Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Online Detailled battles

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Online Detailled battles Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Online Detailled battles - 11/7/2009 7:07:31 PM   
GrouchyXe

Hi,

Another question perhaps stupid.

I am looking to play FOF soon online is there anyway to play my detailled battles ?

If not in PBEM I guess it should at elast be possible with ip to ip game no ?

Else how do you resolve battles in PBEM ?

< Message edited by GrouchyXe -- 11/8/2009 11:56:56 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Detailled battles on multiplayer - 11/8/2009 11:57:47 AM   
GrouchyXe

Gilr wrote in another thread:

quote:

Randomizer is both right and wrong at the same time. FOF was programmed so that players could fight out detailed battles online, and lots of people have done so. HOWEVER, FOF was programmed using a Microsoft software library -- programmers will know what this means, the rest of us need to use our imaginations -- that had a problem Microsoft failed to fix. As a result, a small percentage of players have been unable to play networked games. If you find this to be the case when you try please post about it in the Support sub-forum, since there are one or two tricks you can try before giving up. Overall, it's a frustrating situation for us, and one we can't fix, since this software library is so central to the code that it would require the equivalent of major, life-threatening surgery, which would create new bugs and new problems. Here's to hoping that it works for you! (And remember, there is always hot-seat play.)

Could you please clarify how can I play detailled battles online ?

How can I play my detailled battles on a PBEM game ?
Is it mandatory to be on IP/IP game to play detailled battles ?

Thanks for help

(in reply to GrouchyXe)
Post #: 2
RE: Detailled battles on multiplayer - 11/8/2009 3:07:49 PM   
Gil R.

Sorry, I forgot to address the PBEM issue. There are no detailed battles in PBEM, the reason being that with the number of units and turns it would take weeks and months to finish a major battle, meaning that players would be unable to finish a full game of FOF. (There's been talk of us maybe adapting the FOF detailed combat engine and using it for historical battles. If we did that then we'd definitely make PBEM part of the game, since players would be able to finish what they started.)

To play detailed battles against another player it has to be in an entirely hot-seat game, or entirely TCP/IP.

If you are especially eager to play just detailed battles against someone TCP/IP and don't want to worry about the strategic game then you could mod some files to create a Turn 1 situation that has two armies ready to meet in a particular province. So, for example, you could take the OOB's from Gettysburg, when you had two balanced and highly experienced armies, and mod the files so that those armies are ready to square off in July or November 1861. Modding, of course, isn't everyone's cup of tea, but that's how you could play TCP/IP detailed combat and have some variety.

Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.

(in reply to GrouchyXe)
Post #: 3
RE: Detailled battles on multiplayer - 11/8/2009 4:03:48 PM   
GrouchyXe

Thanks,

So the only way to play both strategic AND detailed part of the game (which for me is always what I am looking for on any wargame and FOF is so far best i have seen for that) and if I want to play online game I have two options "hot seat" and IP to IP.

Ok I dont get what is hot seat ? Is it mentioned in the manual ? (sorry if i ask stupid question but i am a newbie)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 4
RE: Detailled battles on multiplayer - 11/8/2009 4:08:47 PM   
GrouchyXe

From manual:

quote:

Hot-Seat Game — A type of game played by more than one human using only a single computer. To play Hot-Seat in Forge of Freedom, select Local Game and then set all players to “human.”

Ok so IP/IP or same computer with two players.

Thats fine

(in reply to GrouchyXe)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Online Detailled battles Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI