Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Help - Have I got this right?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich >> Help - Have I got this right? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Help - Have I got this right? - 10/17/2009 10:31:26 AM   
IKL

Hi. I'm playing 43 campaign as allies v AI and have reached Jan 44. I'm experimenting with a strategy to target 1 critical industry, destroy it as completely as possible and keep it so to see what effect it has on the wider industry performance, replacements etc.
I've chosen the rubber industry as there are fewer targets and some very worthwhile ones, and have reduced its points total to 241 (500). I think the manual tells me that this will reduce the output from dependent industries by over 50%, on the basis that their output is reduced by 241/500 when rubber production falls below critical level (500).
Am I talking sense? Which industries depend on rubber and will be affected? Total axis industrial output fell by 4000 points almost instantly when I made a big impact on the rubber production; where have I hurt them in terms of military production?

Thanks for any help with this.
Post #: 1
RE: Help - Have I got this right? - 10/17/2009 12:30:08 PM   
harley

Yep, you got it exactly right...

I once worked out that with RUBBER, once you hit the critical level you get 4 points of damage for every 1 point of Rubber damage. It's coming from ARM - so you're reducing the enemy's ability to replace tanks, arty and AA.

Look out, though - once you hit the critical level, the enemy adapts to it, and the base level changes, so it's harder to maintain the CIL.

gigiddy gigiddy gig-i-ddy

(in reply to IKL)
Post #: 2
RE: Help - Have I got this right? - 10/17/2009 1:09:24 PM   
IKL

Thanks for that. What about effect on aircraft production? Tyres, engine mountings, cockpit and electrical stuff, sexual gratification aids for the crew etc etc? I would have thought various aspects of aircraft production would be affected.

(in reply to IKL)
Post #: 3
RE: Help - Have I got this right? - 10/17/2009 1:11:12 PM   
IKL

Sorry, forgot a bit. Is there a stockpile effect with critical materials? Do I have to wait before I see the effects of reduced rubber production?

Thanks again. This game is SOOOOOOOO improved on the original!!!!!!!!

(in reply to IKL)
Post #: 4
RE: Help - Have I got this right? - 10/20/2009 1:23:37 AM   
kaybayray

IKL,
I have been focusing on Power and Transport. Harder to grind them down because there are so many targets but they are not so well defended as the other standard Critical Industries. So I tend to have more success mission to mission with respect to actually being able reach and hit a target and do significant damage to it.

You might try reading the Strategic Bombing Survey documents that can be found on the web. There are many articles to read from pre and post war. A lot of pre war strategic thoughts and post war tactics tried and results. Gave me a lot of ideas to try. This game is so huge and well made that you can try many different targeting strategies for your campaigns. I love this game. Man it's a real brain twister but very satisfying.

Later,
KayBay

It's all Mind Over Matter....
If you dont mind... It dont matter

(in reply to IKL)
Post #: 5
RE: Help - Have I got this right? - 10/20/2009 1:39:59 AM   
harley

Transport will get you results in a localised area, not so much a global effect. Power will get you incredible results, but with the wide dispersal and many tiny sites can be a hard job to take down.

Back in the old days we had a long topic on power in occupied Europe. The conclusion was that the allies overestimated the robustness and redundancy of the power grid. If they had realised how fragile it was, it may have made a better target than fuel or production. 20/20 hindsight...

gigiddy gigiddy gig-i-ddy

(in reply to kaybayray)
Post #: 6
RE: Help - Have I got this right? - 10/20/2009 2:32:00 AM   
kaybayray

Harley,
I read just that in the Strategic Bombing Survey. There was a lot of information there and my take was that of all the targeting done that which had the most devistating effect was damage to Power and Transport. In several instances it was reported by the Reich that had the Allied bombing offensive focused more on those two criticle industries it may have crippled Germany much sooner.

Having read a lot of other material both pre and post war including those items lead me to embark on my current campaign. However that will be cut short once I receive the new Matrix version this week. My Birthday is next week and it was a tossup between this and WITP. Although I will start anew with the Matrix Version and no longer will my 38's fly to Cologn for tea mid sweep. And my Fighter Bombers will no longer be Fodder. I will be better able to route my strikes with added waypoints.

Just got to figure out how to get BC to hit industrial targets while burning down the Reich and I will be set.

Later,
KayBay

It's all Mind Over Matter....
If you dont mind... It dont matter

(in reply to harley)
Post #: 7
RE: Help - Have I got this right? - 10/20/2009 2:00:21 PM   
Hard Sarge

Oil was the real killer

with out Oil, you don't have to worry too much about transport

Power was only found out after the fact, it was a much weaker system then they thought, but, everything important pretty much had it's own power supply, so it wouldn't be a case of damaging the grid and shutting the whole thing down

(in reply to kaybayray)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich >> Help - Have I got this right? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI