Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

In the army

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> In the army Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
In the army - 11/9/2000 10:18:00 PM   
Tortfeasor

what i have shot with in the Swedes army as a marine (Kustjägare). Ak-4 automatic 7.62 mm rifel, best results with this rifel was from a distans off 200m, 5-shots on a egg sise spot, with iron sight, so don`t call me with bad names. Live hand grenades. Karlgustaf 120 mm swedes basoka (rechargebel). Traind with 76 mm cannon. Maxim maskin gun 7.62mm, it hadd 3 liter cooling water around the pipe, i think the maskin gun was from the 2 world war. [This message has been edited by Tortfeasor (edited November 09, 2000).]

My opinion might have been changed, but not the fact that I am correct.
Post #: 1
- 11/9/2000 11:23:00 PM   
Hortlund

Nice...so what did you do in the marines? Desk clerk? I've never heard about a marine who didnt get to use some other toys like AK-5, AK-74, M16A2 (Assault rifle) KSP-58 KSP-90 (MG) PSG-1 (Sniper rifle) AT-4 (MAW) Plus mines handgrenades and all kinds of exploding toys But then again...if you got training on 76 mm cannons, and some old water cooled MG, you were probably on some static coastal defence unit...right? I mean even I who was in the (Dunno how to translate it, the brits called us Arctic Rangers, but we were more of a border defence batallion *way* up north) got to play with all the above one time or another. Just one more thing, I dont think 5 shots on an egg size spot from 200m is *that* good...but thats just me But anyhow...thanks for the list... Steve ------------------ Panzerjaeger Hortlund -=Fear is only a state of mind=-

The era of procrastination, of half-measures, of soothing and baffling expedients, of delays, is coming to a close.
In its place we are entering a period of consequences..

(in reply to Tortfeasor)
Post #: 2
- 11/10/2000 2:23:00 AM   
Tortfeasor

I am not trying to sound as a rambo or mambo. But i do have itchy fingers, so dont make it worse, ReindeeRanger. Howe charp did you schoot then with an iron sight. I was in a kindoff coastal defence, trying to find sovjet subs near the coastline(in the summer), but we found only MINKS, exsept the U-975 off curse. Some time it was over 29 minus wen we were skiing on the is.

(in reply to Tortfeasor)
Post #: 3
- 11/10/2000 2:28:00 AM   
Tortfeasor

quote:

Originally posted by Tortfeasor: I am not trying to sound as a rambo or mambo. But i do have itchy fingers, so dont make it worse, ReindeeRanger. Howe charp did you schoot then with an iron sight. I was in a kindoff coastal defence, trying to find sovjet subs near the coastline(in the summer), but we found only MINKS, exsept the U-975 off curse. Some time it was over 29 minus wen we were skiing on the ice, and the air was not dry like in the north, it is coulder wen it is moisture.in the air.

(in reply to Tortfeasor)
Post #: 4
- 11/10/2000 8:48:00 AM   
troopie

It's many years too late, but I could have invited you cold weather types to come and play in Southern Africa. 30 deg. Celsius, 100% humidity and not a cloud in the sky. troopie ------------------ Pamwe Chete

Pamwe Chete

(in reply to Tortfeasor)
Post #: 5
- 11/10/2000 9:12:00 AM   
Kluckenbill

Tortfeaser, you wrote:
quote:

I was in a kindoff coastal defence, trying to find sovjet subs near the coastline
Was that the point of the 76mm gun? How did you plan to shoot at surfaced subs? That seems kind of unlikely. Also I'm curious about the water cooled MG. I've heard that as long as you have water in the barrel jacket you can shoot as much as you want without damaging the barrel. Is that true? Also, FWIW, when I was a tanker in the US Army in the 70's, my individual weapon a tank commander was the M3 Submachinegun (the Grease Gun)of WW2 vintage. Man, what a piece of junk that was. ------------------ Target, Cease Fire !

Target, Cease Fire !

(in reply to Tortfeasor)
Post #: 6
- 11/10/2000 1:52:00 PM   
Hortlund

Hehehe Troopie..I'd take those 30 degrees celsius and not a cloud in the sky any time...sounds like a bloody holliday You should try this. -36 degrees celsius, a mild breeze from the north, 1 meter thick snow. Orders to attack a hill. Now try to run through the snow without skiis or snowshoes. You cant breathe (you try to breath through some fabric, but it still hurts like hell), you cant open your eyes (the fluid in the eyes starts to freeze). If you exhale on something metallic, you can litterary *see* your breath freeze to ice (Its actually kinda cool). When I think of those poor Germans outside Moscow in 41...they were fighting and winning in temperatures below 50 degrees celsius, and they only had summer uniforms...I mean, at least I had a modern winther uniform...and I still froze my ass off. So tell me..whats so bad about those 30 degrees and cloudless skies? Steve ------------------ Panzerjaeger Hortlund -=Fear is only a state of mind=-

The era of procrastination, of half-measures, of soothing and baffling expedients, of delays, is coming to a close.
In its place we are entering a period of consequences..

(in reply to Tortfeasor)
Post #: 7
- 11/10/2000 2:48:00 PM   
Tortfeasor

quote:

Originally posted by Kluckenbill: Tortfeaser, you wrote: [QUOTE]I was in a kindoff coastal defence, trying to find sovjet subs near the coastline
Was that the point of the 76mm gun? How did you plan to shoot at surfaced subs? That seems kind of unlikely. Also I'm curious about the water cooled MG. I've heard that as long as you have water in the barrel jacket you can shoot as much as you want without damaging the barrel. Is that true? [/QUOTE] The 76 mm coustal gun had nothing to do with submarine fighting, it was only a part of mine training, it was blown in tunnels and nuclear safe (not direct hit). The MG i dont rember its name but i will chek it later. Yes you could shoot as long time as you wanted, it was posible to shoot as long there was material left on the helmet from 300-400 meters distans.

(in reply to Tortfeasor)
Post #: 8
- 11/10/2000 3:55:00 PM   
Weasel

quote:

Originally posted by Kluckenbill: Tortfeaser, you wrote: [QUOTE]I was in a kindoff coastal defence, trying to find sovjet subs near the coastline
Was that the point of the 76mm gun? How did you plan to shoot at surfaced subs? That seems kind of unlikely. Also I'm curious about the water cooled MG. I've heard that as long as you have water in the barrel jacket you can shoot as much as you want without damaging the barrel. Is that true? Also, FWIW, when I was a tanker in the US Army in the 70's, my individual weapon a tank commander was the M3 Submachinegun (the Grease Gun)of WW2 vintage. Man, what a piece of junk that was. [/QUOTE] If I did understand Torfeasor right, he meant some kind of modification of the good old Maxim HMG, which actually is/was cooled by rotating water. You can shoot as must as you want without heat damaging the barrel. Finnish army used 7,62 mm M/09-21 Maxim, 7,62 mm M/05-09 Maxim, 7,62 mm M/32-33 Maxim and M/1910 Maxim-Sokolov. 7.62 mm might sound a little too small of a caliber compared to US 50. M60, but it was the base of finnish machinegun-troops. Maxims are no longer in use by finnish army, but when I had my reserve officer course, we had a chance to test these old MGs for a few days, and man, did I ever had a good time. Those old pieces still kick ass! [This message has been edited by Weasel (edited November 10, 2000).]

(in reply to Tortfeasor)
Post #: 9
- 11/10/2000 6:01:00 PM   
troopie

Well, compared to that -36 celsius and snow up to your arse, nothing.. Save insects that want to drink your blood, crocodiles that want to eat you and terrs (oops, guerrillas) that want to kill you. Tho' it's not as buggy as further north, and not malarial. And in CitForce we had the water cooled Vickers re-barrelled for 7.62. As long as you kept the jacket full of water, you could shoot off a whole box without ill effect. troopie ------------------ Pamwe Chete

Pamwe Chete

(in reply to Tortfeasor)
Post #: 10
- 11/11/2000 3:32:00 AM   
Tortfeasor

quote:

Originally posted by Panzerjaeger Hortlund: So tell me..whats so bad about those 30 degrees and cloudless skies? Steve [/B]
Well -36 celsius and dry air is same as -25 celsius and 30% humidity, and the wind was the same for you and me, but think wen you are skiing with full eqvpment on the icesea and the ice is icracing up under you and you are feeling the ice water klimbing upp your legs, all the way upp and all you can do is stay still and keep your head cool (abowe the frezing point) ofen you sink only to your knees, becorse there can be two layers of ice, but not always. [This message has been edited by Tortfeasor (edited November 12, 2000).]

(in reply to Tortfeasor)
Post #: 11
- 11/12/2000 8:33:00 AM   
Billy Yank

I had one of the best jobs in the US Army for a gun and explosion fan: Broadcast Journalist. I only got to fire the basic small arms, but I got to watch almost everything in the inventory (and I didn't have to clean it afterward). I've seen 8" howitzers direct fire, combined arms live fire with A-10s and Apaches, mine clearing line charges, and all sorts of stuff. ------------------ Billy Yank I don't define "my own" the way you want me to.

Billy Yank
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
-- Thorin Oakenshield

(in reply to Tortfeasor)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> In the army Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI