Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: which is your favorite game?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: which is your favorite game? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: which is your favorite game? - 10/10/2009 9:22:07 PM   
Arctic Blast

quote:

ORIGINAL: V22 Osprey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: frontless

Hello please write your favorite game

Spambot in Flames II...

Click frontless' profile and look at his other post.Definitely not a spambot.

I don't know if he is or is not a spammer, but a lot of companies are starting to use actual people to spread spam these days. They'll make a few innocent posts, THEN they start spamming...or they go back and edit their earlier posts and change them in to spam...or they suddenly change their sig in to a bunch of spam links. The spammers are getting crafty.

Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 31
RE: which is your favorite game? - 10/11/2009 3:21:19 AM   
Jeffrey H.

You can't really tell and that's almost a sure sign that it's a spambot or some other sort of troll.

I'll be the first to apologize to a real person who makes and innocent post.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to Arctic Blast)
Post #: 32
RE: which is your favorite game? - 10/11/2009 4:51:16 AM   
06 Maestro

quote:

You can't really tell and that's almost a sure sign that it's a spambot or some other sort of troll.

I'll be the first to apologize to a real person who makes and innocent post.

I doubt that, in this case, there will be any need to apologize.

Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 33
RE: which is your favorite game? - 10/11/2009 5:57:54 AM   
V22 Osprey

Argh, this is confusing.

Art by rogueusmc.

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 34
RE: which is your favorite game? - 10/11/2009 7:47:09 AM   
jackx

Spambot/Spammer (which looks increasingly likely, have a look at that confidence-inspiring homepage link in the profile) or not, the topic works.

To add a few runner-ups to the favourite I started earlier:

- The Battle Grounds/The Battle Grounds 2
- Titan Quest: Immortal Throne
- Fallout/Fallout 2

no truth - no justice
all false belief
blinded by morality
there shall be ... no peace

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 35
RE: which is your favorite game? - 10/14/2009 10:59:42 PM   
milkweg

quote:

ORIGINAL: jackx

Severance: Blade of Darkness

Seriously? I have that game and it is basically just an action 'hack 'n' slash' game. What am I missing? The installer on my copy creates about 20 blank entries in the add/remove programs section for some reason and don't know how that made it past testing. It has done it on any OS I have ever installed it on. I found it in the bargain bin one day and it is a version that is meant for the Euro market even though I bought it in Canada.

I don't have a single favourite game but I will throw in AoD as on of my all time favourites from when I first got into PC gaming. All subsims since AoD use the basic same design features even today.

< Message edited by milkweg -- 10/14/2009 11:01:07 PM >

(in reply to jackx)
Post #: 36
RE: which is your favorite game? - 10/15/2009 12:10:22 AM   
jackx

You're probably not missing anything, it's just me who's liking the game a lot more than can be rationally explained. 

no truth - no justice
all false belief
blinded by morality
there shall be ... no peace

(in reply to milkweg)
Post #: 37
RE: which is your favorite game? - 10/15/2009 5:00:15 AM   
bairdlander2

Pac man

(in reply to killroyishere)
Post #: 38
RE: which is your favorite game? - 10/15/2009 7:38:09 AM   
JudgeDredd

Seeing as we're being silly....Pong.

Seriously though...I suppose I have to pick one of the handful of games I've actually finished in my life (or one that doesn't actually have a finish, like GTR2?)...so a game I've completed.... ... ... ... ...

Max Payne
Call of Duty 4
Half Life 2
Brothers in Arms Hells Highway
Mafia

Each of these games had great graphics...so is that what I'm attracted to? Yes. But that's not really why I completed them. They are all easy to pick up and play, so is that the reason? Yes...but again, that's not why I really carried on playing...they were the games I completed because they had absorbing storylines. That is what I like in a game and that is what makes it a great game imo...The storylines in these games were so good, I didn't find myself wanting to skip the movie sequences like I do in alot of games.

So using that as my personal benchmark, I'd go with Mafia. Brilliant story. Great graphics (for the day). Excellent ending. Control was great throughout. The story grabbed you right from the start.

Of course I understand that my own personal benchmark puts many wargames out of the running. So I would apply a different benchmark...like simply what keeps me coming back. And on that, I couldn't really say as I have nothing in the wargaming world that keeps me coming back. I have loads still on my hard drive...because they are good and I don't want to take them off...but getting "back into" a wargame isn't quite as simple as getting back into an FPS (same problem for flight sims).

Combat Mission Shock Force has an engaging storyline and I regularly fire that up...so I guess on a strategy gaming side, I'd probably go with that.

But then there's Forge of Freedom...Although I haven't picked it up in quite some time, I had the most fun with that as an American Civil War game and would always highly recommend it.

But, in the interests of simplicity, I'm sticking with Mafia a storyline and gameplay that has yet to be supreceded.

(in reply to bairdlander2)
Post #: 39
RE: which is your favorite game? - 10/15/2009 9:14:19 AM   
EUBanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: Silverdog

For me the best game ever has to be Elite.

David Braben and Ian Bell redefined what a computer game could be, and even to this day I’m not sure that what they achieved, with their non-linear game play, has been bettered.

I know this is a stratergy/wargame forum, but even so, Elite deserves a mention.

Amen.

(in reply to Silverdog)
Post #: 40
RE: which is your favorite game? - 10/15/2009 10:47:45 AM   
JudgeDredd

Even though I had a 486SX with 4mb of RAM, it was never enough to run Elite smoothly from what I recall.

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 41
RE: which is your favorite game? - 10/15/2009 3:58:05 PM   
SlickWilhelm

Judge, you just needed the 486 DX2-50, then you would've been smokin'. 

To this day, I can't believe how much prices for computer hardware has dropped. I remember building my Pentium 100mhz system with a 1GB hard drive and 16mb of RAM for about 3k. Dang, that was expensive!

Beta Tester - Brother Against Brother
Beta Tester - Commander: The Great War
Beta Tester - Desert War 1940-42

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 42
RE: which is your favorite game? - 10/15/2009 7:59:25 PM   
mikkey

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Even though I had a 486SX with 4mb of RAM, it was never enough to run Elite smoothly from what I recall.
yeah, I remember the time when I play Elite on my ZX Spectrum...

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 43
RE: which is your favorite game? - 10/16/2009 2:10:53 AM   
V22 Osprey

4MB of RAM??? 1 GB Hardrive??? 100MHz CPU??? How did you guys survive???

Art by rogueusmc.

(in reply to mikkey)
Post #: 44
RE: which is your favorite game? - 10/16/2009 2:50:48 AM   
htuna

lol and it used to be like 100 bucks a mb when you wanted to upgrade!!!

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 45
RE: which is your favorite game? - 10/16/2009 3:17:19 AM   
sabre1

My computer was so old, it had a T-Rex stomp on it before I finally bought a new one.

(in reply to htuna)
Post #: 46
RE: which is your favorite game? - 10/16/2009 6:11:38 AM   
sabre1

What was the name of the RTS game that started on the moon against Russia, and then progressed to other planets? You could jump out of your unit and snipe at the enemy units to take them out.

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 47
RE: which is your favorite game? - 10/16/2009 7:27:54 AM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

Things were optimised to run back then. I would say developers are allowed to be "messy"...the tools kind of allow it whereas back then (early 90's) developers had to create code that ran on the systems. It was difficult though. Still people had to move things (system resources) into hi memory to utilise anything above the base memory 640k because programs needed to use the base memory. I'm not sure of the ins and outs because I was only in training as a programmer then.

Programming languages themselves have become very bloated over the years too. Of course part of that (a big part) is al the extra functionality and flexibility the programming tools gives the developer nowadays.

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 48
RE: which is your favorite game? - 10/16/2009 8:01:44 AM   
Hertston

quote:

LOL... power computing, that was. A few years earlier I actually owned one of these;

It was the top of the range, with a massive 32k of RAM. The others had 8k and 16k. Hard-drive? WTF was a harddrive?

You could still do an awful lot on them though, far more than you would think possible. It was only a couple of years later 'Elite' was launched into the world on the 'BBC' Micro (both C64 and PC versions came later); that too had a whopping 32k. Same with the later generations, in Commodore's case the C64 and the Amiga; the specs considered in today's terms are no reflection of what they can actually do. The Amy is still the best personal computer ever IMHO in terms of pure fun to use and to just play about with; PC's of the same vintage got totally blown away by both Amiga and Atari ST in terms of everything except running Lotus 123.

< Message edited by Hertston -- 10/16/2009 8:03:06 AM >

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 49
RE: which is your favorite game? - 10/16/2009 10:57:06 AM   
E

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

quote:

Things were optimised to run back then. I would say developers are allowed to be "messy"...the tools kind of allow it whereas back then (early 90's) developers had to create code that ran on the systems. It was difficult though. Still people had to move things (system resources) into hi memory to utilise anything above the base memory 640k because programs needed to use the base memory. I'm not sure of the ins and outs because I was only in training as a programmer then.

Programming languages themselves have become very bloated over the years too. Of course part of that (a big part) is al the extra functionality and flexibility the programming tools gives the developer nowadays.

Go back a little more... things were really optimized! Look at Grigsby's Bombing The Reich in it's first iteration... "USAAF" ran in 48k (not m, but k!). The late 80's/early 90's is were the "bloat" really set in. Just imagine what a program could do with all this memory we have now, if it were programmed as tightly as the 48k programs were.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 50
RE: which is your favorite game? - 10/16/2009 7:12:36 PM   
Jeffrey H.

LOL remember swapping 5 and 1/4" floppies on the Apple II+ while playing Ultima ? The power setup was 2 5 and 1/4" floppy drives ! 

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to E)
Post #: 51
RE: which is your favorite game? - 10/16/2009 8:31:49 PM   
junk2drive

I had an Apple IIe with two drives. Made Ultima a lot easier. Then we hooked up a 9" colour TV (with tubes in it) through an RF modulator. Wow, Ultima in colour, not green!

I still have a disk notcher.

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 52
RE: which is your favorite game? - 10/17/2009 12:04:42 AM   
E

I bought a small color TV for use with my Apple ($69 at a TV sale versus a composite monitor for over $250). I had it and the original green screen running at the same time... the green screen for being able to read the text and the color TV for being able to discern the terrain in wargames. I actually built a custom computer desk to hold both the monitor and the TV at the same time. I never got into the DnD type games, but I still have all my SSI, SSG, SimCan, MP & AH games for the Apple!

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 53
RE: which is your favorite game? - 10/17/2009 12:12:14 AM   
V22 Osprey

I'm sure by the time I get old, my kids will be "500 GB Hardrive? Only 4 Core CPUs? Only 8 GB of RAM?", for which by then Terabytes will be as common as a Gig, and 16 core CPUs, 5 Terabytes of RAM, and 500 Terabyte HDs are common place.

Art by rogueusmc.

(in reply to E)
Post #: 54
RE: which is your favorite game? - 10/17/2009 12:40:42 AM   
Hertston

quote:

I'm sure by the time I get old, my kids will be "500 GB Hardrive? Only 4 Core CPUs? Only 8 GB of RAM?", for which by then Terabytes will be as common as a Gig, and 16 core CPUs, 5 Terabytes of RAM, and 500 Terabyte HDs are common place.

I'm not even sure those terms will have any relevance. We (assuming I'm still around) will all be using the same, one, totally integrated quantum computer doing pretty much whatever we want it to do. 'Design your own games' will take on a whole new meaning!

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 55
RE: which is your favorite game? - 10/17/2009 6:03:13 AM   
E

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

quote:

I'm not even sure those terms will have any relevance. We (assuming I'm still around) will all be using the same, one, totally integrated quantum computer doing pretty much whatever we want it to do.

...and it will all be in virtual reality, directly connected to our hermetically sealed living tubes.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 56
RE: which is your favorite game? - 10/17/2009 9:13:11 PM   
SireChaos

quote:

LOL remember swapping 5 and 1/4" floppies on the Apple II+ while playing Ultima ? The power setup was 2 5 and 1/4" floppy drives ! 

Oh my, that brings back memories. Ultima V - four two-sided disks. Ultima VI - only three two-sided discs, but three of these six sides were dialogue; you had to swap discs, twice, every time you talked to someone.

I still think that the guy who invented the hard drive ought to be canonized or something.

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 57
RE: which is your favorite game? - 10/18/2009 1:12:47 AM   
killroyishere

quote:

quote:

Yep and all computers will come with a built in 5000btu air conditioner micro sized down to a penny.

(in reply to SireChaos)
Post #: 58
RE: which is your favorite game? - 10/18/2009 8:20:35 AM   
LordBeluga

quote:

ORIGINAL: sabre1

What was the name of the RTS game that started on the moon against Russia, and then progressed to other planets? You could jump out of your unit and snipe at the enemy units to take them out.

I believe you're thinking of Battlezone -- the greatest classic series remake/upgrade in the history of video gaming.

Until now, I had almost forgotten about this game but now I remember all that time I had sank in it when it was first released... I was never a huge fan of RTS games but this game made it work some how.

Any ways, back on topic, these are the games that ate the most of my free time; Civilization II, Heroes of Might and Magic III, The Operational Art of War III, Dominions III, Close Combat: Barbarossa to Berlin, Dwarf Fortress and, finally, my all time favorite X-COM UFO Defense. For the past decade this game has never left any of my hard-drives and the only classic game that I still enjoy today as much as I did when it was first released. Seriously, I can't add much more to what's already been said over and over about this great game.

As for recently, I've been really digging the recent Close Combat re-releases here on Matrix. Although years and years of playing turn-based games make the real-time mechanics, mixed with the brutal AI, of these games a bit difficult to get used to.

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 59
RE: which is your favorite game? - 10/18/2009 11:13:09 PM   
sabre1

Thanks LordBeluga, that was the game.

Another favorite for me even though it was RTS was Total Annihilation. Weak story but great game play.

HOMM III, sank countless hours into.

The two strategy games I have played the most over the years are SPWAW, and JTCS. WIR comes in a close third.

(in reply to LordBeluga)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: which is your favorite game? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI