Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

General Frustration

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> General Frustration Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
General Frustration - 11/2/2009 4:40:01 PM   
Steve Petersen

SPWAW is a lot of fun...for a while.

After umpteen 'Draws' it starts to lose its appeal.

Maybe I'm a lousy general.

I have the characteristics to 100% for nearly all games. But this probably does not reflect the reality of any given scenario. Troop quality etc. will be different for each. Other than doing a lot of historical research then trying to guess what values to use that would make the game more 'real' there seems to be no way to bring historical quality to any scenario.

Could these values not have been set when the scenario was created? Occasionally a scenario brief may instruct you to adjust some values, but this is rare.

Also, why do scenarios sometime terminate before the game has finished? How many time have I been on the cusp of seizing an objective to have the game terminate on turn 15 of 20.

3rd Support Command: Sustaining the Line!
Post #: 1
RE: General Frustration - 11/2/2009 5:58:03 PM   
planner 3

Steve go to www.spwaw.com and look up Enhanced mod and Low Casualties setups, they are, the latter, various settings that in my opinion work real great with games agin the AI. They were designed for C&C play but they work great.  If you have any probs I'll point you in the corerect direction, also check on the academy while your there.

"As Pogo said, 'We have met the enemy and he is us' "

(in reply to Steve Petersen)
Post #: 2
RE: General Frustration - 11/2/2009 6:11:04 PM   
Shawkhan

SPWAW is one of those rare games that all too accurately reflect the reality of WWII combat. In order to do well, one must use actual tactics. Behaving like Rambo will only get your forces killed. I would suggest you visit the Help section of the spwaw depot in order to study up on effective tactics. They even have an academy over there which anyone can join and learn how to succeed.
I myself  never had any problems taking all the objectives in a scenario or campaign game but I would have exorbitant losses in doing so. Using the proper tactics to keep my own losses down, I now have a decisive victory in about 80% of my encounters.
Join the academy and end your frustration.

(in reply to planner 3)
Post #: 3
RE: General Frustration - 11/2/2009 11:09:57 PM   
JEB Davis

These are the settings that produce the most realism (to me) that I have dubbed "Low Carnage". And yes, I never miss an opportunity to promote them.

Attachment (1)

Reduce SP:WaW slaughter, "Low Carnage":
Settings: 80Spot,80Hit,100R/R,XXXTQ,110TkT,150InfT,180AvSoft,130AvArm,150SOFire / Command & Ctrl ON / AutoRally OFF
Enhanced http://enhanced.freeforums.org
Depot https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/spwawdepot/

(in reply to Shawkhan)
Post #: 4
RE: General Frustration - 11/2/2009 11:24:28 PM   
JEB Davis

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Petersen
I have the characteristics to 100% for nearly all games. But this probably does not reflect the reality of any given scenario. Troop quality etc. will be different for each. Other than doing a lot of historical research then trying to guess what values to use that would make the game more 'real' there seems to be no way to bring historical quality to any scenario.

If a scenario doesn't say otherwise, assume it was made to play using settings of 100. But this doesn't mean it will not play well using Low Carnage settings. The play balance may be changed however, and I can't predict exactly how.

You could help us out if you are more specific about what you mean by this "there seems to be no way to bring historical quality to any scenario"

quote:

Could these values not have been set when the scenario was created? Occasionally a scenario brief may instruct you to adjust some values, but this is rare.

There is not a way for a scenario designer to set the prefs for you, because the prefs are saved in your own "steel.prf" file.

quote:

Also, why do scenarios sometime terminate before the game has finished? How many time have I been on the cusp of seizing an objective to have the game terminate on turn 15 of 20.

This will happen if either side has it's force morale broken. Details of the conditions that cause this are in the game manual PDF which you can find in your start menu.

Reduce SP:WaW slaughter, "Low Carnage":
Settings: 80Spot,80Hit,100R/R,XXXTQ,110TkT,150InfT,180AvSoft,130AvArm,150SOFire / Command & Ctrl ON / AutoRally OFF
Enhanced http://enhanced.freeforums.org
Depot https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/spwawdepot/

Post #: 5
RE: General Frustration - 11/3/2009 5:34:22 PM   
Steve Petersen

quote:

ORIGINAL: JEB Davis

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Petersen

If a scenario doesn't say otherwise, assume it was made to play using settings of 100. But this doesn't mean it will not play well using Low Carnage settings. The play balance may be changed however, and I can't predict exactly how.

You could help us out if you are more specific about what you mean by this "there seems to be no way to bring historical quality to any scenario"

quote:

There is not a way for a scenario designer to set the prefs for you, because the prefs are saved in your own "steel.prf" file.

quote:

This will happen if either side has it's force morale broken. Details of the conditions that cause this are in the game manual PDF which you can find in your start menu.

When I said 'historical quality' remark, I guess what I was trying to say was that I really don't know how a person would translate the historical troop quality to meaningful preferences.

Thanks for all you help here.

3rd Support Command: Sustaining the Line!

(in reply to JEB Davis)
Post #: 6
RE: General Frustration - 11/5/2009 12:27:05 AM   
vahauser

Steve Petersen,

Go to SPWAW(dot)com and join the Depot Academy. The learning curve for this game is pretty steep and the Depot Academy will help you. Also, read the AARs and DARs from other players. They can be very helpful.

Post #: 7
RE: General Frustration - 11/8/2009 5:49:55 PM   
Krec

forget the word  "draw"  just look at the score. best score  wins  .  So many factors go into how it is arrived at i wont bore you,  but i will say that protecting and not losing you high priced /high exper units,  while killing as many of yor opponents is the best way to win. i have won many times by only controling my own victory hexes. Killing high price units is the key.  Rule of thumb is any unit over 150ish is what i would call high priced.  You could win with just killing a tiger while not losing much yourself.  just my thoughts

Krec 

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country." Patton

(in reply to vahauser)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> General Frustration Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI