Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

[OT] - So I'm looking for another WW2 game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> [OT] - So I'm looking for another WW2 game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
[OT] - So I'm looking for another WW2 game - 11/21/2009 11:02:57 PM   
Graymane

Not that I don't love this one! Although the user interface is something akin to using a belt sander in lieu of toilet paper at times, this is one of my most favorite games of all time and I play it a lot. But I do need something else to do when waiting for turns

I like all kinds of wargames except for RTS types. I figured I'd ask in here first since most of us share the same interests as far as gaming is concerned I think. I am slowly reading through some AARs of Bombing the Reich and checking out War In The East although that doesn't look like it is coming out this year. I also own TOAW (another all time favorite of mine) and IL-2.

I am open to just about any kind of non-RTS, shoot-em up game (naval, sub, tactical, operational, strategic, whatever).
Post #: 1
RE: [OT] - So I'm looking for another WW2 game - 11/21/2009 11:27:57 PM   
Anthropoid

Crown of Glory Emperor's Edition is a great game IMO. Also by the same guys (Western Citadel Software) is "Forge of Freedom." Both of those games have active boards here on the Matrix forums so you can read AARs, see screen shots, etc.

ADDIT: sorry didn't notice you said WWII.

TOAWIII is good! Lots of WWII scenarios in that one.

< Message edited by Anthropoid -- 11/22/2009 12:29:56 PM >

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to Graymane)
Post #: 2
RE: [OT] - So I'm looking for another WW2 game - 11/22/2009 3:16:07 AM   
kash7777

hrmm... turn based WWII... I imagine you've played Steel Panthers, if not it's free from matrix, another grisgby masterpiece, even the ancient WIR is fantastic, again free from matrix... how about some of the combat mission games? barbarossa to berlin say? excellent. I've been eyeing Warship Combat: Navies at War, a turn based tactical ship to ship combat game that I hear good things about from NWS. There's also John Tiller's stuff, I've played a couple of the panzer campaign series and liked them, hps sims. The Campaign series from tiller isn't bad, I own the originals, they've been updated here at matrix. If you can stretch to real time a bit then panther games airborne series, highway to the reich etc might interest you or possibly hearts of iron.

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 3
RE: [OT] - So I'm looking for another WW2 game - 11/22/2009 3:46:06 AM   
Rising-Sun

There a board game of Pacific War out there...
http://cgi.ebay.com/VG-PACIFIC-WAR-WWII-Monster-Wargame_W0QQitemZ330379287317QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4cec23db15

I use to play that board game, pretty long and complex, only problems is need find a partner to play it. That game is very rare and hard to find.

(in reply to kash7777)
Post #: 4
RE: [OT] - So I'm looking for another WW2 game - 11/22/2009 2:30:30 PM   
hueglin

It's non-Matrix - but Heart's of Iron II Complete Edition on Steam is excellent.

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 5
RE: [OT] - So I'm looking for another WW2 game - 11/22/2009 2:55:20 PM   
NightFlyer

You can also get the "steamless" version of HOI2 Complete which includes the main game and two expansions from Gamersgate ( http://www.gamersgate.com/DDB-HOI2COMP/hearts-of-iron-2-complete-bundle ) for $25. Avoid HOI3 since it seems to be a "dumbed down" version of HOI2. This trend towards dumbing down concerns grognards like me and I fear that a soon-to-be-released war in the east title may also suffer from it, but I hope not. Matrix games is today's SSI among other things, and I thank them for letting us non-twitch gamers have fun too.

"It is generally inadvisable to eject directly over the area you just bombed.." -U.S. Air Force Manual

(in reply to hueglin)
Post #: 6
RE: [OT] - So I'm looking for another WW2 game - 11/22/2009 3:25:02 PM   
Rising-Sun

paradox just finish latest patch for HoI III, pretty good game but at first it was imcomplete...
http://www.heartsofirongame.com/

I made a Japanese mod there, but not complete yet cuz of patch and other craps.
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=426483

Dunno if i will put more efforts into this or not.

< Message edited by RisingSun -- 11/22/2009 3:27:26 PM >

(in reply to NightFlyer)
Post #: 7
RE: [OT] - So I'm looking for another WW2 game - 11/22/2009 3:42:25 PM   
Graymane

Hi, thanks for the feedback guys. I have most Paradox titles already (All EU, All the HOI, CK, Victoria, etc). I also own Forge of Freedom and AACW. I also own 688(I) but I've lost the disks somewhere along the line

I haven't tried some of the free games like Steel Panthers, so I might mess around with those a bit. Is there anything like Forge of Freedom for WWII? Something with both a strategic and tactical component?

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 8
RE: [OT] - So I'm looking for another WW2 game - 11/22/2009 3:56:38 PM   
TSCofield

Silent Hunter IV. With the mods this is the best Pacific War simulation made.

I am also fond of Battle of Britain II: Wings of Victory by A2A simulations and sold here by Matrix Games. I don't have any qualms about recommending this product. I reviewed it a few years ago and loved it (like it's earlier cousin from Rowan) and the team updates the game better than any other simulation made-to include IL2.

Thomas S. Cofield
Feature Editor, SimHQ.com
t.co0field@comcast.net (stopped the SimHq mail since I get nothing but spam)

(in reply to Graymane)
Post #: 9
RE: [OT] - So I'm looking for another WW2 game - 11/22/2009 6:09:50 PM   
mariandavid

Depends on the level you want - the best company/battalion of WW2 as far as I am concerned are the 'airborne assault' series by Panther and carried by Matrix; one on the Market Garden campaign, another on Crete/Greece/Malta and one coming on the Bulge. You can also try all sorts of mod scenarios.

(in reply to TSCofield)
Post #: 10
RE: [OT] - So I'm looking for another WW2 game - 11/22/2009 6:18:56 PM   
Rob Brennan UK

quote:

ORIGINAL: SimHq Tom Cofield

Silent Hunter IV. With the mods this is the best Pacific War simulation made.

I am also fond of Battle of Britain II: Wings of Victory by A2A simulations and sold here by Matrix Games. I don't have any qualms about recommending this product. I reviewed it a few years ago and loved it (like it's earlier cousin from Rowan) and the team updates the game better than any other simulation made-to include IL2.

Silent hunter 5 is due out mext feb/mar and its back in the atlantic again ,, huzzah ! . I loved SH3 and will definately get SH5.

sorry for the spelling . English is my main language , I just can't type . and i'm too lazy to edit :)

(in reply to TSCofield)
Post #: 11
RE: [OT] - So I'm looking for another WW2 game - 11/22/2009 6:44:53 PM   
Blind Sniper

About boardgame: Advanced Squad Leader, the best WWII Tactical game ever made!

About pcgame: World in Flames if you like the grand strategy but it is in development

WitP-AE - WitE - CWII - BASPM - BaB

(in reply to Rob Brennan UK)
Post #: 12
RE: [OT] - So I'm looking for another WW2 game - 11/22/2009 10:17:01 PM   
Rogue187

I would second Advacned Squad Leader. It a great game, but like WITP, it is not for the those with a weak heart. It's almost impossible to find an opponent after they look at the 400 page rule book. But if you can get a game, its totally worth it.

If you like first person games, WWII Online (now Battleground Europe) is also a lot of fun. Its an online game but it is a true virtual battlefield. Believe me, its a totally different ball game from ARMA, Battlefied whatever, and the like.

(in reply to Blind Sniper)
Post #: 13
RE: [OT] - So I'm looking for another WW2 game - 11/22/2009 11:54:43 PM   
Mr.Custer

Storm Eagle Studios Jutland is really good.

(in reply to Rogue187)
Post #: 14
RE: [OT] - So I'm looking for another WW2 game - 11/23/2009 1:45:14 AM   
DeriKuk

Battles in Italy, as well as Battles in Normandy.

They're both from Matrix.

(in reply to Mr.Custer)
Post #: 15
RE: [OT] - So I'm looking for another WW2 game - 11/23/2009 2:48:21 AM   
Fishbed

quote:

ORIGINAL: Graymane
I also own 688(I) but I've lost the disks somewhere along the line

If you liked 688(I), get Dangerous Waters. Its princing is ridiculous by now, and it's 688(I) a thousand times better by the same guys at Sonalysts (although now you can operate Seawolves, Akulas, Kilos, Perries, SH-60 & Orions too!) The multiplayer is a killah.

(in reply to Graymane)
Post #: 16
RE: [OT] - So I'm looking for another WW2 game - 11/23/2009 2:04:21 PM   
Graymane

Wow, lots of great suggestions. I'm going to be reading up on them all!

@hjalmar99
The Battles In Italy looks like a similar interface to TOAW, is it an operational level game?

@Fishbed, @SimHq Tom Cofield and Rob Brennan UK
Thanks for the heads up! I've been looking for a better sub game for a long time. I'll have to check them out.

@Mr.Custer
Jutland sounds interesting. Is that a tactical level ship sim?

@mariandavid
Any level appeals to me really as long as the game is done well. I really do like everything squad-level to grand strategy as long as I can play it single-player, it is turn-based (or pausable like the Paradox game model), and it makes you work but have fun at the same time =)

(in reply to Fishbed)
Post #: 17
RE: [OT] - So I'm looking for another WW2 game - 11/23/2009 2:45:23 PM   
Mr.Custer

Jutland has a campaign game and a tactical game.The Campaign game covers all of 1916.Every ship available to the Germans and British is available. It plays in real time, but can be speed up when required. If your into WW1 Naval warfare, I'd say its a must. Only downside, its a download only, and the campaign part of the game is sold separate. Would recommend getting both.

(in reply to Graymane)
Post #: 18
RE: [OT] - So I'm looking for another WW2 game - 11/23/2009 2:51:01 PM   
captskillet

you really ought to check out the Airborne Assualt series from Panther games...........Highway to the Reich and Conquest of the Agean......they will have another hitting the shelves soon (Dec or Jan) Battles for the Bulge.

"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

(in reply to Graymane)
Post #: 19
RE: [OT] - So I'm looking for another WW2 game - 11/23/2009 2:53:21 PM   
Graymane

@captskillet
Thanks, I will check those out as well.

@Mr.Custer
Thanks, I will check out both.

(in reply to captskillet)
Post #: 20
RE: [OT] - So I'm looking for another WW2 game - 11/23/2009 4:03:13 PM   
MorningDew

Check out the combination of Vassal for online playing and GMT Games. One addicting game is Combat Commander.

(in reply to Graymane)
Post #: 21
RE: [OT] - So I'm looking for another WW2 game - 11/23/2009 5:56:35 PM   
ETF

quote:

ORIGINAL: RisingSun

paradox just finish latest patch for HoI III, pretty good game but at first it was imcomplete...
http://www.heartsofirongame.com/

Agreed HOI III is the best SP & MP grand strategy WWII game on the market. HOI III is as detailed as you like. Many different user settings can allow a new user to hop right in the game. 1.3 Patch was a major add-on. Paradox patches there games forever it seems always tweaking them to make them as good as they can be. It is variable speed & pausable RTS. The speed is as slow as you want. No rush like RTS "strategy games" :)

Tactical try WWI (soon to be WWII) JUTLAND. The best naval tactical game on the market IMHO.

My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Combat Mission 5) Armor Brigade

Twitter
https://twitter.com/TacticWargamer

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 22
RE: [OT] - So I'm looking for another WW2 game - 11/23/2009 5:59:06 PM   
ETF

[[/quote]

If you liked 688(I), get Dangerous Waters. Its princing is ridiculous by now, and it's 688(I) a thousand times better by the same guys at Sonalysts (although now you can operate Seawolves, Akulas, Kilos, Perries, SH-60 & Orions too!) The multiplayer is a killah.
[/quote]

Curious how is the MP games....how does it work. I'm a sub your the destroyer etc? Can you have MP teams on say the same platforms?

Thx

My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Combat Mission 5) Armor Brigade

Twitter
https://twitter.com/TacticWargamer

(in reply to Fishbed)
Post #: 23
RE: [OT] - So I'm looking for another WW2 game - 11/23/2009 9:45:40 PM   
Q-Ball

I haven't bought a game since WITP or AE.

That Grigsby War in the East, once it's finished, looks tempting though.......

(in reply to ETF)
Post #: 24
RE: [OT] - So I'm looking for another WW2 game - 11/23/2009 10:13:20 PM   
LeeChard

HPS Simulations has a series of games called Squad Battles. They play a little like a computer version of Avalon Hill's Squad Leader.

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 25
RE: [OT] - So I'm looking for another WW2 game - 11/24/2009 6:54:09 AM   
Graymane

I downloaded the demo of Dangerous Waters. Looks good and the interface is exactly the same as Jane's 688(I), so easy to learn for me. I also ordered Silent Hunter 4, I found a $3 version on amazon $3?? I also downloaded steel panthers. I wanted to try some of the other Matrix games but the ones I'm interested in don't seem to have any demos, so a lot of them are going to get a pass I think. I will look for AARs and stuff. The Panther games especially looked good.

(in reply to LeeChard)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> [OT] - So I'm looking for another WW2 game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI