Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Chop wood, buy armoured car, rush city - is that it?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Chop wood, buy armoured car, rush city - is that it? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Chop wood, buy armoured car, rush city - is that it? - 11/14/2009 11:31:26 AM   
altipueri

Looks like I've made an expensive mistake buying this.

I wanted a game with a scenario generator but every random scenario starts off the same like some RTS rush to build stuff.

Steel Panthers has a scenario generator
Combat Mission has
And others?

In each case you select roughly time, territory, size, type of start.

But with AT you select territory and opponents but then it's always one city etc - am I missing something?

I guess TOAW with a scenario generator is what I want. Sid Meier's Gettysburg had a scenario generator over 10 years ago. I'm not a programmer so I guess I don't understand why it's so difficult to do. (Also why I couldn't understand most of the manual)

Help if I'm doing it wrong or tip for another game would be welcome. Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Chop wood, buy armoured car, rush city - is that it? - 11/14/2009 12:20:46 PM   
Grymme

Yes you are missing something, there are people who have edited the random scenario generator so that you start with more territory than one city.

My Advanced Tactics Mod page
http://atgscenarios.wordpress.com

30+ scenarios, maps and mods for AT and AT:G

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 2
RE: Chop wood, buy armoured car, rush city - is that it? - 11/14/2009 1:12:27 PM   
altipueri

Thank you for your reply Grymme - I saw your site and that you had produced some interesting looking scenarios - and for different periods which shows the potential of the programme.

When you say there are some people who have modded the scenario generator does that get round the always having to start building stuff?

Can one run the generator with your scenarios and get say a Punic War start?

(in reply to Grymme)
Post #: 3
RE: Chop wood, buy armoured car, rush city - is that it? - 11/14/2009 2:33:39 PM   
Grymme

Thanks.

I think there are at least a couple of edited random generators. But they are not universal. They are used to make random games more interesting.

Here is one that allows you to start with finished countries, armies etc. (this i think is what you were most looking for).
http://www.advancedtactics.org/scenario.php?nr=86

Also i know that Lunaticus is working on a random game editor for his space mod.
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2245374

And Bombur made a masterfile with other historical equipment that can be used in random games. Dont know if it modifies starting conditions. There are many threads about "the bombur mod".

I tried to play TOAW many times because there are such huge amounts of scenarios, but AT runs circles around it when it comes to interface, editor and sea/airwar features.

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 4
RE: Chop wood, buy armoured car, rush city - is that it? - 11/14/2009 2:36:36 PM   
Grymme

Also, this having to build stuff is not that time consuming. There are no building ques like in civ or any RTS games. You just set the location to produce whatever you want it to produce and it will do it till the end of time. You dont have to change it if you dont want to.

The economic aspect of the game can be anything from miniscul to major part of the game, depending on the scenario.

(in reply to Grymme)
Post #: 5
RE: Chop wood, buy armoured car, rush city - is that it? - 11/14/2009 8:18:52 PM   
altipueri

Well thanks for trying.

I loaded down the ARHS stuff, the other things it said, and your Spanish Civil War scenario.

As expected files ended up all over the place and nothing really worked but I got one Napoleonic game which lasted about 5 moves before I lost.

I guess clever programmer type people just don't realise how dim us dim people are.

But thanks again for trying.

(in reply to Grymme)
Post #: 6
RE: Chop wood, buy armoured car, rush city - is that it? - 11/14/2009 8:25:11 PM   
Grymme

I think you maybe need the Realist mod downloaded to get the Spanish Civil War scenario to work. Do you have it installed? Its a nice scenario, but really old so the briefing & instructions might be lacking.

Structure should be something like this

advanced tactics/bin/graphics/folder with name of the scenario, which contains the scenarios folder that contains the graphics folder of that scenerio/

&

advanced tactics/bin/scenarios/scenariofile (usually ending with .pt2) 

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 7
RE: Chop wood, buy armoured car, rush city - is that it? - 11/15/2009 12:02:44 AM   
Zaratoughda

I did the variation that allows you to start with countries instead of just a starting city.... it is on the AT community web site as Alternative Random Historical Scenarios, v2.7. It is in the Sandbox area because I have updated it a number of times and if you make a scenario official then you are supposed to be done updating it.

If you use one of the masterfiles I have included in ARHS you can select an option 'countries at start'.... in which case all the land on the map is given to the closest starting city. If you also select 'armies at start' then each city will be given starting forces, randomized but typically including one unit of each class.

But, there is still production like in normal AT.

However, the thing is, you can create your own masterfile if you want. In other words, you could create one where the cities can't produce units just supply and political points... in which you are pretty much stuck with the units you start with (this would be interesting). Or, you can make the COST of units so expensive that you are only gonna produce replacements at best. Plus, there are other things like the nationalities of cities and different nationalities producing things different for different controling countries.

Hmmm.... just thinking about this myself.... I wonder if it is possible to randomly have cities produce different things for different nationalities. With this, might try to force the computer AI to produce just this type of unit or that. Not sure this would be possible.

Zaratoughda

P.S. Steel Panthers has a random game generator all right and.... great game (winSPWW2) but..... it is no challange. I can give the computer AI twice the forces I get but... I then just concentrate on all my force on half it his, wipe it out, then get at the other half. Also, Steel Panthers does not have anything like the shroud of darkness which makes AT much more of a challange because you have to explore and adapt to what you find.

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 8
RE: Chop wood, buy armoured car, rush city - is that it? - 11/15/2009 11:51:51 AM   
altipueri

Thanks Grymme and Zaratoughda.

I got it working.

(in reply to Zaratoughda)
Post #: 9
RE: Chop wood, buy armoured car, rush city - is that it? - 11/16/2009 6:47:30 PM   
altipueri

Well thanks again to Grymme and Zaratoughda.

Three days ago I was about to toss this game, but now I've almost gone without food and sleep and not answered the phone whilst playing AT.

So I'm two years late picking up on this game but never mind.

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 10
RE: Chop wood, buy armoured car, rush city - is that it? - 11/16/2009 6:56:12 PM   
Grymme

Welcome to the sect :)

What exactly are you playing?

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 11
RE: Chop wood, buy armoured car, rush city - is that it? - 11/16/2009 9:44:26 PM   
altipueri

I've re-installed and gone back to playing vanilla until I feel I get it.

I'm still making mistakes and not getting supply/staff anywhere near right. Then just when I think I've got the AI he bombs me. What, aircraft, I forgot about them. And I can't get my engineers building roads as quickly as Al does.

I'll return to mods, and your scenarios later.

By the way, re War of the Triple Alliance - I recommend a book on Paraguay with the bizarre title "At the Tomb of the Inflatable Pig" by John Gimlette?

Re supply: there's an article in the November 14 issue of The Financial Times (OK, I agree not every wargamer's daily paper) on the NATO/US supply problem to Afghanistan - 1000 miles from Karachi to Khyber Pass to Kabul, by road. You can probably get it online. I'm imagining someone in the Pentagon playing AT trying to keep his little hexes green all the way.

(in reply to Grymme)
Post #: 12
RE: Chop wood, buy armoured car, rush city - is that it? - 11/26/2009 3:43:24 PM   
O.O. Howard

This was a nice thread to read. I liked how Grymme was patient and helpful. I also liked how altipueri came around. But without Grymme, this great game would have ended up in altipueri's trashcan.

Now altipueri, let me tell you that you will start to beat this game. Yes, maybe you are already! So what you do is set the AI up a notch. And when you beat that set it up to max!

One more thing. You will get tired of this game. But you will find in another month or two you will be itching to play it again. I mean you will really really want to play again. Yeah, that feeling sure comes back. I have been playing this game since before he was selling it and every now and then I MUST come back to it. This has been going on for a few years.

Finally, altipueri, you will be so glad you bought this game... even a few years from now!

So keep it on your hard drive and keep a disc safe.

Viva Carlotta!

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 13
RE: Chop wood, buy armoured car, rush city - is that it? - 11/28/2009 3:45:40 AM   
explorer2

Or better yet, after you get the hang of the game and have defeated the AI as much as you desire to, you'll try playing against humans and find an ENTIRELY new challenge. I had played a different strategy game by email before and had several bad experiences. Decided never to try that again. But after I got tired of the AI with AT, I decided to try one more time, and BOY was I pleased. The online community here is generally exceedingly helpful and very good sports. The gaming pleasure of playing people has FAR exceeded that of playing the AI for me, and I have also made some true friends in "real" life from playing them.
I encourage you to give it a try when you're ready.

(in reply to O.O. Howard)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Chop wood, buy armoured car, rush city - is that it? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI