Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Campaign features

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: The Longest Day >> Campaign features Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Campaign features - 11/12/2009 8:52:25 PM   
Rothgar81

I'm new to the CC series and I bought TLD because I thought I might like it. I worked through tutorials and handbook, but I still have a lot of questions about the campaign mode.

Can anybody tell me how the force pools work? Does every unit have it's own force pool? And what are the reserve points for?
I am fighting currently against an opponent which has about 30 infantry and many other units in it's force pool, does this mean I have to fight the battle over and over until his force pool is depleted?

I'm quite lost at the moment, the battles are real fun and I like the strategic options. Is there perhaps some guide or tutorial for the campaign and force pool options?
Post #: 1
RE: Campaign features - 11/12/2009 8:59:05 PM   
Southernland

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rothgar81

I am fighting currently against an opponent which has about 30 infantry and many other units in it's force pool, does this mean I have to fight the battle over and over until his force pool is depleted?

Only if you can't force the enemy battlegroup off the map by capturing and holding all VLs. also bear in mind that as his (or your) forcepool is eroded the BG may start to show either gaps or less tha suitable troops in certain slots so the battles will alter. They will also play out differently as you capture or loose terrain and different objectives become valuable or loose value.

(in reply to Rothgar81)
Post #: 2
RE: Campaign features - 11/12/2009 9:16:47 PM   
FeurerKrieg

Many of the Allied BGs are pretty large and you'll find that more often than not you will lose or capture the map before the BG is eroded. If you can push the enemy BG off the map, and it has no ability to retreat, it can take pretty significant losses to its force pool. However, German BGs often don't have the reserves to make the hard charges need to force an Allied BG off the map so you have do your best to take out more than you lose - or at least slow the Allied advance until your better BGs arrive on day 2 and 3.

Welcome to CC! I've been playing off an on for over ten years now and it never gets old.

Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks

(in reply to Southernland)
Post #: 3
RE: Campaign features - 11/12/2009 9:18:05 PM   
Rothgar81

How do I force the enemy off the map? I won the battle in a sector, but the enemy still is in it for another fight.

(in reply to Southernland)
Post #: 4
RE: Campaign features - 11/12/2009 9:26:59 PM   
Rothgar81

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feurer Krieg

Allied BG off the map so you have do your best to take out more than you lose - or at least slow the Allied advance until your better BGs arrive on day 2 and 3.

How long does one day take? Does it end when I have finished all initial battles? And why can I scroll through the days, can I jump to other days, or is it just for info which BC are gonna appear?

(in reply to FeurerKrieg)
Post #: 5
RE: Campaign features - 11/12/2009 10:01:54 PM   
FeurerKrieg

Taking all the victory locations (the little flags, or VLs for short) will push the enemy off map. Also, destroying all the teams the enemy has on map will do the same.

If you have morale turned on, the enemy can lose up to 3 VLs (I think it is 3 max, but not 100% sure) when their morale breaks. So if the enemy only has 3 or less VLs left, then a morale break can bounce them off the map as well.

(in reply to Rothgar81)
Post #: 6
RE: Campaign features - 11/12/2009 10:02:42 PM   
FeurerKrieg

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feurer Krieg

Allied BG off the map so you have do your best to take out more than you lose - or at least slow the Allied advance until your better BGs arrive on day 2 and 3.

How long does one day take? Does it end when I have finished all initial battles? And why can I scroll through the days, can I jump to other days, or is it just for info which BC are gonna appear?

The scrolling through days is just info for arriving BGs.

One day has a night turn and then 4 more turns. So 5 turns total per day. Yes, playing as the Germans against a human player is a real challenge.

(in reply to Rothgar81)
Post #: 7
RE: Campaign features - 11/12/2009 10:06:23 PM   
Rothgar81

So to push the enemy off the map it is wise to turn off the time limit I guess. I used the presetting of 15 min limit. Do you use time limits at all?

Post #: 8
RE: Campaign features - 11/12/2009 10:13:12 PM   
FeurerKrieg

The shorter the time limit, the harder it is to do, that is correct. However, you will quickly find, especially against the AI, that no time limit makes the game way to easy.

Most people play with 15 or 30 mins time limits. Several also do 20 mins, but that requires a little bit of game file editing to do. Unless they added it in on the last patch - I can't recall if they made that an option now.

(in reply to Rothgar81)
Post #: 9
RE: Campaign features - 11/12/2009 10:22:12 PM   
Rothgar81

Thanks for the quick answers.

But I still don't know what the points next to the revere window in unit selection means. Is it simply an information what my current unit selection is worth or can the ability to get reserves be depleted by taking to expensive units?

Post #: 10
RE: Campaign features - 11/12/2009 10:26:53 PM   
FeurerKrieg

quote:

Thanks for the quick answers.

But I still don't know what the points next to the revere window in unit selection means. Is it simply an information what my current unit selection is worth or can the ability to get reserves be depleted by taking to expensive units?

As far as I know, those numbers serve no function at present. I think this is either the devs way of getting the code ready for a remake of CC2 which used a point system - OR - it is so head to head players can choose a point allocation to make for a 'fair' battle. IE both sides get x points to spend on units. Something like that maybe.

< Message edited by Feurer Krieg -- 11/12/2009 10:27:36 PM >

(in reply to Rothgar81)
Post #: 11
RE: Campaign features - 11/12/2009 11:17:12 PM   
Southernland

I think the points are for H2H games where you reach a "gentleman's aggreement" and selection teams up to a certain points value. 

In cc3/COI you have set point limitations that you can spend on various units.  in designing h2h battles or ops you can design the battle so certain points are released at the start and each day where the players (human or AI) can "buy" their troops

edit the problem with selection longer battles is running out of ammunition

< Message edited by Southern_land -- 11/12/2009 11:18:40 PM >

Post #: 12
RE: Campaign features - 11/13/2009 12:20:16 AM   
Rothgar81

I just started a new campaign and noticed something strange. When I chose the units for a BG I had one anti tank unit in reserve. I selected it and it had no experience, the status said combat training. I thought a moment I would not use it and put it back into the forcepool but decided then otherwise and selected it again and... abracadabra ... now the status was "seen battle". Is this a bug? Or is it random?

Edit: I know, I'm starting to be a pain in the ... but I found another thing I don't understand. I'm defending a beach and I have a house that has two stories and is about 16m high. I put an AT gun in it an check the line of fire and the line stops at a seawall that is only 4m high. The beach is between 1 and 2 m high. Shouldn't the gun be able to hit the beach or has it to do with the angle?

< Message edited by Rothgar81 -- 11/13/2009 12:31:09 AM >

(in reply to Rothgar81)
Post #: 13
RE: Campaign features - 11/13/2009 12:46:41 AM   
squadleader_id

quote:

I just started a new campaign and noticed something strange. When I chose the units for a BG I had one anti tank unit in reserve. I selected it and it had no experience, the status said combat training. I thought a moment I would not use it and put it back into the forcepool but decided then otherwise and selected it again and... abracadabra ... now the status was "seen battle". Is this a bug? Or is it random?

Yup...this is random and part of the engine limitations.
Also, you can't rest units (like in CC3)...experienced/battle hardened units when removed from the BG active roster will be 'lost' and merged into the forcepool.

quote:

Edit: I know, I'm starting to be a pain in the ... but I found another thing I don't understand. I'm defending a beach and I have a house that has two stories and is about 16m high. I put an AT gun in it an check the line of fire and the line stops at a seawall that is only 4m high. The beach is between 1 and 2 m high. Shouldn't the gun be able to hit the beach or has it to do with the angle?

Unlike infantry, guns inside buildings will always be deployed on the first floor.

(in reply to Rothgar81)
Post #: 14
RE: Campaign features - 11/13/2009 1:25:53 AM   
Andrew Williams

The points total is the total value of all the Teams you have selected

Remove a team ... see the total go down

Add a tank instead of infantry ... see the total go up.

As SL said, it is for a Gentlemans agreement in H2H play..

"Let's play maximum total 350 pts" it can be fun.

In your inactive FP (Left column) you may have multiple teams of one type availabe eg The anti-tank unit. Some may have more training/experience than others. If you only have one left , I'm pretty sure, no matter how many time you add or remove it it will cpme back with the same characteristics for morale and experience.

Reserves in the pic above shows 4 green sections... that means you have plenty of reserves.

Each BG has it's own Forcepool. The 919/709 shown above has it's FP diplayed in the left column. Each BG's is unique.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Andrew Williams -- 11/13/2009 2:02:40 AM >

(in reply to squadleader_id)
Post #: 15
RE: Campaign features - 11/13/2009 1:27:16 AM   
Andrew Williams

SQUID is correct

You can't man handle an antitank gun up a flight of stairs so it remains on the ground floor.

(in reply to Andrew Williams)
Post #: 16
RE: Campaign features - 11/13/2009 2:29:40 AM   
Senior Drill

With the right type of AT gun and the right type of building, and with the right type of pistol in the left hand and right type of bull whip in the right hand, I think I could convince the lads to give it a try to get to an upper floor. Once. Would probably be fragged shortly after.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre.

Post #: 17
RE: Campaign features - 11/13/2009 2:56:32 AM   
Andrew Williams

One look at me with your dexter eyelid and I'd have it up there myself Drill.

The thought of the bull whip makes me go weak at the knees.

(in reply to Senior Drill)
Post #: 18
RE: Campaign features - 11/13/2009 3:17:50 AM   
FeurerKrieg

quote:

In your inactive FP (Left column) you may have multiple teams of one type availabe eg The anti-tank unit. Some may have more training/experience than others. If you only have one left , I'm pretty sure, no matter how many time you add or remove it it will cpme back with the same characteristics for morale and experience.

I'm 95% sure you can get better units even with just one unit. That's pretty much SOP for me. Select, deselect until have the highest color I can expect to get with that team/BG combination. Very rarely head into battle with red/orange teams. They are usually all yellow/orange or green.

Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: The Longest Day >> Campaign features Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI