Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How much luck-based is combat in WitPAE?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> How much luck-based is combat in WitPAE? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How much luck-based is combat in WitPAE? - 11/25/2009 3:10:31 PM   
Riko

First of all, I'd like to say that I enjoy playing WitPAE as well as it's whole concept and presentation.
Nevertheless I'm unsure and got some questions:

1. Why don't battles show the factors that influence it's results? How should one analyse and improve in tactics without knowing these?
2. Why are battles fought in sequence one unit after another? The fighting in battles happens simultaneous and units influence another.

Don't knowing all the factors and getting different results each time, makes me feel like combat depends too much on dice and chance.
I really hope I'm totally wrong about this.
The game including shipment to Germany costed 83€ that I wouldn't have paid for a Panzer General style game.

Please excuse me if there's allready a similar topic. I'm German and couldn't find one.
Thanks in advance for your replies.
Post #: 1
RE: How much luck-based is combat in WitPAE? - 11/25/2009 3:28:07 PM   
jwilkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Riko

Very much! Each turn contains 1000s and 1000s of die rolls - hecque - each battle contains 100s of die rolls. Of course these "die rolls" are made "against" factors like unit experience and the condition of the unit and many other factors - but there is a whole lot of randomization going on under the hood.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to Riko)
Post #: 2
RE: How much luck-based is combat in WitPAE? - 11/25/2009 3:39:49 PM   
Swenslim

Hm... like in real life everything very much depends on dice and chance. All major naval battles in Pacific were won with much influence of dice and chance.

(in reply to Riko)
Post #: 3
RE: How much luck-based is combat in WitPAE? - 11/25/2009 4:44:12 PM   
Grotius

On the other hand, while there are lots of dice rolls, the player has many ways to increase the odds in his favor. More generally, better play will tend to generate better outcomes, especially as the game wears on. Over the long run in AE, luck plays less of a role and skill more of a role.

As golfer Ben Hogan once put it, "the more I practice the luckier I get." (Actually, this quotation is various ascribed to Arnold Palmer, Gary Player, and Tom Watson, but I think Hogan said it first.)

(in reply to Swenslim)
Post #: 4
RE: How much luck-based is combat in WitPAE? - 11/25/2009 5:02:42 PM   
pad152

Luck plays a part in specific battles but, not the war, that's up to you! I don't understand why anyone would want to play a game where the results for the same event are always the same? Just like in real life, sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't!

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 5
RE: How much luck-based is combat in WitPAE? - 11/25/2009 5:46:28 PM   
Riko

Thanks for these fast replies!

OK, I agree that theres got to be luck somewhere.
F.ex. it was pure luck that the Bismarck's steering was hit by a single torpedo which led to its sure destruction and this surely had some kind of impact on the war (not much so I guess...).
But I think luck isn't of very high relevance at the strategic/operational level.
That might be even more true at air and land battles than at sea.
Luck can't influence numbers like manpower, caliber, armor but only some variables like hitchance or personal/tactical decisions.
Even so I understand the importance of unforseeable variables in an otherwise fixed environment it would be great to know how big their influence is (percentage?).

My point is that luck should never be a decisive factor or the other game aspects (as great as they may be) become unimportant.
And what's about my 2 Questions.
Why aren't the variables influencing combat shown on the battle screen?
Is the battle calculated as a whole and just shown sequently?

And, yes I would like about same results if all battle-conditions stay the same...
But how about a lot of conditions that vary and are unforeseeable...
F.ex. your base units/officers experience is high. So you got a high chance that they make good decisions which to some degree positively influence the combat.

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 6
RE: How much luck-based is combat in WitPAE? - 11/25/2009 5:49:17 PM   
jwilkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Riko
And what's about my 2 Questions.
Why aren't the variables influencing combat shown on the battle screen?

They are - at least for land combat.

quote:

Is the battle calculated as a whole and just shown sequently?

Definitely not - each battle involves combat between individual elements - the result is the combination of all of these individual combats. Turn on animations and watch the air and naval battles and you will see this happening.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to Riko)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> How much luck-based is combat in WitPAE? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI