Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Continuation war - DerC vs. Kez

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Opponents Wanted >> Continuation war - DerC vs. Kez Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Continuation war - DerC vs. Kez - 6/19/2002 7:04:01 PM   
DerC

June 1943. Peace and quiet of the countryside is shattered by roaring engines, tanks and trucks loaded with Finnish infantry dropping them off near a group of villages and three large hills that dominate the landscape. It's almost morning but the sun hasn't risen yet. Visibility is around 500 meters. Just a few kilometres away Russian artillery is preparing their positions to support their troops ordered also to occupy those hills and villages...

The battle is about to begin!

Finland - Soviet meeting engagement, June 1943
6200 points
No strike aircraft or prelaid mines
Max. 1000pts arty
Vis 9, random large map with forests and villages and a bit of open areas.

I'm playing the Finns and Kez the Russians. Thought this might be interesting since I haven't seen any DARs of the Continuation war or Winter war here on the forum.

At the beginning, the preplotted arty strikes fall. I went all-smoke covering lots of the northern area of the map, more smoke fell at the end of my turn. Kez bombarded my side of the map with 120mm mortars and some offboard artillery. No casualties to mention. My infantry is sneaking forward... No contacts yet.

If you're ever having an argument with an idiot make sure he isn't.
Post #: 1
- 6/19/2002 7:16:16 PM   
Kez

Glorious Red Army marches forwards with the support of 203mm batteries and mortars.
I occupied the lower and middle v-hexes without casualties.
Not much happened, just shot couple finski soldati.

Comrades! A bottle of Vodka to everyone who kills a fin.

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

(in reply to DerC)
Post #: 2
- 6/20/2002 1:06:48 AM   
DerC

Russian tanks have been sighted! A KV-1E in the north and a OT-34 on the central hill. How typical of them to show all their cards at the very beginning. :rolleyes:
Those tanks should be no problem to deal with. We're still avoiding contact with Ivan hoping to surprise him good when we show up! And hey, that vodka might start to have an effect too. ;)

The northern KV-1 starts shooting at infantry squads, so I have to temporarily pull back.

Russian arty CB'ed mine :mad:

Casualties on both sides very light.

(in reply to DerC)
Post #: 3
- 6/20/2002 1:51:57 AM   
Kez

...have you ever seen a magician drop a card on purpose...
Spotted at least reinforced platoon of infantry and two T-34:s... seems like the finnish bastards are trying to flank me! :eek:
Not much casualties yet, just some barbequed finns.:D

"Comrade comissar, we killed a squad of finns."

"Excellent job, here's your vodka. Now proceed as planned."

"Afformative, comrade comissar."

Also occupied the northern most v-hexes now... all I have to do now is to dig in and let finns get killed assaulting the hills. :cool:

(in reply to DerC)
Post #: 4
- 6/20/2002 2:21:05 PM   
DerC

Two burning heaps of wreck metal on the battlefield! :D
My infantry close assaulted a SU-122 and a OT-34 that had strayed too far from their friends. I also chase off some SMG squads that were harrassing my infantry.

The two KV-1s that I've spotted up north are now behind a wall of smoke that will hopefully cover my troops.

Reports are coming from the central sector that at least three OT-34s are trying to break through my lines there. I quickly order to make assaults on the tanks, but the tank killers armed with satchel charges were spotted by the tanks despite all the smoke laid to cover them.

My artillery still seems inefficient. The Russians are constantly getting counterbattery fire at them!

I will reveal my grand battle plan at some point. That infantry moving forward is just a light probe representing a fraction of my true strenght. ;)

(in reply to DerC)
Post #: 5
- 6/20/2002 3:14:55 PM   
Kez

I'm getting guite scared about the situation up north... masses of finns are coming through my flank and I only have two Klim's and some infantry to stop them there. Mortars are trying to help the situation out, but it doesn't seem to work. Finnish infantry spotted in south barbequing my guards inf. squad. Goddamnit, why they dont have weaponry like in winterwar... I'd be facing rifles and lmg's only..

Plan B has now 'operative' status, NKVD has eliminated my stratetic adjutants who were working for the capitalist-pigs.
Soon we will crush the feeble finns.

(in reply to DerC)
Post #: 6
- 6/20/2002 3:46:58 PM   
DerC

...make that one KV less. My captured T34s can pound those side armors as long as they want to with no effect. But as soon as my infantry gets close enough with those satchel charges, those KVs are as good as done :D
KV armor is thick, I'm having problems with one of them charging through the open near the northern VHs. ATG shells just bounce off it!

So far it's going fairly well, but I will have to try taking those victory hexes sooner of later. As they say, offense is the best defense.

(in reply to DerC)
Post #: 7
- 6/20/2002 4:52:51 PM   
Kez

Nothing goes as planned, except "couple" partisans in your back-hexes... Why don't my men listen to me... I have a whole platoon just sitting there waiting to be killed.

Maybe I should stop my mens vodka-drinking... they don't seem to hit anything...

(in reply to DerC)
Post #: 8
- 6/20/2002 5:05:34 PM   
DerC

The tide is turning. It seems the Russian attack strenght has been reduced, so we can finally proceed with our advance. In the south the enemy has had to give a lot of ground, and if some guards inf don't move out of the way fast enough, they'll be surrounded ;)

In the central sector the Russians are only starting to assault our positions. But the riflemen and engineers have had plenty of time to dig in and they won't retreat one meter! :mad:

In the north the SMG infantry is trying to hold back a wave of Finnish riflemen and captured T34 tanks. My artillery barrage hits the northern hill damaging a SU-122 and killing some infantry.

Partisans showed up in the south near my rear VHs. Somehow I know there will be more. :p

(in reply to DerC)
Post #: 9
- 6/20/2002 5:45:41 PM   
Kez

I don't know how long my tired and battleweary infantry can hold out in north. They just sit in their foxholes without listening to orders. :(

Partisans spotted finnish reinforcements and one squad opened fire, maybe too soon because it got almost killed.

I think I'd better dig in and let the finns do all attacking now.

"Finski soldati, come here and you'll get bread for your hunger.":D

(in reply to DerC)
Post #: 10
- 6/20/2002 6:20:33 PM   
DerC

Come on over here and get some butter on that bread :p ;)

The artillery on both sides is quiet this time. In the north I send a platoon of SMG infantry running home with tanks and infantry support. In the south my infantry also destroys some guards inf squads plus a 12,7mm MG.

The reinforcement riflemen hunted down the partisans in the woods and they were all executed as an example. The Russians still seem to be moving forward in the central sector, but their progress is very limited because of the low visibility and excellent defensive terrain there.

Those KV tanks are proving to be a pain. Since I'm not able to destroy them from a range with ATGs or tanks, I'll have to close assault them. This is very dangerous, especially if the tank is a KV-8 with a flamethrower :eek:

(in reply to DerC)
Post #: 11
- 6/24/2002 1:33:08 AM   
Kez

My partisans and finnish infantry had a little firefight in DerC's rear area and partisans died to last men. :(

My guards inf is in bad situation, half of them is fleeing terrified and others stagger around the southern forest without listening orders.

"Vasily, you still have that white flag, do you?"

(in reply to DerC)
Post #: 12
- 6/24/2002 1:49:19 AM   
DerC

In the northern sector I run a captured T34 tank right into an ambush. Two SMG squads throw molotov cocktails at it and the tank goes up in flames :(

Otherwise things are going fine. I'm still making some progress in the south despite moderate losses.

The Finnish HQ just got a radio message from the Sissi troops infiltrating the Russian rear area - they attacked a lightly protected Russian convoy. A few GAZ trucks are destroyed and the guards infantry they were carrying is now running away as fast as they can. The .30 cal MG Jeep assigned to protect this convoy could not assist the trucks. After completing their work, the commandos pop some smoke and disappear in the dark woods. :cool: That's one less russki reinforcement group fighting against my frontline forces!

After we take care of the army we'll come for Stalin and the others ;)

[IMG]http://www.satanet.fi/milpro/kuvat/isot_kuvat/644.jpg[/IMG]

(in reply to DerC)
Post #: 13
- 6/24/2002 3:01:44 AM   
Kez

Guards infantry shows why it's elite infantry. 4 finnish squads on the run and at least one squad is killed. :D
Sissis are eating lead and Klim drives them to open ground to wait for slaughtering. Partisans engage jaegers and destroy one armored transport.

"Vasily, throw that white flag away or I'll shoot you right away!"

(in reply to DerC)
Post #: 14
- 6/24/2002 3:41:20 AM   
DerC

You are only firing at one of the Sissi squads - there are plenty more :D ;)
Sissis destroy one molotov team and surprise a team of conscripts enjoying their rations of vodka in the woods. The belching of their squad leader can be heard miles away! ;) Molotov team is killed instantly but the conscripts even shot back at us before running off! :eek:

Infantry shootouts in the other sectors are also intensifying and the supporting firepower of the Finnish tanks sends some SMG squads running and destroys a surrounded Guards inf sqd in the south. Artillery is also hitting hard on the soviet positions on the northern hill.

Rifle squads continue to hunt partisans in the rear and kill at least a dozen of them near a road running west. A brave scout team also spots some of them trying to sneak around in the north and radios for help.

Those arty-towing tractors, one of which you destroyed, are expendable. :D

(in reply to DerC)
Post #: 15
- 6/24/2002 4:15:57 AM   
Kez

2Lt Antonov is the hero of this turn. He siglehandedly slew a finnish infatry squad with his Mosin rifle :D
Hunted some sissis with some succes, but there's still too much of them near my back hexes. I barbequed an AT-gun trying to hide in the bushes.

I do know that I have done a lot of tactical mistakes and I have badly underestimated the strike capability of finnish troops. I'll try to fix errors that I can, but the end is near as I have to pull back in south and north.
Mortars ran out of ammo..:(

(in reply to DerC)
Post #: 16
- 6/24/2002 8:30:47 PM   
DerC

Woohoo! Another OT-34 goes up in flames, shot by a 50mm ATG. My troops kill some more partisans trying to set up a ambush near a dirt road in the north. My infiltrators are making steady progress and are engaging in firefights with soviet SMG and conscript squads.

The northern VHs are so close, yet so far. They are guarded by a 12,7mm machine gun and a flamethrower tank. Behind those hexes, on the northern hill, there are at least two SU-122s and some SMG and Guards infantry. I wonder where that KV-1 I spotted north has gone.

In the south, my forward observer is attacked by partisans. They fire back with pistols and kill the partisans :D

Perhaps the last of the guards inf squads in the most southern part of the map is eliminated by a T34.

(in reply to DerC)
Post #: 17
- 6/24/2002 9:04:52 PM   
Kez

One more sissi squad fails to exist. :D

When I looked to my trooproster I noticed that I have almost 50% of my troops as casualties :(

This wont probably end well for me. Partisans spotted a reinforcements convoy carrying at least two platoons of finnish rifle squads. My brave partisans tried to stop them, but without results.

South is practically lost area for me. I haven't got any troops left in there. :mad:

(in reply to DerC)
Post #: 18
- 6/25/2002 2:35:27 AM   
DerC

The Sissi-infiltrator activity is increasing - they even destroyed an AUX KV-1! It was sitting all quietly on top of a hill in the south when the commandos walked to it and dropped a satchel charge inside from the open hatch. Seconds later a loud explosion is heard and the tower is blown off the tank. The finns wait with their submachine guns ready for possible survivors, but none are crawling out of the smoking wreck.

In the central sector a captured T34 shoots through the side armor of an OT-34.

In the north engineers and rifle squads close assault a SU-122 and immobilize it. A T34 rolls in to finish the job. Several SMG squads are driven off the hill only to be caught in an artillery barrage behind it.

This is the first time I've actually seen the SO Concripts to be of any use - they are causing some casualties to the Sissi squads.

The partisan threat is countered and the reinforcements can move along. :cool:

(in reply to DerC)
Post #: 19
- 6/25/2002 3:31:51 AM   
Kez

The stupid crew of that Klim was taking a vodka-break. :mad:
But other Klims came to avenge their death and crushed sissis.

Having but handful men left I don't have much to throw in the way of advancing finns. Seeing the inevitable defeat of our forces, my adjutant Vasily hijacks a jeep and tries to defect to finns. Luckily he was shot by finns. :rolleyes:

(in reply to DerC)
Post #: 20
- 6/25/2002 4:12:51 AM   
DerC

I suffer some moderate casualties in the south flushing out the remaining Guards infantry. They really fight like fanatics!

Two flame tanks are now truly in flames - an OT-34 in the central sector and that awful KV-8 on the northern VHs. One of my T34s is shot to pieces by a SU-122 :rolleyes:
Otherwise no major casualties to mention.

Cpt Lahtinen orders his forces on the northern sector to start the final push to destroy the Russian force there and relieve some forces to attack the central hill from the north. Long range recon patrols are already reporting having made brief contact with the Sissi infiltrators behind enemy lines.

In the central sector things are also beginning to lighten up. The attack will hopefully start there soon ;)

The southern sector is a chaos. Soldiers of both sides are trying to stay alive in this hell of artillery fire, burning trees, smoke and shell holes. Both sides are throwing fresh refreshments into this grinder.

The Sissi squads are now in hiding, but more are arriving every turn! :p :)

(in reply to DerC)
Post #: 21
- 6/25/2002 4:42:15 AM   
Kez

Errrr....how did that rifle squad get past my guard inf...?:confused: Oh.. it doesn't matter, now it's dead.
Partisans still keep fighting some jaegers. In north I have lost control of my men. In south there still remains some resistance, not much but enough to keep those finns back. :mad:

To the last man. Nobody surrenders. Huray communism.

Soviet commander Kez Baranoff over and out.

(in reply to DerC)
Post #: 22
- 6/25/2002 5:21:59 PM   
DerC

I lost another T34. However, the central and northern sectors are under pressure from my troops. I destroyed one OT-34 and lots of SMG and guards infantry.

Behind the enemy lines, a sissi squad spots something very interesting - a BM-13 rocket launcer! :eek:
The soldiers start firing their LMGs from a distance and hit! The rocket launcher explodes loudly.

The 203mm batteries are killing me! :mad: Please stop firing them? :rolleyes:

(in reply to DerC)
Post #: 23
- 6/25/2002 7:19:28 PM   
Kez

Ah, those splendid two-o-threes keep chewing finnish infantry to pieces.
Last pieces of defence in northern hexes are running scared to rodina.

Still hunting those annoying sissis... spotted two more squads. Jeez, how many companies you have them? :mad:

Even as we fall today, we go down fighting and knowing that in 1944 we will come again and crush you all! :mad: :mad: :mad:

(in reply to DerC)
Post #: 24
- 6/26/2002 9:58:00 PM   
DerC

The Russians are exhausting their reserves! We are facing worn-out SMG and Guards infantry and poorly trained conscripts.

The cleanup is in progress. Two Satchel AT teams blow up a SMG squad in the southern sector. On the central hill defending infantry squads are driven off and hit by 152mm bombardment. In the north the enemy seems to be retreating. :p

You seem to have misplaced two 120mm mortars, a 12,7mm MG and a scout patrol behind your frontline... My sissi squads were nice enough to clean those up. :D ;)

(in reply to DerC)
Post #: 25
- 6/27/2002 4:32:44 PM   
Kez

Oh yes! a PLATOON of sissis is wiped off. :D I really love these katyushas when used in direct fire :D

My Klims destroy a lone T34 in south, otherwise all quiet.

(in reply to DerC)
Post #: 26
- 6/27/2002 5:05:24 PM   
DerC

The northern sector is calming down now, only some minor firefights and a crew knocked out of their SU-122. The central sector is now under attack from the north and from the west. A KV-8 is guarding the hill the VHs are on, so this won't be easy :mad: I also lost a T34 there.

In the south not much action either.

I wish those 203s would run out of ammo. :rolleyes:

(in reply to DerC)
Post #: 27
- 6/27/2002 11:26:09 PM   
Kez

Not much happened, men are just trying to dig their foxholes deeper. The last line of defence will hold.

My 203's are dangerously low on ammo... but they still have it plenty to kill some finns. ;)

(in reply to DerC)
Post #: 28
- 6/28/2002 12:01:43 AM   
DerC

The last line of defense is now missing a SU-76 and some infantry.

I lost a KV-1E on the cenral hill to a infantry squad :mad:
I couldn't believe that KV-8 was still functional after a shower of 152mm grenades, but it flamed some Jaegers :eek:

Progress is made every turn, but at a heavy cost. :mad:

(in reply to DerC)
Post #: 29
- 6/28/2002 4:01:54 PM   
Kez

A T34 is immobilized behind the northern victory hexes.
I just rally my troops and fall back to better positions.

Otherwise still pretty quiet... maybe the finns are giving it up :rolleyes:

(in reply to DerC)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Opponents Wanted >> Continuation war - DerC vs. Kez Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI