Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Minor Detail

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Minor Detail Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Minor Detail - 11/7/2009 3:37:27 PM   
JagdFlanker

long time AE/WitP lurker, have only played WPO but hoping to get AE for christmas

am following the seydlitz AAR where he is invading russia and noticed on the combat reports the Mig-3 should be 'spelled' MiG-3 (for Mikoyan-Gurevich)

on a side note anyone ever read alfred coppel's the burning mountain? snagged it at a used book store and it was well written - i quite enjoyed it. here's part of an amazon customer review:

http://www.amazon.com/Burning-Mountain-Novel-Invasion-Japan/product-reviews/015114978X/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

July, 1945: As the scientists and military men who have built the atomic bomb prepare to test the ultimate weapon, an unexpected thunderstorm arrives at the Trinity test site near Los Alamos, N.M. Lightning strikes the tower where the first bomb -- code named "Fat Man" -- is tethered, and in a literal flash, history is changed. There are still two nuclear weapons left, but until the more complex plutonium bomb can be tested, their use is postponed until 1946. In the meantime, the conventional operation of the Japanese home islands, code named DOWNFALL, is launched as scheduled on Nov. 1, 1945.

With this almost Shakespearean touch, novelist and World War II veteran Alfred Coppel (Thirty Four East, The Dragon) begins his "what-if" account of the invasion of Japan in 1945 and 1946.

Instead of covering the entire two-part campaign (OLYMPIC, the landing on Kyushu, and CORONET, the final landing on Honshu) in the main body of The Burning Mountain, Coppel starts his tale by dispensing with the aftermath of the failed TRINITY test with an "excerpt" from a history of the 1941-46 Pacific War, covering the strategy and tactics used by both sides up to and during the OLYMPIC campaign.

The bulk of The Burning Mountain centers on the March 1946 landings as seen through the eyes of various Japanese and Allied participants, including a Marine sergeant who is unsure that his platoon commander will perform well in combat, a B-17 crewman who finds himself in dire straits when his bomber is shot down, an American Ranger officer whose connections with a Japanese family begin to affect his perception of the war the closer he gets to places he knew as a child, and the Japanese soldiers and civilians who desperately fight to defend their homeland from the invading "gaijin."
Post #: 1
RE: Minor Detail - 11/7/2009 4:41:42 PM   
stuman

Welcome aboard. And the book sounds interesting.

" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

(in reply to JagdFlanker)
Post #: 2
RE: Minor Detail - 11/9/2009 9:26:27 PM   
greg_slith

Yeah, I found the book in a discount bin. I thought it was great. Realy one of the best "what if" books I've read. Had a great "downer" feal to it. The nearve gas and how it was released was great.

(in reply to stuman)
Post #: 3
RE: Minor Detail - 11/9/2009 9:46:21 PM   
Terminus

Pretty mediocre, I felt.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

Post #: 4
RE: Minor Detail - 11/10/2009 1:32:56 AM   
JagdFlanker

the main character story was nothing special, but a lot of the 'mini stories' were great. most characters introduced in the book lasted 1, sometimes 2 chapters before getting it

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 5
RE: Minor Detail - 11/10/2009 2:42:50 AM   
DivePac88

Great idea for a book; but sadly I think this book has been given the 'Hollywood' treatment.

When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way

Post #: 6
RE: Minor Detail - 11/10/2009 2:27:10 PM   
morganbj

You mean Ben Afleck is one of the characters? 

(I know.  It's a book not a movie.  You gotta work with me here.) 

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Minor Detail Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI