Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Night Intruders

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich >> RE: Night Intruders Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Night Intruders - 11/8/2009 2:42:49 PM   
Hard Sarge

but again, do what you feel works best for you, that is what makes it fun :)

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 31
RE: Night Intruders - 11/8/2009 4:05:57 PM   
zoul310

I wouldn't mind some more squads of BIV or BXVI Mossies. I would phase out the Stirlings, not all, for Mossies.
Production level for them is very low though.
I also use the 3 PFF detachments in intruder like mode. I launch them at 17.59. Low flying and bombing Nachtjad airfields. Incendiaries like planes !
:-)

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 32
RE: Night Intruders - 11/9/2009 4:17:10 AM   
TechSgt

quote:

ORIGINAL: zoul310

I wouldn't mind some more squads of BIV or BXVI Mossies. I would phase out the Stirlings, not all, for Mossies.
Production level for them is very low though.
I also use the 3 PFF detachments in intruder like mode. I launch them at 17.59. Low flying and bombing Nachtjad airfields. Incendiaries like planes !
:-)

Zoul310;

I DO make more Mossie units! Yes, it does require patience.
I find that Mossie casualities are very low -- usually due to crashes -- so an additional unit per month can be made. Early '44 you can make two per month.
1x with Moss B.XVI and one the old Moss B.IV. Near the end of '44 all Mossie Squadrons will be B.XVI.

I select one or two good experienced BC heavy squadrons from each Group and convert them to Mosquitos. That combined with 8th Group's I'll have 16 Mosquito squadrons max.
Then I send 4 squadrons per day, er... night! On three days rest, low loses & high maintainablity, it keeps morale very high.

Berlin gets at least 1 sqdn every night, sometimes all 4 sqdns.

TS

(in reply to zoul310)
Post #: 33
RE: Night Intruders - 11/9/2009 11:49:16 PM   
zoul310

I'm going to follow your strategy. Low cost and very effective for the number of planes involved.
G

(in reply to TechSgt)
Post #: 34
RE: Night Intruders - 11/10/2009 8:30:31 AM   
TechSgt

As someone said elsewhere...

"Don't change the 617 Squadron!"

Don't change your "best" Squadrons to Mossie. Let these gentlemen be your pathfinders/lead units.
As experience increases one of these units will be almost as good as the daylight boys in taking out individual factories.

TS

(in reply to zoul310)
Post #: 35
RE: Night Intruders - 11/10/2009 11:08:36 PM   
Baron von Beer

For BOB German night fighters, I noticed they list bomb loads, 10-12 50kg bombs.  I understand the historical use of these, but haven't seen them used in game. Is this just leftover/non-implemented equipment?

(in reply to TechSgt)
Post #: 36
RE: Night Intruders - 11/11/2009 4:10:19 AM   
Golden Bear

617 sqn has other uses than pathfinder. Very valuable, very special.

(in reply to Baron von Beer)
Post #: 37
RE: Night Intruders - 11/11/2009 6:59:30 AM   
TechSgt

quote:

ORIGINAL: Baron von Beer

For BOB German night fighters, I noticed they list bomb loads, 10-12 50kg bombs.  I understand the historical use of these, but haven't seen them used in game. Is this just leftover/non-implemented equipment?

Baron;

In TOH, the P-61's were the same way. I don't remember them "bombing" during night intruder missions. However, there were a couple of Moss F/B night units that would strafe anything and everything if the moon was above 20%. I don't see these in BtR.

I havn't played deep enough into BtR '43 campaign to see if there has been changes to the P-61's.

TS

(in reply to Baron von Beer)
Post #: 38
RE: Night Intruders - 11/11/2009 7:05:11 AM   
TechSgt

quote:

ORIGINAL: Golden Bear

617 sqn has other uses than pathfinder. Very valuable, very special.

Bear;

As the war progresses, some of the other high experienced squadrons, will get into the high 70's or low 80's in exp. They become "special", but no where as good as the 617. My feeling is there must be some code action going on.

TS

(in reply to Golden Bear)
Post #: 39
RE: Night Intruders - 11/11/2009 4:46:15 PM   
Hard Sarge

nothing in the code for 617, other then the fact they carry a very big bomb

fighterbombers on Inturder missions, will drop bombs

I not really sure how that works any more (I think all of the NF type units, fly nightfighters now)

(some of these units were kind of ruff, to work out where they belonged, you could have a flight of Mossies, flying over the Bay of Biscay, looking for Ju 88 or Subs, another flight doing a ranger mission over France, and then that night a couple of planes would be flying over England on night defence missions, while another couple would be flying a Intruder mission, so the same squadron in real life, would be in game life, a Fighter, a Fighterbomber, a Level Bomber, a Intruder and or a Nightfighter all at the same time, game only works with one)

(in reply to TechSgt)
Post #: 40
RE: Night Intruders - 11/27/2009 1:21:48 PM   
sgparrish

I've tried sending night intruders to german night fighter bases to catch German planes trying to land. I don't see a way to have the planes patrol (as with a day time fighter sweep). Am I missing something simple? My night intruders fly to the base and immediately return. If the bad guys happen to be landing when the NF gets to the base, I've had some success, but otherwise it's just a straight flight out and back.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 41
RE: Night Intruders - 11/27/2009 2:23:00 PM   
harley

Fly them as single planes, rather than multiples. Singles loiter, multiples fly in-fly out.

It's one of the buttons at the top.

gigiddy gigiddy gig-i-ddy

(in reply to sgparrish)
Post #: 42
RE: Night Intruders - 12/11/2009 12:31:35 AM   
Jim D Burns

quote:

ORIGINAL: TechSgt
... and prepare for carpal tunnel syndrome ... No truer words have been spoken!!!

What the night intruder missions need is an option to send multiple planes as it has now, but with the added ability to add a time delay between the individual planes. So I could order an intermittent stream of planes to patrol a base with 10, 20, 30 minutes etc. between each plane. That would save a lot of time and it would also reduce the drain on total mission capacity.

Recon missions should also have a similar ability, as I like to send 2 or 3 missions a day to critical assignments if the weather is bad. Assigning just one mission with the ability to put a two hour interval between several different recon planes would be a huge help.

Jim

(in reply to TechSgt)
Post #: 43
RE: Night Intruders - 12/11/2009 7:03:22 AM   
TechSgt

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim D Burns

quote:

ORIGINAL: TechSgt
... and prepare for carpal tunnel syndrome ... No truer words have been spoken!!!

What the night intruder missions need is an option to send multiple planes as it has now, but with the added ability to add a time delay between the individual planes. So I could order an intermittent stream of planes to patrol a base with 10, 20, 30 minutes etc. between each plane. That would save a lot of time and it would also reduce the drain on total mission capacity.

I agree!!! With the NF idea. But, the drain on mission capacity I find... hmmm... interesting?

Recon missions should also have a similar ability, as I like to send 2 or 3 missions a day to critical assignments if the weather is bad. Assigning just one mission with the ability to put a two hour interval between several different recon planes would be a huge help.

I use to do something very similar in the old TOH. But with the new version, where Recon can take multiple photos, I just route the return flights over valuable targets. This change has definately changed the way I plot recons.

Jim

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 44
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich >> RE: Night Intruders Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI