Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: A needed fix for allied production

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich >> RE: A needed fix for allied production Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: A needed fix for allied production - 11/4/2009 7:10:23 PM   
von Shagmeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nicholas Bell

As has been mentioned before, the radar coverage was nowhere near as complete because the radars didn't have 360 coverage. The fighters didn't have an equivalent to the RAF Pipsqueak, so when they were out of radar coverage ground control didn't know where they were. We do of course, with extreme accuracy. While the game does include altitude inaccuracies, there apparently is no range inaccuracies (range from radar to target) which would create actual location inaccuracies. Remember they didn't have the PPI radar scopes we all familiar with (round scope with rotating radar line).

Hi Nick,

Many types of Freya variant (the most common air warning radar) had fully rotatable aerials by the start of the BTR period and Drey-Freya sets had PPI displays.

I believe the CH & CHL aerials used by the British during the BoB were fixed thus offering limited arcs of azimuth (maybe someone could confirm this as I'm not 100% on early war British equipment).

The Lw. command and control system was indeed cumbersome and the gods eye view we get as the defending player in BTR is far superior to what the defenders in RL would of had.

Best Regards

von Shagmeister

EDIT: Typos

< Message edited by von Shagmeister -- 11/4/2009 8:01:06 PM >

Per Speculationem Impellor ad Intelligendum

(in reply to Nicholas Bell)
Post #: 121
RE: A needed fix for allied production - 11/6/2009 5:30:05 PM   
Nicholas Bell

Could be wrong, but I thought the first German panoramic radars were the Jagdschloss and Berlin types.  I believe the Freya systems were steerable which allowed them to rotate and scan areas of the sky, or follow a raid.  But they did not continuously rotate to provide a full constant 360 view as the radars do in the game.  That's my understanding anyway - not trying to be argumentative.

(in reply to von Shagmeister)
Post #: 122
RE: A needed fix for allied production - 11/6/2009 5:52:07 PM   
Hard Sarge

but seeing as how the radar zones overlap, and overlap by a lot, wouldn't the next in line be picking up the raids as they came in, and the front line, return to scanning the front line again ?

plus we are past the time, when they were locking onto one plane and then tracking that one plane while trying to guide another plane to it (at night)

Post #: 123
RE: A needed fix for allied production - 11/6/2009 9:29:03 PM   
von Shagmeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nicholas Bell

Could be wrong, but I thought the first German panoramic radars were the Jagdschloss and Berlin types.  I believe the Freya systems were steerable which allowed them to rotate and scan areas of the sky, or follow a raid.  But they did not continuously rotate to provide a full constant 360 view as the radars do in the game.  That's my understanding anyway - not trying to be argumentative.

Certainly earlier variants of the Freya were manually swept by the operator, I'm not sure if later Freya variants were mechanically swept or not (some probably were if using a PPI display). Like you say Jagdschloss was an omnidirectional radar in the modern sense (I'm not familiar with Berlin air warning radar).

No radar in the WWII period could provide a constant 360° panoramic view, whether mechanically slewed or manually rotated. Even modern electronically swept phased arrays require significant processing power to fill in the gaps in coverage between the main lobe being swept.

von Shagmeister

Per Speculationem Impellor ad Intelligendum

Post #: 124
RE: A needed fix for allied production - 11/7/2009 12:17:43 AM   
Golden Bear

I gotta say that after rereading my sources, the Axis radar is over effective in game. Not only did it not work all that well and I'll ignore the linkage/communication problems, but there were large areas that were not covered at all or poorly covered because of geography. And the Freya, from German sources, was pretty questionable. The need to link F. with another radar in order to give both direction and elevation (note: not distance) must compound the difficulty of actually getting a fix.

This said, it is an interesting line of discussion but in the game it sort of works overall.

C.

(in reply to von Shagmeister)
Post #: 125
RE: A needed fix for allied production - 11/7/2009 5:10:14 PM   
Howard Mitchell

Thanks for the very informative reply Nick!

While the battles the British fight may differ in the widest possible ways, they invariably have two common characteristics – they are always fought uphill and always at the junction of two or more map sheets.

General Sir William Slim

(in reply to Golden Bear)
Post #: 126
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich >> RE: A needed fix for allied production Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI