Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Command Structure

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Command Structure Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Command Structure - 10/11/2009 3:02:48 AM   
aoffen

I have been playing for a while now but have to admit to still be struggling with the whole command structure issue in the game and would appreciate any guidance people have.

Specifically I don't understand the following :

1) Bases
What is the significance of having a base report to specific HQ? Is it worth spending PP's to change bases in a geographical area to all report to the nearest high level HQ or does it actually make no difference in game terms and is an issue of aesthetics

2) Air units
Ditto re air units. I understand the impact an HQ has on air ops but does it make a difference which HQ? eg if a P40 squadron from 11th Airforce is sitting in Townsville a million miles from its parent HQ in Anchorage but is in the same base as the 5th AF HQ does it get the same benefit? Is it worth spending PP's to change it except to make it look nice. Are replacements rates effected?

3) HQ Restrictions
Have read the rules a hundred times re HQ's and trawled the forum but still don't get it. Some HQ's have an R next to them indicating they are restricted but how do we know what type of restriction that is? Some sub units can be switched, some can't. What basis is that made on? Its all a mystery to me.

If anwyaone can shed light on those 3 questions it would go a long way to helping me undertsand what is happening command and PP wise.
Thanks
Andrew
Post #: 1
RE: Command Structure - 10/11/2009 10:43:42 AM   
davbaker

I was going to post and ask very similar questions, HQ's are a bit of a mystery ....

Enquiring minds want to know

(in reply to aoffen)
Post #: 2
RE: Command Structure - 10/11/2009 2:21:00 PM   
Mike Scholl

Personally I'd settle for some sort of on-map "color coding" I could trigger for all the sub-units of an HQ.  Finding out who belongs to what and is sitting where is a sub game unto itself. 

(in reply to davbaker)
Post #: 3
RE: Command Structure - 10/11/2009 9:10:36 PM   
Grunt

On a similar note...do the 2 plane HQ squadrons play any real role? Or are they just a bunch of max 2 plane "squadrons" to deal with?

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 4
RE: Command Structure - 10/11/2009 9:59:02 PM   
Zenra

I've been struggling with this, too, especially the effects of "restricted" HQs. I've noticed that some units reporting to restricted HQs cannot have their HQ changed (i.e., the HQ is displayed in gray on the unit details screen). It also seems that units reporting to a restricted HQ cannot be loaded on to ships.

With regard to bases and air units, the manual does go into some detail about how upgrades and reinforcements depend on the location of an air unit relative to its HQ (p257).

Air units flying offensive missions also suffer penalties to the number of planes flying if not in the command radius of their parent HQ (p174). Certain air HQs also has a "Torpedo Ordinance" device that allows them to convert supply to torpedoes at a base that is otherwise incapable of supplying torpedoes (p164). It is not clear to me whether such an HQ supplies torpedoes only to units in its chain of command or to any air units flying from that base.

Air HQs reporting to the same Command HQ as the base they are in also help by allowing more groups to fly missions in a turn - they add their command radius to the number of groups able to fly if the number you order to fly otherwise exceeds what that base can support (p214).

Mitchell

(in reply to Grunt)
Post #: 5
RE: Command Structure - 10/11/2009 10:43:50 PM   
davbaker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mitchell

I've been struggling with this, too, especially the effects of "restricted" HQs. I've noticed that some units reporting to restricted HQs cannot have their HQ changed (i.e., the HQ is displayed in gray on the unit details screen). It also seems that units reporting to a restricted HQ cannot be loaded on to ships.

I sort of understand this and a lot of those are by design. I think the units are there for historical completeness, but heavily restricted i.e. they were 'in theatre' but didnt do anything. e.g. 5th British Div in Mombasa that cannot be loaded onto ships.

quote:

It is not clear to me whether such an HQ supplies torpedoes only to units in its chain of command or to any air units flying from that base.

I'm pretty sure they supply to any unit , but again this is not really clear.

quote:

Air HQs reporting to the same Command HQ as the base they are in also help by allowing more groups to fly missions in a turn - they add their command radius to the number of groups able to fly if the number you order to fly otherwise exceeds what that base can support (p214).

I'd never read that properly before! Thanks for pointing that out, might explain why PM is still overstacked even with II Fighter HQ there as I've mostly left bases at their default Command (Australia in this case I think).

I wonder if there are any implications for Land HQ's efficiency and the base they're in?

Cheers

Dave

(in reply to Zenra)
Post #: 6
RE: Command Structure - 10/11/2009 11:38:15 PM   
Zenra

quote:

ORIGINAL: davbaker
I'd never read that properly before! Thanks for pointing that out, might explain why PM is still overstacked even with II Fighter HQ there as I've mostly left bases at their default Command (Australia in this case I think).

I wonder if there are any implications for Land HQ's efficiency and the base they're in?

Cheers

Dave

I was just reading a bit more about land HQs (see p178): Corp and Army HQs provide bonuses to the Assault Value of LCUs within their command radius, and it sounds like Command HQs can help improve AV tremendously (up to 90%!), for both offense and defense.

Mitchell

(in reply to davbaker)
Post #: 7
RE: Command Structure - 10/12/2009 12:31:23 AM   
davbaker

To Recap:

Air HQ:
The command radius of the HQ is added to the Airfield stacking limit (i.e. the number of Airgroups that can be administered)if the Air HQ reports to same command as the base.
You get 1/2 the command radius added if it doesnt.

Also has a large Impact on Airgroups getting damaged/undamaged replacements/upgrades at smaller AF, and where the supplies are expended.

Land:
Command - Helps in several ways. They help in giving a bonus to ground combat.
If no Corps HQ is in range of a ground unit, the Command HQ can give a bonus like a Corps HQ if it is in range of a ground unit. If there is a Corps HQ within range of the battle, and the Command HQ is within 2 times its command range of the battle, it can add up to an additional 90% bonus to the Assault Value of an attacking force for odds calculations. The bonuses are impacted by the leaderships rating of the commander of the HQs.

- How can you tell Corps HQ from Command HQ?
Is "Southwest Pacific" (i.e. top level when you go to change command) Corps & "Australian I Army" (i.e. all the subordinates in the list) Command?

So if I have SWPAC in Milne Bay, Australian I Army HQ in PM (assigned under SWPAC) and the Australian 6th Division assigned to Australian 1 Army I would get (up to) the 90% bonus when fighting at Kokoda?

Does the Command of the Base SWPAC is in have an effect?

(in reply to Zenra)
Post #: 8
RE: Command Structure - 10/12/2009 2:18:45 AM   
Zenra

My understanding is that the "Command HQs" are the higher level HQs - the ones with larger command radii (usually 9, sometimes 5).

The more difficult distinction is between Corp and Army HQs - I have been concentrating mostly on Japan and so am not familiar with the Allied OOB, but normally an "Army" HQ would have a number of "Corp" HQs under it.

Mitchell

(in reply to davbaker)
Post #: 9
RE: Command Structure - 10/12/2009 4:02:04 AM   
msieving1

quote:

The more difficult distinction is between Corp and Army HQs - I have been concentrating mostly on Japan and so am not familiar with the Allied OOB, but normally an "Army" HQ would have a number of "Corp" HQs under it.

In Japanese usage, an Army is equivalent to a Corps in US or most other nations' organization. The Japanese equivalent of a US Army would be an Area Army.

(in reply to Zenra)
Post #: 10
RE: Command Structure - 10/12/2009 6:59:23 AM   
aoffen

Thanks for the info. What does that mean for bases though? If the Air HQ reports to the same HQ as the base they get full command benefit, but is that the only impact of which HQ the bases reports to? If that's the case its only worth converting the bases where you intend to station an air HQ.
Rgds
Andrew

(in reply to msieving1)
Post #: 11
RE: Command Structure - 10/12/2009 11:37:40 PM   
davbaker

The manual also only talks about:

Command HQ & Corps HQ working together to give a large bonus.
What about Army HQ? Seems odd that they're not mentioned as working together with a command HQ.

Also, does the " leaders (+) " in combat reports indicate that a Command HQ and Corps HQ have linked to provide a combat bonus as per the manual?

(in reply to aoffen)
Post #: 12
RE: Command Structure - 11/15/2009 2:11:14 PM   
kwcampbell

Okay, I have the 5th Air Div HQ in Bangkok, had it there for a few turns now, but it transported with 0 x torpedo ordnance, and when I click to purchase, the window doesn't come up. So I can't buy any. Neither of the torp-capable squadrons based there has any torps.

Bangkok has 27,000 supply, only needs 4,000, and the HQ is in combat mode.

edit: Also checked, no fragments of the HQ left sitting anywhere....

< Message edited by kwcampbell -- 11/15/2009 2:15:56 PM >

(in reply to davbaker)
Post #: 13
RE: Command Structure - 11/15/2009 4:22:20 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: aoffen

I have been playing for a while now but have to admit to still be struggling with the whole command structure issue in the game and would appreciate any guidance people have.

Specifically I don't understand the following :

1) Bases
What is the significance of having a base report to specific HQ? Is it worth spending PP's to change bases in a geographical area to all report to the nearest high level HQ or does it actually make no difference in game terms and is an issue of aesthetics

2) Air units
Ditto re air units. I understand the impact an HQ has on air ops but does it make a difference which HQ? eg if a P40 squadron from 11th Airforce is sitting in Townsville a million miles from its parent HQ in Anchorage but is in the same base as the 5th AF HQ does it get the same benefit? Is it worth spending PP's to change it except to make it look nice. Are replacements rates effected?

3) HQ Restrictions
Have read the rules a hundred times re HQ's and trawled the forum but still don't get it. Some HQ's have an R next to them indicating they are restricted but how do we know what type of restriction that is? Some sub units can be switched, some can't. What basis is that made on? Its all a mystery to me.

If anwyaone can shed light on those 3 questions it would go a long way to helping me undertsand what is happening command and PP wise.
Thanks
Andrew

One advantage of having bases assigned to a HQ is that HQs that are permanently restricted can not transfer their air units to a base that is not under the command of the restricted HQ. I in fact used this to make the French Vichy air units I added to a mod be completely immobile, they will stay where they are based because you can not change HQs and the HQ has no bases for you to move them to. Thus you will have Vichy air units to help defend Indo-China, but you will be utterly unable to use them to attack in Burma (for example).

This is one area that is affected by all three of the items in your questions.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to aoffen)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Command Structure Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI