Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Playing as USSR. War with Germany in June 1940

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> WW2: Time of Wrath >> The War Room >> Playing as USSR. War with Germany in June 1940 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Playing as USSR. War with Germany in June 1940 - 11/1/2009 9:46:51 AM   
phillipcs

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this.

Playing as USSR, knocked out Finland by April 40. Then invaded the Baltic countries in May.
Then the option about demanding territory from Rumania came up in June 1940. (USSR went with demand the territory) At the time Rumania was not part of the Axis. According to the Report History Rumania looked for help, but Germany turned them down. However next turn Rumania joined the Axis and the USSR were then at war with Germany and Rumania in June 1940.

Germany is still fighting the French and has just taken Paris in August 1940. USSR is fighting in the Baltic states and crossing into Rumania. And soviet troops have reached Warsaw. Hungary has now joined the Axis.

Question (As Stalin to his generals at a meeting of Stavka) Do we advance into Germany and Rumania? With all the effectiveness penalties applied to the Soviet forces? Or dig in and hold and wait for the fall of France. Or maybe defence on the German boarder and try and knock out Rumania and its oilfields.
Post #: 1
RE: Playing as USSR. War with Germany in June 1940 - 11/1/2009 3:45:51 PM   
Flaviusx

No. Ride out the disorganization period and build up your forces. On no account should you commit them to an offensive, especially your very expensive armor. Germany can stop a Soviet offensive cold with a cheap screen of infantry divisions. Make them come to you. The lovely thing here is, by the time they get around to marching into Russia, the disorginization period will be over and you can have strong units sitting in fort hexes all along the frontier. And your economy will be rapidly increasing, and you'll have few or no losses to replace while the Germans are committed to the west.

Congratulations, you've won the war, pretty much. The surprise effects are the best opportunity for the Germans to make deep gains into the USSR and cripple the Red Army. They've lost that here. You need not take any chances at all, just sit tight and build up the Big Red Steamroller, don't unleash it prematurely.

(in reply to phillipcs)
Post #: 2
RE: Playing as USSR. War with Germany in June 1940 - 11/1/2009 5:47:29 PM   
phillipcs

Well I did take Warsaw and Konigsberg and pushed some forces west of Warsaw. However came up against two powerful Panzer Corps. Which smashed my advance forces. So I think I will throw a up a screen of Infrantry Divisions and pull back my main forces into Russia. On the Rumanian front I have captured the city of Ploiesti and its oilfields. And surrounded and destroyed a couple of Romanian Corps.
France has surrendered and so German forces are rapidly being transfered to the Eastern Front.

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 3
RE: Playing as USSR. War with Germany in June 1940 - 11/1/2009 10:57:56 PM   
17russia

quote:

ORIGINAL: phillipcs

Well I did take Warsaw and Konigsberg and pushed some forces west of Warsaw. However came up against two powerful Panzer Corps. Which smashed my advance forces. So I think I will throw a up a screen of Infrantry Divisions and pull back my main forces into Russia. On the Rumanian front I have captured the city of Ploiesti and its oilfields. And surrounded and destroyed a couple of Romanian Corps.
France has surrendered and so German forces are rapidly being transfered to the Eastern Front.

Look at the bright side the USSR will be building more WE and you have some buffer lands. Just delay the germans until bad weather and keep them west of Keiv & Moscow. The shock will wear off after a while. level 3 inf & armor is more than enough to deal with the germans.

“I got a great deal on some French WW2 army surplus guns. Never used and only dropped once...”

(in reply to phillipcs)
Post #: 4
RE: Playing as USSR. War with Germany in June 1940 - 11/2/2009 3:47:19 PM   
micheljq

quote:

ORIGINAL: phillipcs

Question (As Stalin to his generals at a meeting of Stavka) Do we advance into Germany and Rumania? With all the effectiveness penalties applied to the Soviet forces? Or dig in and hold and wait for the fall of France. Or maybe defence on the German boarder and try and knock out Rumania and its oilfields.

Advance but be cautions, if Warsaw is not well defended encircle it and go for it. Use your airplanes for recon to see if some panzer divisions/corps are on the way. You could be able to take Warsaw and knock hard Rumania hard before the germans react with strenght.

Michel Desjardins,
"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte after the battle of Waterloo, june 18th, 1815

(in reply to phillipcs)
Post #: 5
RE: Playing as USSR. War with Germany in June 1940 - 11/3/2009 10:12:21 AM   
phillipcs

Well its august 41 and I have knocked out Rumania and then Bulgaria (Who declared war in April 41)
But the Germans are pushing the soviets back. Their powerful Tank Corps are smashing holes in my defence. Trying to extract all my Tank Armies. I made bad use of them. Need to use them to hit hit german break throughs. The lines are similar to July 41 but with my troops in Bulgaria and Rumania.

Interesting campaign though compared to the normal 41 start.

(in reply to phillipcs)
Post #: 6
RE: Playing as USSR. War with Germany in June 1940 - 11/3/2009 1:21:25 PM   
Flaviusx

Forget the Balkans.

The worst part of this is: you've simplified Axis logistics. They're going to take that stuff back from you and the PPs will go directly into German coffers rather than to build crappy Romanian and Bulgarian units that get in the way of real German troops.

If you had just sat tight you could have stopped the Axis cold at the frontier or near enough.

(in reply to phillipcs)
Post #: 7
RE: Playing as USSR. War with Germany in June 1940 - 11/3/2009 2:31:44 PM   
micheljq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flaviusx

Forget the Balkans.

The worst part of this is: you've simplified Axis logistics. They're going to take that stuff back from you and the PPs will go directly into German coffers rather than to build crappy Romanian and Bulgarian units that get in the way of real German troops.

If you had just sat tight you could have stopped the Axis cold at the frontier or near enough.

About the rumanian and bulgarian PPs centers (cities and others), if they were taken by the russians, if the germans take them back won't they produce less PPs because of "conquest" damage?

Michel Desjardins,
"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte after the battle of Waterloo, june 18th, 1815

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 8
RE: Playing as USSR. War with Germany in June 1940 - 11/3/2009 2:52:50 PM   
Mike Parker

I have to agree with Flaviusx.  You should have restrained yourself.  Kill the Romanian army, take Kishinev for a nice supply point.. but under no circumstances knock Romania out of the war.  You want this Axis PP's to be producing crappy Romanian units which are useful for little more than garrisoning backwater conquests.

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 9
RE: Playing as USSR. War with Germany in June 1940 - 11/3/2009 10:17:55 PM   
phillipcs

Damn

Yes I have lost Rumania and Bulgaria. Was hoping to stretch their armies. Well its Jan 42 and there are near Smolensk and at the defences of Lenningrad and Kiev has just fallen.

(in reply to Mike Parker)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> WW2: Time of Wrath >> The War Room >> Playing as USSR. War with Germany in June 1940 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI