Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How do you get rid of the Admin in windows

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> How do you get rid of the Admin in windows Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How do you get rid of the Admin in windows - 11/2/2009 1:16:32 PM   
Hard Sarge

Hi Guys, I remember there was a way to shut down, or bypass the Vista/Window 7 Admin thing

story

my buddy at work, dropped his laptop at home, and busted the screen, he bought a new laptop, and something that will let him move files between his old HD and his new one

every file we try to move, we have to get permission, change settings, and what not

I trying to help, we found the main ones he wanted (for now) Pitchers of a wedding in Hong Kong he went to

I can get them moved over, but once on his new laptop, when I try to open them, it won't let me, I don't have permission to view it (but I had to have permission to move them in the first place, so why, if I had permission to move them, don't I have permission to look at them ?)

(really, hate this whole idea, if I am the owner, I don't need no admin to be running my computer for me, and I don't need no admin, telling me as the owner, what I can and can't open, they really went retarded with this stuff

I can see if it is a work/business program/OS, but not for a home OS)

any help/ideas, would be nice :)

Post #: 1
RE: How do you get rid of the Admin in windows - 11/3/2009 3:23:40 AM   
Aurelian

I think, turn off the User Account Control in Win 7.

< Message edited by Aurelian -- 11/3/2009 3:24:21 AM >

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 2
RE: How do you get rid of the Admin in windows - 11/3/2009 7:20:33 AM   
JudgeDredd

Windows 7 seems to be tighter than a ducks arse. I think Aurelian is correct...switching of the UAC should help.

It is a pita. Even though I am an administrator, I still have to right click and run things as an administrator

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 3
RE: How do you get rid of the Admin in windows - 11/3/2009 8:22:22 AM   
JudgeDredd

Oh - isn't this to do with "ownership" of the drive? I think you have to take ownership of the drive in order to access the files you copy.

One other thing, you could go into the folder of the files you copied and take ownership of those already copied...reseeting permissions and filtering it through the sub folders.

I'm not sure because I'm a programmer not a system administrator...but those things ring some bells in my head.
Post #: 4
RE: How do you get rid of the Admin in windows - 11/3/2009 4:25:30 PM   
Brausepaul

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Windows 7 seems to be tighter than a ducks arse. I think Aurelian is correct...switching of the UAC should help.

It is a pita. Even though I am an administrator, I still have to right click and run things as an administrator

Security-wise this is a very, very good thing. It prohibits unnoticed background processes to do harm to your computer.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 5
RE: How do you get rid of the Admin in windows - 11/3/2009 5:16:43 PM   
Hard Sarge

quote:

Oh - isn't this to do with "ownership" of the drive? I think you have to take ownership of the drive in order to access the files you copy.

One other thing, you could go into the folder of the files you copied and take ownership of those already copied...reseeting permissions and filtering it through the sub folders.

I'm not sure because I'm a programmer not a system administrator...but those things ring some bells in my head.

that might be it, didn't think about the drive itself

and that is the issue, he trying to move stuff from his busted laptop, to his new one

thanks for the advice, will try it tonight

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 6
RE: How do you get rid of the Admin in windows - 11/3/2009 6:46:30 PM   
NefariousKoel

In XP pro you should be able to "take control" of the files.  However, if that doesn't work (or in XP Home)...

*Reboot into Safe Mode.  Rt click and Properties.  It's in there somewhere - should mention 'take control' or 'ownership'. (not on winxp right now).

Ownership is file/folder specific. I've done this a number of times before since most people want their My Docs folder backed up and it's generally only set to the user login for it so taking the HDD out and backing up w/ a different computer is a no-go until you take ownership of the folder(s).

< Message edited by NefariousKoel -- 11/3/2009 6:47:40 PM >

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 7
RE: How do you get rid of the Admin in windows - 11/3/2009 7:32:24 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

Microsoft wants to protect us from ourselves

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 8
RE: How do you get rid of the Admin in windows - 11/3/2009 9:28:29 PM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brausepaul

quote:

Security-wise this is a very, very good thing. It prohibits unnoticed background processes to do harm to your computer.

Ok - in some instances. But I'm a programmer...I can tell the difference between something that's executed by a user and something that is run by another process.

And whilst we are talking about it, what's with the question every god damn time I run it. It's a game. It's my game and I installed it. I already answered your bloody question before...why are you asking me again!?

I wonder if there's a way to say "Don't ask me about this exe again"?

(in reply to Brausepaul)
Post #: 9
RE: How do you get rid of the Admin in windows - 11/4/2009 7:43:19 AM   
JamesM

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brausepaul

quote:

Ok - in some instances. But I'm a programmer...I can tell the difference between something that's executed by a user and something that is run by another process.

And whilst we are talking about it, what's with the question every god damn time I run it. It's a game. It's my game and I installed it. I already answered your bloody question before...why are you asking me again!?

I wonder if there's a way to say "Don't ask me about this exe again"?

I turned it to the lowest setting and do not get those messages any more.

Now I get a message saying that it was a faulty install even though I have successfully installed the software.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 10
RE: How do you get rid of the Admin in windows - 11/4/2009 3:11:18 PM   
Nikademus

Just installed Windows 7 professional. UAC is a good idea in principle and Mac OS-X uses something similar....only it wasn't as obnoxious as Vista's version which even my non-tech GF couldn't stand and begged me to turn off for her on her HP laptop. Its supposed to be customizable now but havn't had a chance to play with it. Probably the best policy remains to use a limited "user" account as your main use logon and only log on as an admin when you want to change or install something. That does the job of UAC even more effectively than UAC since a virus can't use your limited account to install anything on your system.

(in reply to JamesM)
Post #: 11
RE: How do you get rid of the Admin in windows - 11/4/2009 11:21:21 PM   
milkweg

quote:

Set them to run permanently as admin by selecting the files properties and checking the box that says run as admin. I do that for all games I install except games designed to run on Vista and Win7. This issue is game developers fault and not Microsoft's. In fact, part of the big reason we have such tighter control on Windows now is thanks to developers overwriting our system files with their sometimes incompatible versions. The other reason is noobs refusing to run in a limited user account as you are meant to.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 12
RE: How do you get rid of the Admin in windows - 12/28/2009 11:08:21 AM   
priya678

You have to boot the computer into Safe mode,
(Take any bootable CD or DVDs out of the drives, press F8 repeatedly while booting, do not hold down the key, and choose Safe mode or Safe mode with networking from the boot choices menu)
then log on as Administrator, and if a password is required, you must provide it.
Once you are logged on as Administrator, you can change the priviledges of the other users to be the same as for the administrator.If there is a password, the relative(s) should know it.
If they don't remember what it is, or if they don't know what it is, they may be able to find out what it is at the "work" they got it from.If you need a password but can't determine what it is, you can only legally change your situation by re-loading the original brand name software installation on the C drive, or by re-loading Windows from scratch from a regular Windows CD.All 2000 and XP Windows installations have a default Administrator user, and at least one other user. You cannot delete that default Administrator user. You only have access to that user, you can only log on to that user, in Safe mode.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> How do you get rid of the Admin in windows Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI