Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Governor action

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Governor action Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Governor action - 11/5/2009 11:58:49 PM   
GrouchyXe

Hi,

I have -15 horses / turn because of governor action ???

What can I do ?
Post #: 1
RE: Governor action - 11/6/2009 1:36:35 AM   
Randomizer

Managing Governor's can be a game in itself, it's easy to really hate some of them at times.  What you're seeing means he is against horse production and the only ways to improve a Governor's attitude so that he will support the war effort or at least be indifferent (do nothing) are:

1.  If he requests or demands infrastructure, buildings or troops, give them to him;
2.  Find a general from his state and promote him; or
3.  Hope the S.O.B. gets defeated in the November elections (always providing that his term is up).

Getting a Governor with a negative attitude sweet on the war effort is near impossible so I tend to hope the electorate kicks him out without electing somebody worse.

(in reply to GrouchyXe)
Post #: 2
RE: Governor action - 11/6/2009 6:45:37 PM   
SlickWilhelm

or 4. Disable Governors in the game. While they add another element of historical accuracy and challenge, I got so tired of them asking to have friends appointed to commands that would reduce my container rankings, that I finally gave up and disabled them.

I may turn them back on sometime, but for now they are one less headache to have to deal with while learning how to play the game. YMMV, of course.

Beta Tester - Brother Against Brother
Beta Tester - Commander: The Great War
Beta Tester - Desert War 1940-42

(in reply to Randomizer)
Post #: 3
RE: Governor action - 11/6/2009 11:46:08 PM   
Randomizer

Slick Wilhelm wrote:
quote:

or 4. Disable Governors in the game.

You are correct of course and since I have found the Governor aspect of FoF so different and mostly unique for a wargame, the thought of disabling it just never occured.

Regardless of how frustrating it can be the Governor's really add some period flavour of the situation and the personalities. To be sure it's not a perfect system but it does give one an appreciation of the reasons why both Lincoln and Davis needed to widen the powers of their respective federal goverment to prosecute their war efforts despite personal and political convictions to the contrary.

That's my $0.02 (less 15% because Burton of Delaware is acting like an idiot again)...

Cheers

(in reply to SlickWilhelm)
Post #: 4
RE: Governor action - 11/6/2009 11:49:33 PM   
terje439

I think that the governors can be a pain at times
(espesially when demanding buildings that serves no real purpose in their state, like barracks in Florida),
but I leave them on as they make the game even more challenging.
In a few pbem games as the Union I lost the game cause I was too occupied with satisfying the governors...next game I lost cause I ignored them

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to Randomizer)
Post #: 5
RE: Governor action - 11/7/2009 10:14:13 AM   
GrouchyXe

Yes disabling governors is for me a no way because it is really so great.

I have not yet made any troops or ressource prosecution requisistions on any state but I have always rejected offers for staff and I have furthermore decreased generals according to my plans and regardless of governors actions. For instance moving Butler from 4 star to 1 star was a nice one :)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 6
RE: Governor action - 11/7/2009 12:58:50 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: GrouchyXe

Yes disabling governors is for me a no way because it is really so great.

I have not yet made any troops or ressource prosecution requisistions on any state but I have always rejected offers for staff and I have furthermore decreased generals according to my plans and regardless of governors actions. For instance moving Butler from 4 star to 1 star was a nice one :)

Completely agree with you here, YOU not the Govs should decide where the troops are needed, and I never accept governor demands to appoint staff members. And the demotion of generals is a must!

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to GrouchyXe)
Post #: 7
RE: Governor action - 11/8/2009 1:32:16 AM   
Gil R.

As I recall -- and I'm in a foreign country, far from the manual -- governors' attitudes are also impacted by how the war is going. So if you have some big victories I think that might raise their attitude.

I'm glad people like the governors. Putting them in the game was Eric's (=programmer/lead developer) idea, and he and I both thought it would take me a few days to do the research and create the data files, but then I started to get into it... and took several weeks. (The bios on the Overview screen reflect this.) I ended up reading whatever I could that was on the Web in order to get an idea of their political leanings, and also -- much more difficult -- figured out when they had to run for reelection and who their opponent was (and, if I couldn't learn who opposed them, which prominent politicians might have run). I was shocked to find that back then some states had governors run every year, or every other year. So, I think it can be safely said that FOF is the first wargame with a historically accurate schedule of gubernatorial elections!

< Message edited by Gil R. -- 11/8/2009 3:08:56 PM >

Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 8
RE: Governor action - 11/8/2009 2:16:31 PM   
GrouchyXe

Huge, nice and appreciated work that give a big added value to the game.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 9
RE: Governor action - 11/8/2009 6:42:27 PM   
GShock

It's a BIG thing in the game, you MUST keep them happy and that's it. Wonderful idea, unique in its kind. 

<<<END OF TRANSMISSION>>>

How long will you pretend you can't do anything about it? Support www.animalsasia.org

(in reply to GrouchyXe)
Post #: 10
RE: Governor action - 11/9/2009 8:11:51 PM   
SlickWilhelm

I love how some of the Generals will quit if you demote them. VERY historical and a nice touch! 

Beta Tester - Brother Against Brother
Beta Tester - Commander: The Great War
Beta Tester - Desert War 1940-42

(in reply to GShock)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Governor action Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI