Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

imperial way 2/26

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> imperial way 2/26 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
imperial way 2/26 - 6/21/2002 8:36:43 PM   
zed

In 1936 there was a military revolt in Tokyo. The cabinet and Prime Minister were targets of a group of officers that wanted to end government corruption and were against Japanese conquest of China. The revolt was put down. By this time in Japanese history politics were in the hands of the military anyway. and the only way to stop an expansion of the war on the mainland had to come from the army. I believe Japan lost the Pacific war in China - in 1945 there were more troops in china than japan, and most of the Japanese Army 1941-1945 had been in China. If the revolt had been successful there would have been no incident at Marco Polo Bridge in 1937 that led to invasion of China.
What would ww2 in the pacific been like w/o Japanese involvment in china? Would it have made any difference?
Post #: 1
- 6/21/2002 10:18:24 PM   
mdiehl

An interesting question, but one that leads to so many different possible "parallel" universes it's hard to decide which among them to discuss.

Without a Japanese occupation of China (unlikely, IMO, because of the heightened ethnic nationalism in Japan during their depression) there's no war. The US, UK and NEI compete economically in China and perhaps, to a certain degree, evolve a kind of cooperation that de-escalates the tension and mutual distrust. No steel embargo. No Oil embargo. No Southern Resource Area expansion. French Indochina stays a corrupt and backward place as do the NEI. Maybe no Viet Nam War for the US. No "North" Korea, hence, no Korean war.

Let's see. The European war ends two years faster. Yamato's first action is a sortie (based from New York) against KM Bismarck, which ends in a decidedly rapid IJN victory. Kido Butai supports operations against the Italians in the Med, but after losing all their AO/ACV conversions and passenger liner CV conversions to German subs, Kido Butai begins operating from the deck of USS Yorktown II (which is named USS Tsushima Straits in this universe).

This is actually a rather amusing exercise. But of course completely trivial.

(in reply to zed)
Post #: 2
- 6/24/2002 10:33:36 PM   
corbulo

I see they added a scenario, #19, in UV reflecting this very thing - no army commitments on the asian land mass

virtute omne regatur

(in reply to zed)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> imperial way 2/26 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI