Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Epilogue

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Epilogue Page: <<   < prev  168 169 170 [171] 172   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Epilogue - 10/13/2009 7:33:31 PM   
Monkey

Wonderful CF, thank you so much.

Now, where am I going to log in to each morning, after work and before bedtime to check up on now!!!

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 5101
RE: Epilogue - 10/13/2009 11:53:18 PM   
Dave3L

The AE AAR thread, with Cuttlefish giving his own inimitable take on Mr. Roberts.

(in reply to Monkey)
Post #: 5102
RE: Epilogue - 10/14/2009 1:10:57 AM   
rjopel

BRAVO

BRAVO

BRAVO

I can't even begin to put into words what I have felt reading this novel.

Thank you.

(in reply to Dave3L)
Post #: 5103
RE: Epilogue - 10/14/2009 2:49:06 AM   
tocaff

WELL DONE SIR!

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to rjopel)
Post #: 5104
RE: Epilogue - 10/14/2009 4:28:40 AM   
Feinder

All I can think to say is, "Thank you Cuttlefish".

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 5105
RE: Epilogue - 10/14/2009 5:09:58 AM   
FeurerKrieg

I'll add my gratitude to the growing pile. \

THANK YOU!

Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 5106
RE: Epilogue - 10/14/2009 5:39:45 AM   
T Rav

CF,

I've got great books on the shelves.  They went unread while I logged on to see the current exploits of the Hibiki and her valiant crew.  Like all of your other followers, Thank You.

I now read your AE ARR because it is cogent and well written.  Not to mention, it is my desire to learn more of the arcane art of a good game of AE.  Good luck in the new venue and keep writing.

One word of caution to you and the rest of your loyal readers.  Don't jump back into the same Hibiki style until it calls to you.  It should be a similar (though a different) joy as it was with Hibiki.  If it is an obligation, it will not come from your heart as it seems Hibiki was.  Take all the time you need to jump back into the fray.  That said, if that time is now, I'll be as happy as the rest of your fan legion.

Offered with my humblest regards,
T Rav

< Message edited by T Rav -- 10/14/2009 5:41:07 AM >

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 5107
RE: Epilogue - 10/14/2009 9:54:45 AM   
gladiatt

Must add this :

(in reply to T Rav)
Post #: 5108
RE: Epilogue - 10/14/2009 5:34:55 PM   
SireChaos

Thank you, Cuttlefish.

(in reply to gladiatt)
Post #: 5109
RE: Epilogue - 10/15/2009 10:44:51 PM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

Now, the only question I have is how well did Taiki's brother learn to cope with his altered state?

Post-war Japan was filled with men like Noboru, men bearing terrible scars or missing limbs. Historically these men had a rough time; they were visible reminders of a war that Japan was eager to forget. Noboru has the advantage that his family will be supportive instead of vaguely ashamed of him, and he has a resilient character. I suspect he does all right, though he probably dies fairly young due to his injuries.

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 5110
RE: Epilogue - 10/15/2009 10:55:06 PM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: T Rav

One word of caution to you and the rest of your loyal readers.  Don't jump back into the same Hibiki style until it calls to you.  It should be a similar (though a different) joy as it was with Hibiki.  If it is an obligation, it will not come from your heart as it seems Hibiki was.  Take all the time you need to jump back into the fray.  That said, if that time is now, I'll be as happy as the rest of your fan legion.

I think this is good advice; I need a little bit of a break. That said, I already find myself kicking around ideas and writing little snippets in my head, so maybe it won't be all that long.

(in reply to T Rav)
Post #: 5111
RE: Epilogue - 10/16/2009 2:18:15 AM   
Alikchi2

One last post and thank you from me. Congratulations, sir.

(in reply to Monkey)
Post #: 5112
RE: Epilogue - 10/19/2009 9:52:24 AM   
Wolfie1

This really needs to be stickied, it would be a shame for it to drop off the page

Teamwork is essential - it gives the enemy someone else to shoot at.....

(in reply to Monkey)
Post #: 5113
RE: Epilogue - 10/23/2009 9:06:43 AM   
Durbik

Finally had a chance to chatch up with Hibiki AAR after a month of absence - and found it came to an end. That's sad! But knowing that this particular ship survived the war is a good thing.

Thank you for the story that was the first thing to check in the morning, and last this to check before sleep. Wonderful piece!

< Message edited by Durbik -- 10/23/2009 9:07:17 AM >

obey the fist!

(in reply to Wolfie1)
Post #: 5114
Amazing - 10/26/2009 6:54:12 PM   
NHBL

I was refered to this saga after complementing Jim (Of Letterstime fame on the Naval Fiction board elsewhere on the net) and he mentioned this as the best on the net. Now that I've read it (costing me several days of insufficient sleep and likewise delaying my own war story by a like amount) I have to say that I'm simply in awe. I'll need to reread it soon--reading until the eyes go bleary is NOT a good way to take in every last bit.

I'm more interested in World War One than World War II, (No pesty aircraft carriers, for one thing) but you caught me completely anyway, right from the get-go. If I didn;t know better, I would never expect that it was a report based on a game. On the other hand, using a game might have helped rather than hindered, since it gives you plot options you never might have thought of.

I admire the way you created synpathetic Japanese characters, while still remembering the bad things. A very human face on one of humanity's greatest tragedies. You definately need to make a book, comic book, or something out of this--it needs to be shared with the world!

I stand (or rather, since I'm at a computer, sit) in AWE!

New Hampshire Battleship Lover

< Message edited by NHBL -- 10/26/2009 7:13:10 PM >

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 5115
RE: Amazing - 10/27/2009 7:30:55 PM   
Cuttlefish

Thanks for posting, NHBL. And thanks to Jim for referring you. A recommendation like that from him is high praise indeed.

General note: I am in fact going to make "Small Ship" available on Lulu.com or some place like that. I will need a little time to pull it all together and do some editing, but I'll post something here when it is ready.

(in reply to NHBL)
Post #: 5116
RE: Amazing - 10/27/2009 10:41:40 PM   
tocaff

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 5117
RE: Amazing - 11/29/2009 10:46:17 PM   
Blackhorse

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cuttlefish

Thanks for posting, NHBL. And thanks to Jim for referring you. A recommendation like that from him is high praise indeed.

General note: I am in fact going to make "Small Ship" available on Lulu.com or some place like that. I will need a little time to pull it all together and do some editing, but I'll post something here when it is ready.

Thank you.

WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 5118
RE: Amazing - 12/7/2009 12:54:21 AM   
sachmle

Bravo Cuttlefish! Bravo indeed. I, like NHBL, was sent this way by Jim of Letterstime fame. He was having some self doubt in his abilities and in after my attempt to encourage him he simply responded that I needed to read this before I started offering praise to him. I must say I am simply blown away. Like many before me, and hopefully many after, I too agree that this story deserves to be made into a full book. If not for the folks in Hollywood screwing up a masterpiece I'd dare say this should be turned into a movie. Excellent from the first page to the last. I don't know what else to say without it sounding like hollow compliment so I'll just say BRAVO!!

If stupidity was painful I would be deaf from all the screaming.

(in reply to Blackhorse)
Post #: 5119
RE: Small Ship, Big War - The Voyages of the Hibiki - 12/24/2009 6:16:41 PM   
Kubel

This is Great...what an idea for my next PPEM. Wish I did it for one of the Hong Kong DD's I got out of there in Dec 8th.
Well done.

Don
"Our profession should always be crowned by heroic death in battle" Generalfeldmarschall Fedor von Bock

(in reply to Kane)
Post #: 5120
RE: Amazing - 1/7/2010 4:45:46 PM   
maikarant

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cuttlefish

Thank you so much for this novel, CF! It is indeed good to see that all the effort was maintained, without ever leaving your high standards of writing, until the very end of the game! You've transformed an excellent AAR into a work of art! And thank you too to your opponent, may he safely return home!

And what good news for the readers! :D Well done, and thanks from Vienna, Austria. ;)

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 5121
RE: Amazing - 1/8/2010 5:21:21 AM   
Cuttlefish

Hm, it seems that people are still finding this and reading it. I'm glad, as it was hard to leave it to just gather dust.

Work on a compiled edition is still in progress, by the way. One of these days it might even be completed!

(in reply to maikarant)
Post #: 5122
RE: Epilogue - 1/25/2010 4:32:20 PM   
John 3rd

CF,

For SOME REASON I have just had a chance to read the last 15 pages of the AAR. Well done and well written. I did chuckle at the following passage because I clearly heard Mr. Spock in it:

The Raytheon-manufactured radar makes her old equipment look as though it was made of stone knives and bearskins. The hull-mounted sonar is even better and both its passive and active capabilities would have astounded the old crew. Gone are the reviled 25mm AA guns; in their place are radar-guided 40mm mounts. She still has 5” guns fore and aft, and her lethal torpedo tubes, but there is little doubt that her main purpose is to hunt and kill enemy submarines.

Thanks for a great read. Truly reads as excellent history...

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Monkey)
Post #: 5123
RE: Epilogue - 2/8/2010 5:06:16 PM   
NHBL

I just reread this tale from beginning to end. Once againj, it gave me hours of pure enjoyment--and I saw things I missed the first time. (Reading until you're almost falling asleep does that--and I couldn't STOP!!!)

I could see the evolution of your writing as the work progresed--glorious. If there's ever a book/movie/comiv based on this, I'd snap it up amazingly fast. This is far better than the likes of Tom Clancy and other profesional authors. Fantastic!

(in reply to Monkey)
Post #: 5124
RE: Epilogue - 2/18/2010 11:54:59 AM   
Gaius Duilius

I've just signed up in the forum, but I've been lurking here in the shadows, and I've passed hours reading this AAR.
To say I'm awed would be an understatement. You should seriously consider to switch to professional writing; for what I've read, you would already have a number of aficionados here. Besides, the mere idea of a movie based on the Adventures of the Hibiki... it makes my mind go reeling.
I don't have enough words to express my appreciance and my compliments, kind sir, together with my gratitude for sharing with us such a beautiful masterpiece.
Thanks a lot!

(in reply to NHBL)
Post #: 5125
RE: Epilogue - 2/18/2010 7:25:32 PM   
Cuttlefish

Thanks to everyone who has read and commented over the last couple of months. It is nice to see that the story is still being discovered and enjoyed. Since that last time I posted here there have been several developments:

First, my esteemed opponent, Michael Wolff, aka wolffpack, returned from his tour in Iraq a couple of weeks ago. It's good to have him back safe and sound and I hope to talk him into posting something here once he's gotten caught up with everything.

Second, the hit total here recently passed the 300,000 mark. I have never talked about the hit count here but that's an astounding number for any Matrix forum thread not titled The Thread.

Third, it does look as though "Small Ship, Big War" will be published in book form, one way or another. There's a good chance, anyway. I will post details when and if they become available.

(in reply to Gaius Duilius)
Post #: 5126
RE: Epilogue - 2/19/2010 5:53:36 PM   
BigDuke66

Book form?
YEA!!!

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 5127
RE: Epilogue - 2/22/2010 11:15:35 PM   
british exil

WOW!!!

Just spent the last week reading the whole "AAR".
Was a really great story, caught myself a few times while at work, wondering what the crew on the Hibiki might be doing, only to remind myself that it was a story.

Had to laugh quite a few times too, but caught myself with a few tears building up. (The death of Izu's friend, the baseball match before the captains death.)

Never have I read such a grand AAR.

Just had to wonder at the end what happened to Okuba? (The "evil" crew member.)
And I can't wait to gear what Wolfpack has to say.

Thanks once again.

"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 5128
RE: Epilogue - 3/11/2010 4:43:46 PM   
loyalcitizen

Bought AE in December. Heard about this AAR a week ago. Just finished reading it. Thought I would keep the thread alive and say thanks CF.

(in reply to british exil)
Post #: 5129
RE: Epilogue - 6/13/2010 8:55:39 AM   
thegreatwent

The other day a photo of Hibiki flashed by on my screensaver. My boss noticed and asked me about it, I explained. He is now reading through the AAR and curious about the game. Thanks again for some of the best war fiction I've read.

(in reply to loyalcitizen)
Post #: 5130
Page:   <<   < prev  168 169 170 [171] 172   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Epilogue Page: <<   < prev  168 169 170 [171] 172   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI