Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Inevitability?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> Inevitability? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Inevitability? - 10/19/2009 8:26:37 AM   
Koniev

HI everybody -

I'm considering buying this as I have a new found interest in the Civil War.

One question: Is a Union victory almost inevitable because of it's larger population and more abundant resources - barring some colossal blunders, of course?

I play Pacific War and it's very difficult for the Japanese to win. It is usually considered a Japanese victory if they hold out longer than the historical period.

I've been studying the posts and AAR's and want to thank all who participate.

"Those who don't remember History are condemned to relive it" George Santayana
Post #: 1
RE: Inevitability? - 10/19/2009 8:15:42 PM   
Treefrog

The joy is in the struggle. The game is rich in detail which affords both sides some interesting challenges in opportunities. Both sides are competitive throughout.

Experienced players have, I think, won and lost as both sides.

However, as in WITP, you get a "moral" victory if you do as well as the original conflict.

Good news and bad news is that nobody is keeping track of your victories, moral or otherwise.

Enjoy.

"L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace."

(in reply to Koniev)
Post #: 2
RE: Inevitability? - 10/20/2009 5:15:41 AM   
Torplexed

quote:

ORIGINAL: Koniev

HI everybody -

I'm considering buying this as I have a new found interest in the Civil War.

One question: Is a Union victory almost inevitable because of it's larger population and more abundant resources - barring some colossal blunders, of course?

I play Pacific War and it's very difficult for the Japanese to win. It is usually considered a Japanese victory if they hold out longer than the historical period.

I've been studying the posts and AAR's and want to thank all who participate.

One thing that makes WBTS interesting is that either side can lose a critical leader at any moment. There you are preparing that big push south to Richmond with the Army of the Potomac when suddenly an important corps commander resigns or dies leaving eight brigades leaderless while you try to find an adequate replacement. No two games are alike in this regard. While the game is weighted against the South in terms of resources, they don't have to win the war outright....they just need to keep Lincoln from winning re-election.

(in reply to Koniev)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> Inevitability? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI