Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Launch Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Launch Question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Launch Question - 11/9/2009 12:10:44 AM   
1925frank

I downloaded the free version, which appears to be version 1.75.

When I launch, I get an error message regarding not being able to locate a file named "PDFtypewriter.msi." After exiting out of this error message three times, the game launches.

I've checked my files, and I don't have a file named "PDFtypewriter.msi."

Any clues how to launch without this interruption?

Post #: 1
RE: Launch Question - 11/10/2009 6:46:32 PM   
Hacko

1.86 is the last free official release. Get it at the link below and try it again. Hopefully that works.

Link

(in reply to 1925frank)
Post #: 2
RE: Launch Question - 11/10/2009 10:27:13 PM   
1925frank

Thanks, Hacko.  When I installed 1.86, I got a second icon to click on, but I got the same results.

My wife managed to print the manual, but I'm guessing it wasn't with a PDF format.  I'm thinking if I install a PDF format of some sort, this problem will fix itself. 

EDIT: I searched PDFtypewriter, and there is a program, but it costs $29.

< Message edited by 1925frank -- 11/10/2009 10:28:46 PM >

(in reply to Hacko)
Post #: 3
RE: Launch Question - 11/10/2009 11:07:04 PM   
Hacko

Here is a free PDF reader that I use. It is compatible with all versions of Windows. I think this is what you are talking about when you say you need a PDF reader, hope this works.

PDF Reader

(in reply to 1925frank)
Post #: 4
RE: Launch Question - 11/11/2009 2:46:31 AM   
1925frank

No luck.  The error message says it's still looking for PDFtypewriter.msi.

(in reply to Hacko)
Post #: 5
RE: Launch Question - 11/11/2009 2:55:52 PM   
TonyE

Not sure it will help you but my first thought is that you may have a piece of the PDF typewriter printer driver installed and if you remove that printer Start\Control Panel\Printers\... things might then go better. Going the other direction you could install the trial version of PDF typewriter in hopes of satisfying whatever querying of printers the game is attempting (i.e. I expect the game and PDF typewriter are not related except that now or at some point you had the PDF typewriter printer installed and the game is looking at that).

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to 1925frank)
Post #: 6
RE: Launch Question - 11/12/2009 1:47:52 AM   
1925frank

I downloaded the demo, and that did the trick.  I can now launch without a series of error messages.  Thank you very much.

Regarding my other thread, are all outfielders given a range of 100 in right field, or is that unique to the 1975 season (which I'm playing), or is that unique to older seasons.  Players who play out of position in right field will not have a 100 range, but, from what I've seen, any player who played any outfield position on a regular basis has a 100 range in right field.

(in reply to TonyE)
Post #: 7
RE: Launch Question - 11/13/2009 2:34:55 AM   
TonyE

I doubt you were waiting for me on that outfielder range question and hopefully you weren't as I don't have the game

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to 1925frank)
Post #: 8
RE: Launch Question - 11/13/2009 2:57:23 PM   
1925frank

No, I wasn't waiting for you to answer.  Thanks for your help, Tony.  I'm enjoying the game, but the launch was an annoyance.  I was hoping someone else who has played the game (or simply knows more about baseball) could explain the range rating for right fielders.

I've played various tabletop and computer baseball games, and they generally have a global defensive rating, which encompasses things like range, hands, and arm strength.  The best defensive ratings were always rare.  In this game, I was thinking a 100 range would be exceptional, and yet I found a large number of right fielders with a 100 range -- even for players (like Hal McRae) that I knew were suspect defensively.  This immediately sent up a red flag. 

Given the care for every other aspect of the game, I'm assuming the designers know more about baseball than I do, and I'm assuming the range requirements of right fielders are far less demanding than other positions.  Or, put another way, with three outfielders, perhaps two are given the bulk of the work and effectively cover for the weakest one, who is responsible for only a small area.  If that's the case, then even the slowest outfielder can cover this limted area like a blanket.  That's what the game's range ratings are telling me.  Of course, hands and arm strength would remain an issue, and that is true in this game as well. 

I was just hoping someone else could confirm my assumptions or clarify what the designers' thinking was.

I'm still puttering with the game, but so far I like what I've seen.

I've noticed Rudy Meoli had a surprisingly high power rating and was batting fifth for the Angels in 1975.  I found this odd, but I don't think the game claims to be a perfect replication of the players, although their abilities will be generally accurate.  I'm not familiar enough with the game to know if the high power rating for Rudy Meoli will translate into only 1 or 2 homeruns in a season, which, if he played every day, might have been possible, or whether that high power rating will translate into 10 homeruns in a season.

(in reply to TonyE)
Post #: 9
RE: Launch Question - 11/15/2009 1:00:46 AM   
KG Erwin

1925frank, the best solution is to download and evaluate Shaun's newest demo, which is now hosted by a different company. I posted a thread about it.

(in reply to 1925frank)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Launch Question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI