonderful and better than playing against the AI for those who like it, I just do not happen to be one of 'em.

(in reply to pmelheck1)
Post #: 40
RE: Very disappointed - 10/8/2009 10:23:52 PM   
pmelheck1

quote:

quote:

I guess the unsaid portion of my original post encouraging PBEM is the corollary that most of your AI concerns are not going away. I'm certain Andy and Matrix will continue to put effort into the AI, but it IS going to break the rules, and you ARE going to be able to tell.

I'm not trying to discourage you, just trying to lower your expectations for it.

I'm only hoping they try to work on it. I understand it might no be possible to improve the AI with anything less than a CRAY. If it's not possible that's fine with me and I'll accept gladly knowing somethings are just not possible. But I'm not about to give up on AE scream "The AI sucks I'm out of here." AE is fantastic and as far as I know nothing on this scale has been attempted before. If it takes Matrix a while to get it right as best they can I'll still be here.

back in my old war game days I remember reading some designer's notes about the game that remind me of AE. Most Grand strategy games for the PC are an amoeba the size of an elephant (lots of hexes and lots of units just not a lot of variation). WITP/AE on the other hand isn't a amoeba but an elephant playing a violin while doing the waltz and singing a serenade.

< Message edited by mullk -- 10/8/2009 10:25:50 PM >

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 41
RE: Very disappointed - 10/8/2009 10:47:28 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

I just don't enjoy 2 player in any game. I have tried it and it's just not my cup of tea. I don't think 2 player is bad.

I have 2 sons with 3 computers all networked and I really don't enjoy any kind of multi player with them (and yes I have tried several games). They enjoy the heck out of it and I don't discourage them but I just don't enjoy it.

Have you tried WITP-AE as a two player game? I don't care for multi-player online games either. I enjoy carefully considering options at my own speed. But if you find a PBEM player with the same preferences, it works fine. And there is nothing that says you can't play with the AI while waiting for the next "real turn". Just hate to see you missing out.

(in reply to pmelheck1)
Post #: 42
RE: Very disappointed - 10/8/2009 10:59:05 PM   
pmelheck1

I might eventually give PBEM a try someday.  But the AI will always be my primary method of playing.  I have no doubts that PBEM is a better experience but the AI is what I enjoy.  The only idea that really gives my and I'm sure others pause is one game taking longer than  the actual war (if you finish the game).

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 43
RE: Very disappointed - 10/8/2009 11:00:12 PM   
Oldguard1970

I play both.

The WITP AI worked great for a while as a practice dummy.  I got weeks of fun from it. After a couple of rounds, however, it was no challenge at all.  I could play against it only by imposing very artificial handicaps on myself. 

So... I stuck my head above my foxhole to find a PBEM game.  Wow!  Talk about tension!  My only complaint is having to wait for the other guy to send me his turn. 

Now I am following the same plan with AE.  Andy Mac's AI scripts for AE should give me lots more pleasure (and training) than the AI did in WITP.  I will get months of fun from playing that way.  However, once I have learned to get past the AI, I will eagerly seek another PBEM.  Playing against a skilled opponent is grand fun!

"Rangers Lead the Way!"

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 44
RE: Very disappointed - 10/8/2009 11:02:49 PM   
Mynok

quote:

I'm only hoping they try to work on it. I understand it might no be possible to improve the AI with anything less than a CRAY. If it's not possible that's fine with me and I'll accept gladly knowing somethings are just not possible. But I'm not about to give up on AE scream "The AI sucks I'm out of here." AE is fantastic and as far as I know nothing on this scale has been attempted before. If it takes Matrix a while to get it right as best they can I'll still be here.

back in my old war game days I remember reading some designer's notes about the game that remind me of AE. Most Grand strategy games for the PC are an amoeba the size of an elephant (lots of hexes and lots of units just not a lot of variation). WITP/AE on the other hand isn't a amoeba but an elephant playing a violin while doing the waltz and singing a serenade.

It's scripted now, so I'm certain there are definitely ways to improve it. However, a lot of Chickenboy's concerns were about the AI cheating. Those....well.....bottom line is those aren't going away. They might change a bit, but two facts will remain:

1) The AI will cheat
2) You will notice

Just the way it is.

As for 2 player, you might be surprised to know that this is the only game at which I'm a dedicated PBEM player. Most of my other games I've had I played mostly against the AI. Had fun doing it too. Most of those other games aren't on my computer anymore either, while this one remains and has since the days of UV.

This one is DIFFERENT folks. I promise you. It is a DIFFERENT game against a human. It just comes alive.

< Message edited by Mynok -- 10/8/2009 11:06:17 PM >

(in reply to pmelheck1)
Post #: 45
RE: Very disappointed - 10/8/2009 11:05:04 PM   
Mynok

quote:

The only idea that really gives my and I'm sure others pause is one game taking longer than  the actual war (if you finish the game).

The scenarios are fun against humans too. That's what I'm playing right now: Guad. Good way to get into PBEM without committing the rest of your sentient lifespan.

(in reply to pmelheck1)
Post #: 46
RE: Very disappointed - 10/8/2009 11:38:11 PM   
Swayin

Whoever said you were sentient? <<poke, poke>

The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 47
RE: Very disappointed - 10/9/2009 12:22:47 AM   
Chad Harrison

Sorry that I am adding fuel to the fire of continuing to stray offtopic from the original post, but . . .

While out picking up my daughters from school, I gave this some more thought. Why do I enjoy PBEM so much more than playing against the AI? Is it just because its more challenging? Certainly, like anything else, people have had bad experiences, or think they will have them, with PBEM. If there was ever a game worth trying the water out with, its WitP:AE. If you have time to play the AI, you have time to play PBEM. I gurantee that there is someone who wants to go at your same pace and there is no rush to do the turns. If its not your cup of tea, thats fine, continue to enjoy the AI.

But the more I thougth about it after my above post, the more I realized that the following things make PBEM so much more enjoyable (for me atleast) over the AI:

1. Theres no going back. Had some really bad die rolls in your AI game? No worries, just reload the last turn and try again. Wonder where the enemy carriers snuck off too? No worries, just load the autosave and take a peek. I know that someone is going to say 'I would never do that' - but come on, everyone has done it at one point or another. I admit that I have - numerous times. I like to see whats going on with the other side. In a PBEM game? Its impossible. FOW is complete and total. Especially with AE's new false positives, you are always wondering how much damage that single torgpedo did to the Kaga until it suddenly shows up off the West Coast with no damage. You will always wonder how much damage your bombardments are *really* causing. How much fuel Japan has in the Home Islands. This actually develops into a game within a game: in your email correspondents with your opponent, you try to (covertly) get information out of him. 'Man, that air attack beat me up pretty bad. How bad was it on your side?'

2. No instant results. The AI is always there and always ready for more. Some see this as an advantage to playing the AI - a couple people have stated this in this very thread. I argue that having to *wait* takes this game to a whole new level. Spend the evening plotting that critical carrier attack and send the turn off. Now you get to wait the next 12 hours wondering whats going to happen. 'Did I remember to set the CAP?', 'I set the transports to unload right?'. Then the turn finally arrives and love the results or hate them, its time to plot your next turn and start the process all over again. I especially like the affect of this because its what real life commanders (not that I would know) experience. You give orders, others carry them out, and you are left passing time waiting for the news on how things turned out.

3. Whats next? Playing against the AI can have its surprises, especially in AE. But in a PBEM game, you *never* know whats going to happen next. You are always in a state of worry that your opponent will suddenly do something crazy and unexpected. Like invade Saipan March of 1942. Dont even get me started on mines. Crafty crafty players!

The end result is a game that you play over the next couple of years. You can still remember with clarity that big carrier battle that happened last year, and you can still feel the results in your game. Even though you were not happy with the results, you kept going trying to make the most of what you have left. In the end, PBEM is fun because it makes this game behave much more like the real conflict: slow, uncertain and captivating.

If you have not tried it, give it a whirl.

(in reply to Swayin)
Post #: 48
RE: Very disappointed - 10/9/2009 2:25:03 AM   
Mynok

quote:

ORIGINAL: Swayin

Whoever said you were sentient? <<poke, poke>

I wasn't talking about me.

(in reply to Swayin)
Post #: 49
RE: Very disappointed - 10/9/2009 3:02:37 AM   
jomni

I'm playing Japan and the cheating AI is actually fun for me.
Singapore just won't fall easily in my game.
In fact, Philippines fell before Singapore because of my crafty maneuvers (got Clark first) that prevented them to bunch up in either Bataan or Manila.

AI sent a carrier force that raided every base from PH to Java.
Lots of transports and DD's sunk there.

I don't want to play a PBEM grand campaign. The waiting is just so agonising.
Smaller ones are good.  But we don't have a lot of limited scenarios as opposed to WITP. :(

< Message edited by jomni -- 10/9/2009 3:04:28 AM >

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 50
RE: Very disappointed - 10/9/2009 3:10:22 AM   
rogueusmc

quote:

Most of those other games aren't on my computer anymore either, while this one remains and has since the days of UV.

You have had AE since UV?!?!?!

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 51
RE: Very disappointed - 10/9/2009 3:13:45 AM   
Buck Beach

quote:

quote:

It's scripted now, so I'm certain there are definitely ways to improve it. However, a lot of Chickenboy's concerns were about the AI cheating. Those....well.....bottom line is those aren't going away. They might change a bit, but two facts will remain:

1) The AI will cheat
2) You will notice

Just the way it is.

As for 2 player, you might be surprised to know that this is the only game at which I'm a dedicated PBEM player. Most of my other games I've had I played mostly against the AI. Had fun doing it too. Most of those other games aren't on my computer anymore either, while this one remains and has since the days of UV.

This one is DIFFERENT folks. I promise you. It is a DIFFERENT game against a human. It just comes alive.

Hallelujah brother. Repent you sinners. We shall overcome. We are big brother and we have ways of making you think our way. All the heretics and Infidels beware. PBEM is the only path to fulfillment and you are a fool unless you conform. Blah, blah, blah and more blah.

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 52
RE: Very disappointed - 10/9/2009 3:19:39 AM   
DivePac88

quote:

ORIGINAL: rogueusmc

quote:

Most of those other games aren't on my computer anymore either, while this one remains and has since the days of UV.

Martians can do things like that, and some other things that you don't want to know about.

When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 53
RE: Very disappointed - 10/9/2009 3:22:22 AM   
rogueusmc

quote:

ORIGINAL: DivePac88

quote:

ORIGINAL: rogueusmc

quote:

Martians can do things like that, and some other things that you don't want to know about.

I'm just feeling short changed right now...I'll be ok...

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 54
RE: Very disappointed - 10/9/2009 3:25:50 AM   
Mynok

Time serves us. We do not serve it.

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 55
RE: Very disappointed - 10/9/2009 3:42:35 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

I just don't enjoy 2 player in any game.  I have tried it and it's just not my cup of tea.  I don't think 2 player is bad.  I think it should be in AE for the folks who enjoy it.  I'm just not one of those folks.  I some times play games en masse for a while but then do some thing else for a while.  I like AE and might play it for a 2-3 week binge of solid playing but then might not pick it up for several weeks.  A testamony from me to WITP and AE is I have never removed them from my PC sense launch, the only program I can say that about.  I would like to see the AI improved and I know this has GOT to be a topic of discussion at patch meetings.  As I stated earlier AE is a VERY complex program and requires VERY complex AI.  Matrix has been very supportive of the community and I don't expect this to change.  All I do is voice my issues on the boards to try and improve an outstanding product.  But if at the end of the day I'm told something can't be done I will trust it's true (for what ever reason) and accept it.  We all can enjoy games vs. the AI and PBEM, after all it takes all types for the very diverse community we have here.  I know everyone wants as good a game as I want.  Matrix has delivered but it can use some tweaking with out detracting from what an excellent game it is.

I have 2 sons with 3 computers all networked and I really don't enjoy any kind of multi player with them (and yes I have tried several games).  They enjoy the heck out of it and I don't discourage them but I just don't enjoy it.

Very nicely stated, mullk.

(in reply to pmelheck1)
Post #: 56
RE: Very disappointed - 10/9/2009 4:26:17 AM   
PaxMondo

I've been playing through the Coral Sea and GUA scenarios as both sides.  So far the AI is making a good game from either side.  Beatable?  Yes.  Push over?  No.

Pax

(in reply to ChickenOfTheSea)
Post #: 57
RE: Very disappointed - 10/9/2009 4:33:50 AM   
SuluSea

I'm playing my first PBEM opponent and I can safely say I'll never get enjoyment out of playing the AI again. The PBEM game is a totally different animal.  Andy did a great job with the canvas he had before him but with so many possibilities in this game the AI will never be as good as a human opponent so it needs help.

< Message edited by SuluSea -- 10/9/2009 4:36:00 AM >

"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 58
RE: Very disappointed - 10/9/2009 6:48:33 AM   
P.Hausser

quote:

After playing against the IJ AI since the game's release (I patched a couple weeks ago), I felt gradual creeping dread settling over my game. No, not due to forcible evictions of my digital troops from Manila, Singapore and the like-but a sense like other posters that something was amiss on the IJ AI side of things. So I took a look.

I feel like someone that has been suspicious of their wife's activities and opens up her email to do a little fact finding. Only to discover that she was having affairs. Lots of them. With a whole football team. During a game. Which was televised. It just gets worse and worse the more you look into it.

Here's what I found:

(currently in March 20, 1942. Was playing on very hard until recently, when I scaled back to 'historical' in an effort to stem some cheating that was likely occuring under the 'very hard' settings. How'd that work out for me?)

1. The Manchuko Garrison is at 6570/8000 required. The Soviets should have activated. Where are those Manchuko troops? One of the divisions landed on the Northern tip of New Caledonia a month or so ago. I don't know where the other 1000+ AV are. In recently captured Rangoon, the IJ have completely evacuated the city, busy chasing my soldiers into North Burma. Not one IJ unit is present, certainly not enough to garrison the city properly. I received partisan activity warnings while replaying the turn.

Looks like the IJ isn't bound by any sort of PP, garrison or operational HQ area boundaries. Is this WAD?

2. I've been getting large numbers of air attacks from Singapore since the IJ took it. Makes sense. Except, even though there's 185 a/c there, there's not ONE aviation support point in the city. Very few planes in repair or maintenance status.

Similarly, looks at other air units across the map revealed very few units with *any* planes in repair or maintenance status. All A6M2 Daitai, for example, were fully manned, planed and ready for action. Looks like the IJ isn't bound by aviation support, aircraft maintenance or repair requirements. Is this WAD?

3. A IJN TF just unloaded an SNLF unit in its entirety onto Tassafaronga last turn to capture it. OK. That happened IRL, no biggie. Except the TF was set to "Transport" rather than amphibious. And Tassafaronga is a 0(0) port size. And the unit was not at all disrupted by this miraculous landing. Looks like the IJ isn't bound by TF composition, load / unload requirements, port sizes or amphibious disruption during unload. I can't imagine that this can be explained away with the early war amphibious alone, can it? Is this WAD?

4. The IJ airforces have lost a huge number of airframes and, presumably, pilots to date. Yet, the available pilot pool for the IJN was 1104. IJA 1935. I've read board proclamations that the available airframes 'boost' that the AI gets was not the problem, but that pilot availability would be the bottleneck for the IJ AI. Looks like that won't be an issue for some time and the IJ gets 'free' pilots (nearly) ad libitum as well. Is this WAD?

5. The existing A6M2 available pool was 1742 with a build rate of 312. The Betty pool was 744 with a build rate of 200. Looks like other posters were dead on about this. Apparently, the AI isn't bound by production parameters for aircraft frames.

I've heard from some folks on other threads that this is *not* working as designed and will be 'scaled back' for patch II. Great news! To further my previous analogy, my wife in my example will no longer be carrying on her salacious behavior with the defensive secondary, although she's not making any promises about desisting with the offensive line.

6. After four months of bitter warfare, the Japanese home islands appear to have massive stores of supplies / oil / resources / fuel. As examples:

Osaka: 999,999 / 997,229 / 887,164 / 432,793
Tokyo: 980,044 / 998,049 / 848,183 / 389,644

Other cities have resources in excess of 999,000 as well.

Is this WAD?

Looks like the IJ won't really be needing Palembang, Balikpapan, Java or Tarakan for some time for fuel or oil. I can't imagine a need in the next 3-4 years for resources either. Why should it bother with capturing these areas?

So, to summarize:

The AI appears to be unbounded by: political points and HQ restrictions; garrison requirements; home island supply, oil, resources, production of / pools of airframes, pilots; TF load/unload limitations, assignments for load / unload; airframe maintenance and repair timeframes. These in addition to the reported and documented 'script' errors.

These oversights / omissions / errors / hackneyed 'bonuses' make the game virtually unplayable versus the AI now. All the clever AI gambits and scripts in the world won't change the overwhelming crush of otherworldly production issues that are going on within my game. I'm just waiting for the Imperial Twin Ion Engine (TIE) fighter production to start for the IJ. You know, 1000 a month-just to make it tough for the human player. That and transporting troops through the IJ Stargate. These ideas make just about as much sense as some of these cheats here, if they're WAD.

For those of you that are out there 'contentedly' playing against the AI: It's a sham marriage, folks. Check it out for yourselves. No clever manuevers will save you from the AI. It will go where it wants to, when it wants to and no rules of the game (or physics) will get in the way. If you consider this a challenge, trying to outwit nonsensical production and replacements, more power to you. I for one have better things to do with my time.

So, back to my wife analogy. I'll ask that she desist and correct the error of her ways (patch II). But with *so much* and such flagrant cheating going on, it seems unlikely that all will be corrected-leaving me heart broken.

When you play the AI then of course expect it to cheat, it is simply necessary for the AI to be able to "keep up" with the human capacity..

It is however a very simple solution to the problem(s) you describe above, Play a Human!

< Message edited by P.Hausser -- 10/9/2009 6:49:45 AM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 59
RE: Very disappointed - 10/9/2009 7:12:25 AM   
Oliver Heindorf

oh boy, is that really this diffcult ?

I think the pbem fanboys dont understand the original intension of the thread starter at all.

To make it more clearly to you think this way :

You own a car brand A. You have problems with it and it needs repair. The poster asks for help.  Instead of helping some ppl start to talk about a car brand B imho but obviously this wont help at all....

(in reply to P.Hausser)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Very disappointed Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI